Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

The Cancerous City, inhabited by monsters who dress in human skins...

dog kisser posted:

...the acrid tang of heated metal, and the heart-stopping thumping of a bass drum...

ibntumart posted:

...a ruined tower, wreathed in a pale blue fire...

DeathSandwich posted:

...the haze ripples rhythmically to the sound of the drums...

ibntumart posted:

..."All may enter, none are welcome"...

Fathis Munk posted:

...a myriad of tiny hands try to grab unto you as you pass...

UnCO3 posted:

...her expression does not bear describing here, and I hope I never see its like again.
Trailer game: No Gods Watch Over Me

I and my companions are tomb robbers who've come to the Cancerous City seeking the riches abandoned within. The denizens, if they even exist, are rumoured to be skittish and weak. We have prepared bundles of maps and schematics, killing rods and sparse ammunition, and alchemical brews for smoke and flame. After an arduous journey, we have reached the Tomb's broken threshold. Our goal is to leave this place alive, saddlebags brimming with lost treasure.

You, Game Room people, play the Tomb. Your goal is to lure us into the depths, put us in a crisis, and see us to our dooms. You're only allowed to directly answer our direct questions, though, so you might not be able to do it.

Read the following instructions carefully
This game is a follow-up to a previous game. The game itself is less than 2 pages long, and you should read it before contributing here.

The rules:
  1. My fellow tomb robbers are ibntumart, Tyrannosaurus, and Fathis Munk.
  2. Only answer our questions (which will be bolded).
  3. If we ask several, only answer one; let others answer the rest.
  4. If you don't know the answer, make something up.
  5. Keep your answers short.
  6. If your answer's disruptive, we'll ignore it.
  7. Otherwise, we have to go with the first we get.
You can post the phrase 'you feel that you are watched' to show that you're following the game.

I am Muthri, a war-weary mercenary and wanderer in strange places. I stand on the threshold, arms crossed, chewing a wad of viperleaf and assessing the lay of the horizon-spanning City. The pattern of streets seems to slowly shift at the edges of my sight – or is it just a trick of the moonlight?

I wait for my companions to join me.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I am the hale and ambitious Ulfric Udayle, a noble heir with heavy debts. I have spent the last pittance of my inheritance outfitting this... "expedition." I can only pray that the rumors of this place are true for I have nothing remaining but what I'm tied to the back of my tired donkey. I half-lead, half-drag the stubborn beast and join Muthri.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I am Jacia Narru, called the Dustcloak. I am an explorer contracted to assist my fellow tomb robbers in this adventure. I am also a greedy cutthroat and as I look up from my map, trying to make it fit the layout of the city in front of me, I see Ulfric and can't help repressing a smile as I remember how I inflated my costs to squeeze him for as much as I could.

But if all goes well I shall soon own fortunes far greater. I roll up my map and join my fellow tomb robbers.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My name is Besha and I am a scion of this dread place, as well as a scholar of little renown. What lies within the Tomb rightfully belongs to my people by heritage, and to my family by right, and more importantly, to me because I am bold enough to seize it. And if a treasure from the ancient city winds up being exchanged for gold or comforts, well, that is my right, too, isn't it? And better me than these foreign companions I travel with....

I adjust my mantis green litham and admire the intricate geometric inlays adorning the Tomb's doors. Perhaps we can pry some of the tiles loose on the way out.... So I muse as I join my comrades.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
We tie up our steeds a short way from the wall and step through the massive city gates.

We find ourselves in a long, open street lined with low houses made of mud-bricks and grey stone. The windows are dark, but there are empty stalls and red awnings set out as if this place was a bustling market once. Something in particular catches my eye...

What is the most prominent feature here? Anyone should answer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

UnCO3 posted:

What is the most prominent feature here? Anyone should answer.

One stall is not empty, filled to the brim with trinkets and baubles. A necklace, with a symbol you do not recognize, stands out among them. There is no merchant. A sign on the stall says: "Fair trades only."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I step up to the stall and with my seasoned explorer's eye I immediately dismiss most of the wares as worthless. The necklace however catches my eye. I pull out a book of schematics depicting the symbols of major religious and political groups of the region, leafing through it and comparing them to the necklace, trying to assess its origin and worth.

What does my book tell me about this symbol ? Jon Joe should answer.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

jon joe posted:

One stall is not empty, filled to the brim with trinkets and baubles. A necklace, with a symbol you do not recognize, stands out among them. There is no merchant. A sign on the stall says: "Fair trades only."
I eye the stall suspiciously. Has someone been here before us? No matter - we are here to find treasure, not to give it away, and someone mad enough to set up a stall here with such a rule is surely a dangerous person not worth crossing. Instead, I walk further between the stalls - slowly, quietly - picking out any exits from the market road.

How could we get out of this place? Anyone should answer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

What does my book tell me about this symbol ? Jon Joe should answer.

The symbol seems to be that of a long fallen religion, last practiced hundreds of years ago. Their goddess was Kar, with dominion over strength and pain.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

jon joe posted:

The symbol seems to be that of a long fallen religion, last practiced hundreds of years ago. Their goddess was Kar, with dominion over strength and pain.

Interesting. I brush the amulet with my fingers and am tempted to just take it and run, what's the worst that can happen. I close my hand around it but ultimately uncoil my fingers and leave it on the stall. I'll wait til I make my way out of this place, maybe I can grab it at that time.

I gaze at it forlornly as I join Muthri, I hate to leave it behind but I feel I have nothing good to trade for it for now.

Pulling out one of the maps I look for references in the city's skyline. I spot a tower wreathed in blue flame but I'd need a second point of reference.

What other big structure is present on my map and does it show us a way out of the market place ?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Ulfric Udayle

Trinkets in the market place. I am after far greater prizes than what could be found here. I hoist myself up a half collapsed wall and take a look around. Sure the Cancerous City is ancient and eerie but there are still some remnants of majesty hiding amongst the ruins. What part of the city is still beautiful? Or, at the very least, still breath-taking? Anyone should answer.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Ulfric Udayle

Trinkets in the market place. I am after far greater prizes than what could be found here. I hoist myself up a half collapsed wall and take a look around. Sure the Cancerous City is ancient and eerie but there are still some remnants of majesty hiding amongst the ruins. What part of the city is still beautiful? Or, at the very least, still breath-taking? Anyone should answer.

The people of the Cancerous City inlaid their buildings, from the lowest hovel to the grandest spire, with a glassy, opalescent blue mineral whose name is lost. Despite its delicate appearance, the mineral was stronger than the materials around it, and even as walls crumble, their inlaid geometric and floral designs remain standing, shimmering blue veins that reject the decay of their surroundings. The edges are obsidian-sharp, and some of the inlay bears the blood of those who made foolhardy attempts at harvesting it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

What other big structure is present on my map and does it show us a way out of the market place ?

The map and skyline confirm a second landmark, twinned rusted metal crescents, folding through one another in a feat of architecture far above anything you've seen before. According to the map, it marks the divide between the tight cluster of buildings you assume is the current market, and a more sparse area decorated on the map with trees. You see no trees from where you stand, but could wind your way towards the twinned crescents.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The mouth-veil hides Besha's scorn at her comrades' confusion. The Cancerous City holds landmarks which the stranger may take as waypoints, but for those from this place, there are other guides. For those who know how to look, the signs are clear to show one where the quarter ends, where water can be found, and where danger awaits.

What symbols or behavior do the locals use to help each other navigate their city? Anyone may answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

ibntumart posted:

What symbols or behavior do the locals use to help each other navigate their city? Anyone may answer.

Carved on fallen stones from walls long given up on are symbols denoting paths. Some to safety while others...

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

I eye the stall suspiciously. Has someone been here before us? No matter - we are here to find treasure, not to give it away, and someone mad enough to set up a stall here with such a rule is surely a dangerous person not worth crossing. Instead, I walk further between the stalls - slowly, quietly - picking out any exits from the market road.

How could we get out of this place? Anyone should answer.
I think this got lost among the other questions.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Carved on fallen stones from walls long given up on are symbols denoting paths. Some to safety while others...

It is as was written. I dig through my pack for the hastily scribbled notes I made in a forbidden library not so long ago. What direction seems most promising? Anyone should answer.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
It may have been a mistake to add some of the more active contributors to the last game as players here :v:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that's what I thinking too :v: unless we re rig the rules to answer among ourselves and try to drive each other to their doom.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
That might get things moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Good idea. I want to keep the general dynamic of the game, though, so here's how I'll implement it if you guys are okay with that:
  • If any of our questions is left for 24 hours, another tomb robber can answer it.
While we're fiddling with the rules, the one about not answering more than 1 question at a time could probably go. It's helpful in Doomed Pilgrim, where there's usually only 1-2 questions, but here there are usually 3-4 at least. It doesn't matter as much if someone answers 2 now and then.

• Locked thread