Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i can't wait to stream whatever stages bandai namco have deemed acceptable to be shared to my friends from the super robot wars thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Generally:

Continuous Action (extra action on enemy kill) which makes several SR points much easier and is overall a good skill.
The Maximum Break skill on whoever you want to use as your boss killer assuming they are not someone who has it already.
Break Morale Limit.
Attack Again if someone has a high skill.
Just pump it into their relevant damage stat for hilarious gains.
Support Attack on anyone who doesn't have it.

agreed that attack stats are a good and cool PP dump, once you get someone completely absurd like Calvina to ~300 ranged you even get two for the price of one by dumping someone like Sally in her squad and casting union.

however, honorable mention goes to getting a shitload of SP Up on literally everyone in the endgame because having a lot of SP to play with means you can be even more fast and loose on stages like 42 where you have to chew through millions of HP of relatively unthreatening units. why settle for clearing the map in 15 turns when you can manage it in 2? :v:

Luceid fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 9, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Any tips on the master point on chapter 18?

Also what's the deal with pilot/mech abilities. Is it like monster hunter where they don't do anything until you hit a threshold?

Correct, abilities don't activate until you stack 3 together.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only watched this anime after finishing Alpha 1, so it makes me wonder, did I come to like the anime so much because it's favored in SRW, or is it favored in SRW for the same reasons that I like it so much?

I watched Gunbuster long before playing any SRW titles and I'm feeling it's the latter. It really is just a very good series with a lot of love and charm.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Also Calvina? Kind of broken as poo poo:

calvina buddies high five, but gently caress you bamco for disabling all sharing on ps4 jesus christ

and to think, i was sure we wouldn't get anything as busted as Z3's action economy and the Wing Zero in this game!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

the granteed's upgrade is definitely not a poo poo unit, though i don't like it personally at all! it has a strong barrier and armor in a game where supers with barriers are completely untouchable until the last stage or two, and having post-movement poo poo locked behind morale isn't too much of an issue for me because we had ratsel and deathpenis repeatedly casting wizard magic spells on turn 1 until the entire army's morale was at 130.

i mean i'm all for using whoever you want in these games but i like having overwhelming range and MAP power cheese so for me that unit was consigned to the bench from the get-go :v:

edit: also yes, poor josh didn't get up to much in our playthrough but rim made for a really great partner for sanger with her innate hit and away and the two of them having good, strong all-attacks. it wasn't a terribly unique pairing by any means, just a solid all-sweeper squad with the ability to tag in sanger to the front when it came time to start piling in on bosses.

Luceid fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 14, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Ethiser posted:

Arriere also has a case of the plot cancer. At the start of the game it is mentioned that she is hibernating to extend her life while they look for a cure.

I'm positive one of the conversations I sped past at the end of the game indicated that obviously she isn't going to kick the bucket because the egghead scientists in SRW who never have bad ideas that turn out badly were using physical data from Aschen to figure out a way to fix her anime cancer, which could be extended to Glacies as well? Or something????

But by that point I was kind of bleary so maybe I totally misread what was going on :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Ryoga posted:

Don't worry, if this is a standard srw game those last few stages will feel like 30% of the game.

there's a reason i always advocate finding the strongest MAP attack in your army and maxing out that person's upgrades and relevant damage stat :smugdog:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

I just aced Arado and Seolla in MD and both of their aces require being in the same Twin to work which makes them actually pretty not-good aces because they are mondo suboptimal when twinned together.

I'm legitimately a little bummed out when there's yet another game where Arado and Seolla, child prodigy super-soldier types, are pretty much forgettable and a chore to use. I like those two, why you gotta make me work so hard to make them feel good, game?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If not for SR points he could probably do it too!

Him and Calvina in the same twin will handle entire armies, yep. Truth in advertising!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

I haven't played MD yet, what makes Calvina so good? The Bel-whatever was pretty bad in J but a lot of that was because the AI targeting priorities made Reals really bad in that game. Does she gave a post move or giant area MAP attack or something?

The Bellzelute upgrade has a lot of good moves and a strong MAP attack, which you can spam like crazy with extra turns by the time you get it with all of the support SCs flying around. It's just really easy to start smacking things in a big cone for upwards of 25-30k and doing it again, and again, and again, until the map is over.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why the gently caress is the pointless and boring GC final boss of all things immune to Trombe override :mad:

it was a masterful creation of the most mildly dislikable kind of final boss in the entire game and for that, i salute him

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm the worst. :negative:

you are playing this game as god intended

Senerio posted:

Is Latooni still the best? What's the best mech for her, if so?

as mentioned, latooni is not quite the best since calvina now exists but either keep her in the fairlion or do what i did and chuck her in the two-pilot grungust as a sub-pilot for kyousuke. worked insanely well and was a fun departure from the norm!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Manga Zeorymer was a tremendous disappointment after how enjoyable and strange the OVA was.

it does give the Zeorymer Face a whole new dimension of meaning, though!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

I'm not super into Cross Ange but I at least liked most of the cast and a SRW game kind of has to naturally remove most of the dumber elements of its plot because it's 99% static heads talking and so can't do fanservice, so it's probably the only series I'm that excited for in this. (I liked Yamato well enough but a single battleship isn't a lot to go on, and I don't really care about Crossbone or old super robot shows)

Yeah, Ange is the crazy from-left-field inclusion into the series I'm looking forward to the most at this point. It's good to try new things and I wish I'd come around to the notion sooner?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

i'm mildly surprised so many people want GGG back, and with more focus on it. after alpha 3 i feel like i've had enough of that series for a lifetime, but that's not to say people can't have favourites!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

The only complaint I have is 'Breast Burn' instead of Breast Fire.

I'm pretty sure that Tetsuya uses 'Breast Burn' even in Japanese because he's not quite Koji Kabuto.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

Oh, I'm not exactly a big mazinger expert, so if that's accurate then I now have 0 complaints.

ain't no big deal, it just sounded familiar from the older games and upon looking it up, yeah, ブレスト バーン it is.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Ryoga posted:

Even Japan can't get the rights to initial d music. All the new initial d stuff has replaced the euro beat with random j rock.

Man what's even the point of that show without the doofy music

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Sing?? is definitely badass and should stay that way

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30357421

FMW4: May 2017.

Oh and I think there's an actual SRW game coming out next month or something.

i was starting to wonder if FMW4 would never actually happen, but now i'm back to being extremely excited for murasa to brutally own people in the boat

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently that actually got pretty far towards actually happening, got torpedoed by Harmony Gold though

I really do not like those dudes one bit, no sir.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

RoyalScion posted:

Definitely feel like Supers come out ahead since a lot of enemy units are pretty accurate and dodgy, so a lot of the time you have to use spirits; in that case why not save a defensive spirit and just facetank with armor + prevail.

I think there are more powerful Supers in this one than Reals, but the usual suspects like the Strike Freedom are still busted beyond belief. Judau also gets Soul before some people get Valor, so he and the ZZ Gundam are good as hell too!

ImpAtom posted:

The Cross Ange world is explicitly the shittiest place in the world populated by the shittiest people and its villain is considered the shittiest person by literally every single person in the world. It's pretty impressive how all-in they are for "no, really, these people suck"

It's exhausting because the betrayals and counter-betrayals and counter-counter-counter betrayals all take place at such a breakneck pace, but I did like Hilda and Ange bonding over everything being garbage. Also Vivian is a good girl.

Luceid fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Though just a few frames of her cut-in makes me think she is holding some serious poo poo back.

Hell, that convinced me she's even cooler than she first appeared to be!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

the hosed up part of this game is that this isnt an attack

vivian and sousuke insane on-foot antics spinoff when

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

holy poo poo lmao at Setsuna F Seiei telling Tusk to gently caress off outta the way while Hilda is confessing her love to Ange. I love this game, you guys. It knows what's good.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

when the chips are down and the galaxy is in danger, i believe in the power of vivian to save us all

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe they should scale back the attack power inflation in SRW someday I dunno.

To be fair, it took a FUB to bring her to four inventory slots and a bunch of bought items to pump the base number that high, but nothing is too much for the bravest and best member of that god-forsaken island.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Is it just me, or is Part +1 the way to go for FUBs? Anything else you'd choose is directly competing against Parts, and I'm up to my eyeballs in them. All the other FUBs are things Parts provide but strictly better in every instance that I can recall.

It's not just you.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

i don't, chitose is cool

she's very cool and nice, and it owns

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Caphi posted:

I'm not the only one just packing everyone onto ships on turn 1, advancing with Accel, and then redeploying on turn 2, right?

[ASK] me about throwing everyone into the Ptolemy and flying forward 14 spaces because Sumeragi loves to paint flame decals on the side of the ship

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Super Fantasy Wars, starring Drakengard, Slayers, Berserk, Lodoss War and more!

MAP'ing everything as Lina Inverse would be the a childhood dream come true, i'm down

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It looks like the translation is legit good and fun to read and I almost want to buy the Singapore version someday to see it. I've never played a SRW game with an English translation of any kind.

It has one or two typos and hiccups in places where different editors might have been handling different parts of the script, but on the whole is as good as you see above. It's fantastic.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Cheers for translating that interview, it was very cordial and fun to read.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, quick question IRT Daitarn.
Has there ever been a more indestructible player unit in any SRW game that wasn't a flagship?

Also, not thrilled to see Cross Ange again.
Once was fine.
(Of note: I have no familiarity with the anime)

Stoked to see Mightgain back though.
Maito is my hero.

No Getter? I thought that a foundational series for SRW.

Wish they would put Gao Gai Gar into one of these so I can see what the big deal is.

Daitarn is really good but I don't think it sits on another tier to the other good, strong, tanky units that SRW has loads of. And if you want GGG content, go play Alpha 3. By the halfway mark you will either be satisfied, or sick of it and never want to see it again :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

The GIG posted:

*banging my cutlery on the table* Fro! Zen! Tear! Drop! Fro! Zen! Tear! Drop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Rayearth being in this makes me extremely happy and if we had also gotten Sakura Taisen it would have been the ultimate cherry on top. Good series list!

• Locked thread