Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

White Coke posted:

Yes. Although there are plenty of other equally hate-able companions, so you could put it up to a vote.

I mean, I think it kinda HAS to be Sven after last video.

In fact, such a splendid idea might be the only thing that drags me away from the main quest.

(Tragically, you can't do it until you hit level 30)

UZworm fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cabbage is delicious. Chop it up, put it in a frying pan with some butter and garlic. Add some bacon or salami if you like. Or throw it in a salad, stir-fry or stew. Cabbage is great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In response to the question of "is there 7,000 steps?," the answer is nope. There are only 748 steps. Yes, someone actually counted.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ah, but how many strides does it take for the player character?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me if the people who climbed it just lied to make it sound more impressive. But more likely it's because it's Bethesda.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does the Two-Handed Weapons perk that ignores armor not affect natural armor that enemies might have?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean you can get from Riften to Markarth in about 15 hours on foot, so either Skyrim is only about the size of Connecticut or we're meant to understand there's some scaling involved because of technical limitations. Given that the population of the grand city of Solitude is about 30, I think maybe it's the latter.

750 steps representing 7000 is actually a lot tighter a scale than Skyrim's population or land area.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
how many mods are there to actually put in 7000 steps?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can you imagine how much data it would take if Skyrim was made to scale?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Star Man posted:

Can you imagine how much data it would take if Skyrim was made to scale?

Cuz we really want 3 days of real time traveling by horse to get where we want to go :shepface:

:suicide:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

mauman posted:

Cuz we really want 3 days of real time traveling by horse to get where we want to go :shepface:

:suicide:

NoMansSky.exe

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

UZworm posted:

NoMansSky.rim

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Covok posted:

Does the Two-Handed Weapons perk that ignores armor not affect natural armor that enemies might have?
It does, but enemies don't really have natural armor for it to matter (if at all). Waste of perk points.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Skyrim's built like a theme park where main roads are flanked by attractions and their entrances every 30 meters. Making Skyrim to-scale would completely wreck that (for better or for worse).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not only that, but people are standing outside, attracting adventurers with the age-old cry of "You there! Can you help us out, there are some pretty big spiders in that cave. If you do this for us, we'll give you enough septims to buy a health potion!"

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Poil posted:

It does, but enemies don't really have natural armor for it to matter (if at all). Waste of perk points.

Wow, that's a pretty big letdown. On paper it sounded like warhammers ought to be the best damage dealer against dragons and the like, but nope! Why use your mechanics when you can just give big enemies loads of HP! Elder Scrolls! :psypop:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
To clarify , I won't be adding any more points in that perk. I only got the first step for the rare occasion it will come in handy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All right, time to air my grievances with perks. Most of the perks in this game can be described as "put 1-5 points in me for the most numbers". It's the worst, going so far as to force the player to overlook what few interesting perks there are in favor of gaining optimal damage. On the other hand, there's SPERG, my most favorite mod.

Now, you all know those perks that read something like "bows deal 20/40/60/80/100% more damage" by this point. These are the worst offenders, and SPERG does this thing where the novice perk of every skill (read: a perk that you automatically have regardless of skill rank or point investment) just makes your skill's damage or effectiveness scale with your rank in that skill. Similarly, it actually gives you perks for free at every 25th skill rank, and they're unique. Y'know, like what an Elder Scrolls does.

On top of everything else, the perks in SPERG are just better and more interesting overall. Here's a good handful:

Two-Handed

Counterattack (Master-rank automatic perk) with a two-handed weapon has a 20% chance to trigger a counterattack, making your next attack 150% faster. If it's a power attack, it costs no stamina.
Limbsplitter - Attacks with battleaxes deal 50% more critical damage. Power attacks with all weapons are 20% more likely to critically hit.
Skullcrusher - Standing power attacks with warhammers have a 30% chance to daze the target. Attacks with all weapons ignore 50% of armor.
Sunder Armor - Two-handed forward power attacks destroy the target's shield if blocked and have a 30% chance to destroy a piece of the target's armor if unblocked.

Light Armor

Strategic Retreat - When an attack brings your health below 20%, you gain a burst of speed for 10 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds.
Skirmish Tactics - Perks which affect power attacks have a lesser effect on regular attacks as well.

Alteration

Adaptation (Adept-rank automatic perk) - You gain the ability to breathe underwater. Most waterbreathing potions, spells, and enchantments give you the ability to walk on water instead.
Spell Charge - Single cast spells are 15% more effective for each second spent casting them (max 45% increase).
Magic Resistance - Blocks 30% of a spell's effects.
Chain Casting - Destruction spells charge with each spell cast. At max charge, dual casting a spell allows you to cast double damage spells at no magicka cost for 5 seconds, but afterwards the charge will reset.

Restoration

Ward Absorb - Wards recharge your magicka when hit with spells. Melee attackers that strike your ward have a 30% chance to be staggered.
Concentration - Magicka regenerates at its full rate even in combat.
Guardian - Nearby allies regenerate 6 health per second in combat. Time slows when their health drops below 10%. This can only occur once every 30 seconds.

Note that these all give you reasons to invest in the perk trees beyond wanting to be better at that particular skill. Note that they make your character better and change the way you play. Note that these perks are actually perks by virtue of the fact that they do jack poo poo at all, blowing the vanilla game's offerings out of the water.

Anyway, that's why y'all should use SPERG and why Skyrim's perks suck.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 3, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SPERG punchcat - the only way to play.

Killing dragons with your bare fists AND the ability to steal the clothes literally off of someone's back.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: UPDATE! :siren:

Episode 8 - Mr. Puffles' Bread Party

It's Mr. Puffles' party and he'll carbo-load if he wants to. (You'd eat bread too if it happened to you.) Also, Highwang still can't loving read. Also something something accordion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The word you're looking for is warhammerlock.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to recover your gear later if you leave it in the chest?

Elven armor is great value for its weight, and you can return to the embassy after the quest and murder the guards with no consequence whatsoever (maybe even before?). Just pick the lock on the gate, kill the morons outside and then head into the little guardhouse to the left of the gate (to the right if you're inside). Nobody will care. Not even the thalmor themselves once they respawn.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Poil posted:

Is it possible to recover your gear later if you leave it in the chest?

That's a good question, actually. Obviously you can enter the embassy grounds again, but I don't know if that building (or just that room in the back) becomes perma-locked requiring a key to get in again after you're finished with that mission.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Mr Puffles needs his own comic series. The adventures of the most polite & neurotic cat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I tried the whole stealthy thing but people would immediately go from commenting "Must be new around here" to trying to kill my disguised Orc (even if I was wearing stuff I stole from a previously living wizard instead of the free robes laying around).

So gently caress it, sneak only as long as it takes to get a free battle axe swing. End up dressed in a smash up of elven armor with banded iron torso by the time I leave. I only smuggled lockpicks and a Battleaxe out of paranoia for 'we'll give you your stuff back' mechanics :v:

One of the side benefits of this LP, is reminding me the Main quest exists. So I do one or two then get distracted again, like becoming Thane of 99% of Skyrim before the Embassy Party-Oh wait I'm trying a new character, send help.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can definitely stealth the whole thing. You just need to have a decent sneak skill, decent archery skill and a good bow.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Fun fact about that mission: you can definitely get through it in disguise, it just depends on your race and forethought.

The conversation between the guards at the start is meant to clue you in to the fact that of you disguise yourself as a wizard using the wizard robes, you can walk past them up to a point. Nearby you can find a set of wizard robes, but you need hooded robes (because naturally, they can see your face otherwise). You can't get hooded robes in the embassy iirc - you have to take them in with you.

Even then, if you are an Argonian or Khajit, they'll be hostile immediately (yelling, "hey, is that a tail" right before) because you're obviously not a thalmor. If you are one of the humanoid races, you can get through without hostility to the guy at the door to the solar, where you need to talk to him to get through and he realises you aren't a thalmor - then everybody turns hostile.

If you're a high elf, however, you can talk the gate guard into letting you into the solar. From there the quest continues as normal.

It's a cool thing that shows Bethesda actually put a some thought into the quest, but they mess up by having the wrong robes and the only way you can do it is by knowing how already.

Still, that quest is one of my favourite parts of the game. The writers did a really good job of making the Thalmor really hateable characters, so when you get an opportunity to go all Bruce Willis on them it's really satisfying.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If Bethesda games are badly made games, then why do we play them?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Poor Malboro Man. He pretty much always dies on your first try at this because you have no idea that the guards will spawn in while you're loving around in the cells. If you're on the ball you can get back up the stairs in time and the whack the guards to save him. Bows usually don't work cause the guards will just stab him before you can kill them. Keeping him alive enables a small follow-up quest where you help him to leave skyrim cause the thalmor now want his rear end dead

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MinistryofLard posted:

Fun fact about that mission: you can definitely get through it in disguise, it just depends on your race and forethought.

The conversation between the guards at the start is meant to clue you in to the fact that of you disguise yourself as a wizard using the wizard robes, you can walk past them up to a point. Nearby you can find a set of wizard robes, but you need hooded robes (because naturally, they can see your face otherwise). You can't get hooded robes in the embassy iirc - you have to take them in with you.

Even then, if you are an Argonian or Khajit, they'll be hostile immediately (yelling, "hey, is that a tail" right before) because you're obviously not a thalmor. If you are one of the humanoid races, you can get through without hostility to the guy at the door to the solar, where you need to talk to him to get through and he realises you aren't a thalmor - then everybody turns hostile.
Looking that up after the fact, seems Orcs are supposed to get a "that PROBABLY works!" situation. I only knew about the buggy freebie robe, when I stealth battleaxed that mage upstairs first thing, putting on his clothes and unequipping my weapon seemed to make the Thalmor chime in with things like "Oh, they must be new around here" while rushing over to kill me with swords and summons at the ready in the middle of saying cliche disguise reaction lines :v:

Tin Tim posted:

Poor Malboro Man. He pretty much always dies on your first try at this because you have no idea that the guards will spawn in while you're loving around in the cells. If you're on the ball you can get back up the stairs in time and the whack the guards to save him. Bows usually don't work cause the guards will just stab him before you can kill them. Keeping him alive enables a small follow-up quest where you help him to leave skyrim cause the thalmor now want his rear end dead

Yeah, they talk long enough that just going "Oh gently caress" and sprinting up the stairs with a battle axe got the job done for me. I imagine if my aim with sprinting power attacks was slightly off though, I'd probably have killed them harder than Puffles did.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
BONUS VIDEO

Because Highwang asked nicely.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

:coffeepal:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Great LP so far, UZworm! This is about the most interested I've been in normal Skyrim outside of the Awful mod thread in like months.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Good news, vids 9 & 10 are finally recorded and ready to be put out soon!

:siren: Other news: I'm gonna have to get this stupid Civil War questline out of the way at some point, because gently caress the diplomacy quest that the game makes you sit through otherwise, so I will (most likely) be doing a Civil War Skyrim stream on my Twitch channel at 6 pm Mountain Time (that's 8 Eastern and 5 Pacific) on the 29th of September, a day which just happens to also be my birthday. I may be slightly inebriated as I finish off the Stormcloak revolution once and for all as Mr. Puffles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Good luck with your rampage through the lands, and happy birthday UZWorm :buddy:

I finally finished off the civil war and main quest for the first time, and I discovered personal reason number two to tell Ulfric to go gently caress himself. (First one being Stormcloaks reaction to the Helgen dragon. Become huge babies and ditch me while the overworked Empire grunts try save me).

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I just remembered how the party quest broke for me, essentially making it impossible to complete the main quest without constantly using console commands to advance the quest states.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Rubberduke posted:

I just remembered how the party quest broke for me, essentially making it impossible to complete the main quest without constantly using console commands to advance the quest states.

It's amazing how many places the game can gently caress up and render itself unwinnable. The first time I ever played Skyrim the game glitched itself unplayable twice. It's amazing I picked it back up and like it so much now, actually!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I might actually pick the game back up again, once you get into how to break the difficulty once the main quest is finished, in seven months.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

UZworm posted:

Good news, vids 9 & 10 are finally recorded and ready to be put out soon!

:siren: Other news: I'm gonna have to get this stupid Civil War questline out of the way at some point, because gently caress the diplomacy quest that the game makes you sit through otherwise, so I will (most likely) be doing a Civil War Skyrim stream on my Twitch channel at 6 pm Mountain Time (that's 8 Eastern and 5 Pacific) on the 29th of September, a day which just happens to also be my birthday. I may be slightly inebriated as I finish off the Stormcloak revolution once and for all as Mr. Puffles.

Wait, you've been doing this SOBER? That's not Nordic in the least! Also, happy Birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

UZworm posted:

It's amazing how many places the game can gently caress up and render itself unwinnable. The first time I ever played Skyrim the game glitched itself unplayable twice. It's amazing I picked it back up and like it so much now, actually!

I never understood why Bathesda gets a free pass when it comes to buggy games. They always seem to be buggy messes when they come out and they always still get high marks.

Obsidian got raked over the coals for the same deal (which was ironically as much as Bathesda's fault as Obsidian's).

I lost a lot of respect for Bathesda after the FONV debacle. To the point that I don't buy their games until they're massively on sale anymore.

• Locked thread