Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

F and F Final are the only classic SRW games I can stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I haven't played MD yet, what makes Calvina so good? The Bel-whatever was pretty bad in J but a lot of that was because the AI targeting priorities made Reals really bad in that game. Does she gave a post move or giant area MAP attack or something?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've been replaying Z3.2 with the intent to use some of the lesser used units but Banpresto really screwed over a ton of pilots with bad spirits. Mostly it's decent combat pilots that don't gain any form of Valor/Soul. It really sucks if you want to stick Four or Gyunei in the Nu or something because they have stats on par with Loran and decent Newtype levels but the last third of the game they're pretty much useless against bosses and grunts are trivialized by MAP attacks. At least Marida gets Love so I'm running her in the Alpha Azieru. I think this is one of the only SRW games with more end game viable UC Gundam combat units than pilots.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

+5 starting will isn't that bad for a MD Ace bonus even if it did apply to just her. Looking at the MD Aces almost none of them are super impressive or unit defining.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I think Alpha 3 was still one of those relic games where some units had their lovely attacks I.E. Gundam Wing vulcans as their squad attacks, while the weaker units used their strongest attacks.

Squad attacks in general in Alpha 3 were pretty bad. It was usually better to put your support pilots in units that had decent movement, flight and survivability rather than power. There were a few exceptions, like the Tallgeese and Evangelion units that actually hit pretty hard but they weren't common.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Would anyone be interested in a SRW draft? For those who aren't familiar, a draft is where each player takes turns picking units and then compete to see who can get the lowest turn count. It's mostly a Serenes Forest thing for Fire Emblem but it works just as well for SRW games and this thread is one of the bigger English speaking SRW communities out there. If a couple people are interested I can start a thread in PGS for it. I'm not sure what game yet, but I was thinking maybe MX. I'm open to suggestions.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's an interesting idea but honestly would probably not be very fun for SRW. MX for example would be "Did you get Zeorymer? Congrads!" Fire Emblem has units that are (by and large) in the same realm of power whereas SRW has a tremendous gulf between units that even extremely good play couldn't really compensate for the difference between Zeta Gundam and Zeorymer.

MX might be a bad idea but to use something like W for an example, the difference between Mazinkaiser and Golion are pretty small in absolute turns saved. Sure, the Golion player will need to be a bit more careful to manage their SP for survivability but there isn't really anything one can do that the other can't. Going with one of the OG games might be a better idea. Probably OG2 because I don't really like OG1.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are apparently no complete unit lists online for OG2 GBA so can someone who has played it more recently take a look at this? The Alt, Weissritter, Angelg and battleships aren't on the list because everyone will have access to them. Am I missing anything? Also, what are all the combiners? I remember SRX but I'm pretty sure there's at least one more.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

You missed the Gespenst Type S, and the Huckbien Mk. III and the AM Gunner can combine to the Huckbien Gunner.

Also, wouldn't it be better to do the draft by Pilot rather then Mech?

I prefer to draft by mech than pilot. Especially in an OG game where there are only a few pilot locked mechs. Otherwise everybody ends up using the same mechs which is less interesting than everybody using the same pilots.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Definitely not. Pilot switching is allowed and encouraged. The Kai, Katina and Russel bit is just to differentiate them since they have the same name. Also, I don't remember but do you keep the Huckebein Trombe and Grungust Type 3 after Ratsel and Sanger upgrade? If you do I'll add them but if not I'll just make them part of the same pick.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

You keep the Huckbien Trombe (and theres a small secret to make it a nornal Mk. III) but not the Type 3.

Edit: What are the rules going to be for combined units? I see three ways it can be done.

A) In order to use the Combined unit you need to draft all its component units.
B) You draft the Combined unit, but are not allowed to use its component units separately unless you draft them.
C) If you draft a component unit, you can use the Combined unit, but not the other component units uncombined unless you draft them too.

Thanks, it's been too long since I've played OG2.

I'm going with B. I'm not sure whether SRX should be banned, though. It's definitely the best unit in the game while it exists but it doesn't show up until pretty late and it's not as powerful if you can't do uncombine R-formation shenanigans.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I updated the unit list with Huckebein Gunner, Boxer, MKIII R, Gespenst S, SRX, Vaisaga and Wildwurger L. I think SRX Is very good but not broken so I'm going to include it. It is very unlikely that a player will get access to all the R-series for R-Formation and fairly unlikely that they won't get R-Gun for HTB Cannon. Without those the SRX is just a very good super that doesn't show up until more than halfway through the game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'll just ban it outright. That gives an even 44 units which divides evenly by 4. I should have the thread up later tonight unless someone else has something to add.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Thread is up. I went ahead and added Dr Pepper to the player list. We need one more person.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789063

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 5, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm tempted but I'm not sure how good I'd be/if I'd actually keep up.

It doesn't really matter. It's mostly just an excuse to play a game in a different way by using different units and playstyle than you normally would.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My mistake. Deleted.

Vaisaga is NG+ only on a closer look.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

KoB posted:

Also Huckebein MK III Trombe/ MK III R and Vaisaga/Ashsaber are mutually exclusive.

That doesn't matter as long as the players don't pick both.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sanger was fun in Alpha Gaiden and really uninteresting in everything else

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I legitimately like SRW gameplay a lot. They're pretty unique SRPGs and a lot of them have some kind of game specific mechanic even if the core gameplay is the same.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The S Rank FUBs are more for the weapons gaining S ranks than the machine itself, since a fully upgraded unit doesn't normally need more evasion or hit rate. 10% extra damage is always useful, though a lot of OG units have natural S Ranks on finishers so it's wasted on some units.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

For some reason I thought S rank for weapons was only 5% difference, but I must be thinking of just the regular bonus? I'm guessing S rank for Space is the one to pick when you go that route then considering how SRW endgame tends to go?

It might vary between games but I think S rank is usually 110%, A 100%, B 90% etc. And usually space is the way to go outside of oddballs like Alpha Gaiden. Just remember to check what natural rankings your attacks have because stuff like Funnels often have S ranks in space.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They should just recast dead or retired voice actor's characters more often like they did for God Sigma.

Aithon posted:

What's the best all stat upgrades bonus for the Arbalest in SRW J? (Because full weapon upgrade apparently comes with its own bonus.) Do I get free flight if I go with the S on all terrain bonus? I'm kind of on the fence between that and mobility, because it's already ridiculously agile, but I suppose an S rating anywhere would do pretty much the same thing.

You don't get free flight, you'll still have to burn a part slot. If movement is an option go for that, if not just boost HP or something. More mobility isn't really helpful for one of the dodgiest units in the game and all of its attacks are ammo based.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 15, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Virgola sounds better than Virgora so use that

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Was the Nightingale in Alpha 3? I know the Hi-Nu has been in a number of other games but I'm pretty sure the Nightingale was just in those two.

Nightingale was not in Alpha 3 but Hi-Nu and HWS both were.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You even got the Sazabi in @3 as a secret unit. There was nothing really stopping them from upgrading that to the Nightingale.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Does Shotgunning in the FMW games apply to any attack with over 1 range or just ones that scale off the Ranged stat? After bouncing off FMW1 several times due to not really liking the character balance (having only one real super in a game with very little money for upgrades and a ton of characters with garbage spirits leads to everything feeling pretty RNG heavy) I'm liking FMW2 a lot more already for just dumping a couple more legit supers (L size and 1000+ Armor/5000+HP) on me early on.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Isn't Kai becoming a super newtype basically what happens in the Gundam novel?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I gotta say it took long enough for them to finally give Great an upgrade.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm excited for late UC for the first time since what, Alpha 2? I am curious if it's going to have a squad or partner system of some sort. Some of those attacks (I'm thinking Crossbone in particular) looked like they could be ALLs but that doesn't mean much.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Technically Touya has better Will gains and spirits but Calvina is totally fine. Just make sure you pick Granteed or Vorlent because the Reals are bad for the reason ImpAtom brought up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hivac posted:

does Kou ever get good in SRWF or is he just a dumpster heap forever?

edit: i'm starting to feel this way towards UC gundams in general in this game

Oldtype Gundam pilots are garbage forever.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Loran is probably the best pilot for Turn A in Z3.2, thanks to his Ace Bonus and spirit set. But Oldtypes having any advantages is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The original Huckebein and Boxer were both fantastic in OG2. The other Huckies were pretty decent chassis for the better real weapons too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's intended. You can actually activate the flag with a gameshark.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I played an earlier version of that patch years ago and I'm pretty sure it used to be Conf for confusion, I guess.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

iirc her spirit list in z2/z2.2 is

Strike
Invincible
Yell
Valor
Fury
Soul

also even if you hate geass suzaku is a good unit with cool animations, shame on you

She had Guard and Guts (both of which were super cheap) over Yell and Fury. It's basically your standard Super Pilot, Real Robot thing but unlike someone like Gai from Nadesico Guren is actually good and works with Kallen's spirit set.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Elle and Roux usually have stats on par with Four, the Purus and old type gundam main characters like Kou. They don't hold up compared to Amuro or Judau but they're definitely a lot better than the Fas and Katzs of the games.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Both Carriers in J are super good. Like, the Nadesico is probably a top 5 unit if you upgrade its EN and Weapons and the Archangel is still better than most Reals if you give it a barrier part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Z3.2 had a couple of early maps with level 75 optional bosses. If you could feed 2 or so of them to the same unit with Cheer you could break the power curve of the midgame pretty significantly with access to early Valor. It was cool.

• Locked thread