Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Holy poo poo, just finished X on the Amari plot. The entire last stage was the perfect flavor of epicly, awesomely corny and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"You keep calling yourself a god? Fine! Then with my drill, I'll make you holier!"

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pureauthor posted:

"You keep calling yourself a god? Fine! Then with my drill, I'll make you holier!"

The ramping stakes and the complete no-selling of them in the main ending route is absolutely hilarious. Especially when the two big bad dark lords poke a hole to let the Anti-Spirals in and start bleating about just how terrifying it'll be. The team's reaction is "pfffft, bring it on" to the whole thing and they just don't know how to react to it. Then god drat Ende the Devourer shows up and the entire team no-sells it because they'd been told by Spero, and they all just proceed to poo poo all over it for it. Speaking of making GBS threads, I saw the trend of dunking on Embryo from every possible angle continued from V and it was wonderful too. Actually, are we spoiling X related plot stuff stuff? I figured I'd do it to be safe.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Apparently the Hotline Miami devs are teasing a new Metal Wolf Chaos game for E3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's probably a remaster but yeah Devolver is gonna be hype this year

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Today just reminded me: Metal Wolf Chaos in SRW when?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Today just reminded me: Metal Wolf Chaos in SRW when?
MWC was too American for America, so maybe too American for SRW? Even though Texas Mack etc isn't.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, all the route splits are some of the easiest decisions I've ever made.
Route 1) All the cool awesome poo poo.
Route 2) Gundam trash.

One caveat:
Me: Oh hey we got some Gundams with cool designs for once. I wonder if any of them are any good.
One Gundam Wing later.
Me: :aaa:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I loaded Heero with a bunch of move+ stuff, some EN generator, EN save, Attack first, Attack again, morale bonuses for easy Zero System, and he was like the 4th unit I fully upgraded behind Xelgaurd and the Mazins.

Wing Zero was borderline invincible and I used the full proof strategy I used with Great Zeorymer; throw it in the middle of a pack of enemies and watch the explosions.

Of course, that made the Gundam routes even more hilarious stuff since everything has paper thin defense

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also me: You can't do 8000 damage just because. You're a Gundam.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Looks like Fire Emblem for the Switch is going to have a neat squad system-looking thing where named characters lead a gang of mooks. I kinda hope it has a Wide, Tri, and All formations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Puru the First is legit one of the best mobile suit pilots in the entirety of X. She joins early, auto-focus every round makes her astoundingly evasive even on expert, her stats are good, and she actually gets a relatively cheap Love in this one so she's not crippled on damage output. She's a fantastic main character MS pilot.

Puru the Second is hurt badly by joining incredibly late. She's still got auto focus so she's still solid but she's nearly crippled by not being able to really wring as much performance out of the Chamuro suits due to Artificial NT, so she's a lot more restrictive in suit selection and steps on the toes of other pilots because she ends up fighting over suits like the Full Cloth and the Alpha Azieru.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Looks like Fire Emblem for the Switch is going to have a neat squad system-looking thing where named characters lead a gang of mooks. I kinda hope it has a Wide, Tri, and All formations.
The trailer has one of the Important Named CharactersTM change his squad from one formation into a triangle-shaped one, so technically the Tri formation is confirmed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Beta impressions of New Gundam Breaker sound like it's gotten worse in every way possible, and not things that can be fixed easily.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samurai Sanders posted:

Beta impressions of New Gundam Breaker sound like it's gotten worse in every way possible, and not things that can be fixed easily.

What are the highlights?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zore posted:

What are the highlights?
- slow as hell and low frame rate
- intense lag in multiplayer
- builder's parts don't do anything anymore, but we knew that before
- have to grind levels for the inner frame now
- cheap looking galgame strapped on for no reason
- 3 on 3 pvp battles are meaningless when Gundam Versus games exists and take forever
- swapping parts out from your carefully designed MS mid-battle is as bad an idea as it sounded

etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Grinding levels shouldn't really be a dealbreaker considering Gundam Breaker has literally always been a grind at its heart, and the galgame stuff should be just as ignorable as the batshit crazy GB2 plot or the hometown hero GB3 plot if you don't care about any of that crap.

The performance parts are honestly the worrying parts. If the game runs like poo poo and has terrible netcode, well....

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Gundam Breaker 3 already had a too low frame rate for how much moving stuff on the screen you need to keep track of, and if it's worse frame rate AND more poo poo on the screen than absolutely no, count me out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At this point I'm only buying it because if it fails than the odds are good that Bandai would stop bringing Gundam games to the US again

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I think what's really important is everyone buys it day one so I can hear about how good it is or isn't and decide if I want to buy it day two or not. I will probably still end up buying it day one due to a crippling weakness to Gundam.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
My copy of X finally came in the mail yesterday. Bought the full DLC pack, then blew through nearly all the starting money before even meeting Sho, because there are so many guys I wanted to upgrade already. MC, Wataru, Masaki, and especially Grandis.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Grandis is secretly the best character.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think what's really important is everyone buys it day one so I can hear about how good it is or isn't and decide if I want to buy it day two or not. I will probably still end up buying it day one due to a crippling weakness to Gundam.

Same. Also I'll probably buy it regardless for reasons similar to dr. rockso's he does cocaine

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bacon flaps posted:

Same. Also I'll probably buy it regardless for reasons similar to dr. rockso's he does cocaine

After doing some heavy thinking I decided to cancel my order after all, I already got burned by one bad preorder recently(that Warhammer game that came out recently), so I'm just going to have to hope that Bandai actually pays attention to the criticism it's getting*

*helps that even people in Japan are giving it a metric rear end ton of poo poo for how bad it's turning out to be

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh boy, that first DLC stage. Must have been a pain to translate, but dear god, it was great.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ashsaber posted:

Oh boy, that first DLC stage. Must have been a pain to translate, but dear god, it was great.

In Japanese it was a bunch of goofy regional dialects. I turned it into the most low-hanging fruit of all, puns.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hokuto posted:

In Japanese it was a bunch of goofy regional dialects. I turned it into the most low-hanging fruit of all, puns.

:catstare:

I'm not sure if I should be sickened by this or understanding, in that if you used stereotypical accents, there would be people bitching about it.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 15, 2018

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Hokuto posted:

It worked flawlessly, and really helped sell Ryujinmaru as a father figure to Wataru because he's so into dad jokes.

You are a treasure Hokuto, never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Don't worry, Brunom1 just gets PTSD flashbacks from overexposure to a certain female character who shall not be named in MX. :v:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Izumi is good and so are Brunom and Hokuto. Always thanks to Brunom and Hokuto! And Caphi too! And anyone else I'm forgetting.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, it looks like pretty much all the secrets that need me to take a specific route split all want me to take the boring ones? But all that requires that are, uh.... α Azieru, a couple Jagd Dogas and Glemy? Yeah, choosing the super routes all the way through. Might miss the special parts, especially the extra arms, but eh. It is possible to get Bizon without actually taking any of the Gundam/Buddy Complex routes, right?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Just finished X, it's pretty fun and I liked how they refined all the new systems from V. Though I think V is still the overall better game.

I much prefer the final boss to V's massive swarm of Double-Attacking baddies though. Even though the ending really jerks you around with Spero's fate.

Any word on when the next OG game is coming? After 2 mainlines, I feel like an OG is next.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ashsaber posted:

So, it looks like pretty much all the secrets that need me to take a specific route split all want me to take the boring ones? But all that requires that are, uh.... α Azieru, a couple Jagd Dogas and Glemy? Yeah, choosing the super routes all the way through. Might miss the special parts, especially the extra arms, but eh. It is possible to get Bizon without actually taking any of the Gundam/Buddy Complex routes, right?

Yup, the only things you cannot get if you take the Super route every time are those three things and the extra items. Everything else you can get because the point system is really good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just finished X, it's pretty fun and I liked how they refined all the new systems from V. Though I think V is still the overall better game.

I much prefer the final boss to V's massive swarm of Double-Attacking baddies though. Even though the ending really jerks you around with Spero's fate.

Any word on when the next OG game is coming? After 2 mainlines, I feel like an OG is next.

I don't think the SRW team is as subject to leaks as AAA Western game devs. Just going by the pattern of releases though, I think we're due for a 3DS or maybe even Switch release.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I beat the game.

1) Is Gurren Lagen some kind of crazy person's anime?
2) I know that for the most part the game is easy enough to use your favorites, but then what do you do against the last bosses who seem to basically be immune to Reals.
3) No playable Mazinger Zero until the very end was disappointing
4) Is Cross Ange kind of a gross anime?
5) I'm ready for that series to not be in the next SRW even though I like the cast.
6) I didn't really feel Billbine or Buddy Complex very much at all.
7) I loved Mashin Hero Wataru though.
8) Nadia of the Blue waters was ok, but I don't know if the 'non-robot anime in SRW' works if the main character is a non-combatant.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 18, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

So I beat the game.

1) Is Gurren Lagen some kind of crazy person's anime?
2) I know that for the most part the game is easy enough to use your favorites, but then what do you do against the last bosses who seem to basically be immune to Reals.
3) No playable Mazinger Zero until the very end was disappointing
4) Is Cross Ange kind of a gross anime?
5) I'm ready for that series to not be in the next SRW even though I like the cast.
6) I didn't really feel Billbine or Buddy Complex very much at all.
7) I loved Mashin Hero Wataru though.

1) It's an anime for MEN WHO FIGHT AGAINST DESTINY! Basically it's a tribute to old school super robot shows that goes to eleven. It's made by the team who went on to form Trigger, so it goes for over the top whenever it can.
2) Die?
3) I would imagine so, yes.
4) Yes.
5) This is normal
6) This is also normal
7) Still normal

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you want a feel for Dunbine watch the first episode, then watch episode 2 a total of 47 times, then watch the actual last episode.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 18, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

If you want a feel for Dunbine watch the first episode, then watch episode 2 a total of 47 times, then watch the actual last episode.

Now hold on just a minute, that's not fair. There's a whole chunk in the middle of Dunbine where Cham breaks Sho out of a holding room in a makeshift military housing area by painstakingly lugging a grenade to his door and pulling the pin. Then Sho and Cham rush to the hangar to get back to the Dunbine, where there are two guards. Sho bodychecks one while Cham goes for the eye poke on the other. :gonk:

While all of this is going on, a native Byston Well woman named Garalia is hiding out in the backwoods of Japan holding up picnickers at swordpoint to take their picnic baskets full of food so she can survive. This comes to an abrupt halt when a bunch of unhappy Japanese huntsmen in flannel track her and chase her down with shotguns, forcing her to flee back to her Bastole and take to the skies and start cutting down JSDF fighter jets again.

I mean, yeah, I get your point, sometimes it's repetitive, especially in the latter third where every single episode is the Zelana rushing Bishot's army and getting rebuffed. On the other hand, sometimes Dunbine rules.

SRW consistently fails to encapsulate the things that make Dunbine great, IMO.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 18, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Dunbine crew are great! Bug mechs! Fairies! Swords charged with power to shoot beams! And the Billbine is good if only because of "Aura giri-daaaAAaAAaaAaAAaaAaaaAaa" though Sho does do huge damage. Aced and with Attacker he ends up at something like +50% damage at 150 will or above and all his numbers are huge from the Custom Bonus and his really high Battler skill. He's pretty much insect mech Ryouma in terms of base damage output, but with a fairy friend instead of a fat friend. Buddy Complex however is maximum Generic Mecha Anime so its difficult to have strong feelings about it in any direction other than "oh, huh, its there I guess" so that's a natural reaction.

Reals vs the final boss basically amount to using Foresee all the time, or at least Disrupt + Focus/Instinct with a Foresee after their turn is done so they don't die to map attacks. Obviously you gave the OG the 11/11B birthday and loads of SP Up and recovery items and chose the Vault upgrade that makes Foresee cheaper in preparation for the Inevitable Real Killing Boss. X's isn't too bad if you have them super upgraded, but I was Super heavy, the only reals I used were Billbine, Sirbine, Hi-Nu, Sazabi, Zeta, ZZ, Vivian and the Nightingale. The only ones of those without a top tier fighting pilot in was Fa in the Nightingale and Vivian and they all have the spells needed to either not get hit or have Persist (or both!), so I can see it being much more difficult if you have to spend twice as much SP a turn on Foresee because you have way more people that need it. The other thing is having a bunch of support defenders with shields around, but that doesn't help so much against the rude boy map attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also if you need to Gurren Lagaan and the Mazingers can body the final boss hilariously by themselves.

• Locked thread