Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Keg posted:

Actually, I'm happy.
This would have, potentially, been an OK thread with interesting discussion if someone other than you posted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Al Cowens posted:

This would have, potentially, been an OK thread with interesting discussion if someone other than you posted it.

I dont know why you're picking on great posters like keg why don't you go fly a kite or something!!

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

4outof5 posted:

I dont know why you're picking on great posters like keg why don't you go fly a kite or something!!

NOT.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Oh poo poo! A not joke!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

I have been learning swedish for a couple years, but whenever i go to sweden, i am too terrified to do anything other than ask a man at a gas station if he has a spoon for my yogurt. And everyone in scandinavia speaks english quite well. Learning languages is difficult if you don't have many people to practice with. :(

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
.. -- / --. .- -.-- / -..-. / -.-. ..- -.-. -.- / -..-. / .-.. --- .-..

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

jeff smisek posted:

I have been learning swedish for a couple years, but whenever i go to sweden, i am too terrified to do anything other than ask a man at a gas station if he has a spoon for my yogurt. And everyone in scandinavia speaks english quite well. Learning languages is difficult if you don't have many people to practice with. :(
yeah it's hard with languages like that because people tend to appreciate your effort but keep trying to just talk to you in english because it's easier

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah it's hard with languages like that because people tend to appreciate your effort but keep trying to just talk to you in english because it's easier

This is pretty much only true in Sweden, where self-loathing has become a religion and people will take any chance they get to speak English for a chance to be complimented on how good their English is. In the rest of Scandinavia, and also the Netherlands, where people also speak great English, people will continue to speak their native language if that is how you attempt to engage them.

Also well done picking the gayest of three mutually intelligible languages dumbass

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only speak English but it's all you need across Europe, even if the other person only speaks their native language. All you need to do is speak louder and put on an accent and they understand you fine.

For example, in France : EXCUSEZ MISSURE, WHEREZ LE TRAIN STATION SEE VU PLATT... YOU KNOW, *CHOO CHOO*?

Works fine for me.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Grew up in Ukraine, so fluent in Russian and can understand (but not produce) Ukrainian 100%. Learned English as my third language, confident enough to claim fluency. General professional proficiency in Pashto, can read/write (slowly) and hold a conversation about most topics while looking like an idiot. Three years of Spanish in high school, didn't give a gently caress or actually try to learn anything, so I can understand maybe 40% of what I hear or read, can't produce it too well. I've wanted to learn Arabic (MSA) for a few years now, but too busy with business school.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My mother tongue is Polish, but growing up in a different country I ended up learning Dutch and English as well. Now I'm studying Japanese because I am a huge nerd.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i speak the universal language of music

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

spud posted:

EXCUSEZ MISSURE, WHEREZ LE TRAIN STATION SEE VU PLATT... YOU KNOW, *CHOO CHOO*?

Way to show off. This is obviously native-level french dialog.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

KomodoWagon posted:

This is pretty much only true in Sweden, where self-loathing has become a religion and people will take any chance they get to speak English for a chance to be complimented on how good their English is. In the rest of Scandinavia, and also the Netherlands, where people also speak great English, people will continue to speak their native language if that is how you attempt to engage them.

Also well done picking the gayest of three mutually intelligible languages dumbass

It's impossible to learn a Scandinavian language when visiting, but once you move there people will get bored of the novelty of speaking English and will just ignore you and start speaking their native language while you look at everyone with a polite smile assuming that everyone in Scandinavia really likes English people.

Then you learn it and realize that everyone loving hates dumbass monolingual British / American retards and just spend their entire time mocking them and calling them faggots in viking.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Also the best thing about the scandinavian languages are that there are so many retarded dialects that you don't even need to become 100% fluent because people will just assume that your weird grammatical gently caress-ups and confusing nonsense words are because you're a farmer or a mountain person or something unless you are completely tone deaf and keep your English accent.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

KomodoWagon posted:

Sorry for wanting to talk with my friends.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

KomodoWagon posted:

you're saying it's the gayest one and then insulting jeff for picking it I'm getting mixed messages here :confused:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i apparently speak good enough norwegian that norwegian people will carry on entire face-to-face conversations with me without requesting that we speak in english, which is nice

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

i apparently speak good enough norwegian that norwegian people will carry on entire face-to-face conversations with me without requesting that we speak in english, which is nice

You know you have a good grasp of a language when you can visit relatives in a rural area and get into an argument with their drunken hick neighbor without missing a beat.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
For the more languages a man can speak,
His talent has but sprung the greater leak;
And, of the industry he has spent upon't,
Must full as much some other way discount.
The Hebrew, Chaldee, and the Syriac
Do, like their letters, set men's reason back,
And turn their wits that strive to understand it
(Like those that write the characters) left-handed.
Yet he that is but able to express
No sense at all in several languages,
Will pass for learneder than he that's known
To speak the strongest reason in his own.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm only fluent in English, but I know a very small part of Italian and French. And I know enough Japanese to get the gist of what is being said to me, but I can't articulate a reply, and can't read hiragana or most kanji. I'm also working on trying to learn Japanese and Korean for work, because I'm an accountant and a handful of my clients have foreign income, and W-2 equivalents that are entirely in those languages. Or I have clients that have straight from Korea wives and stuff. So I figure it would be nice if I could speak to them in a language that isn't pretty broken for them. Anyway, that's my story about how I'm gonna learn anime speak for actual real life uses.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I can do the whole alphabet on op's mom

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Broken english. I learned from road signs and advertisements.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I speak English and Bulgarian fluently, although if I'm being honest I can't write Cyrillic very well (can't remember all the letters when I go to write, I can read it though).

I also speak some Spanish cuz of HS and living where I do and some German (very very little though, an embarrassingly little amount given that I lived there for a year+).

I'd like to get my Spanish and German up to snuff and maybe learn something else too... what is the best way to do that? Was thinking about Rosetta Stone mebbe but I heard that it wasn't all that great really.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Exactly my experience in Germany. I'd like kinda try and they'd laugh and just switch to English to make it easier which is considerate but at the same time I'm trying to fix my broken Deutsche dammit

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Three, only fluent in two. Français ne sont pas utiles.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I speak 2-4 languages, I grew up with my family speaking English, but I was in Papua New Guinea so I picked up enough pidgin to get by.

I'm an interpreter in Auslan (Australian Sign Language) by trade so I guess that counts.

And I'm working on Spanish and am slowly becoming conversational.That is to say I can have a chat with the cleaning lady at work.

Sign language is a pretty sweet language to learn. You can talk through windows and underwater. And the Deaf are pretty chill people most of the time. It definitely has some limitations compared to English but the versatility of 3D grammar can be put to great use in some specific situations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
English is my 2nd language, my first is actually caveman grunts

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jestery posted:

Sign language is a pretty sweet language to learn. You can talk through windows and underwater. And the Deaf are pretty chill people most of the time. It definitely has some limitations compared to English but the versatility of 3D grammar can be put to great use in some specific situations.
Secret To Communicating With 3D Girls Discovered

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

GBS hates happiness.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Keg posted:

GBS hates happiness.
No. We hate people being happy; there is a difference.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Mostly we just hate Keg.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

a hole-y ghost posted:

Secret To Communicating With 3D Girls Discovered

http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/hi-1.html

http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/girl-2.html

http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/you-1.html