Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Televisio Frankus posted:

I think that the most important thing to know about the previous games is that someone named a battleship the Air Christmas.

Also, it has the Fir Tree Blade attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

-Troika- posted:

What kind of dimensions does the Air Christmas have anyways?

I don't have my PS3 hooked up anymore so I can't easily check the database, but the Christmas class is bigger than the Space Noah class.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

-Troika- posted:

:stare: Isn't the Space Noah class 552m long already?

Yes, though I don't remember by how much it's bigger. For all I know it's like 560m - mostly I remember it has an extra hangar compared to the Hagane. (edit: The Hagane has multiples too, so it's not doubling its carrying capacity or anything.)

That said, it also has a Balmarian-derived space-jump system, and Balmarian ships are gigantic (the Hermodr class is 27.8 kilometers long, and even the Huleh is much bigger than the Earth's ships IIRC) so I assume they went 'eh, put some more bits on, whatever'. Or Euzeth provided dimensions.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 6, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AzraelNewtype posted:

The Eltreum is 70km long, so there's still plenty of room before they hit the Top.

Well yeah, I meant the OG Earth ships. Even the Exelion's a good 7.2 kilometers. I want to say the Huleh class is in the same rough size range as it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Droyer posted:

SRW thread, I have a question: I recently ordered the kotobukiya Granzon model. It comes with 2 different blades for the Granworm sword: one that looks like the regular sowrd, and one that looks like this

At first I thought it came from the SRW Gaiden, but the sword in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6RAE5Ru3U doesn't really look like either of them. And so my question is: Where is this sword from?

No idea. Possibly original.

I tried to look it up, and every picture of that sword came from Kotobukiya models. I don't recognize it, not even from Masoukishin games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Speaking of Lamia.

I don't know what I'm looking at but it terrifies me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm so glad it's finally here. :allears:

Mine isn't even being tracked in my country yet. :(

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Just started Moon Dwellers, had been doing it on stream live (stream's over now though).

Holy poo poo are those early SR points brutal. I don't even know how you'd do Space 3. I couldn't physically get to them fast enough. (I'd killed 3 and nicked a fourth.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Irisize posted:

Raid is your friend.

I used Raid and Accel (well, Quicken, but it's still Accel to me) and I still didn't make it quite in time. It doesn't help that Rai just ain't that fast, even when paired with someone faster.

If you keep items in NG+, I could definitely do it then, though. I'd only need a couple Boosters, one for each member of the team.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

You dont. Special mode give you 1 of everything though.

Not even the... ability block things? There is a movement one in there. RIP.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Its easy if you put everybody in the battleship. That moves as far as it can for two turns and then everybody piles out with Quicken/Raid and they basically get a free 6 movement on turn 2. It's real tough otherwise though, I got close but battleship trick was what did it.

I should have been able to figure that one out. Next time!!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dammit, I forgot to abuse the Bronco II loophole.

The what?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

It is cheaper to upgrade Kei's starting unit in Z than it is to upgrade his actual unit during the brief period you can do so.

Ah. Wasn't even aware of that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tighran posted:

How is the English translation of Moon Dwellers, mechanically speaking? Meaning story stuff aside, do the menus and spirit commands and mission objectives make sense? I'd love to play a SRW game without having to refer to a guide for the first half of the game to learn the seishins and for the rest of the game for the objectives and bonus stuff. And getting some story stuff would be neat too, even knowing that it'll be bad at times.
I've played a fair amount of OG, beat Z2: Hakai-Hen, and am maybe halfway through 2nd OG or whatever it's referred to as though I haven't touched it in years. Grinding in Gundam Breaker 3 is getting a bit boring and I'd really like to dive into a SRW game in a way I never have been able to before. Is Moon Dwellers everything I could wish for?

The mechanical stuff is perfectly legible; the game throws a couple surprises at you (on a 'defeat all enemies on the same turn', more enemies show up when you kill them, and you have to get them too) but that's not a translation thing. The big thing to note is that when it says 'by turn X' it really means including that turn. Many of the SCs and robots and such are not the same as their older translations, though (Accel is now Quicken, for instance) but if you've never played a SRW game you won't even notice that. I've seen some typos and some badly translated attack names, but nothing that would stop you from playing.

The story is kind of hilariously translated though, yeah.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Senerio posted:

You said Katina is good in the Grungust 3, when can she pilot that? I have it but it's not on her list. (Moon Dwellers)

Also when do Rio and Ryoto get personal mechs? Theirs look rather generic.

Those are their personal mechs. (Ryoto also has Armourlion, but there are about a thousand people better than he is in it.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Senerio posted:

Oh ok. Is there other mechs they should go in or are they destined for the Generic life?

I pretty much never use them in any of the OG games, so I couldn't tell you what you might want to shove them in, sorry. I've got way too many other people to use.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm interested in picking up the Vita G Genesis with subs when it comes out. I haven't played much SRW before, but am familiar with the gameplay a little. Do we know if this version with english subs will have full translation or only partial menu stuff?

If it's like their Moon Dwellers one, it will have a full translation (if somewhat mechanical at times, and prone to grammatical errors).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah it would have been wild, but holy molyyYYY. That's not quite what I was expecting but that is 100% a Mazinkaiser++ version of Great Mazinger. I doubt the SRW folks would let the translators do it as Genie Emperor G but the tamashii store website would lead me to believe otherwise if it's gonna be MD style crabstick translation. I don't think MD did anything as bad as that. Maybe thats why they got the "better" translators for V they mentioned in the interview thing?

All we need now is Great Borot and Borotkaiser.

That site is just machine-translated (it appears to be Google Translate, specifically); it points out its machine translation in the bottom right, though I missed it at first too. I doubt any translator has ever looked at it.

The name of the unit is, on the Japanese version of the page, Mazin Emperor G (マジンエンペラーG) and I would expect it to be called that in English.

Hell of a surprise unit, though.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 30, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah I was just thinking about how machine-y MD was and if it ends up the same as the tamashii store then welcome to hell Tetsuya in the Genie Emperor G. Genie Power. Full Power.

I didn't think MD was quite this automatic (though it was pretty bad), but I've got a preorder on V, so I guess if it Genie Emperor G I'll be one of the first to know.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm just real glad it was the old Huckebein art. I like it more than its future evolutions, probably because it's not so busy (something Banpresto seems to have trouble with occasionally). Old Grungust is pretty aces too.

I can't say I was expecting either of these, but I expected the Huckebein less after all they've done to get rid of base-model Huckebeins in OG games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pureauthor posted:

That list of music is part of the Premium Edition. They're songs with vocals instead of just instrumentals.

V has a premium edition? drat, I didn't see that one for preorder.

Raxivace posted:

Is V up for preorder anywhere?

PlayAsia has it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hokuto posted:

Here's a translation of the preorder bonuses:

Bonus 1: Get a gift scenario that lets you get useful parts and money at the start of the game
Bonus 2: SRWV original theme
Bonus 3: Use SRW 25th anniversary special addition robots Grungust and Huckebein right from the beginning of the game

My general impressions of the trainer:

I liked Athrun's Char Kick? F91 is good. Puru had good animations. And maybe this time we won't have any reason to do a bunch of griping about the female lead being relegated to support pilot. :v:

Oh, you get all those preorder bonuses? That's cool.

Still curious about the 'premium edition' with the vocal BGMs, I didn't see that one for sale.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm used to thinking of the Huckebein series as being super detailed and overly designed, so seeing how streamlined the original suit is really surprised me. It actually looks really cool!

That kind of mirrors my thoughts with the Grungust's, too. I've never cared for the Grungust 0 or Grungust 3.

The F and FF-era art was quite different in general from modern art. Gundams had eyes in-game. It was a weird time. But the concept art was generally a little less busy - as you put it, accurately, more streamlined. Even the Guest generic units got a huge bump in complexity when they started showing up in OG games (though some of them, like the original Liege Geios, were already starting to become really complex).

Edit: IMO this really began with the PSX-era and onward games, probably because the increasing resolution allowed them to make more complicated designs legible on-screen. Even the GBA screen, though no bigger in resolution than the SNES, tended to be a little sharper than an old-style CRT monitor.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 31, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Caphi posted:

They're 25th anniversary throwback inclusions, they are expressly unit-only nostalgia bait.

Are they unit-only? I assumed those pilots were a) locked to them and b) story-related.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

Something new: Mazin Emperor.

No, there's a Great much earlier, too (1:06, unless I really have my Mazingers confused).

I assume it's just kind of a generically polished Great to go with the original Shin Mazinger before they get bumped into ZERO and Mazin Emperor G.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 1, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The middle one is the Gyan Custom, which was built much later than the Gyan - it's Neo-Zeon, but was much harder to pilot than most of their mechs so never made it out of very limited production.

G Gen's used it before - in fact I think they're the only thing that ever has, as it was created for one of the G Gen games, SD I think - so it's not surprising that they've decided to use it again.

I don't recognize either of the others immediately, though.

edit: now with timg, didn't realize that was so big

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 15, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh I didn't know that, I thought nukes were prohibited by treaty all the way through CCA.

Either way he was the only one who was like "Whoa that's where you load the NUCLEAR WARHEADS right? Awesome!" which is pretty weird to me.

To be fair, there's really no reason to ban nuclear warheads in space, where fallout is not exactly an issue and the sun is putting out lots of radiation all the time. On Earth and against colonies, sure, but if you're having a space mobile suit fight a tactical nuke is not really going to cause any particular long-term problems except to soldiers.

Just short-term ones from everything blowing up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 18, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HitTheTargets posted:

Huh. I always figured it was some bullshit pedantry. Like, the Antarctic Treaty only applied to the Principality of Zeon, not neutral colonies or whatever you'd call the Delaz fleet.

For sure the GP-02 on its own doesn't violate the treaty. As long as it never actually fires a nuke, it's golden.

And indeed there's a GP-02 variant loadout when they don't want to use a nuke that uses a giant beam bazooka (it's modified from the Squire weapon platforms, which you might remember being used in Unicorn as makeshift turrets by Geara Zulus but were originally designed for Zakus in the OYW). That loadout is absolutely 100% not violating anything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another thing I was never clear on, was that attack that GP02 used that wiped out the fleet the nuke, or that beam bazooka thing?

That was the nuke, though the way it's animated sure makes it look like it's going to be a beam.

The beam bazooka doesn't actually make a spherical explosion like that, though; it's just a beam cannon in two parts that locks together the same way as the atomic bazooka.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Project Orion doesn't really detonate nukes internally so much as poop nukes that push it forward.

'Guys, you know what will solve mobility problems in space? NUCLEAR BOMBS.'

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Would you believe me if I said that the U.S. military considered doing exactly this at one point? It's called the Casaba-Howitzer, if you want to look the thing up.

I thought those were disposable (and in fact would have been mounted on a launch system of some sort - booster rockets maybe?), though they were designed to be directional. More or less. Within ten or fifteen degrees, anyhow (which is to be fair a hell of a lot more directional than most nuclear explosions). But it wouldn't be something you could fire while holding without blowing yourself up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 19, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

Loran was good in z1 as well because he had the +30 spirit spell which means instant Moonlight Butterfly and it's kinda busted on a no-upgrade run.

Didn't he have SP Regen too in a game where that's rare? I know he sometimes gets it but I might be mixing it up with one of the others.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The GIG posted:

I really wish I had the money for this. Hoping this somehow gets brought over or I magically get a payraise so I can import.

I need to figure out how to make a Singapore PSN and then also get cards for it. What is a good way to put money on that account once I figure out how to make one? I assume my Canadian VISA won't do it directly.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

The Singapore PSN is all in English so you can make an account online just like usual.

I use Play Asia for funds just because they email them instantly.

Do I have to find a specific South Asia card to use? That sounds like the way to go though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

Yes, you need the specific region money. Just get the same kind of card as account you make. If you make a Singapore account just search Play Asia for PSN Singapore.

Cool, I'll try that when I get home. Sounds like it's way easier than I expected it to be.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Actually, here's a question.

As someone who has never played a G Gen game, what are the major differences I should be aware of from SRW? I suppose the manual will be English too so I can just read it and try but I like to have a vague idea of what I'm getting into.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

You don't have designated units. Instead it's about collecting and upgrading units and pilots. The plots are almost universally just "here is the actual story." The mechanics are pretty different but the game has tutorials that explain them all.

Interesting. Does it let you use wrong-theme characters and robots if the plots are straight adaptations - for instance, can I deploy Domon in the 0079 plot if I've got him? Or, for an even more extreme example, Quattro?

Not that I remember if Domon is in this one, it's just an example.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
G Generations Genesis note:

Save before you start messing with modifications. I had a softlock while installing one, and now I have to redo the stage before since I thought I'd do the gear meddling first.

Edit: I don't really want to do that stage again immediately. Is there any penalty for wandering off and doing one of the other scenarios for a while? I started with the original 0079 stuff, but if I go and do Zeta's scenarios is it going to remove my progress on 0079?

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 23, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, you can wander from stage to stage without much trouble. The only real 'hard part' is that later stages tend to have heavier hitting stuff. You can still take on Unicorn right away but Full Frontal can oneshot a Tornado Gundam vs Zakus barely scratching it.

OK, no harm going to do one of the early ones then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I really don't see SRW including graphic psuedo-sodomy or whatever and it would probably be pretty trivial to SRW Cross Ange's plot into something non-awful so it might be the Destiny of this specific game where it actually comes out better than it would normally.

I mean, they managed to get in Zeorymer and Demonbane. More than once, for Zeorymer. It'll be fine.

Edit: I forgot anime Zeorymer at least toned that down anyway (I don't know anything about anime Demonbane so maybe that does too). Whoops.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 23, 2016

• Locked thread