Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Amata and Mikono are easily the worst two EVOLs, the supporting cast is the best bit! Mikono was my first EVOL ace in Z3 because her bonus is good and it was a trial. She doesn't even make a funny noise like Yunoha while the latter also covers her not knowing what a cat looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

She doesn't really overcome them though. Like she stands up to her brother once but then for most of the back half of the show she's wandering around getting exposited at by original Aquarion characters while Amata and Kagura are beating each other up over who's worthy to have her. Her big dramatic climax is choosing to own Celiane's mistakes.
I mean, yeah, the execution is all over the place, but that's EVOL in general. Iunno, it was nice to have a 'designated romantic lead' character who actually had massive flaws as a person in ways that weren't like, cute, but annoying and weird. It was a pretty brave writing decision and it felt intentional, and it made her feel more human and sympathetic than if she caused a ton of romantic drama just by being too pure and good or whatever.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Masaki Special Stage

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Boss, Mucha, and Nuke are level 69. How can I keep them from gaining any more EXP?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nice.

I forgot to mention it the other day but I'm gonna do some Alpha 2 streaming today. Warning: Really dumb Crossbone Gundam plot ahead

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
New Gundam Breaker got a release date announcement(June 22), and they also revealed it's getting a PC release

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah, Brazil spilled the beans on a PC release a month ago.

I dunno how or why that always spoils PC releases.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
So here's a thing with some things in it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Wing animations continue to look pretty bad. And it looks like they ditched the slightly out of place animation the Nu Gundam had for the Hi-Nu and made it more generic.

Also Mazinkaiser vs Mazinger Zero is going to be rad. Do we know if Kouji's going to be able to get access to Zero or if its just an autonomous enemy this go around?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Also a trophy list:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/03/27/view-full-list-of-super-robot-wars-x-trophies-endings/amp/

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

So, there's a separate achievement for completing Chapter 1 a second time? Do I sense a changed plot in NG+?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Might just be to get you to do it with both characters.

Is there a translated list of the stuff in the premium sound edition?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Watching the demo, I'm reminded that there are so many characters who just appeared in the last game. Is there really no story connection between them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There isn't any. They just wanted to save money.

V had a lot of characters that were in the Z games.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ugh, hearing Main Title being used for the gorillionth time for CCA disappoints me. Seriously Banpresto, what did Beyond the Time do to you to make you so adverse to using it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

There isn't any. They just wanted to save money.

V had a lot of characters that were in the Z games.
Yeah, but not any that I can remember that had just appeared in Z3 for the first time, like Mightgaine etc in V to X.

You’re right though, they’re just trying to save money. I hope it’s for something really exciting coming up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean SRW is a niche franchise. it's frankly amazing it keeps going at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Might Gaine ends up getting used a lot as a "filler" Super Robot series like Daitarn and the Choudenji trio before it

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
They spent all the money on Mazinger again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Reusing series and animations wholesale isn't a new thing. They've always reused everything they can. Alpha to Alpha Gaiden had a lot of reuse, Alpha 2 to Alpha 3 had a lot of reuse, J to W had a lot of reuse, the entire Z series had an absolute assload of reuse. The only time you see a full game of new animations is when they have to buff up their visuals to a new generational standard, like when they had to make their initial HD assets for the PS3 games, or when they made Alpha 2.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve gotta keep on believing that one day there will be another jump like from Alpha to Z. I’ve gotta hold onto that feeling.

Edit: in a sense that jump already happened, but it seems limited to the OG games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 28, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’ve gotta keep on believing that one day there will be another jump like from Alpha to Z. I’ve gotta hold onto that feeling.

Edit: in a sense that jump already happened, but it seems limited to the OG games.

We basically had that, though. Compare Zeta from Z1(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcBjbbs_B0A) to Zeta from Z3(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Y1YSeMk-4); the attacks and the broad choreography are almost identical, but the Z3 one is full of additional details and animations that make it look worlds better than the Z1 version even beyond the obviously higher resolution.

It was easier to achieve large jumps in quality in older iterations of the series because units simply didn't animate as much and you didn't have stuff like custom dynamic kills or unique unit explosions and touches like that everywhere. We've achieved a baseline level of animation quality at this point that it's becoming unreasonable to expect larger jumps in quality because a lot of these attacks are almost straight up recreating the scenes from the source material at this point.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

Ugh, hearing Main Title being used for the gorillionth time for CCA disappoints me. Seriously Banpresto, what did Beyond the Time do to you to make you so adverse to using it?

They only use it when they're actually doing the plot of CCA. When it's Units only or Post-series it's just Main Title

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

They only use it when they're actually doing the plot of CCA. When it's Units only or Post-series it's just Main Title
That argument might hold water, except D used Beyond the Time, and that was post-series/units only.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

That argument might hold water, except D used Beyond the Time, and that was post-series/units only.

Technically no since the game starts with Axis Drop happening, just Amuro failed to prevent it. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don’t really mean higher quality even, just a different visual style. Z’s has been around for at least as long as the Alpha series by now and I don’t think I really like it any better in the first place.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don’t really mean higher quality even, just a different visual style. Z’s has been around for at least as long as the Alpha series by now and I don’t think I really like it any better in the first place.

Well, I mean, the visual style of Z1 to Z3 is enormously different. The robots have generally gotten far less SD and are currently hedging closer and closer to realistic proportions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Well, I mean, the visual style of Z1 to Z3 is enormously different. The robots have generally gotten far less SD and are currently hedging closer and closer to realistic proportions.
True, but they already started out with different proportions that I didn’t like as much. I guess most people did though since they have gotten more and more like that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Technically no since the game starts with Axis Drop happening, just Amuro failed to prevent it. :v:
...yeah, that is technically true. It just seems weird that they stick to those oddly specific limits.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Honestly I just think it's because Beyond The Time is probably expensive - they had to have it in Z3-1 because it's the iconic Axis drop stage music which they haven't done for a while and then dropped it in 3-2.

I kinda think they'll eventually move into animating like how Guilty Gear does it where it's technically 3D models being given a 2D-ish look just to save money because this series seems pretty unsustainable in terms of profit/cost since the source material's glory days are long over... well, unless they go all out with waifu mechanics in a new game and it miraculously becomes an explosive financial success but I digress.

Or maybe we'll see a huge change in exactly what series keeps getting reused when they have to start Hong Kong pandering due to faltering domestic sales.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Animating 'like Guilty Gear' is the literal opposite of saving time (and by extension, money). The amount of work that goes into making each shot 'look' 2D is insane.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Once they have the models and the animation principles in place wouldn’t it be easier to make different looking animations for future games?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Animating 'like Guilty Gear' is the literal opposite of saving time (and by extension, money). The amount of work that goes into making each shot 'look' 2D is insane.
Was I mistaken? Weird. I can't imagine doing it the roundabout way if spriting would be easier/cheaper for them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
SRWX has preorder but no preload? Why can’t they do even the most industry standard things right...

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Davzz posted:

Was I mistaken? Weird. I can't imagine doing it the roundabout way if spriting would be easier/cheaper for them.
They did a GDC talk a couple years ago about the technique, which is pretty illuminating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Basically, it's extremely time-consuming and requires specialized training/tech, but the benefit is, well... I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Xrd and Dragon Ball Fighterz are maybe the most aesthetically perfect video games ever made. (The time-consuming and specialized nature of all the work is probably why we haven't seen any DLC costumes for characters.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

deets posted:

They did a GDC talk a couple years ago about the technique, which is pretty illuminating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Basically, it's extremely time-consuming and requires specialized training/tech, but the benefit is, well... I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Xrd and Dragon Ball Fighterz are maybe the most aesthetically perfect video games ever made. (The time-consuming and specialized nature of all the work is probably why we haven't seen any DLC costumes for characters.)
I liked the part about animation and how the model was deliberately distorted away from “accuracy” was the key. They would definitely need to do that for SRW and yeah, I guess a lot of 3D animators would balk at it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's also the fact the GG/DBFZ models mean no more perspective switches or non-SD cut-ins, because you can't change the models

Everyone in DBFZ's story mode looks a little off and have the biggest hands ever because you just can't change what you have to look better for how close the camera is.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Fair enough.

I guess I'll have to change my statement to "I can't wait for SRW to have to go 3D for budget reasons so they can reuse all their X-Omega assets."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given every 3D SRW has looked not great I'm going to guess the series either stays sprites forever or dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at this point the sprites are a large part of the appeal, a 3d game would make a lot of the hardcore audience less interested.

• Locked thread