Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

a hole-y ghost posted:

I don't speak any languages

What about... the language of love? :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

The Bananana posted:

What about... the language of love? :bigtran:

Love is a lie. Nothing but a biological urge to spread your DNA.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
The only language I see in this thread is some kind of dumb bitch language. OP has an especially strong accent.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Why hasn't anybody posted about why they only speak 1 language?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I grew up speaking English and Japanese, then took 6 years of German and two years of American Sign Language.

The only thing I know now is a moderate grade of English and some 1998 HTML.

Edit: The reason is that I didn't have anyone to practice with. I can recognize a tooooon of languages quickly (written and heard) but I probably couldn't get from the airport to my hotel in Tokyo if my life depended on it.

They say it is easy to pick up again and maybe that is true but all I can manage to do is scribble out some Japanese characters that make a little sense.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 2, 2016

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

now this guys speakin' my language

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Keg posted:

Why hasn't anybody posted about why they only speak 1 language?
The only reason why 99% of Americans ever study a foreign language at all is to half-rear end it and lord it over or compete with their countrymen and not to effectively communicate with foreigners HOPE THAT loving HELPS, BITCH rear end OP.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Keg posted:

Maybe you should use capital letters and punctuation while oversharing about your life instead of trying to make jokes

why are you so passive aggressive all the time?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

The only reason why 99% of Americans ever study a foreign language at all is to half-rear end it and lord it over or compete with their countrymen and not to effectively communicate with foreigners HOPE THAT loving HELPS, BITCH rear end OP.

I like having friends from all over the world, and I believe we have a lot to share with eachother culturally and personally.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
When I got out of the anal recovery wing of the Geonosian hospital after my indentured servitude to Poggle the Lesser, I was abducted by an upside-down ice cream cone with fangs that took me to a magical, wonderful biscuit-world where everyone communicating in throat-scathing screeches. You'd be walking down the street, oiling your own toothpick and someone would go like "EEEEEEEEEEEEGHH EEEEEEEEEEGH!! And you'd be like "EEEEEEGH EEE EEGH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGH!!" It's a beautiful language. Basically the goal is to be as loud and high-pitched as possible, and each letter is spoken individually. The most used letters are the high-pitched screeches that go on the longest. They use a lot of abbreviations, though, like in the exchange I posted above. I highly recommend everyone here practise it immediately by suddenly screeching for as long as they can after reading this. Thank you? Thank you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just really wish I had started taking Spanish instead of French. Spanish I could have actually used. French just lets me watch foreign movies and critique the translations of the subtitles.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just really wish I had started taking Spanish instead of French. Spanish I could have actually used. French just lets me watch foreign movies and critique the translations of the subtitles.

They're similar languages, and I believe you can learn Spanish if you decide to try :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Keg posted:

They're similar languages, and I believe you can learn Spanish if you decide to try :)

I can actually read Spanish with a fair degree of comprehension due to that similarity. I am still trying to figure out a way to actually take some courses in it.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Keg posted:

I like having friends from all over the world, and I believe we have a lot to share with eachother culturally and personally.
Same but it's not really a thing you can talk about with other Americans without being utterly shat upon and having the most disgusting motivations ascribed to you because of it (see the first person to mention Japanese in this thread talking about weeaboos). German: Nazi. French: Snob. Any Asian language: Sex tourist or weeaboo. I suspect that's precisely what you were trying to demonstrate with your retarded GBS honeypot thread. It also doesn't help that study abroad is often a means for Americans to virtue signal or demonstrate that they are a member of a privileged class of enlightened worldly people.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Le none of your el businesso

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

Same but it's not really a thing you can talk about with other Americans without being utterly shat upon and having the most disgusting motivations ascribed to you because of it (see the first person to mention Japanese in this thread talking about weeaboos). German: Nazi. French: Snob. Any Asian language: Sex tourist or weeaboo. I suspect that's precisely what you were trying to demonstrate with your retarded GBS honeypot thread. It also doesn't help that study abroad is often a means for Americans to virtue signal or demonstrate that they are a member of a privileged class of enlightened worldly people.

Actually, I wanted to know what languages GBS posters like to speak.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Keg posted:

Actually, I wanted to know what languages GBS posters like to speak.
gently caress off to BYOB.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
im working on a dialect i call "generic asian" that I hope to use on my walking tour of the oriental countries

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

gently caress off to BYOB.

There are people in your life who love you, imagine what they would think if they saw your mean-spirited posts.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Keg posted:

There are people in your life who love you, imagine what they would think if they saw your mean-spirited posts.
Your anki flashcard deck consists of several variations of "GBS déteste les femmes"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I studied Latin, French and Ancient Greek and I remember nothing.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

Your anki flashcard deck consists of several variations of "GBS déteste les femmes"

Be kind to those around you, and accept kindness from others too.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
It doesn't matter how many languages you speak, you're not going to make many friends by being desperate for attention/approval, condescending, and preachy.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
There's a really nice German language megathread in the educational forum. Go there and you too can be called a nazi repeatedly by people who should know better.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

There's a really nice German language megathread in the educational forum. Go there and you too can be called a nazi repeatedly by people who should know better.

I don't think they would do that.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Keg posted:

Imagine what they would think if they could see you haunting a forum full of unevenly situated alcoholics and/or generally surly adult men trying to milk some post out of them where you can sense them getting steamed as they write it or whatever.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Let us use this thread to practice our language skills. All skill levels are welcome and this is a safe space for beginners and experts alike. With my two weeks of duolingo, personalized flashcard deck, and posting with like-minded people on Viadeo, here is my attempt:

À mon avis, Keg suce la merde hors de son propre cul. Je voudrais l'assassiner sauvagement.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

*flips through phrasebook*

parlee vouz animu?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
English ! Albanian ! And Italian ! That's 3! 3 completely useless languages ! I wish I knew god drat elvish ! gently caress you all

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hogge Wild posted:

why are you so passive aggressive all the time?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I speak English and was taught French in the third grade and took two years of German in high school, but I never used either of them afterward so I barely remember anything. I am decent at sign language, though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
OP you have plat and you didn't make a poll? Shameful.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al Cowens posted:

I'm pretty sure you're a weeaboo and keg is being a snob in this thread so.. .

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Airborne Viking posted:

OP you have plat and you didn't make a poll? Shameful.

Yes, bring the hammer down on Keg

texasmed
May 27, 2004
-english
-basic spanish
-leet
-ebonics

I need to learn Mandarin since :china: is gonna run the planet in a couple years

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I speak

English
Spanish
French

(Just had an evaluation in French last thursday, scored at a high Level 3 on the ILR scale)

I will be starting some informal study in Wolof soon and then in January I start full time Joola study.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Although my Spanish has really suffered lately, I've spent almost every waking moment thinking about, reading, listening to, talking in french. Now when I try to speak spanish french words come out, also when I speak english.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'm pretty sure you're a weeaboo and keg is being a snob in this thread so.. .
Ever mentioning that you speak Japanese or French tends to give fucktards like you those respective impressions, yes. THAT'S THE WHOLE loving POINT OF THE POST RETARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i speak practical conversational japanese and chinese and i also remember all my hiraganas and katakanas and a bunch of kanjis

• Locked thread