Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Today, when out and about, I stopped by a farm with a bactrian camel. How did I know it was a bactrian camel as opposed to a dromedary camel? Well, I know things about camels and camel relatives! You are also now in the privileged position where you, too, can learn about some camels.

To begin, camels and their close relatives (llamas, vicuna, guanaco) are placental mammals. As such, camels do most of the normal placental mammal things. They have hair, they give birth to live young, they breathe air, they bleed red, the whole shebang. More specifically, they're artiodactyls, which is to say that they have an even number of toes. Toe reduction is common in terrestrial mammals, and the most "derived" fast-running species have experienced a decrease in the number of toes over time. (That most humans haven't is just a reflection of our shoddy workmanship. Clearly, God is some kind of idiot.) Though camels are not particularly fast, they have two toes per foot, much like the ostrich and the pronghorn antelope. Like the ostrich, but unlike the pronghorn, camels do not have hooves.

You can see there is also a reduction in the coverage of the nail overall. A camel's foot is largely adapted for traversing the sand, and therefore the primary concern is to keep the animal from sinking. Though "sinking" is less of a concern for the camelids of South America, such as the alpaca, you can see a similar configuration.

The family Camelidae contains all the contemporary camel and camel relative species (again, including vicuna and guanaco). In the past, suborder Tylopoda (which in turn encompasses Camelidae) contained many other species, but they are now extinct. To be honest, even Camelidae itself is not very speciose, although there are many individuals among the remaining species. Though the wild Bactrian camel is among the rarest of mammals on Earth, many exist in the domesticated lineage. In the 1970s, the vicuna was teetering at the brink, and now they are common. Camelids tend to do well when they're not being hunted. There are absolute assloads of feral dromedary camels in Australia, for example.

Here's a vicuna! They are the most gracile of the camelids. There are over a quarter-million vicuna today, so like the size of some lovely Rust Belt city you might have heard of but would have no reason at all to visit. They live in the Andes, and I would like to see one in the wild.

Here's a guanaco! They look very similar and their ranges are similar. They're both countershaded, so their tum-tums are light-colored and their backs are darker, but neither has a dorsal stripe like, for example, a donkey. There are about a half-million of these remaining, all of them in South America.

This is a dromedary camel. It has one hump, because that's the number dromedaries have. These are the camels associated with the Bedouin and etc. There are about fifteen million dromedaries. All of them are domesticated or feral, none of the remaining dromedaries are truly "wild" lineages. Compare, for example, the wild tarpan and the feral mustang among horses. (Or brumby horses, if we're keeping the Australia thing going.)

This is a Bactrian camel, and it has two humps. It is fluffy and well-adapted to cold environments. They live in central Asia, and there are about two million domesticated Bactrian camels. There are a few hundred wild ones remaining, and very few people seem to care about saving them.

Camels are neat, but they are also assholes. They're known for having rather lovely tempers, and the much-loved llama is actually a pretty crummy pack animal all things considered.

The hump of a camel is fat. When they take a long swig, their bellies distend instead. The best thing about camels is their teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
reported for posting unlinked cameltoes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gorehound that I am, my favorite individual camel is the BodyWorlds camel.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

rated 4

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im gonna gently caress one of those weird long neck deers

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Thanks for the fascinating glimpse into camel toes

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
talk about the body temperature thing

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
good job, Pick

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

you know the ones I mean that have the real long neck but they aren't gorafes they are like big swole deers with long thin necks, I'm gonna gently caress one

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
camels can be p cool

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

kiss my rear end op

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hell Yeah posted:

kiss my rear end op

hey you wouldn't happen to be one of those really weird long necked deers would you

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I hope they save the wild bactrian camel

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Pick how about alpacas. Thank u for the camel thread :)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I've got about 30 alpaca on the property. They're pretty much weird looking sheep with personalities and idiosyncratic haircuts and patterning. The genetics for their fleece is more complicated than human hair and still hasn't been worked out properly as far as I know.
We have a brown female alpaca that was rejected by her mother for being a month premature since they almost certainly die when that happens. We hand reared her in the house and she did almost die a couple times but she pulled through and is 3 now(alpacas are full grown by 2 and live to about 20) and thinks she's a person. When you shear them you kind of spread eagle them on their belly on the ground with ropes pulling on each leg, normally they're pretty relaxed when they go down but she's like wtf are you doing!! and screams and pisses and shits everywhere at the indignity of being treated like an alpaca. She really likes meeting new people and getting pats and embarrassingly she usually reacts to men by lifting her tail up and doing her sexy alpaca walk. Her favourite thing is sucking on gumboots.

That's my alpaca story.

edit: also, if you're not careful about how you close the barn she can open the bolt and break in to steal hay and alpaca pellets.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 7, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

:chloe:

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

edit: also, if you're not careful about how you close the barn she can open the bolt and break in to steal hay and alpaca pellets.

I've had horses pick my pockets but I've never seen one break in to a barn to steal food before.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
https://youtu.be/FcU54jKXTWQ

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

bleep.bloop posted:

I've had horses pick my pockets but I've never seen one break in to a barn to steal food before.

Horses are retarded.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Pretty sure this is a turkey.

OP is a phoney!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Pretty sure this is a turkey.

OP is a phoney!

Ostriches are the only birds with two toes, and the only birds with only one clawed toe.

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!

Horses are retarded.

They are, but all the ones I've known are also notorious practical jokers. Once a horse stole a pencil out of my tool bags and made me chase him around to get it back. Do camelids like to play pranks on people?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

bleep.bloop posted:

They are, but all the ones I've known are also notorious practical jokers. Once a horse stole a pencil out of my tool bags and made me chase him around to get it back. Do camelids like to play pranks on people?

Does kicking people in the balls count as a prank?

Alpaca fact #4 - males get into big screamy wrestling fights with each other where they try to bite each other's balls off.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
The best Camels

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I used to live in the Gobi Desert and regularly interacted with camels. Theyre assholes.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

does anyone know the name f those weird long neck deers it's not that I'm gonna try and buy one because I want to gently caress one or anything haha just can't remember the name

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A camelidae keeps the doctor away

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Celluloid Sam posted:

does anyone know the name f those weird long neck deers it's not that I'm gonna try and buy one because I want to gently caress one or anything haha just can't remember the name

Giraffes pandas

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Iron Prince posted:

camels can be p cool

Why is Joe Camels face a dick and balls anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWV3eS_JKvU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Edit: loving imgur

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

those images aren't showing up for me just wondering if it's the weird log neck deers?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Trying to phone post a bunch of my camel pics. Ill do it at home later

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hey alpaca guy post some pictures of your alpacas

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Pick posted:

Ostriches are the only birds with two toes, and the only birds with only one clawed toe.

Whoa

WHOA!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

various cheeses posted:

Hey alpaca guy post some pictures of your alpacas

No promises but I might try to get some pics tomorrow.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

No promises but I might try to get some pics tomorrow.

Promise me, R&T

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i thought you stopped making these threads pick, good to see i was wrong

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like me a bactrian, and am not a fan of dromedary.

Please accept this offering of camel clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myGm4DB2_Ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU-X0fz60T4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksX0wDSgBY0

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Quantum Finger posted:

talk about the body temperature thing

Animals maintain homeostatis (that is, physiological processes keep the body within its requisite parameters for continuing to be alive) through a variety of mechanisms. One such parameter is temperature. Bluefin tuna, for example, have a rete mirabile that reduces the amount of heat lost to the ocean water (whereas camels have one that cools blood flowing to the brain--a rete mirabile equalizes blood temp between arteries and veins pretty much). Dromedary camels, which are large diurnal desert creatures, are obviously more concerned with shedding heat than maintaining it. They don't have large ears like elephants though (in fact, camel ears are itty-bitty). They can however survive high internal temperatures, so yeah they let their interior temperatures reach 105 or so degrees F on a sometimes daily basis. They can go four two weeks without drinking water as long as the temperature isn't too high, since their kidneys are extremely effective at using minimal water for excretion. uhhh yep I think that stuff is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The Sentinel

• Locked thread