Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I just want to know if Ryusei's attack names ended up getting romanized or literally translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Psychodriver was always a NotNewtype Hit/Evade boost that let you use some extra weapons and barriers. I'm pretty sure it's never contributed to range.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

His ultimate dream was to be ridden by Sanger. This is Fact.

EDIT: Shine's crush on Rai is actually pretty good, because last I checked, OG let subpilots count for relationship bonuses. All you have to do is put Shine next to the SRX for a nice little damage boost.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 8, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

No, no, Shine loves Rai and not the other way around. The Fairlion gets a boost from being next to the SRX.

...yes, exactly. That's what I said, good job.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Subpilots count as being adjacent for the main pilot.

If you twin a robot with someone that has a relationship bonus with a subpilot, pretty sure the twin gets the extra level.

In other words:

Ryusei gets a level two Friendship bonus from Rai and Aya just for sitting in the SRX.

If you move Shine next to the SRX (not in a twin), she gets the benefit of her level 3 Love bonus with Rai.

If you twin the Fairlion G and the SRX, Shine gets an extra level of her Love bonus. Ryusei gets nothing.

If you twin Mai and the SRX, she gets all her benefits from level 4 Friendship with Aya and level 3 Friendship with Rai. (levels 3 and 2 normally, plus an extra from being twinned) Ryusei gets a level 3 Friendship from Mai and the same level 2s from Aya and Rai he always gets. Rai and Aya don't get a bonus (or it's irrelevant) because they're subpilots.

That said, I last seriously tested this in OGS. If anyone wants to break out a save and do some testing, be my guest. The whole bit with Shine was all I wanted to say, but it seems I wasn't clear enough and everyone misunderstood me. I hope this is better.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hell no, I want to be able to use the AR-series.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You know, people say Calvina comes out worse in MD but I honestly don't think so, unless it changes at the very very end. I'm like a stage or two away from the finish and she basically carries the entire early-game plot (whereas Touya is "Granteed can't be captur... oh poo poo they captured Granteed again!") and once she gets over her revenge she becomes hyper-competent and honestly super reasonable. I particularly like how her response to Ju-Mu fighting for his family is "Yeah, a lot of people are fighting for their families, why does that excuse what he did?"

No one liked Calvina for being super reasonable.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That's fair, I'm just more of a fan of secret characters rather than equippable items or mechs, it's something I have a problem with in the Z series as well. My main problem is hearing about Granteed being bad for most of the game until the upgrade since it's my favorite OG super.

I don't think OG has ever had a secret character. It's all mechs, weapons, or parts. OG doesn't even do secret last-stage reinforcements, those all happen automatically.

Honestly the days of tons of secrets are probably behind us anyway thanks to ever-inflating budgets. It's easy to justify giving you a whole mess of secret mobile suits when they're barely animated, much harder when all of them require tons of animation and extra voicework.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Here's the summarized version:

1) Get a unit with the MB skill as the lead of a Twin
2) Park said Twin next to another Twin, same plane
3) All four units got an F-weapon equipped? Are they in range?
4) Do they have 140 morale?
5) Have the person with the skill start an attack, using a non-ALL weapon, and MB will be usable

Note that it also costs will to use, unless the pilot starting the attack is an aced Aya.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

What kind of hero sits back and lets someone else do all the work?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Shine Hausen. :colbert:

Was able to pilot the Fairlion just fine when she got taken to La Gias without Latooni.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Sounds like the SRX needs an upgrade, then.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

What about all the super robots in use by the military, such as the Giganscudo, Grungust, and SRX?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

It gets weirder. There's also what I think is the SRX drama that's sort of Alpha, OG vocal themes, and even more OG vocal themes, just in case you were missing a few.

Plus a ton of JAM Project stuff, but that's at least slightly legit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Axel has done nothing but get jerked off by the writers since OG2. Get over it.

They've been slowly trying to fix Kusuha, though there's still an annoying lack of Bullet getting kidnapped.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

Is the best way to through these games just tapping through the story sections and basically ignoring them entirely, or should I have a story translation at the ready the entire time?

Do you want to experience the story? Maybe play one of the fully translated ones first, see if you like SRW stories, then decide if you want to deal with having a translation on hand.

Assuming you have a translation, of course.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Except I'm pretty sure she was melee-focused in 2ndOG, so it's just weird.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I just want win the DC War and have to take an army of Lions led by backstabbers up against Levi.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Because SRW fans aren't deep in weebland anyway.

I think the patches have so far mostly used the Atlus names, but it's been forever since I looked at J or @G.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Well, I'm hype.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd give up a lot to have that song in SRW as well. One day, my good goon. One day.

Here's my two cents on Cross Ange: I'm just waiting for how they'll handwave the mechs being able to operate in zero gravity and the pilots not dying from the vacuum of space due to the exposed cockpits and pilot suits.

They handle this every single SRW with Boss and it's always "just put on this space suit real quick" if they bother to bring it up at all. I don't see why Cross Ange would be any different.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

The original Huckebein was amazing in OG1 and was a victim of the massive power creep of OG2, even if it was still a fairly solid unit.

Sadly, Ring isn't too hot in it, considering her will gains, but it's a good unit for Leona if you're not just going to shove her in the Wurger L forever.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

My dream SRW is starting off with a bunch of Yokoyama manga, then a sequel with Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Grinding?

Sometimes I've heard people call it the game over trick, but mostly just grinding.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think Atlus translated 闘争心 as Warring Heart? I never bothered getting it either way.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

The entire SRX Team gets together, the Banpreios HTB Cannon gets four Love bonuses at once, the resulting damage blows up the game in real life.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah and i can actually remember the names of the less important voltron subpilots, unlike in golion

Ippei, Daijiro, Hiyoshi, and Megumi, aren't they?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

All we know regarding the Space Noah line is that the 4th and 6th ships (but no mention of the 5th ship, oddly enough) of the line are being constructed on the moon at the start of OG2, with no names given for the ships. Kogane would be a logical direction they'd go for a name, but we'll see if anything further from the Space Noah line even gets completed.

Didn't they end up pretty much dropping the Space Noah line in favor of the...Fir Tree? line?

What is the Air Christmas' classification, anyway?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

They're not very Gundam, but I dig them.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I think Rouse did that at one point, but I cannot recall what game(s) applied that effect.

Alpha? That feels like a really Alpha thing to do.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Can't you dodge on support defends in OG anyway? I feel like I've seen this a few times. (I know you can activate Double Image/Jammers/etc, which is why Latooni/Shine having Support Defend isn't terrible)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

This game looks so good, holy poo poo.

I might have to get a PS4 sooner rather than later.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Caphi posted:

Wait, can you just replay missions from the chart?

You could for the special scenarios in Alpha 3 too, I guess it's just an idea they go back to occasionally.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Everyone having Valor/Hotblood in the SRX owns. I can't wait until Mai shoves herself in there (and then they rebalance the spirit lists and don't give Rai Drive again).

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

You can still get the SR point if you fail? I thought they stopped doing that after OG1.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I don't think OG1 had relationship bonuses.

You could check Friendship in a similar way in J/W, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure coin swords are one of those Chinese fantasy magic things that sometimes show up in wuxia and related genres. I think I remember the production commentary for episode 7 mentioning that Imagawa brought one back from Hong Kong?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Shin SRW is the weird experimental one with realistically proportioned unit sprites and is where the original concepts of the SRX TEam debuted. Major changes from their modern counterparts include Ryusei being a bit more of a jerk and Aya having romantic feelings towards Ryusei. Also, Master Asia is an alien. Also also, Voltes V disappears for good after about 15 stages unless you take the Earth Route path (IIRC). Shin SRW is Voltes V's debut in the series, for the record.

Aya had romantic feelings towards Amuro in Shin, which was even weirder.

Shin is a very strange game that made some very bad choices. But I think it's still one of the highest selling SRWs?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hokuto posted:

That's the one I was eyeing the most. There's also this SRW OG Chronicle I'm seeing, which looks like an anthology of side stories. Any opinions there? One of them has a pretty badass cover.

OG Chonicle has some fun side-stories. I think that's the one that has one where Gilliam's subordinates are not-Amuro and not-Kamen Rider Black and he summons his mech by yelling "CALL GESPENST" for all the Hero Senki in-jokes. Probably worth picking up.

The Divine Wars manga is...okay, but you got most of the experience by watching Divine Wars. And the artist just kind of has issues with hair in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Those aren't 1 and 2, those are like 5 and 6. I managed to track down a few of the earlier parts, but I think 4 is lost forever.

• Locked thread