Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«138 »
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

I remember a decent amount of Eldran and Liger, too.

I should really get back to NEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair the one arc they adapt they adapt really well but yeah. Ryu Knight, Eldran, Liger and Lamune kind of steal the show which is understandable considering the concept.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The main thing that drove me crazy with Neo was the... Ganbaruger? mechanic where the two subpilots also get their own robots, but are still subpilots in the main robot when they're not separate. It's hell on my desire to get everybody kills plus my desire to keep the main characters in the lead, because I feed the blue one a bunch of kills and then realize he's two levels ahead of the red one, but if I pull him he goes back into Ganbaruger and gets all the experience the others do.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The dream and romance of any REAL man!

Well crap. I was looking up fanmade SRW-likes and it turns out there was a magical girl one, back in about 2001.

It was just really mediocre so no one cared and nothing more came of it. That's the worst. 'Hey a game with a concept you would like exists! It's just not very good'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl and FOURTEEN KARAT GOLD!!!

Warning: SU Season 3 Spoilers

Getsuya posted:

Well crap. I was looking up fanmade SRW-likes and it turns out there was a magical girl one, back in about 2001.

It was just really mediocre so no one cared and nothing more came of it. That's the worst. 'Hey a game with a concept you would like exists! It's just not very good'

Kinda like how Super Tokusatsu Taisen from around the same time was also an absolute mess from a gameplay perspective, which is even weirder there since that game was actually developed by Banpresto so you'd think they would have just copied the standard SRW mechanics of the era, but nope for some reason they decided to try something different and it turned out to be garbage

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

It's real possible that they just had a different team working on it.

More to the point, the fact that this page is about Neo underlines that the SRW formula can absolutely take some shaking up. As a game, mainline SRW really isn't all that*; you basically go for the fanfic with production values. I can't fault them for trying, just for failing.

*Especially in the modern era of standardization, but even so back in the Alpha days when everything was bizarre and units were barely designed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Getsuya posted:

How is X-O? Is it fun to play without spending anything or is it one where you need to gamble?

Is that the mobile game that doesn't play at all like an SRW game? You just stand your dudes on the right side of the screen and shoot at waves of oncoming enemies?

Because no that's hot garbage, Even me and my friend who played that SD Gundam mobile game for ages couldn't tolerate for more than a few weeks. Gameplay is incredibly uninteresting, the difficulty ramps up to borderline pay-wall levels really fast and from what I remember when I played it, there wasn't really any viable way to earn units that weren't complete trash. So it all came down to awful bandai gacha rates.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Finally saw the Komeiji Heart Breaker in FMW4. That was amusing. Satori isn't as into it as Latooni is.

Also Yumeko has some wild animations. They're doing a lot with sprite rotation and scaling especially this time around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

also tbh a lot of the 'fun' series for a magical girl wars wouldn't really be made for another couple of years past 2001, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Caphi posted:

More to the point, the fact that this page is about Neo underlines that the SRW formula can absolutely take some shaking up. As a game, mainline SRW really isn't all that*; you basically go for the fanfic with production values. I can't fault them for trying, just for failing.
I would like this, but I also don't think it will happen - I imagine they aren't ignorant about the financial states of several SRPG franchises and unfortunately they're probably learning lessons that would ensure higher profit margins over "memorable games that players will remember"

1) Properly designed (and optionally challenging) strategic gameplay doesn't really seem to translate to sales, so there's no motivation to design that way. An easy difficulty brings in more players and is much more simple to accomplish than designing a proper "hard" difficulty.

2) Mecha's fanbase is pretty stagnant in Japan and it's mostly just the 30-40 year olds wanting a dose of nostalgia. They're branching out to SE Asia now but I'm not sure if the demographic is really different. Point is - the pool they can draw from is not all that great to warrant putting in more effort than they're doing now, in either of "plays for aesthetics" or "plays for gameplay" split.

3) We know the series isn't doing the best financially, and when that happens the Japanese tend to bunker down instead of rocking the boat.

4) The most financially successful and prominent Japanese SRPG series is Fire Emblem, and the one thing that the devs seem to have taken from that series is not the gameplay, it's "Waifus sell"

You add that all together and the only path I can see for SRW in the near future is just the factory-like workmanship we have right now or them making a shipping-focused OGs if they really want to try to gun for money. Which is not particularly a direction most people here would prefer, I wager.

«138 »