Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
When I was growing up, we had a wee little rowboat named the Blueberry. Light and simple, constructed out of ply, and covered with years of bodged repairs and dings, it was the perfect boat for a kid to row around a lake. About 15 years ago, it got dropped onto something sharp and strong, cracking through the hull (which is 1/4" marine ply). It's been up on blocks ever since, but kept out of the rain under the boat house.

I'm on vacation for the next three weeks and plan to get it back in the water.

Here is my plan of attack.

1.) Strip all paint and get it back to the bare wood.
2.) Repair the hole (how?).
3.) Treat wood with bleach and borate/ethylene glycol to kill dry rot.
4.) Interior marine epoxy and exterior epoxy/Fiberglass to reinforce/protect the wood.
5.) Paint
6.) Rebuild seats/slatted false floor.

Most of the structural ply is pretty solid. It bows without crackling, and a coat of epoxy mixed with a little acetone to thin it out and promote absorption should make it relatively indestructible. Combine that with a later of fiberglass on the outside and it should be a lot stronger and not unreasonably heavier.

The seat supports are screwed in blocks and a little punky feeling. Those will get replaced with epoxy treated wood.

Oar locks and handles are original and uncorroded. Clean and repaint or burnish.

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding how to fix the stoved in section. Most of the ply is still there, but cracked up. My thought was that I can use bolts/screws to butt a solid piece of hardboard/melamine to the inside of the boat, pushing the cracked prices back in place, then injecting liquid epoxy into the voids from the exterior. Fill gaps with microfiber/epoxy putty et voila. The boat will never see rough waters, being on a small inland lake, and I figure that since the material is all there, it should hold together strongly. Is this a reasonable approach?

Any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated. First time fixing a wood boat, but this seems like a good first project. I have a lot of love for this boat, and many helping hands.

Some pics of the boat as stored when I pulled it out yesterday and from scraping/washing it out today:
https://imgur.com/a/u9mDa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
Reserved for updates.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
Never having stripped before, I had no idea how far chemical stripper would go. Apparently not so far. This is what I did with a quart.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nobody's commented yet, but don't stop posting! I'm finding this super interesting!

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Shampoo posted:

Nobody's commented yet, but don't stop posting! I'm finding this super interesting!

Thanks man. I've never tried this before. My uncle has tried to convince me that I can just fiberglass over the paint, but that seems like a quick fix trap.

I love this boat and figure that if I do everything right now, she'll last long enough to be my daughter's favorite when she is old enough.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Shampoo posted:

Seriously. Super neat.

Since this is just paint over wood, I think I'd probably go with a decently-coarse sandpaper on a power sander and go to town. Based on what it looks like the paint is doing, I think that would be a little more efficient than chemical stripper and whatever tools you're using. I can only imagine that the wood itself needs some evening out as well.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seriously. Super neat.

Since this is just paint over wood, I think I'd probably go with a decently-coarse sandpaper on a power sander and go to town. Based on what it looks like the paint is doing, I think that would be a little more efficient than chemical stripper and whatever tools you're using. I can only imagine that the wood itself needs some evening out as well.

The paint is unusually thick. The stripper is a heck of a lot faster than 60 grit on a random orbital. I'm going to mix resin with a fairing/filler additive to smooth out any rough patches and fill in all the screw holes you can see in the corners after it gets a coat of penetrating resin. It'll take 3/4 days to cure, but will make the boat a lot smoother and stronger. The floor and sides are made of 3ply. I can bend them with my hands. It's always been like that, but i figure it could use all the reinforcement I can give it, without changing the original structure significantly.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ShotgunWillie posted:

The paint is unusually thick. The stripper is a heck of a lot faster than 60 grit on a random orbital. I'm going to mix resin with a fairing/filler additive to smooth out any rough patches and fill in all the screw holes you can see in the corners after it gets a coat of penetrating resin. It'll take 3/4 days to cure, but will make the boat a lot smoother and stronger. The floor and sides are made of 3ply. I can bend them with my hands. It's always been like that, but i figure it could use all the reinforcement I can give it, without changing the original structure significantly.

Dang. Wish I could suggest more but my experience with chemical strippers is pretty basic and even less-so with wood. Either, cool project!

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Nice project and good to see that thing held up so well after so many years. I had a ton of fun building a cedar strip kayak a few years back. My many mistakes might be of help.
If you're planning to reglass the hull, that's probably going to take care of the hole, structurally anyway. Then you can just fillet with epoxy+ sawdust on the inside to fill the void.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Mister Dog posted:

Nice project and good to see that thing held up so well after so many years. I had a ton of fun building a cedar strip kayak a few years back. My many mistakes might be of help.
If you're planning to reglass the hull, that's probably going to take care of the hole, structurally anyway. Then you can just fillet with epoxy+ sawdust on the inside to fill the void.

Hull has never been glassed before, although the corners have been previously slathered with ancient epoxy. Any other advice?

Progress, Day 2: Strippin'

Chemical strip exposed two things. First, the original registry number, signpainted on both sides of the bow. Second, the sides are stained blue, even after being stripped. My wife, who paints, informed me that many blue paints contain dyes as well as pigments. But then why aren't the bottom, prow and stern stained as well?

OH•8033•AK
Any way to look up this old Ohio registry? I knew the boat was originally brought to Canada from Ohio, but I wonder if this number is still linked to anything.
I think we'll repaint the numbers on once we repaint.

Epoxy in the corners, smoothed down with random orbital. Really just gobbed on.

Nekked.

Tomorrow, borax/boric acid to halt any rot, stripping the inside and maybe some fairing work.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I wish I could contribute other than saying it's an awesome project (which it is!) but there is someone in the woodworking thread that just finished up a canoe, maybe they'd be able to give you advice on patching that hole or point you to someone who can. Here's a link to their post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&pagenumber=332&perpage=40#post461327219

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
Post stripping, the ply seems quite solid considering the age. The corners are chewed up, but that is to be expected.

Even so, I mixed up some old school borate anti-rot. 65% water (water from the pump up at the lake is very high in tannic acid), 20% borax, 15% boric acid, boiled to dissolve. This soaks into the wood and kills any spores/live organisms it comes across.

Some people will mix the borates with propylene or ethylene glycol, which is hugely effective at killing and preventing rot, but it is VERY slow to dry and has some compatibility issues with the marine epoxy I will be using. Since rot is not a big issue, I'll stick to just the water based stuff.

Painting it on:

The wood was slow to absorb it, which suggests to me that it is still pretty solid and retains some of the original water resistance that marine plywood should have. Thank god.

The soak highlighted some interesting tidbits, such as the old school wood filler used to cover the original construction screws.

Sawdust mixed with glue makes a great filler. While most of the plugs have fallen out during various repairs over the last 50-60 years, these remain as a testament to the man who built this boat with love, as he hid in the garage from his spouse.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

ShotgunWillie posted:

OH•8033•AK
Any way to look up this old Ohio registry?

Does it have a hull identification number? This is typically on a smaller metal plate in two places on the boat, one inside and one out. One can lookup a registration history with that.
Is your plan to repaint once you have it all stripped and killed?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Mister Dog posted:

Does it have a hull identification number? This is typically on a smaller metal plate in two places on the boat, one inside and one out. One can lookup a registration history with that.
Is your plan to repaint once you have it all stripped and killed?

If there was a plate, it is lost to the ages.

I'll be repainting to the original theme. The boat has been called the 'Blueberry' for the last 30 years and has always been blue.

Navy outside, light blue interior, dark green removable floors and white trim/lettering is the current mindscheme.

Here's what the removable floor looks like. This distributes and keep pressure off the thin wood hull.

They're beat to heck and so I plan on making new ones during the 2x4 day epoxy curing times.

Stripping the interior:

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Apologies in advance if you've already got all this figured out and I sound like a self-important rear end. But since diy threads are all about kicking around ideas, here goes!
If you're going to be using fiberglass, cover the entire exterior hull with cloth, like this guy has done in this blatantly stolen photo

Then epoxy the whole thing, which turns it all transparent. Your blue underlying should show thru at this point and the combination of epoxy+fiberglass+1/4 ply will be strong enough to stand on.
Also, after any epoxy is cured, be sure to cover with a uv-resistant marine poly. Unprotected epoxy has poo poo uv-resistance and will start going brittle on you in a short time with regular use. Interlux schooner finish goes on beautifully.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Mister Dog posted:

Apologies in advance if you've already got all this figured out and I sound like a self-important rear end. But since diy threads are all about kicking around ideas, here goes!
If you're going to be using fiberglass, cover the entire exterior hull with cloth, like this guy has done in this blatantly stolen photo

Then epoxy the whole thing, which turns it all transparent. Your blue underlying should show thru at this point and the combination of epoxy+fiberglass+1/4 ply will be strong enough to stand on.
Also, after any epoxy is cured, be sure to cover with a uv-resistant marine poly. Unprotected epoxy has poo poo uv-resistance and will start going brittle on you in a short time with regular use. Interlux schooner finish goes on beautifully.

That's the plan. I have about 10yds of 6oz cloth.

My question is how is he holding that sheeting on and so tight to the curves of the boat? Loose staples?

It's gonna get painted with marine enamel

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

ShotgunWillie posted:

My question is how is he holding that sheeting on and so tight to the curves of the boat? Loose staples?

Nothing really needs to hold it at the start. Loosely get it in place and mostly flat (which may require cutting the cloth at the sharpest angles) and start with the epoxy at the keel, then down each side, smoothing as you go. I suppose you could use a few spots of epoxy to tack it more in place before you started if you wanted to be sure how it would lay before you fully committed, but shouldn't need any more than that.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Mister Dog posted:

Nothing really needs to hold it at the start. Loosely get it in place and mostly flat (which may require cutting the cloth at the sharpest angles) and start with the epoxy at the keel, then down each side, smoothing as you go. I suppose you could use a few spots of epoxy to tack it more in place before you started if you wanted to be sure how it would lay before you fully committed, but shouldn't need any more than that.

It drapes that well? This will be the first time I've worked with it. Whee!

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -