Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Doc Quantum posted:

If you don't mind answering questions off the stream, I was just wondering about the comment made by the Aeon Genesis guy in his update about the state of the SRW Alpha and 4 translations about the "poor writing". Did he mean problems with the text of the translation, or were there issues with the original text as written instead?

It's the former. Long story short, many years ago there was a guy who was speed-translating any SRW scripts people gave him. Gideon and many others among us naively believed that this would be a solution to the problem of volume. Surely even if this ESL speaker's work was a little rough around the edges, all it needed was some polish from a competent editor, which would be easier to get than a competent translator handling 1 million+ characters worth of text.

Oh, how wrong we were.

The guy's work was half unusable, half completely made up. J also used this guy's work ostensibly, but the editor in charge of J ended up retranslating and overhauling huge chunks of it on his own time, so that by the time the patch came out, it was basically the editor's work instead. Gid held onto hope that the Alpha text could still be salvaged, but many editors have come and gone in the interim, with only one guy sticking around and plinking at it in his free time. This is the albatross that has hung over the Alpha project's neck for so many years. I would not hold your breath for that to have breakthroughs any time soon.

I am not saying any of this to invite people to rag on projects or those involved in them, by the way. I haven't seen the person who did those translations in years, and Gid's got plenty on his plate as it is—not to mention the fact that he's already put out 7 SRW or SRW-peripheral game translation patches this year alone. 2018 has shaped up to be ridiculous in that regard, really. Just keep in mind that sometimes projects go poorly despite all of people's hopes and passions and best intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It almost sounds like you used that guy you made those SRW translations on Gamefaqs. You know the one who insists Zeon is actually spelled Jiron?

Caphi posted:

As far as I know, Mneids is fundamentally competent at Japanese. He just has no concept of polish or cross-checking.

Pretty much this. His fundamental grasp of the language is definitely extant. I assure you that he does not conjure up 1MB+ sized story guides out of whole cloth. No, the guy I'm talking about is someone else and there's no real point in naming names.

I got my start in SRW reading Mark Neidengard's guides and I respect his work for what it is. The guy's got passion and dedication, and I appreciate that. (Also his 5-turns-or-less stage clearing tips for Impact are a godsend)

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 4, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
By the way, for anybody who thinks "Surely the Alpha writing from that person can't be that bad," here's a sample of his writing from an old discarded SRW F project.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I would love another OG on the scale of OG1. I've been thinking a lot about this, and in my view, OG1 was the strongest in terms of cohesion and general themes. I also have mixed feelings on the way the games showcase Gespensts in general, as part of this.

OG1's Divine Wars story effectively demonstrated through its robot roster a story of a world government in crisis because its emphasis on conventional ground forces and jets with only a tiny handful of ground PTs (due to politics) left it caught flat-footed when the Divine Crusaders rose up with flying AMs. Between that and the revolt of the Federation's entire military presence in space, you had heroes caught on a losing side and struggling. The only reason they won was because they were supposed to win, and even the protagonists felt ultimately empty and unsatisfied with the result because of how contrived and forced the whole scenario was. The nature of it all was not lost on them.

A lot of the strength of this narrative comes from the limited cast size and robot roster. There were two separate handfuls of troops centered around two boats, and all of those characters, not just a few, had ample time to shine and plenty of characterization built up over many stages.

Then OG2 happened, and they started having lots of things going on and introduced a ton of alien tech, parallel universe stuff, and magical ancient superweapons. All of this stayed in, or got let go for a while and brought back in later (Mekibos, who deserves his own contextual entry). OGG introduced a lot of stuff and let go of nearly all of it at the end, and people still complain about missing the Shura (who, to be fair, are good). At the same time, they did not let go of ALL of it, and the Tsentr Project and Jetzt stuff carried on into OG II, where they introduced even more things that were supposed to be a grand culmination of lots of plots, like Ing. But then they didn't let go of much of it in Moon Dwellers.

OG's ultimate failing as a larger series is its chronic refusal to let anything go once it's there, or to put it another way, its ultimate inability to let anything go without alienating some part of its fanbase. The sixth OG game will have five games' worth of baggage, plus two more if you count Endless Frontier. Policenaut hits the nail on the head when he talks about constantly tripping over terms and references to previous properties. That, and it's just harder to give people lots of characterization the larger your cast size is—Some people won't get screentime, and even for those that do, you have 8 or 9 people participating in every mess hall conversation or briefing, turning it into a giant muddled mess that's hard to follow. In a word, it's cluttered.

Paradoxically, Gespensts have gotten better for the same reason that the games have gotten more clunky. In OG1, Gespensts were "the thing that you're stuck with", a chore to use with few decent options unless you felt like upgrading your third M950 machine gun. In OG2, they were "the holdover from OG1 that only gets used because the MP Huckebein Mk. II is even worse". They were saved from being bottom of the barrel only by virtue of the MP Huckebein Mk. II existing. But OG Gaiden started this upward trend of making Gespenst variants with equippable module kits with rad as hell attacks, and OG II and Moon Dwellers continued the trend with silly additions like the Gespenst Haken. The more extra bullshit that gets tagged on, the more fun they are to use, and the more I look forward to getting one to play around with.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 7, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

e: I mean, if they want to make a game where you can just throw Aussenseiter at stuff and watch the pretty colors, they can, but they don't have to go to all the trouble to also write a Federation that gasses an asteroid colony and not give Ratsel any lines about it, is what I'm saying

I'm with you on this. There's a lot of stuff that could and should be done with characters but can't because the roster is so bloated that if you started doing that, the logical consequences would lead you to a far messier and more complicated place than you can afford as a game maker on a deadline.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's not necessarily a matter of recasting. They wrote Garnet and Giada out as retiring from military life to start a family and have kids. I could see them doing something similar with Excellen, especially considering that it's a topic she's broached before. I think if they wrote her out at all, it would be in a an uplifting and respectful way.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

on the other hand there's a pretty big difference between excellent and garnet and giada. excellen's been one of the main characters for the entire franchise, i wouldn't want her written out with just 'and then she went home forever'

Oh yeah absolutely. I wouldn't want or expect her to be written off summarily. I could envision a mini-story or even a manga thing that summarizes it. Sort of a farewell chapter, like what they did for Sumire in Sakura Wars when Michie Tomizawa retired (in her case, they made a whole OVA, but that's likely not in the cards here).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Have they actually recast anyone in an SRW game outside of characters who never appeared before the death of their original VA?

I believe they recast Duke Freed in Super Robot Wars Z1 after using the original VA for previous games like Impact.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Since there's a stream 18 hours from now (6 AM CST my time), I'm gonna make a discord call for people to hang out in closer to time. If you want in, feel free to join my little SA-centric SRW discord HERE and hit me up (dramata).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tae posted:

Macross is the geno of leaked lists.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you want Southeast Asian English DLC you'll probably need to set up a Singapore account if it's anything like how PSN works. I'll futz with my Switch and see if I can get a Singapore-region account working there this weekend.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if SRW will ever go to having just one kind of save game? for the entire history of the series, every time I have started up the game I've briefly wondered whether to push "load" or "continue". for recent games it automatically puts the cursor over the last type of save you made, but still...

If mid-battle saves overwrote intermission saves, it would be Bad. The moment you make a mistake and quick-save before realizing it, your full skill point run is toast.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryza posted:

An image of Ibis looking at you with her :smuggo: face looms above your head as you stare at your missing skill point.

:argh:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Are we going to come up with an SRW T thread title that tops Keith Courage in Alpha Numbers?

I'll start us off.

Super Robot Wars T: See You, Space Pirate

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 22, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nearly 250 pages is a good run for a thread. Thank you for maintaining it for so long through so many incarnations, Samurai Sanders!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

I have consistently enjoyed listening to what you have to say, and I hope you stay around even if you don't post as often.

Echoing this, we've hung out a long time and it's always a pleasure.

If anyone wants to try their hand at a new OP they're welcome to, otherwise I'll see about typing one up when I'm home this weekend.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Brunom1 posted:

Super Robot Wars T: Cowboy BeBop at his Mobile Fighter

Edit: Super Robot Wars T: ˇFusión Final, Aprobada!

These are both gold

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Okay guys, here's my new OP draft. It's already starting to feel a little cluttered to me, but let me know if you have any suggestions before I pull the trigger on a new thread.

Welcome to the Super Robot Wars thread, your home for burning passion and giant robots beating up other giant robots! Do you have a heart filled with justice? Then this is the thread for you!

What is Super Robot Wars?

Super Robot Wars is a long-running tactical RPG series centered around just about any mecha anime you can imagine, all being thrown together into a fanfiction blender. Depending on the game, you can control robots ranging from Gundams to Valkyries to Evangelions to Voltron, and you move units around on a grid and perform attacks with Fire Emblem-style animations.

What do you mean, depending on the game?

Every SRW title has its own individual series roster with one or two dozen different anime series being featured in a given game. It's largely the interplay of different series (read: crossover fanfiction) that dictates the story and pace of a given game. For example, sometimes you get Evangelion plot overlapping with RahXephon. But Evangelion never coexists with Voltron (so far).

If these games aren't available in the US, where does that leave me?

Due to many complicated factors, licensed SRW games have never been released in the US or Europe. But in the past few years, Bandai-Namco has been on a steady trend of releasing English language versions of their SRW titles for Southeast Asia, and these games can be imported from online sellers or purchased online for direct download via the Singapore PSN Store.

What's this OG thing I sometimes see mentioned?

OG is short for Original Generation. The devs that put out SRW games sometimes branch out and make SRW titles that have nothing but original content and characters, and this series of games is called Original Generation. Oftentimes, the original characters that get created to serve as protagonists or villains for licensed SRW titles end up getting a second lease on life as characters in the OG series. This series is notable for being long-running—Five games so far plus direct tie-ins from connected games like ACE:R and Endless Frontier. So it can get kind of convoluted and baggage-heavy if you try to just jump in at the latest title, but it's a solid series with an enjoyable cast of characters and robots.

What are my English game options?

LICENSED OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars V (PS4/Vita) (Series list here!) - Featuring Space Battleship Yamato, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion movies, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSaCrx_pZYQ

Super Robot Wars X (PS4/Vita) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Nadia, and Mashin Hero Wataru, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

Super Robot Wars T (PS4/Switch, due out 2019) (Series list here!) - Featuring Cowboy Bebop, Magic Knight Rayearth, Gun X Sword, Captain Harlock, and GaoGaiGar, among others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpemgQu1c5w

LICENSED FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, Xabungle, Braiger, and Macross Plus, among others.
Super Robot Wars J (GBA) (Series list here!) - Featuring Tekkaman Blade, Nadesico, Layzner, and Mazinkaiser, among others.
Super Robot Wars Advance Portable (PSP) (Series list here!) - Featuring Dragonar, Daimos, and G Gundam, among others.
Super Robot Wars (GB) (Series list here!) - The original game for Game Boy, featuring Gundam, Mazinger Z, and Getter Robo.
Super Robot Wars 2 (NES) (Series list here!) - The sequel to the Game Boy original, featuring UFO Robo Grendizer.
Super Robot Wars 3 (SNES) (Series list here!) - The third installment in the original story, featuring Daitarn 3, Raideen, Gundam 0083, and Combattler V.

ORIGINAL-ONLY OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Moon Dwellers (PS4/PS3) - The fifth entry in the long-running OG series. Word of warning, the translation is rough around the edges, to put it kindly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFYueSOCuE
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (GBA) - The first OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 (GBA) - The second OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.

ORIGINAL-ONLY FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords, AKA Masoukishin (SNES) - An SNES fantasy strategy RPG featuring all-original robots called Elementals and Elemental Lords.

What's the best game for a beginner to start with?

It really depends on your taste in mecha anime, and that's why the series list is so front-and-center in each of the listings above. What series do you like or remember fondly? If you love Robotech, you can find Macross and Macross Plus in Alpha Gaiden. If you're more of an Evangelion person, then V is definitely the game for you. And the upcoming T is going to have all kinds of peak 90s anime entries that people have been clamoring for, like Magic Knight Rayearth and the return of GaoGaiGar. The point is, read the series list for each game and decide which one speaks to you personally. And don't be intimidated by there being a bunch of shows you don't know. None of us knows every single entry in a game, and discovering shows you haven't seen through the game is half the fun!

How do I actually get the games?

For official releases, you can purchase physical copies at import retailers like Nippon-Yasan or Play-Asia. EMS shipping is recommended for overseas sellers like these; It's expensive, but your alternative is letting it get shipped for 3+ weeks by boat.

If you don't care about owning physical media, the newer PS4 entries can be purchased on the Singapore PSN store. To do this, first you set up a PSN account based in Singapore, then you go back to one of the above-mentioned online retailers and purchase a Singapore-based PSN Store money card code. This will allow you to buy things on the Singapore PSN Store and download them directly to your PS4, no region controls necessary.

For Vita users, it's a bit more restrictive. The Vita is hard-locked to the account that you set it up with, and the only way to change that account (and thus, your region) is to factory reset your Vita. Not recommended unless you're ready to give up your current games/saves and permanently embrace your Vita being tied to a Singapore account.

Switch online purchasing tutorial forthcoming.

I can read Japanese and I don't want to be restricted to English options. What's the WHOLE spectrum of games?

You can find a full list of SRW titles HERE, and each game links to an associated series list. It's a lot of stuff!

This game is complicated and I barely know who anyone is. When is a question too stupid to ask in this thread?

Never! Please ask anything you want, no matter how basic it seems. We all started out somewhere, and you'll find a lot of chill people here who are more than happy to break things down for newcomers.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Looks pretty good so far.

The only thing I might add is an addendum about games like UX or L that aren't officially translated or patched but have LP's.

Ooh, good call. I'll add that later!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

For the licensed games with official English translations it might not be a bad idea to include full series lists for them

I felt like that would make the OP way too long. That's why the compromise is the linked series list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
New thread HERE!

• Locked thread