Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

What is Super Robot Wars?
It's a long running tactical RPG series starring anime robots, which has about 40 games in it on almost every platform you can imagine. It's made by Banpresto, a division of Bandai-Namco that does pretty much just this. It's like your thirteen year old self's crazy ramblings about how Mazinger Z and Voltron would totally be awesome fighting evil alongside Gundams and Evangelions and Valkyries and stuff, except it's real and just as awesome as you think.

English?

What does it play like?
A lot like Fire Emblem (the first in both series appeared right around the same time), but with the difference is that each unit is a pilot and a robot each with their own stats, and can be switched around between each other to some extent. The games are linear, but often have branching storylines so you won't see all of the stages on one playthrough.

If there are over 40 games in the franchise how the hell are they organized?
There are three main branches to SRW: main line, Original Generations, and the others. The main line series have all the big name animes and an expansive story that covers four or five games per series. Original Generation has no anime but instead just Banpresto's original characters. The others are a grab bag of one-off games usually on portable consoles and usually of lower quality.

For info about each game, check this wiki in English or this wiki in Japanese

Okay, so which one should I start with?
Good timing! The latest released game, called Super Robot Wars V, is several months old and in English. It’s a one off game in a new world that you won't need to know about the history of the franchise to play. It has a bunch of famous series like Evangelion, ZZ Gundam, Nadesico and Space Battleship Yamato in it.

Soon we will see the release of Super Robot Wars X, which is detailed in the next post.

What else is this thread for?
Other SRW games of course, and also other anime robot games like Gundam Versus, and also SRW-like games like SD Gundam G Generation and Fantasy Maiden Wars for you Touhou fans.

Also Jam Project, the official band of SRW and anime robots in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPMRj0M0cpU

Do I have a steel soul of justice inside me?
If you can appreciate this song then probably!

Hit the gong; it's time to save the galaxy!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
SUPER ROBOT WARS X - Releases March 29, 2018 (Japanese), April 26, 2018 (English)

This game takes place in the fantasy realm of Al-Warth, a world governed by the God of Wisdom.

Trailer 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJQH003mnE4

Trailer 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-Uqv4BNC0

Series list!

The Unchallengable Daitarn 3
Aura Battler Dunbine
New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine (Mechs only)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack – Beltorchika’s Children (Mechs only)
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: The Steel Seven (Mechs only)
Gundam Reconguista in G (First Appearance)
Mashin Hero Wataru (First Appearance)
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (First Appearance)
Brave Express Mightgaine
Gurren Lagann
Gurren Lagann the Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
True Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!
True Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darkness
Mazinkaiser
Buddy Complex (First Appearance)
Buddy Complex Final Act: Into the Skies of Tomorrow (First Appearance)
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 19, 2018

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I was still hoping for "With this crabstick, I will translate Super Robot Wars"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Loose posted:

I was still hoping for "With this crabstick, I will translate Super Robot Wars"
For people like me who didn't get the reference

edit: some conversation about robot animes themselves will also be tolerated.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 5, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i can't wait to stream whatever stages bandai namco have deemed acceptable to be shared to my friends from the super robot wars thread

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
New SrW in English is almost enough to make me want a PS4. Almost.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I am hoping so hard that DIE GRANTEED is actually in the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hokuto posted:

argh I closed the stream but I'm still getting reports in from a friend still watching

"Einst, zwei, dry!"

The beauty of 'Einst, Zwei, Dry' must be forever preserved.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 5, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

No it's "Einst, zwei, dry". They got two words out of three wrong.

edit: here you go, thank you my benefactor friend

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
With this crabstick, I will advise everyone not to go with beginner mode, as it cuts out quite a bit of content in the earlygame from what I've seen so far! I switched to normal when I realized how super easy the extra 20k funds per SR point would make the game, and the number of cutscenes and even stages taken out is kind of silly.

I wish I could get the red type-2 on normal on a first playthrough, though. :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

No no. They're clearly telling Alfimi it's time to get out of the bath.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Am I missing an option somewhere, or is there no way to turn off rumble in Moon Dwellers?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Am I missing an option somewhere, or is there no way to turn off rumble in Moon Dwellers?
I didn't find one either so I turned it off for the PS4 in general. There are so few games where it's used for something meaningful anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm definitely getting a PS4 for this.

...eventually.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

With this crabstick, I will advise everyone not to go with beginner mode, as it cuts out quite a bit of content in the earlygame from what I've seen so far! I switched to normal when I realized how super easy the extra 20k funds per SR point would make the game, and the number of cutscenes and even stages taken out is kind of silly.

I wish I could get the red type-2 on normal on a first playthrough, though. :(

Yeah I started beginner mode to see what it was like and the prologue autoplays and then auto go to the Touya route so I'm guessing there's dialogue and a route split choice scene missing right away. Einst, Zwei, Dry! would be so good as a line against an Einst enemy but now we're in hell.

Also!!! Remember the bug that messes up your save if you swap the Granteed Girls around ni the intermission when they are force deployed!

ImpAtom described the translation as nostalgic for old HK subs and that is 100% how what I've seen so far is hitting me. It's got a certain charm to it.

There is some pixelation on any text that has the red "You can't do this"" colour and I definitely saw some on Al Van's mech at the start. I was also super surprised by the animated intro, 2ndOG and Dark Prison had animated backgrounds for their openings, but nothing with as much lip syncing.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
It looks like the worst kind of lovely translation, not even hilariously bad, but just annoying bad.

...maybe I should've gotten the JP version and struggled that :ohdear:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It looks like the worst kind of lovely translation, not even hilariously bad, but just annoying bad.

...maybe I should've gotten the JP version and struggled that :ohdear:

honestly, like 80% of the time it's totally f ine. Super bland, but fine. Characters say things that are even grammatically correct. Frankly it's a better translation than a lot of PSX rpgs.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The English is good enough that it enhances the enjoyment of the game for me, someone who speaks zero Japanese. Yeah a super professional translation would be better but that was never going to happen for an Asian release of a game with this much text.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, at most so far I've gone "they could have worded that like this instead"

Well, other than "You don't need any bargain" and some real rough stuff in Touya's dream opening. Something like "the crying expression with the posture towards me"

Someone just said that maybe "you don't need any bargain" could maybe be something like "that was a cheap shot" or something, which certainly works for the situation.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Hey quick question: is there a guide on how to best buy srw og off psn? I've never messed around with the foreign psn stores but have decided to take the plunge for this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

Hey quick question: is there a guide on how to best buy srw og off psn? I've never messed around with the foreign psn stores but have decided to take the plunge for this.

Go to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/home/games

Create an account. Use a McDonalds from Singapore for the address. (Google it.) Otherwise it's entirely in English.

Buy a PSN Card for the Singapore region. The easiest way is from Play-Asia if you don't mind supporting them. Otherwise a lot of import retailers sell the cards.

You need $90 SNG to buy it. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/games/super-robot-wars-og-the-moon-dwellers/cid=HP0700-CUSA04713_00-SPRBWA25OGMD2016

Boom.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I envy you guys going with digital. The sheer concept of an english SRW game was enough to drop dough for the physical version. Monday :smith:

Did anyone actually end up going with the LE?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyone still wondering about the bargain, it's 駆け引き, which can be bargaining (in the sense of wheedling or haggling) but more generally can mean negotiation, reading the opponent, mind games, the subtlety of exchange. So the intent would be don't hold back, don't play games, don't poke with weak attacks, just come at me as hard as you can.

This has been a serious post about the OGMD translation from Caphi. I promise it won't happen again.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Anyone still wondering about the bargain, it's 駆け引き, which can be bargaining (in the sense of wheedling or haggling) but more generally can mean negotiation, reading the opponent, mind games, the subtlety of exchange. So the intent would be don't hold back, don't play games, don't poke with weak attacks, just come at me as hard as you can.

This has been a serious post about the OGMD translation from Caphi. I promise it won't happen again.

Ah, so "you don't need any bargain" would be like "I won't need any tricks to deal with you" or something like that? Nice. Thanks for clearing it up!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think it's still pointed outward so it's more like "You don't have to play any games with me."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"No Need for tricks or cheap shots. Just come at me."

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Having an SRW in English is so cool. The J fan patch and the GBA OG games were my intro to the series and I've really missed being able to read what's happening. I'll pick up a ps4 sometime down the road Im sure. Do we know if the Vita version of V is getting a Signapore release?

Also trip report on impact, I'm at the final stage but I can't get the will power to play it. Especially with SRWZ3 here now, and I really hate the partner system in it so I don't even like it that much it's just way better. Plus it's very pretty.

I'll beat Char someday though. Maybe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, I envy you guys going with digital. The sheer concept of an english SRW game was enough to drop dough for the physical version. Monday :smith:

Did anyone actually end up going with the LE?

Would've if it hadn't sold out so fast.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

EGSunBro posted:

Having an SRW in English is so cool. The J fan patch and the GBA OG games were my intro to the series and I've really missed being able to read what's happening. I'll pick up a ps4 sometime down the road Im sure. Do we know if the Vita version of V is getting a Signapore release?

Also trip report on impact, I'm at the final stage but I can't get the will power to play it. Especially with SRWZ3 here now, and I really hate the partner system in it so I don't even like it that much it's just way better. Plus it's very pretty.

Just go and rip that band-aid out in one go! You can do it!

And I'm pretty sure V will be like MD, with only the PS4 version get the "translation".

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Con: I can no longer pretend this thing is called the Excessbein.
Pro: I can now call it the Sexbein.

EGSunBro posted:

It is not half as bad as pushing through Regisseur's Boss Gauntlet. You're almost there, you can do it! Also it will feel great to have done Impact's version of CCA then immediately proceed to Z3.1 where CCA is done much better and built up for the whole game.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Endorph posted:

"No Need for tricks or cheap shots. Just come at me."

Caphi posted:

I think it's still pointed outward so it's more like "You don't have to play any games with me."

That definitely makes more sense as it's a reaction to getting hit. Thanks again!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GimmickMan posted:

XXXbein.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So I thought they weren't going to do the encyclopedia. Did they leave in the info tabs?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Go to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/home/games

Create an account. Use a McDonalds from Singapore for the address. (Google it.) Otherwise it's entirely in English.

Buy a PSN Card for the Singapore region. The easiest way is from Play-Asia if you don't mind supporting them. Otherwise a lot of import retailers sell the cards.

You need $90 SNG to buy it. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/games/super-robot-wars-og-the-moon-dwellers/cid=HP0700-CUSA04713_00-SPRBWA25OGMD2016

Boom.

For the Singapore PSN card, will Play Asia just send you the code, or do you need to wait for the physical card?

I mean, I do not want to go through Play Asia if it can be helped, but if there is no other import retailer that would just send you the code (I sure can't think of any), I will bite the bullet.

How is the game itself by the way? I have played the GBA OG games, but I always hear of some sort of annoying poo poo for any given game.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
For me as soon as I bought it the webpage showed me the codes. I also got an email with a link to the codes as well.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
You can buy codes from offgamers. They are sent immediately and you can use PayPal if that's your thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If the Vita version had gotten translated I could already be playing it. :(

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ShiunTouya posted:

You can buy codes from offgamers. They are sent immediately and you can use PayPal if that's your thing.
I did this because I didn't want to give Play-Asia my money, and while the site looks kind of sketchy it worked perfectly fine and I got the codes immediately. Would recommend.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

It is absolutely beautiful. :allears:

GimmickMan posted:

I'd say combine the two, but "ExcesSexbein" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rascyc posted:

So I thought they weren't going to do the encyclopedia. Did they leave in the info tabs?

Keywords and encyclopedia are in. They said they weren't doing the "previously on..." recap of the entire storyline.

• Locked thread