Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
franks mom talking to her therapist: yeah i just dont know... ever since he got his rear end whooped in one of his games by something called "chrysalis" - must be a bug game - he's just been.. strange. just the other day he excitedly got my attention to brag about something he was doing in his game, and when i look he's just sitting there mashing one of the buttons on the controller going on about 'powning encounters'. I dont know what to do, i just want my son back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

Should I just skip Shadowrun returns and play the others?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Five in Russia posted:

Should I just skip Shadowrun returns and play the others?
yeah the first one kind of sucks

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i liked the first one

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i didn't like the first one very much, but if dragonfall is better than i might try that.

i also already have grimrock 2 from a sale, but i need to see if my poo poo-rear end laptop can handle it. it was actually stuttering on deus ex 1...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i never played the others but i do have Dragonfall installed whenever i feel like it. I started it up last week and got my own rear end blown off in the tutorial mission lmao. I'm a lil rusty i guess

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i just realized planescape: torment might be one of my first feels games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

franks mom talking to her therapist: yeah i just dont know... ever since he got his rear end whooped in one of his games by something called "chrysalis" - must be a bug game - he's just been.. strange. just the other day he excitedly got my attention to brag about something he was doing in his game, and when i look he's just sitting there mashing one of the buttons on the controller going on about 'powning encounters'. I dont know what to do, i just want my son back

:(

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

don't play planescape torment because its all tedious videogame writing and the game part isn't very good

woa....

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bedlamdan posted:

computer role playing game :)

Okay thanks. I only play Doom.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I think Pillars of Eternity is actually better then all the Baldur Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pumprag posted:

I think Pillars of Eternity is actually better then all the Baldur Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale games.
I don't really like any of those apart from Icewind Dale. NWN has loads of great user-made modules but those don't count... I'm a huge CRPG weirdo but I guess I just don't like Infinity Engine style RTwP

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't really like any of those apart from Icewind Dale. NWN has loads of great user-made modules but those don't count... I'm a huge CRPG weirdo but I guess I just don't like Infinity Engine style RTwP

the modules count because thats the actual game

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's been three years, have there been any good player made Shadowrun campaigns yet?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah the first one kind of sucks

I cheated in the first one because some of the content was locked behind hacking and my character has no decking skill. Then I found out that the decking bits weren't really that good

I still have to play Hong Kong and Dragonfall both of which I own

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i liked the first one

Same. I picked up dragon fall and hong kong because of this thread and im excited to try them since everyone says theyre better

Dec 26, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i liked the first one

its alright. the ending sucks though and the other 2 are better

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i didn't really like Hong Kong, the changes they made to the hacking system were a real letdown. drangonfall was really good though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

suggested builds for Dragonfall? i ask because i remember wishing i put more into decking in the first game since those parts sucked rear end.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

suggested builds for Dragonfall? i ask because i remember wishing i put more into decking in the first game since those parts sucked rear end.

i stopped playing the second i got to the mandatory decking part

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've done a charisma heavy street samurai both games, you couldn't just let a decker team mate do it?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the npcs cover the big roles ok for the most part, id id a shotgun street sam and did fine. the npc decker isnt built great but you cn play the whole game with him ify ou don't want to play a decker

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

frank.club posted:

I've done a charisma heavy street samurai both games, you couldn't just let a decker team mate do it?

its extrememly unfun to play

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

frank.club posted:

That's what I ended up doing but those were still the worst parts of the game. I've read that the decking in Dragonfall is less lovely though, so we'll see.. if I ever start it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, I haven't played the very first one. Decking parts were weakest parts for me, they're still mandatory to play. But just dedicating a decker side character makes it alright

Dec 26, 2012

decking is mostly the same in dragonfall vs returns, it's different in hong kong

iirc there were more optional hacks in dragonfall than returns. blitz can do pretty much all of it though

Dec 26, 2012

for dragonfall probably don't make a rigger because riggers hit their main stride once you get 3ap, which is like right before the last area in dragonfall

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

01011001 posted:

for dragonfall probably don't make a rigger because riggers hit their main stride once you get 3ap, which is like right before the last area in dragonfall

2 ap rigger is still pretty great, you'll just always be lagging behind your team as they move up if you dedicate all your attention on the drones.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
What is decking.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's when gay dude's lay their sacks on top of each other's shafts and move back and forth.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Decker/Assault Rifle build is good if you're going for min/max. Decker/Mage also is pretty good. Decker/Rigger is okay as long as you can manage the money pretty well iirc. I haven't played in a while, but I just remember I used a hybrid Decker class for everything since people told me Dragonfall was very decking-heavy.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wormskull posted:

It's when gay dude's lay their sacks on top of each other's shafts and move back and forth.

lol

Dec 26, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

2 ap rigger is still pretty great, you'll just always be lagging behind your team as they move up if you dedicate all your attention on the drones.

it's passable but for the most part being a street sam is better

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Really, gene forge series is like 250 hours gaming if you put up with the graphics.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shadowrun returns is okay, it's just that dragonfall and Hong Kong are so much better in comparison

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

Really, gene forge series is like 250 hours gaming if you put up with the graphics.

when i posted this i was actually in the middle of nethergate: resurrection, which is by the same guy. it's what made me post this thread, lol. i've only really played avernum titles, so maybe i'll give a geneforge a go.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
you guys have convinced me on dragonfall tho, i'll probably make that my next game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Geneforge is his best stuff. Avadon sucks rear end

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Geneforge is his best stuff. Avadon sucks rear end

yeah, it's pretty lovely overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, it's pretty lovely overall.
the saddest part is he says that modern Bioware games are exactly what he would make if he had the money and Avadon is his best attempt at doing that thing, so I guess Avernum and Geneforge (and Nethergate? haven't played it) were just happy accidents

• Locked thread