Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A thing to note that with Element Drive is that the duration is (number of orbs used/2), rounded up. So expending 4 orbs gives you the same two rounds of shielding as expending 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Unlike FFRK, you cannot savescum effectively in this game. Restarting the app mid battle just resets the current combat turn.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well that's irritating, Hunter gets different elemental orbs than Neophyte Ranger/Ranger. Now I don't have any jobs that can use Wind and Earth unless I go back to being Ranger.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well that's irritating, Hunter gets different elemental orbs than Neophyte Ranger/Ranger. Now I don't have any jobs that can use Wind and Earth unless I go back to being Ranger.

Time to build up your Mage and Warrior! White Mage is Ice/Wind/Earth and Knight is Groovy.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I have yet to find an earth ranger card, but having one would be useful, where do you get one?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
One other thing - I bought a few abilities at max boost and while their ability level is maxed out, the extra skills are not enabled even though the level requirements are met. Did I miss something here?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

goldjas posted:

I have yet to find an earth ranger card, but having one would be useful, where do you get one?

Someone said you get one from the second to last boss of chapter 2.

Solkanar512 posted:

One other thing - I bought a few abilities at max boost and while their ability level is maxed out, the extra skills are not enabled even though the level requirements are met. Did I miss something here?

The extra skills are unlocked by using the card's ability in battle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

The extra skills are unlocked by using the card's ability in battle.

Huh, I wonder why when I press on the skill it says something like, "Unlock requirement: Ability level 2" and the current ability is level 6.

Around how many times do you need to use it? Here's an example just to make sure I'm not being stupid.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 7, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Solkanar512 posted:

Huh, I wonder why when I press on the skill it says something like, "Unlock requirement: Ability level 2" and the current ability is level 6.

Around how many times do you need to use it? Here's an example just to make sure I'm not being stupid.

It's a two step. You need to meet the threshold requirement, and then you have a chance to learn the skill when you use the ability in battle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's a two step. You need to meet the threshold requirement, and then you have a chance to learn the skill when you use the ability in battle.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
How do I get to the Sinking Tomb?

That chest is taunting me.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Time to build up your Mage and Warrior! White Mage is Ice/Wind/Earth and Knight is Groovy.

White Mage is Ice/Fire/Earth, actually. Unfortunately.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
So I definitely didn't get an Earth Ranger card from the lich, If that's the right boss, and he doesn't roam or anything. Am I just owned here?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So where do you grind once you reach a point where enemies literally 3-shot you?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

potaties posted:

So I definitely didn't get an Earth Ranger card from the lich, If that's the right boss, and he doesn't roam or anything. Am I just owned here?

Yeah I don't know either. Lich's gimmick is pretty brutal too, since you can never have a class that's capable of both resisting his attacks and dealing weakness damage.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So figured I'd make a longish post to get some feedback in terms if I'm loving up greatly or what
So for classes unlocked I have: Onion Knight, Neophyte Ranger, Apprentice Mage(so all the starting crap) followed up by Mage, Hunter and Warrior
Those last are pulls so should end up stronger then my basic people if I put in a little time/stuff if I understand everything correctly

In terms of abilities the ones that stand out to me are:
Warrior: 3* Onion Knight Earth
Warrior: 3* Jormungand Eart
Warrior: 3* Ifrit Fire
(I was stuck on the idea that AOE is king when I first grabbed a few abilities)
Mage: 3* Shiva Water
Mage: 4* Ifrita(maxed) Fire
Mage: 3* Succubus Water Poison goodness
Mage: 3* Cockatrice Wind

Hunter has nothing to write home about

Glancing at my abilities seems like sticking with Mage is the best bet for me as I got all 3 Elements with him at all times that he can currently bring. I WANT to focus more on the warriors but seems like I'm more limited by my current abilities. I don't quite get abilities, but did figure out that if you add 2 fusions with a 100% change to level skillseed that does NOT mean it does it twice for you, so not sure if I'm missing something that will quickly get my Warrior up to snuff

Should I focus on the Mage basically with the Abilities I have?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Tae posted:

So where do you grind once you reach a point where enemies literally 3-shot you?

Where are enemies 3 shotting you? Grinding once you've completed the chapters is generally chasing after the Ch. 2 roaming boss that matches the element you're strong against, since fights with them range anywhere from 1100-1800 xp and the most skillseeds as you can run up the score higher.

Edit:

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Should I focus on the Mage basically with the Abilities I have?

I'd run with Mage with that, yea. I haven't played the Mage job even though I pulled it as well, I've only been unlocking panels for it to funnel over weapons to my White Mage, but a maxed 4* Ifrita is going to be doing all of the damage, and Succubus+Siren to follow up with are the other two components of my White Mage team. You can probably just fill the 4th slot with a Support of some kind to be more consistent and go with those.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 7, 2016

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

potaties posted:

It isnt the lich, it is the golem who is a static spawn boss in the last area of chapter 2, the attack is an area attack so it costs 6 orbs to use. The lich does drop a mage and a warrior skill, and if you missed out on them you can fight him again in the adept arena.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ah yes, I'm sure the Player Level 2, Deck Level 7 player currently at #1 on the rankings with a score of 2,166,137 is legitimate. Something's fucky.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AegisP posted:

Where are enemies 3 shotting you?

The 2nd stage of the chaos area.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Can the folks marketing this game not afford to hire a native English speaker to proofread their poo poo?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I rolled for 3 jobs and got Mage, White Mage, and Warrior.

I was hoping for Knight. :(

(Also we need to figure out a way to distinguish between base classes from premium classes in text since they share the same names).

Mage seems so tricky to play, your ability to Break guard is so lovely. How are you guys dealing damage to enemies, just bruteforcing past the guard to kill them? My Knight typically Breaks guard with an ability, then kills with normals or a stronger element. When my mage came up against a Fire Dragon my spells were barely doing anything because I couldn't Break the guard.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 7, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are the job crystals rare? I have one right now and want to unlock the second part of the Mage class but I'm holding off if they are kinda rare.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can buy them in the shop for 200 magicite a pop, which you can get for free in like a day and a half.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Artix posted:

You can buy them in the shop for 200 magicite a pop, which you can get for free in like a day and a half.

Ok that's not bad then I'll use it.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Eddain posted:

I rolled for 3 jobs and got Mage, White Mage, and Warrior.

I was hoping for Knight. :(

(Also we need to figure out a way to distinguish between base classes from premium classes in text since they share the same names).

Mage seems so tricky to play, your ability to Break guard is so lovely. How are you guys dealing damage to enemies, just bruteforcing past the guard to kill them? My Knight typically Breaks guard with an ability, then kills with normals or a stronger element. When my mage came up against a Fire Dragon my spells were barely doing anything because I couldn't Break the guard.

Mage and White Mages typically Break guards in one or two spellcasts and then chips them down with autos (which admittedly takes a while). Ifrita on my White Mage, for instance, will instantly turn the guard meter fully red on any non-boss enemy, weakness or neutral. Against bosses, it does about 80% of the guard meter on the Killer Mantis chapter 2 wandering boss.

White Mage is solid if you want to try that out. Its survivability is a bit stronger considering your LB turns into a panic button instant heal + 4 turn heal over time. Although Mage and White Mage synergize well since you can use the weapons from each of those classes for whomever you want, as they're both staff users, which benefits White Mage moreso considering you can quickly gain 5 actions by using the Mage staff.

MarcusSA posted:

Are the job crystals rare? I have one right now and want to unlock the second part of the Mage class but I'm holding off if they are kinda rare.

As mentioned you can purchase them, but you also gain 5 crystals from clearing all of the areas in each of the current chapters and you can rarely gain them as loot from killing wandering monsters. I've had the latter happen 3 times now?

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

CaptainPsyko posted:

How do I get to the Sinking Tomb?

That chest is taunting me.

It's a branch off Inner Temple, it's probably the last thing you'll be doing in Chapter 2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MarcusSA posted:

They are also rare drops off bosses. Don't buy them just farm em

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Yeah right after I made that post one dropped for me. Thanks!

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Rascyc posted:

They seem to be much rarer than the augment materials they drop. I've only gotten one since I started farming them while I've got over a dozen materials.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
Completing all the nodes in a chapter rewards you with 5 crystals.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a severe lack of earth skills on the rental card list, it seems like almost everyone is fire and ice, with a couple of wind and heart thrown in once in a while.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a severe lack of earth skills on the rental card list, it seems like almost everyone is fire and ice, with a couple of wind and heart thrown in once in a while.

That Onion Knight card is basically in every deck I have. I finally managed to 3* Dust Soldiers so now I can work on maxing it out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eddain posted:

That Onion Knight card is basically in every deck I have. I finally managed to 3* Dust Soldiers so now I can work on maxing it out.

Where the hell did you get the drop to upgrade them? I killed Golem in that first ruin floor like 5-10 times and it never dropped.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

victrix posted:

Where the hell did you get the drop to upgrade them? I killed Golem in that first ruin floor like 5-10 times and it never dropped.

There's a Master Golem in the Arena, Adept stage. Random chance for it to appear in a matchup.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Do I need to upgrade a card's skillseeds/ability before I augment it?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Dana Crysalis posted:

Do I need to upgrade a card's skillseeds/ability before I augment it?

From what I've seen, no.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Augmenting just increases the max level of abilities and skillseeds.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Are people running on Normal or Hard?

I've been playing Hard up to this point (just past the arena in chapter II), but I feel like every battle is super tenuous and I lose pretty often. And god forbid I try to bring in a job or some cards that I want to level up instead of my absolute best stuff. I just turned it down to normal and oh my god it's night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

CaptainPsyko posted:

Are people running on Normal or Hard?

I've been playing Hard up to this point (just past the arena in chapter II), but I feel like every battle is super tenuous and I lose pretty often. And god forbid I try to bring in a job or some cards that I want to level up instead of my absolute best stuff. I just turned it down to normal and oh my god it's night and day.

I've been lazy and ran the whole thing on normal, the skillseed generation is better on Hard but eh. It really is ridiculous if you aren't in a decent job/cards.

Are there any enemy cards currently that cast Fire? I bought a Kirin and wanted to level it but :(

e: I simply have no idea what to level or any idea what to grind for now.augmenting the current trash mobs seems fairly pointless since I can't even use any proper cards with the jobs I have, or the abilities seem somewhat extravagant. (I upgraded Adamantoise but serious, 8 orb cost? that's awful)

e2: Adept Colosseum seems pretty decent, 24 energy is steep but you get 3 bosses and chances at bosses we can't farm easily like Mighty Golem (Lesser Earthstrike card, also supposedly earth augment card?)

Dana Crysalis fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 7, 2016

• Locked thread