Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I remember a decent amount of Eldran and Liger, too.

I should really get back to NEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair the one arc they adapt they adapt really well but yeah. Ryu Knight, Eldran, Liger and Lamune kind of steal the show which is understandable considering the concept.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The main thing that drove me crazy with Neo was the... Ganbaruger? mechanic where the two subpilots also get their own robots, but are still subpilots in the main robot when they're not separate. It's hell on my desire to get everybody kills plus my desire to keep the main characters in the lead, because I feed the blue one a bunch of kills and then realize he's two levels ahead of the red one, but if I pull him he goes back into Ganbaruger and gets all the experience the others do.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well crap. I was looking up fanmade SRW-likes and it turns out there was a magical girl one, back in about 2001.

It was just really mediocre so no one cared and nothing more came of it. That's the worst. 'Hey a game with a concept you would like exists! It's just not very good'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Getsuya posted:

Well crap. I was looking up fanmade SRW-likes and it turns out there was a magical girl one, back in about 2001.

It was just really mediocre so no one cared and nothing more came of it. That's the worst. 'Hey a game with a concept you would like exists! It's just not very good'

Kinda like how Super Tokusatsu Taisen from around the same time was also an absolute mess from a gameplay perspective, which is even weirder there since that game was actually developed by Banpresto so you'd think they would have just copied the standard SRW mechanics of the era, but nope for some reason they decided to try something different and it turned out to be garbage

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's real possible that they just had a different team working on it.

More to the point, the fact that this page is about Neo underlines that the SRW formula can absolutely take some shaking up. As a game, mainline SRW really isn't all that*; you basically go for the fanfic with production values. I can't fault them for trying, just for failing.

*Especially in the modern era of standardization, but even so back in the Alpha days when everything was bizarre and units were barely designed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Getsuya posted:

How is X-O? Is it fun to play without spending anything or is it one where you need to gamble?

Is that the mobile game that doesn't play at all like an SRW game? You just stand your dudes on the right side of the screen and shoot at waves of oncoming enemies?

Because no that's hot garbage, Even me and my friend who played that SD Gundam mobile game for ages couldn't tolerate for more than a few weeks. Gameplay is incredibly uninteresting, the difficulty ramps up to borderline pay-wall levels really fast and from what I remember when I played it, there wasn't really any viable way to earn units that weren't complete trash. So it all came down to awful bandai gacha rates.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Finally saw the Komeiji Heart Breaker in FMW4. That was amusing. Satori isn't as into it as Latooni is.

Also Yumeko has some wild animations. They're doing a lot with sprite rotation and scaling especially this time around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

also tbh a lot of the 'fun' series for a magical girl wars wouldn't really be made for another couple of years past 2001, at least.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Caphi posted:

More to the point, the fact that this page is about Neo underlines that the SRW formula can absolutely take some shaking up. As a game, mainline SRW really isn't all that*; you basically go for the fanfic with production values. I can't fault them for trying, just for failing.
I would like this, but I also don't think it will happen - I imagine they aren't ignorant about the financial states of several SRPG franchises and unfortunately they're probably learning lessons that would ensure higher profit margins over "memorable games that players will remember"

1) Properly designed (and optionally challenging) strategic gameplay doesn't really seem to translate to sales, so there's no motivation to design that way. An easy difficulty brings in more players and is much more simple to accomplish than designing a proper "hard" difficulty.

2) Mecha's fanbase is pretty stagnant in Japan and it's mostly just the 30-40 year olds wanting a dose of nostalgia. They're branching out to SE Asia now but I'm not sure if the demographic is really different. Point is - the pool they can draw from is not all that great to warrant putting in more effort than they're doing now, in either of "plays for aesthetics" or "plays for gameplay" split.

3) We know the series isn't doing the best financially, and when that happens the Japanese tend to bunker down instead of rocking the boat.

4) The most financially successful and prominent Japanese SRPG series is Fire Emblem, and the one thing that the devs seem to have taken from that series is not the gameplay, it's "Waifus sell"

You add that all together and the only path I can see for SRW in the near future is just the factory-like workmanship we have right now or them making a shipping-focused OGs if they really want to try to gun for money. Which is not particularly a direction most people here would prefer, I wager.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
What the hell is up with Alpha 2s map design?? Now I know why all the Japanese guides insist that every squad needs Accel. Jesus. You could set an entire game in the 3rd Kusuha map.

:psyduck:

This is the first time I feel like restarting an SRW just so I can give my MC a better birthday. If they don't have Accel in their Spirits you're pretty boned.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So are there any good translation guides? Because once I finish with V and Moondwellers I kind of want to play through the games with Big O.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Accel is a whooping 20+ SP in the Alpha game so I never particularly liked it on characters you actually want to use to fight.

Spreading Accel throughout all the squads is like one of the biggest time consumers while squad-building.

Nuebot posted:

So are there any good translation guides?
For the script or gameplay (such as menus)?

Akurasu is generally a good resource for the latter and the Let's Play Archive is good if you want the plot. I don't remember which games has been done already - W is one of them I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Of the games that don't have English patches or releases yet: MX, Z1, Z2 Hakai Hen, and W have been LP'd. Brunom1 is also currently doing an LP for L.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 28, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Davzz posted:

Accel is a whooping 20+ SP in the Alpha game so I never particularly liked it on characters you actually want to use to fight.

Spreading Accel throughout all the squads is like one of the biggest time consumers while squad-building.

For the script or gameplay (such as menus)?

Akurasu is generally a good resource for the latter and the Let's Play Archive is good if you want the plot. I don't remember which games has been done already - W is one of them I guess.

Plot I meant, I should have specified. Because I'd like to know what's going on and if I tried to translate it my self each stage would take like five hours.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

It's also awesome how they 'balanced' combining bots with multiple pilots by giving each pilot 30-40 SP. Better choose wisely because each character can only cast one Spirit per map!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nuebot posted:

Plot I meant, I should have specified. Because I'd like to know what's going on and if I tried to translate it my self each stage would take like five hours.

There's MNeidengard's stuff on Gamefaqs which is of variable quality but what a lot of the fanbase have relied on for years and years so you'll have to forgive him refusing to call Zeon anything other than Jion. A guy called KaneBlueRiver did Z3.1 as well, but I believe both Japanese and English aren't his first language so bits of it can be rough, but he goes into line by line for big scenes near the end. ChenGong and someone called Ite7 have done some line by line subs for some big scenes, ChenGong for 2ndOGs (which has a line by line translation now) and Z3 and Ite7 for the end game of Z2.2 Again though, Ite7's translation is a bit rough. One thing I remember is "mazui" as "bad-tasting" rather than "unsavoury" which raises some questions when people are yelling it at each other. All three parts of Z3 also have pre-fight dialogues translated on gamefaqs so you can see what the nerds are finally yelling at each other before the animations start.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I tried playing Alpha with Mneidengard's translation and even if you ignore the name stuff his writing was so dry it sucked all the fun out of the experience for me.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Mneidengard seems like the type of insufferable nerd i'd struggle not to punch IRL

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I remember finding out during the W LP that he'd just written down that the pink thing Mikoto turns into in GaoGaiGar was a giant robot or something, so he also doesn't do any followup to make sure his poo poo is usable to all the people trying to get an understanding of what's happening from it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

There's MNeidengard's stuff on Gamefaqs which is of variable quality but what a lot of the fanbase have relied on for years and years so you'll have to forgive him refusing to call Zeon anything other than Jion. A guy called KaneBlueRiver did Z3.1 as well, but I believe both Japanese and English aren't his first language so bits of it can be rough, but he goes into line by line for big scenes near the end. ChenGong and someone called Ite7 have done some line by line subs for some big scenes, ChenGong for 2ndOGs (which has a line by line translation now) and Z3 and Ite7 for the end game of Z2.2 Again though, Ite7's translation is a bit rough. One thing I remember is "mazui" as "bad-tasting" rather than "unsavoury" which raises some questions when people are yelling it at each other. All three parts of Z3 also have pre-fight dialogues translated on gamefaqs so you can see what the nerds are finally yelling at each other before the animations start.

Better than nothing I guess. Bad translations aren't too, well, bad. I basically jumped feet-first in on the Duwang scans of Jojo and the abysmal original scans of part 5. More or less I really care about seeing where and how the stories diverge because I absolutely love how V just makes most of these series end way better.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Caphi posted:

I remember finding out during the W LP that he'd just written down that the pink thing Mikoto turns into in GaoGaiGar was a giant robot or something, so he also doesn't do any followup to make sure his poo poo is usable to all the people trying to get an understanding of what's happening from it.
In his Alpha 3 summary, he described that exact fight as coming from a filler episode. :psyduck:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Daler Mehndi posted:

In his Alpha 3 summary, he described that exact fight as coming from a filler episode. :psyduck:

...Okay, never reading his guides again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Daler Mehndi posted:

That...that's the climax of the entire series and the ending. :psypop:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There's definitely some stuff where you read it and realize he hasn't even done a quick google to find out what a thing is, even if you're not familiar with the actual thing yourself it's pretty obvious, like the GaoGaiGar one where "protagonist's girlfriend is turned into a thing" is definitely not a fillar episode and I remember one instance where he said a character was someone's wife when she's his sister or something. He was the only game in town for a long time so I'll always be grateful for even his most barely-in-the-same-ballpark summaries.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

There's definitely some stuff where you read it and realize he hasn't even done a quick google to find out what a thing is,

It goes further than that. He vehemently refuses to be corrected and has even been known to put passive aggressive rants about people trying to in his guides.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The best way to sum up MNeidengard is that he's consistently erratic with his work. Going into his stuff, you'll come to expect that he'll get some things correct, like item drops or mission objectives, but then he'll get other things wrong like character names or plot events. Or sometimes the reverse will happen, you never know.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So far Goshogun is my favorite bot in Alpha 2. It's tanking better than Mazinger and Combattler, and I like the characters. Combattler is worst because it can't take a hit and all the characters blow their SP in a single cast of anything.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Getsuya posted:

So far Goshogun is my favorite bot in Alpha 2. It's tanking better than Mazinger and Combattler, and I like the characters. Combattler is worst because it can't take a hit and all the characters blow their SP in a single cast of anything.

I will never get tired of "Speeez... Bazooka!"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ryoga posted:

I will never get tired of "Speeez... Bazooka!"

GoShogun got a decent translation finally by Discotek Media! :getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Race Realists posted:

GoShogun got a decent translation finally by Discotek Media! :getin:

Have they released it yet?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ha, checked out MNeidengard's Alpha 2 guide and when introducing the main characters he goes into detail about Sanger and Kusuha and then says 'the reals also have pilots' before moving on without another word.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Getsuya posted:

Ha, checked out MNeidengard's Alpha 2 guide and when introducing the main characters he goes into detail about Sanger and Kusuha and then says 'the reals also have pilots' before moving on without another word.

I am super pissed over him skipping Ibis. Not so much Arado, since I don't care one way or the other with him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh no, I missed a single SR point somewhere in V. Now I'll never get that achievement.

Getsuya posted:

Is combattler ever good?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's ok in J and pretty good in L if I remember right. I suppose being ok in J is damning in its own way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

It's ok in J and pretty good in L if I remember right. I suppose being ok in J is damning in its own way.

It's "ok" in J. But every other super is tankier and does more damage. It's only real upside is that you get it really early so you'll probably dump levels into it when you can't afford the granteed or mazinger.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's what I meant by being ok in J being damning. In a game where almost every other super can solo every stage of the game if you click end turn enough times being "ok" doesn't really cut it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I think it's balanced by the fact that it has 5 spirit casters, so you're expected to burn though a wall or an alert, or guard every turn sort of thing. It's never been an MVP of my playthroughs, but I always find it hard to cut from the main squad. It was in my top 3 killers in L for a long while before I got Kira Map Spam and blew all my money on the Dancouga Nova. >_>

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Logicblade posted:

I think it's balanced by the fact that it has 5 spirit casters, so you're expected to burn though a wall or an alert, or guard every turn sort of thing. It's never been an MVP of my playthroughs, but I always find it hard to cut from the main squad. It was in my top 3 killers in L for a long while before I got Kira Map Spam and blew all my money on the Dancouga Nova. >_>

Problem is it has the same problem as Alpha 2, IIRC, where until you're hitting ~level 35+ you only get like one cast of Iron Wall Or Luck Or something else per stage. Plus it has the issue of being much squishier than any of the single pilot supers while not dodging any better, possibly even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It doesn't help that J also has Dancougar, which starts out as Combattler but with better damage but worse survivability, and then upgrades into Combattler but just better.

• Locked thread