Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I dug up my copy of G Generation Overworld that I bought while I was in Japan and never played. Now I'm interested since I've been wanting to play something like SRW but with less reading involved.

The question I have is: how hard is Overworld? I plan on doing some fairly silly things with my team composition, and I'm worried about whether I'll actually be able to get anywhere or not if I don't pick the 'right' characters.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is can I beat this game with anyone?

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Awesome. Time to unleash my concept for Kira & Lacus's Space Orphanage for Gundam Kids.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hmm. Well I think I need some good, easy to develop or capture units with funnels in Generation Overworld. Turns out all the kids on my girls team (led by Shakti) have crappy stats across the board except for the one that controls funnel weapon accuracy and damage, which is bizarrely high.

The boys team is fine because it's made up of the leads from AGE, V, Crossbone, etc. I'm sensing some gender politics here.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Generation Overworld is great and I highly recommend it. I love how each level has you balance risk/reward as you decide whether to trigger each Generation Break to try to get new units and more cash. Then for the final step you get to decide whether you feel like taking on all the guest ace characters in the level for a chance at nabbing their mech with the Core Impact system. Sure you can get a Strike Gundam in the first level, but you have to shoot down the Archangel, Gundam Age and Amuro in his Gundam to get it. It's a perfect gamble system that lets you push yourself to get big rewards.

I'd say if you can read enough Japanese to navigate the menu and understand the stage requirements you should be able to play it just fine. The plot is barebones and the dialogue is sparse. I'm really having fun with it. Finally got Ple and Ple2 which helped make my girl team more doable, though Shakti and the sister from ZZ did just fine shooting down Amuro (with Kira's help, of course.) Now Shakti's on her way to getting an Akatsuki so I can actually use her crazy funnel stat.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I just started Z2 and immediately missed the first SR point because the AI didn't suicide on me like I thought it would. Am I going to miss the true ending or whatever if I don't get these? Or should I just not worry about them if this is my first time playing?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wait how many games are there from Z2 to the end of the Z series? I forgot they kept it going on PS3/Vita. Isn't there like Z3-3?

That's going to be like reading through The Wheel of Time in Japanese with all the text between that many games. Maybe I should just play some of the stand-alone SRWs instead. I do have all the GBA and one of the DS ones.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh, so only 4 games if I'm starting at Z2. That's not quite as bad.

How long would you put each one at, assuming I only play each once and assuming I take the time to read about 80% of the text?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Caphi posted:

Personally I think Z2 feels more skippable than Z1, Z2.1 in particular. Also Z1 is a much better game in most ways.

Sadly it's not portable and portable is about the only way I can play a SRW game. I'm currently reading the LP though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
What's wrong with L and K? W seems to top all the 'best SRW games' lists in Japan but they seem to hate L and K. I was sort of looking forward to K as a Fafner fan.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I think I'll make W the first SRW I play through having actually seen all the related anime. I'm only missing Detonator Something, Tekkaman Blade and the older stuff (Getter, Mazinkaizer, Goleon). Oh and GaoGaiGar. And Astray.

Well yeah still a few but compared to the other SRW games I've seen a much higher percentage of Ws series.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How are the non-Alpha PS1 SRWs? I'm thinking about grabbing them off PSN. It looks like most of them are remakes, aside from Shin?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can't skip the attack animations? Maybe I'll just play Alpha again instead.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The best part is all 3 of the complete box games are being sold separately on PSN for about twice as much as any other PS1 game on the store (about the same as all the FFs, I believe). I'm pretty sure you can get a physical copy for basically nothing in any used game store in Japan, and that would come with all 3.

I really wish the had Alpha 2 and 3 on PSN. I also wish I hadn't sold my copies before moving back to the states.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So is V better than the Z2/3 series? They're all available on PSN but they're both significant investments so I figure I'm only going to get one or the other at this point.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I'm excited about V though I'll probably wait a bit to pick it up because $75+ is a little steep at the moment

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey wasn't that one SRW spinoff with Ultraman and Kamen Rider also on the Vita? How was that one? I loved Lost Heroes so it'd be cool having that same combination in an SRW-like

Edit: Oh hey and it's going for dirt cheap too.

Edit2: As is Pride of Justice ($11 for the import!) but apparently that one sucks (?)

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 6, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

The difficulty was tuned higher than usual and there were EXP/Gold (and maybe items) farming DLC, which threw some suspicion on attempts of trying to scam money from players.

Though to be fair, it's "more difficult than usual by SRW standards" and not really "Thracia 776 and Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3" - I guess it's just that SRW really doesn't explain the implications of its systems very well so they generally decide to cover this by tuning most games really really easy.

I'm just mostly really ambivalent about Masou Kishin's system overall so the difficulty wouldn't really be a con factor for me in that regards.

So would you say it's worth trying for $12? Or just a waste of time. I'm just trying to find some SRW stuff to play on my Vita that won't break the bank.

Super Hero Generation looks good so I'll probably pick it up too. I've been meaning to watch some Ultraman anyway and it'll be a good excuse.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

I think I would say its value depends more on how much you like the Masou Kishin setting and characters rather than the gameplay value. For 12 bucks I guess it can't hurt to try it out.

I really only know them from Alpha, so I'd probably need to look up some kind of crash course in the story before diving in to part 3 but I'm definitely going to pick it up because I like fantasy mecha stories like Escaflowne and Magic Knight Rayearth.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I liked Alpha.

Of course that's the only one I've played through completely. Though I also like the OG series since t doesn't require as much old mecha show knowledge.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I really wish a2 and 3 were more accessible than importing them and playing them on a PS2.
Maybe we could get 4 SRW LPers together and have them do a big collaboration covering all 4 routes for both games.
...and while I'm dreaming I'd also like them released in English on Steam.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alpha 2 introduced me to In My Dream which is now my favorite mecha theme of all time despite never having watched Brain Powered. The J version is better than a2s but they're both awesome. I'd put up a link but I'm at work.

Also In My Dream is far and away the most overtly sexual anime song I've ever heard.
My runners-up are various incarnations of Last Impression and AI Senshi from A.

Edit: runners up for favorite SRW songs, not anime songs with sexual themes, that is.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
If someone LPed that it would need to be the guy who LPed the VNs and he would need to rename all of the attacks to be breakfast cereals.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I'm glad more SRW style doujin games are coming out but I wish they were for franchises I cared about

What I'm saying is I want Battle Moon Wars 2

Actually I finally looked this up to see if they had put any of the cool spinoffs like Strange Fake or Apocrypha in there and you appear to be a bit behind the times since they're already done through Battle Moon Wars 4.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Crap SRW V is on sale on Amazon.co.jp right now for about $50 instead of $80! They got rid of the 'can't ship games overseas' rule right? Can I just buy it straight from them?

Edit: poo poo, no dice. However, a game they will ship to the US that's also on sale is the new G-Generation game. And it's even cheaper. Hmm.

Edit2: Dammit that won't work either. Forget it. I'll just get them off Play-Asia or something.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 9, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The Japan stuff I read said it's pretty easy so go nuts. I just want to say that's one hell of an eclectic cast.

Edit: Though, to be fair, the Japanese reviews tend to go: No one knows why the hell they picked these shows and it's hard to call these girls 'super heroines' but drat if the writers didn't nail the crossovers and get even the Z-listers to shine.
I wasn't interested in this game at all but now I am, after reading the reviews. I'm a sucker for a well-written crossover.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 12, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Double posting to whine about not being able to save during pre/post mission talking bits. I dusted off my PS2 to play some OGs instead of spending the money to import any of the Vita stuff and was immediately reminded of why these games demand a portable system. I've got to go to work SRW, please stop talking.

Do any of the recent games fix this or have they still not realized that hour-long talking scenes you can't save and quit during are a bad idea?

Edit: okay hour-long is hyperbole but cut me some slack I can't speed read Japanese

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My co-worker just offered to pick me up some cheap games when he goes over to Tokyo next week so I'm having him grab me the PS2 SRWs I'm missing. Finally I can play the rest of the Alphas.

I'm also having him grab Pride of Justice and Super Hero Generation so I can have my Vita fix as well. Super Heroine Chronicles was on the list too but it ended up losing its spot to SHG. Sorry girls, I'd rather have more Ultraman in my life.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I think he's talking about actually taking the time to parse the dialogue because he has enough of an understanding to read but not enough to do it quickly at a glance. In which case being able to save mid-intermission instead of having to leave your console on when you go to work would be nice.

Yeah, it's annoying.

Also holy cow Ryusei's route on OG1 is weird. I'm about 8 missions in and everyone's still in generic starter mechs that I'm afraid to waste money upgrading. Also this mission is a dick. 'Defend this single spot from a bunch of jets and dudes that can move much farther than you can! Oh hey you appear to have defeated a bunch of them, have 2x as many more! Haha have fun!'

... wait can I just stick someone on top of the target point?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wait so I'm actually supposed to spend money on these things?

Edit: I keep waiting for them to roll out my actual mechs.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Here's a hint: don't upgrade the mechs, upgrade transferable weapons. A decently upgraded M95 Machine Gun can last you the whole game.

Ah-ha. That does sound super useful. Thanks!

My favorite thing about everyone being in reals is only like 1/3rd of them right now have Focus.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh definitely. Latooni, being one of the proud few Focus-havers, is a frontline fighter with her upgraded missiles.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How useful is the pair up system in OG?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Considering how many times Nadesico has been in, I'd love to see Stellvia in it except I think everyone in Japan including the director has forgotten that show existed.

But seriously it has some great SRW-level universal threats in its plot.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Turns out all my OG talk is moot because I'm getting @2 & 3 sometime this week. I've heard Kusuha is (sort of) the 'canon' route across all 3 games which is good because she was who I used in @1. Well, actually I used Ryo-something but whatever at least she was sort of in the 'right' robot eventually.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of SD GGG how is it? Japanese sources say it's maybe a bit too focused on the One Year War stuff which doesn't really interest me. I really liked Overworld and making invincible armies using weak noncombatant characters, so I was kind of hoping for more of that.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay, sounds like I should skip it. Too bad the next one is probably not going to the Vita. I hope we at least get the next SRW on it but even that might be asking too much.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

iunno but if they ever make a super magical girl wars midorikawa was the villain of the black rose arc of utena

Recently I was digging around in old Japanese PS games and I found an attempt to make a magical girl SRW-like.

The results were not pretty: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8rDv328rKEE

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
All this FMW talk reminded me that I need to read the LPs. I started reading the first one and I'm not sure why I stopped. That LP made me like the Touhou franchise like the actual games never did.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I've been reading some of the Pokemon fangame LP threads where folks just use RPGmaker with a Pokemon code pack and it got me thinking how it would be to make an SRW-based one.

The battle sprites could be ripped from the many GBA SRWs, the Pokeballs would be Gachapons, instead of gym leaders you'd have series-themed cities where you face off against the main villain who is working a miniature version of their evil plan, and when you beat them the hero rewards you with the Gacha containing their signature robot.

Also the robots would only have 2 types (Real and Super) but all the weapons would have types (Beam, Melee, etc) that the two robot types could have different strengths and weaknesses to.

Anyway just a fun fan idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'd whine about spoilers since I'm only halfway through IBO but honestly it's not really a surprise at all it would end that way.

• Locked thread