Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

he made TWO movies based on books that were better than the books which is insane, The Shining (some people might disagree) and A Clockwork Orange (anyone who disagrees is a goddamn moron)

Absolutely agree. The Shining film removed all of King's worst psychic ghost poo poo and made the story even more haunting. Clockwork Orange's novel ends on a really stupid, almost idealistic note, so I'm glad the film still ends on the precipice that chaos is still in the cards.

Echoing the praise for Barry Lyndon, probably the most underrated of the bigger-budget Kubrick movies. The story is fantastic, I love it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

notZaar posted:

Yeah you can always tell who is a piece of poo poo by how much they respect and admire the psychotic dehumanizing drill sergeant.
It's even funnier when they hire him for insurance commercials.
Same goes with people who revere Tyler Durden or Gordon Gekko. To some people's surprise, sociopaths are incapable of realizing when their sociopathic behaviour is being criticised.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I've painted the barry lyndon poster on my balcony (the rose is made of black and red scrap metal)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

thatfatkid posted:

The first half represents Order, the second half Chaos. Of course the 2nd half of the movie isn't going to be as enjoyable or consistent.

without even getting esoteric about stuff like Order and Chaos, but saying the same thing, the first half is Joker being trained to deal with situations you can't be trained to deal with

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Dave Concepcion posted:

I've painted the barry lyndon poster on my balcony (the rose is made of black and red scrap metal)

this is cool.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the shining owned

https://vimeo.com/143734339

it was a haunted house on film

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

the post about being able to freeze frame any moment in that movie and hang it on the wall as a piece of art was pretty much spot on

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OMFG FURRY posted:

the shining owned

https://vimeo.com/143734339

it was a haunted house on film

Seriously I cannot praise it enough, The Shinning owns and it's ruined me for other "horror" movies that aren't blatant camp

Also I got a copy of Barry Lyndon gonna watch that this weekend I think

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHYMyXB8fvg

starts 12 seconds in for some reason

barry lyndon foreplay

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

My favorites are Eyes Wide Shut, 2001, and The Shining. I just ordered Barry Lyndon based on the recommendations here. I'll be watching it for the first time this weekend!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the coen bros are currently the greatest living filmmakers

you could make a pretty good case for this but theyve been growing super indulgent in recent years. see: hail caesar

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Also I got a copy of Barry Lyndon gonna watch that this weekend I think

Day Man posted:

I just ordered Barry Lyndon based on the recommendations here. I'll be watching it for the first time this weekend!

Oh man I envy you being able to see this beautiful, gorgeous movie for the first time

In case you didn't know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_Planar_50mm_f/0.7

Kubrick bought lenses from NASA to be able to film in candlelight

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

you could make a pretty good case for this but theyve been growing super indulgent in recent years. see: hail caesar

They've always been hit or miss although their hits are really great. I think their record is too spotty to qualify as "greatest living".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dave Concepcion posted:

Oh man I envy you being able to see this beautiful, gorgeous movie for the first time

In case you didn't know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_Planar_50mm_f/0.7

Kubrick bought lenses from NASA to be able to film in candlelight

quote:

In total there were only 10 lenses made. One was kept by Carl Zeiss, six were sold to NASA, and three were sold to Stanley Kubrick.

drat

And yeah, you will never regret buying that DVD. Watch it on the largest, best screen you can find.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

notZaar posted:

They've always been hit or miss although their hits are really great. I think their record is too spotty to qualify as "greatest living".

youre probably right. if they quit making movies in like 2002 or so you could make the argument imo. their later comedies are good and weird but a little too navel gazing

i dont think theres anyone on kubricks level now living. tarkovsky was probably up there with him though

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

This is the protective case on my phone.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Viruswithshoes posted:

how many native americans had to die to make that case

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

how many native americans had to die to make that case

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I did not know that. I'm very excited! I'll be watching on a 60 inch plasma. Not as good as the big screen, but I think it'll do it justice.

Did anyone else see The Revenant? Some of my favorite recent cinematography. I believe the entire film was shot with natural light, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

There Will Be Blood is also one of my absolute favorite films, and shot wonderfully.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
The Shining is maybe the only movie that has just tenaciously clung to my subconscious so effectively. I have to watch it at least once a year to get it out of my system. It is just sublime. One of my favorite parts about The Shining is how the Overlook Hotel is spacially impossible. When Danny rides his bike around the upper balcony area of the Colorado Lounge he passes hotel room doors that cannot possibly lead anywhere, as the hypothetical rooms would be inside the upper space of the lounge. When Jack goes into the red bathroom with Delbert Grady, the turns they make through the antechambers to the main bathroom would place the bathroom right where the bar is in the Gold Room. Also in the Colorado Lounge, there is a hallway that is impossibly placed behind the large windows that face the outside, and you see a few people walk down it when the family is getting the tour at the beginning of the film. Also the "impossible window" in the manager's office which could not possibly be facing outside. There are numerous other examples too. All of it done intentionally to subliminally disorient the viewer. Absolutely masterful.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked the movie way more than the novel, but feel that the hedge animals would have been great to see. As they were in the novel they were okay, but I have a feeling Kubrick would have done very creepy things with them.

In case you haven't read it, there are a bunch of hedge animals at the Overlook that move when you don't look at them. A rabbit could be 50' away facing another direction, but if you glace away then return to it, it will have moved towards you. A bunch of these chase Danny and I think one of them catches him and the thorns start to bleed him before something makes them stop.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
So psyched for all the people watching Barry Lyndon for the first time. Please report back, all of you.
I watch it every year on/near my birthday. It's entrancing, just like a living painting. And so funny.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!

Junk posted:

The Shining is maybe the only movie that has just tenaciously clung to my subconscious so effectively. I have to watch it at least once a year to get it out of my system. It is just sublime. One of my favorite parts about The Shining is how the Overlook Hotel is spacially impossible. When Danny rides his bike around the upper balcony area of the Colorado Lounge he passes hotel room doors that cannot possibly lead anywhere, as the hypothetical rooms would be inside the upper space of the lounge. When Jack goes into the red bathroom with Delbert Grady, the turns they make through the antechambers to the main bathroom would place the bathroom right where the bar is in the Gold Room. Also in the Colorado Lounge, there is a hallway that is impossibly placed behind the large windows that face the outside, and you see a few people walk down it when the family is getting the tour at the beginning of the film. Also the "impossible window" in the manager's office which could not possibly be facing outside. There are numerous other examples too. All of it done intentionally to subliminally disorient the viewer. Absolutely masterful.

Yeah I'm sure they're totally intentional as opposed to poo poo from the Goofs section of IMDb.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Viruswithshoes posted:

So you're a big fan of bees?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

youre probably right. if they quit making movies in like 2002 or so you could make the argument imo.

no country came out in 2007???

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Day Man posted:

I did not know that. I'm very excited! I'll be watching on a 60 inch plasma. Not as good as the big screen, but I think it'll do it justice.

Did anyone else see The Revenant? Some of my favorite recent cinematography. I believe the entire film was shot with natural light, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

There Will Be Blood is also one of my absolute favorite films, and shot wonderfully.

The Revenant was loving awful. Probably the most pretentious movie i've ever seen.

drguildo posted:

Yeah I'm sure they're totally intentional as opposed to poo poo from the Goofs section of IMDb.

Kubrick was OCD. Everything in his films is intentional.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

haha/ "most pretentious movie i've ever seen" what an award, anyway i doubt it, 90% of best picture nods are blisteringly pretentious crapsacks

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
do you honestly think the ~natives are so spiritual with nature~ crap was anything but disney tier trite. The cinematography and acting was good though

the wind through the trees thing brought everything down to such a dumb hokey level

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

All I said was that the cinematography was gorgeous. The natural lighting and filming techniques were amazing. There were problems with the movie otherwise, yes. The talk about the NASA lens used to film in candlelight made me think of it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pro tip: Don't buy the DVDs of Kubrick's films.

Buy the Blu-Rays. Most look spectacular.

The difference is gigantic, especially since Barry Lyndon wasn't even 16x9 enhanced on its remastered DVD.

Another difference is this:

All of the films have either lossless (DTS-HD MA) or uncompressed (PCM) audio tracks, even the monaural ones. You're talking about better-than-CD quality audio.

Spartacus even has a 7.1 remix of the original 70mm 6-track mix.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Egbert Souse posted:

Pro tip: Don't buy the DVDs of Kubrick's films.

Buy the Blu-Rays. Most look spectacular.

The difference is gigantic, especially since Barry Lyndon wasn't even 16x9 enhanced on its remastered DVD.

Another difference is this:

All of the films have either lossless (DTS-HD MA) or uncompressed (PCM) audio tracks, even the monaural ones. You're talking about better-than-CD quality audio.

Spartacus even has a 7.1 remix of the original 70mm 6-track mix.

for home video release kubrick actually did his own pan and scans because he didnt believe in letterboxing believe it or not

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
it sucks that he liked mono so much, thankfully his stuff is usually pretty clear between voices and music. unlike say batman where all kinds of whizbang noises are going on.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
barry lyndon ftw

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

w00tmonger posted:

2001 is probably the best movie that has ever been made. Separately but also, it has been the best mushroom experience of all time

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dave Concepcion posted:

the post about being able to freeze frame any moment in that movie and hang it on the wall as a piece of art was pretty much spot on

Isn't this the movie where the crazy lighting guy used only candles and natural light for the whole movie

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

strangelove hardly stacks up to tammy. can we stop talking about yesterday already??

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Don Tacorleone posted:

Isn't this the movie where the crazy lighting guy used only candles and natural light for the whole movie

Yes and no.
They used the crazy NASA camera for the candle lit scenes (there are many), and common techniques for the rest, carefully crafted to look like natural light.
And it won an Oscar for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Scudworth posted:

So psyched for all the people watching Barry Lyndon for the first time. Please report back, all of you.
I watch it every year on/near my birthday. It's entrancing, just like a living painting. And so funny.

I am also curious to hear the first-timers report back.

Best thing about this thread: getting people to watch Barry Lyndon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

thatfatkid posted:

The Revenant was loving awful. Probably the most pretentious movie i've ever seen.

Umm.. it was pretty good actually

• Locked thread