Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
10 HP | 18 AC

Marcos instinctively recoils from the box as he opens it. He sighs a sigh of relief as he finds that it contains nothing more dangerous than some jewelry. I'll take the box. We can divvy the spoils later, once we all make it out of this house. Now...I think there's only one room place left unsearched. Shall we go to the attic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dan Fei Son
1st Level Monk
9/9 HP

"The sooner we can finish exploring this place, the sooner we can get a handle on things. I suppose Red will lead the way again?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 1

My eyes watch as he stows away the box, and then snap back upwards.

"Um, yeah, that's fine with me. Unless anyone else wants to search the balcony, cause...I don't."

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

Moira clicked her tongue.

"Better to be wrong than right," she said. Moira walked over and pulled the bolt out of the wall.

At least I didn't bet anything this time.

"To the attic, then!" she thrusted her arm forward, pointing in the direction she thought the attic was.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 17, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

2nd Floor -> Attic

The group finishes their search of the master room, then make their way up the stairs in the hidden room. The stairs lead to an attic, climbing the stairs it turns and goes up more steps leading to a closed door.

Okay you made it through the secret room and into the attic. You are all now level 2.

Map

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

16. ATTIC HALL

This bare hall is choked with dust and cobwebs. A window is straight across from the door Moira opened, nearby is a padlocked door, and further around the corner are three more doors going in different directions.

Map

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Red

Red takes initiative. "We're going here. I've had just about enough of this place, and I'm going to follow my nose to the end of it."

She picks the door leading south at the end of the hall, throws it open, then readies her axe in both hands.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

16. ATTIC HALL

Red heads to the door to the west and opens it.

18. STORAGE ROOM

This dusty chamber is packed with old furniture (chairs, coat racks, standing mirrors, dress mannequins, and the like), all draped in dusty white sheets.

Map

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

18. STORAGE ROOM

Red and Moira search the room. Near an iron stove, underneath one of the sheets, is an unlocked wooden trunk containing the skeletal remains of the family's nursemaid, wrapped in a tattered bedsheet stained with dry blood. Moira inspects the remains, succeeding on a DC 14 Wisdom (Medicine) check and can verify that the woman was stabbed to death by multiple knife wounds.

Red searches the walls and one gives way to a secret spiral staircase leading down.

Moira then goes to the room across the way and opens the door.

19. SPARE BEDROOM

This web-filled room contains a slender bed, a nightstand, a rocking chair, an empty wardrobe, and a small iron stove.

Map

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

20. CHILDREN'S ROOM

The iron key is placed in the iron padlock, and the lock pops open. The door is opened and inside...

This room contains a bricked-up window flanked by two dusty, wood-framed beds sized for children. Closer to the door is a toy chest with windmills painted on its sides and a dollhouse that's a perfect replica of the dreary edifice in which you stand. These furnishings are draped in cobwebs. Lying in the middle of the floor are two small skeletons wearing tattered but familiar clothing. The smaller of the two cradles a stuffed doll that you also recognize.

Map

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

Attic

Before actually inspecting the children's room Moira heads the other way and opens the last door.

17. SPARE BEDROOM

This dust-choked room contains a slender bed, a nightstand, a small iron stove, a writing desk with a stool, an empty wardrobe, and a rocking chair. A smiling doll in a lacy yellow dress sits in the northern window box, cobwebs draping it like a wedding veil.

Map

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Red

"You can explore if you want. I found the way forward, I'm staying right here. Don't complain at me if you get grabbed by a ghost or something."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dan Fei Son

"I would prefer to move on. I'd rather not risk being killed by another broom."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 17/17 | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 1

I had seen a lot on the streets of Neverwinter, but none of it had prepared me for what we were going through in this house. For gods' sake, Red was beaten down by a broom! And there was something...off about her when she got back up. At least she didn't seem like she was on the edge of death anymore, but still.

Religion wasn't something that I kept on my mind during my youth. Small prayers here and there, but more to comfort myself than any real expectation. Yet I found myself praying more and more as we continued to explore further in this hellish place, to any god or goddess that would listen. And to my surprise, I could almost feel something growing within me, beginning to flow.

Or in other words, I multiclassed to Cleric (Life Domain) :v:

Recovering from my stupor, I look up at the others who I was following without thinking and continue after them.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Yveth
22 HP 15 AC 100/20 bolts
Rosavalda is allowed to possess the monster hunter, who also swaddles the child in her bedsheet and ties her to her backpack. When the mist departs she will bury her properly, and perhaps put the spirit to rest.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Two Paladin
18 HP | 19 AC

Marcos's head had been in a daze since climbing the stairs. Something rang in his head; whether it was a new inner fire or a divine call, he felt more resolved to bring glory to Tyr's name. His daze drew him up the floor, where he meets the rest of the party.

(As the whole party has leveled up, I have opted to take the average roll for HP and the Defense fighting style. In addition, as a level two paladin, I have gained access to some spellcasting and the ability to smite enemies for significant damage. I have noted the spells that I will be preparing at present or a future time, at Ryuujin's discretion. Also, since I've been at work most of the day and couldn't follow what happened, Marcos kind of just zoned out as the party ascended into the attic.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

21. SECRET STAIRS

A narrow spiral staircase made of creaky wood is contained within a 5-foot-wide shaft of mortared stone that starts in the attic and descends 50 feet to the dungeon level, passing through the lower levels of the house as it makes its descent. Thick cobwebs fill the shaft and reduce visibility in the staircase to 5 feet.

The group slowly make their way down.

22. DUNGEON LEVEL ACCESS

The wooden spiral staircase from the attic ends here. A narrow tunnel stretches southward before branching east and west.

GHOSTLY CH ANTING

From the moment they arrive in the dungeon, the characters can hear an eerie, incessant chant echoing throughout.

Map

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

Moira's face twisted in rage as she felt her mind being taken from her. A flash of blood red scales. A blast of heat. A thunderous roar echoed in her head.

The world faded back into view.

The spirit, upset with her defiance, gnawed at Moira's heart with waves of deep melancholy.

"Awright ye wee bastard!" she grabbed the remaining skeleton by the eye sockets while tears streamed down her cheeks. "'If it's eternal rest ye seek I'll grant it. This house'll make fine kindlin' fer yer pyre!" She slung the remains over her pack and lashed them on with a length of rope.

A wave of dizziness sent her reeling to the wall. Her heart pounded in her chest as she placed one hand on the brick and steadied herself. Her skin prickled. Moira became acutely aware of the skeleton on her back, and the ghostly chanting coming from below.

With clenched teeth, she followed her companions down into the dark.

Once she arrived, Moira strained her ears to find the source of the wailing, but to no avail.

"That screechin's coming from all ends." She wiped her nose with the back of her hand, "I don't think we'll be huntin' the beastie by ear. Any ideas?"

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 18, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

22. DUNGEON LEVEL ACCESS

Moira, Fee, and Yveth, explore the north eastern path.

24. CULT INITIATES' QUARTERS

A wooden table and four chairs stand at the east end of this room. To the west are four alcoves containing moldy straw pallets.

Exploration continues.

25. WELL AND CULTIST QUARTERS

A 4-foot-diameter well shaft with a 3-foot-high stone lip descends 30 feet to a water-filled cistern. A wooden bucket hangs from a rope-and-pulley mechanism bolted to the crossbeams above the well.

Five side rooms once served as quarters for senior cultists. Each contains a wood-framed bed with a moldy straw mattress and a wooden chest to hold personal belongings. Each chest is secured with a rusty iron padlock.

Moira and Fee open the chests finding a number of items, then continue on.

TREASURE
In addition to some worthless personal effects, each
chest contains one or more valuable items.
25A. This room's chest contains 11 gp and 60 sp in a
pouch made of human skin.
25B. This room's chest contains three moss agates
(worth 10 gp each) in a folded piece of black cloth.
25C. This room's chest contains a black leather eyepatch
with a carnelian (worth 50 gp) sewn into it.
25D. This room's chest contains an ivory hairbrush with
silver bristles (worth 25 gp).
25E. This room's chest contains a silvered shortsword
(worth 110 gp).

27. DINING HALL

This room contains a plain wooden table flanked by long benches. Moldy humanoid bones lie strewn on the dirt floor-the remains of the cult's vile banquets. In the middle of the south wall is a darkened alcove.

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 18, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 17/17] | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0 :toot:

As we move through the quarters, I find myself put at ease as we make our way through each of the chests. It was a comforting and familiar routine. At least, up until we found the pouch made of human skin.

"Um... I don't think I want this..."

I look back at Moira, but judging from her reaction she wanted no part of it either, so I leave it there.

Took the Silvered Shortsword, hairbrush, and eyepatch. Also Ryuujin ruled we got a long rest when we levelled, fyi to anyone for whom that matters (Marcos)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

27. DINING HALL

Moira spots a grick hiding in the darkened alcove, and avoids it, she and Fee turn to the east and begin to head back up the hallway Red and Dan Fei were standing in.

23. FAMILY CRYPTS
Several crypts have been hewn from the earth. Each
crypt is sealed with a stone slab unless noted otherwise.

23C. GUSTAV'S CRYPT
The stone slab is etched with the name Gustav Durst.

23D. ELISABETH'S CRYPT
The stone slab is etched with the name Elisabeth Durst.

23E. ROSE'S CRYPT
The stone slab is etched with the name Rosavalda Durst.

23F. THORN'S CRYPT
The stone slab is etched with the name Thornboldt Durst.

Moira hands Fee a crowbar and the newly religious thief manages to pry the door open on Thorn's crypt.

The chamber beyond contains an empty coffin on a stone bier.

With Yveth's help they proceed to do the same with Rose's crypt.

Rose and Thorn are no longer possessing Yveth and Moira.

Continuing on.

23A. EMPTY CRYPT
The blank stone slab meant to seal this crypt leans against a nearby wall. The crypt is empty.

23B. WALTER'S CRYPT
The stone slab meant to seal this crypt leans against a nearby wall. Etched into it is the name Walter Durst. The crypt is empty.

Everyone in the party gains Inspiration for laying the children's ghosts to rest. Inspiration can be spent to get advantage one on d20 roll. You can only ever have one Inspiration at a time.

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 18, 2016

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level 2 Paladin
20 HP | 19 AC

The stench of decay hung in the air, searing Marcos's nostrils. He had been thinking, thinking about the death and decay and the vile rituals that ate away at the core of this mansion. This mansion, where he had seen a new friend die and be reborn, where two more became who they were not. He wrinkled his nose, trying to force it out, but it hung deep in his throat, in his chest, his gut. He thought nothing good would come of this horrid dank place, but he smiled when he saw Fee and Moira return the children to their resting places. There may be hope-a light at the end of the tunnel. He hoped that the rest of the party had not noticed how quiet he had been. Thinking took a lot out of him, but something about this place made him reflect on his life, his deeds.

There can't me much more to this place. Let's move. I'll take point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dan Fei Son
HP 9
AC 15

Dan Fei Son is unperturbed by the dungeon as she keeps close to the rest of the party.

"Now now, this is interesting."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

27. DINING HALL

Continuing on Marcos finds a four way branching path, but as he steps in to get a better look at the options four ghouls pop up looking hungry.

29. GHOULISH ENCOUNTER

The ghostly chanting heard throughout the dungeon is noticeably louder to the north. When one or more characters reach the midpoint of the four-way tunnel intersection, four ghouls (former cultists) rise up out of the ground in the spaces marked X on the map and attack. The ghouls fight until destroyed.

Initiative

Everyone but Marcos and Moira :rolldice:
Ghouls
Moira and Marcos

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level 2 Paladin
20 HP | 19 AC

You will have peace now. Fellows, to arms! Marcos rallies a war cry, but draws his sword late. His companions will fight, but the ghouls get the initiative.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

29. GHOULISH ENCOUNTER

The ghouls are eventually put down, with only minor injures on the party's side, Dan Fei was briefly paralyzed. But the enemy is put down, and Marcos senses that Red is undead.

33. CULT LEADERS' DEN

A chandelier is suspended above a table in the middle of the room. Two high-backed chairs flank the table, which has an empty clay jug and two clay flagons atop it. Iron candlesticks stand in two corners, their candles long since melted away.

34. CULT LEADERS' QUARTERS

This room contains a large wood-framed bed with a rotted feather mattress, a wardrobe containing several old robes, a pair of iron candlesticks, and an open crate containing thirty torches and a leather sack with fifteen candles inside it. At the foot of the bed is an unlocked wooden footlocker containing some gear and magic items (see "Treasure" below).

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 20, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 17/17] | AC: 14 | 14/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Coughing violently as the reeking corpse bursts out from the wall, a silver flame erupts from my hands as I dart to the corner of the quarters. Her claws rake across my back, but I make it there safely otherwise.

"C, careful everyone! I, I think I can heal you now like Marcos can, but don't be reckless."

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Two Paladin
17 HP | 19 AC

Ha ha! I relish destroying fiends like you! Marcos looks a crazed beast, but still has enough foresight to quickly utter a prayer to protect Red; she gains +2 AC from Shield of Faith. He swings wildly at the female corpse, cutting a wide gash from her torso. Still, she moves on to assault Dan.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

34. CULT LEADERS' QUARTERS

Elisabeth and Gustav Durst were finally finished, loot was found and Marcos and Fee went to bury Elisabeth only to be swarmed by centipedes, the two manage to take out the centipedes, and capture one in a mess kit. Then Red opens up Gustav's crypt and the group have no trouble laying him to rest.

They then take a short nap to recover.

They go to open the door in the Cult Leader's Den, but Marcos hand sticks to it, and it tries to bite him.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Two Paladin
9 HP | 19 AC

Guh?! I can't pull free! Marcos struggles but fails to free his sword arm.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

34. CULT LEADERS' DEN

A valiant struggle is made against the door but Yveth puts the door out of its misery, dropping Marcos and a bunch of weapons into a heap on the ground. With the door dead, deflating into some monstrous abomination of arms, legs, teeth, and various things, the way is open into the next hallway, and the room beyond.

Marcos moves on.

31. DARKLORD'S SHRINE

This room is festooned with moldy skeletons that hang from rusty shackles against the walls. A wide alcove in the south wall contains a painted wooden statue carved in the likeness of a gaunt, pale-faced man wearing a voluminous black cloak, his pale left hand resting on the head of a wolf that stands next to him. In his right hand, he holds a smoky-gray crystal orb.

The room has exits in the west and north walls. Chanting can be heard coming from the west.

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 21, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

31. DARKLORD'S SHRINE

Marcos touches an orb, and five shadows glide out of the walls and attack. A hard fought battle takes place, but the party is eventually successful, and retreats to the room with a bed to take a short rest.

Okay the orb is an Orb of the War Mage +1, basically like the Wand of the War Mage giving a +1 to spell attack rolls and allowing Moira to avoid half-cover with her spells, but in orb form. The orb also seems to have souls or something swirling about inside.

You have had a short rest. Are you going to search any rooms or anything before moving on?

Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 8/17] | AC: 14 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Exhausted as we take another break, I didn't feel particularly as if I had caught my breath. Something about the air in this place maybe. Looking over at Red, who had previously pressed that we moved downstairs without any further investigation, I nod to the rest of the party.

"M, maybe we should keep moving on now. T, the orb was a nice find, but let's not try our luck. Again."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Red

"...Well, if we're finally done running into death traps to sate our curiosity, I'll lead the way downstairs."

Red heads downstairs, to whatever may be down there.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

31. DARKLORD'S SHRINE

Red pushes on, leading the way to the stairs and down, making certain the party does not search anything else. As you go further down the stairs the chanting becomes louder.

35. RELIQUARY

The ghostly chant emanating from further on fills this room. You can discern a dozen or so voices saying, over and over, "He is the Ancient. He is the Land."

There are a number of niches along the walls, it looks like thirteen of them may have something in them.

Map

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

35. RELIQUARY

Red, with the help of Moira's crowbar opens up a portcullis leading to a water logged room

37. PORTCULLIS

This tunnel is blocked by a rusty iron portcullis that can be forcibly lifted with a successful DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check. Otherwise, the portcullis can be raised or lowered by turning a wooden wheel half-embedded in the east wall of area 38. (The wheel is beyond the reach of someone east of the portcullis.) The floor around the portcullis is submerged under 2 feet of murky water.

38. RITUAL CHAMBER

The cult used to perform rituals in this sunken room. The chanting heard throughout the dungeon originates here, yet when the characters arrive, the.dungeon falls silent 􀁱s the chanting mysteriously.stops.

The chanting stops as you peer into this forty-foot-square room. The smooth masonry walls provide excellent acoustics. Featureless stone pillars support the ceiling, and a breach in the west wall leads to a dark cave heaped with refuse. Murky water covers most of the floor. Stairs lead up to dry stone ledges that hug the walls. In the middle of the room, more stairs rise to form an octagonal dais that also rises above the water. Rusty chains with shackles dangle from the ceiling directly above a stone altar mounted on the dais. The altar is carved with hideous depictions of grasping ghouls and is stained with dry blood.

The water is 2 feet deep. The ledges and central dais are 5 feet high (3 feet higher than the water's surface), and the chamber's ceiling is 16 feet high (11 feet above the dais and ledges). The chains dangling from the ceiling are 8 feet long.

Map

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Red

Red considers hopping up on the dais, but waits for the inevitable. Then she spies someone turning back around to go investigate something from the previous room, sighs, crosses her arms and waits.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

35. RELIQUARY

Moira briefly backtracks to investigate the niches she finds:

• A small, mummified, yellow hand with sharp claws (a goblin's hand) on a loop of rope
• A knife carved from a human bone
• A dagger with a rat's skull set into the pommel
• An 8-inch-diameter varnished orb made from a nothic's eye
• An aspergillum carved from bone
• A folded cloak made from stitched ghoul skin
• A desiccated frog lashed to a stick (could be mistaken for a wand of polymorph)
• A bag full of bat guano
• A hag's severed finger
• A 6-inch-tall wooden figurine of a mummy, its arms crossed over its chest
• An iron pendant adorned with a devil's face
• The shrunken, shriveled head of a halfling
• A small wooden coffer containing a dire wolf's withered tongue

Meanwhile Red steps on the dais

The chanting rises once more as thirteen dark apparitions appear on the ledges overlooking the room. Each one resembles a black-robed figure holding a torch, but the torch's fire is black and seems to draw light into it. Where you'd expect to see faces are voids. "One must die!" they chant, over and over. "One must die! One must die!"

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE

38. RITUAL CHAMBER

Red sacrifices a centipede on the altar, clearly against the intent but...

The cultists fade away, but their tireless chant of “He is the Ancient. He is the Land,” echoes again in the dungeon. Strahd is aware of the sacrifice, and Death House now does nothing to hinder the characters from escaping.

Map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

As Marcos stepped from the house, he considered what had happened. He had died-died to those shadows, clawing and grasping at the light. But as he slept into an eternal sleep, something pulled him away from the glorious light-from Sonna, and his grandmother, and his brother. Something that had plans, plans dark enough that Marcos couldn't read them. It had changed him. His nose itched. It wouldn't stop itching, and he couldn't smell anything through it. He could barely stomach his rations. He felt like he had a head cold all the time, and blowing his nose did nothing to help. But they were free from the house, and its machinations. He felt resolved as he stepped into the light of this new town-Barovia...

• Locked thread