Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014
If you only speak 1 language, why? You can better yourself for free and learn cool things about other cultures. I can speak English & French, and I'm learning German.

Learning languages is lots of fun. I think I might learn Spanish or Korean next, depending on which country has better racist oi punk bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Homophobia is really mean and wrong, so I reported you to the mods.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

nice post!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I took 4 years of Latin in high school, so I'm fluent with other people who took 4 years of Latin in high school.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I only speak Esperanto. I can't understand any other languages.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

criscodisco posted:

I took 4 years of Latin in high school, so I'm fluent with other people who took 4 years of Latin in high school.

I think it takes a lot more work to become fluent than take some highschool courses. You have to go out and meet people and immerse yourself in other cultures.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

my wife speaks 3 and sounds like a native in all 3 so i just live vicariously through her.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I speak like 1.5 languages. I took French for years and years, but it is so rusty from disuse that I wouldn't say I speak it. I can read and understand it pretty well still, though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the one that got your mom into bed, op

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

bazinga!

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
duas linguas, Latinam Angclicamque

And yeah I do speak Latin. It's loving hilarious.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
the only language that would benefit me in any way is polish, so i could eavesdrop on my wifes conversations with her relatives. whats that? one of the hardest languages to learn? oh no thanks, nevermind

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
High Elf, n'vati, common, and pig latin, so four.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Keg posted:

I think it takes a lot more work to become fluent than take some highschool courses. You have to go out and meet people and immerse yourself in other cultures.

Yeah that's why I said I was only fluent with other high schoolers.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Thank you for teaching people about fremdschämen.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I speak 3 languages. 4 if I gave a fat baby gently caress about Italian. 5 if I had married that Portuguese girl with that breathtakingly gorgeous accent.

Someone who speaks 3 languages is called trilingual

Someone who speaks 2 languages is called bilingual

Someone who speaks 1 language is called an American.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Four, I speak four languages.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I barely speak english

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keg posted:

Thank you for teaching people about fremdschämen.

And thank your mom for teaching people about krabben

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

And thank your mom for teaching people about krabben

Maybe you should use capital letters and punctuation while oversharing about your life instead of trying to make jokes

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I took french classes in high school and I took a russian class oen time in college, russian is hard as gently caress, like seriously super hard loving slav assholes

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OI-NVMVa8

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I speak ubbi dubbi

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Friginator posted:

I only speak Esperanto. I can't understand any other languages.

Ah, the fart language.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I took four years of Japanese in high school. Not because I'm some weaboo anime nerd or whatever, but because I was born in Yokosuka (military parents).
I can ask for essential things: toilet; water; booze. I can say things are delicious. I can say whether I understood the person or not. My terrible understanding and speaking of Japanese was enough for me to ask for directions when I got lost in the Tokyo subway during rush hour.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

YeahTubaMike posted:

I speak ubbi dubbi

more like speak cock sucker you son of a bitch :nono:

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
At what point can you really 'speak' a language... There are words I don't know, so I can't really be as bold as to say I've mastered any language

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

heyyyyoooooooo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keg posted:

Maybe you should use capital letters and punctuation while oversharing about your life instead of trying to make jokes

Suce ma bite , vous fuckman

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

2.5 languages,

oh, and el OP es un Puto

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i speak every language worth speaking

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Keg posted:

Homophobia is really mean and wrong, so I reported you to the mods.

That's no joke; a fellow fallen poster caught a 6xer for this, which is pretty lol, but, what you gonna do

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am a native speaker of English.
I can speak high school French
I can speak Korean OK.
I have the tiniest fragments of Japanese, and Mandarin.

Also I know Hello, Thank You, and some numbers in a bunch of other languages because seriously, who in the gently caress doesn't know what "danke shein" and "bonjourno" etc. means?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Absoluetely poo poo-tier German and Czech. I am really impressed by people who can learn other languages.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I was a sex slave (well, more of an indentured servant, but "slave" for tax reasons) of Poggle the Lesser from November 2003 through July 17th, 2005. Picked up some of whatever his language is.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
English and Klingon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I don't speak any languages

• Locked thread