Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In No Man's Sky you can do anything you can do in a game: jump, or run, or use WASD for movement, or move around using the controller, or use guns (weaponry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mapping out the entire galaxy with graph paper, so far all the cells are blank, but in a way that is very accurate. I like/enjoy this game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

everything is procedurally generated by an algorithm created by a very famous botanist who recently sued a local car wash. this algorithm will ensure you will never see the same creatures twice. just imagine: setting foot on the mysterious world of Glanova-5 and watching red, three-legged rodents scamper into futuristic drainage ditches. then picture yourself entering the Crumula galaxy, landing on the beautiful exotic planet of Frintox, and seeing blue, three-legged rodents scamper into holes in the ground. then you can mine some space dirt. the estimated average playing time for this game is somewhere over 50,000 hours on average
That average is two hours for most players, and a hundred million for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love procedural generation, especially about three-quarters through the episode when the bad guy accidentally confesses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

the things from dungeons and dragons
Aelfen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cool to know that the game isn't boring due to carelessness, but due to intent. Going to really reconsider how I feel about it now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Well not that every one of these games has to come back to minecraft and even if you think minecraft is stupid it's still one of the only games that comes close to getting all those mechanics right. Feeding yourself which is essentially what life support charge is, in minecraft is a lot more dynamic and depending how heavily modded you play it, can eventually be trivialized and automated appropriately. Heck almost everything in this game was done better by minecraft. Planets are just biomes but from what I can tell it's not like Minecraft where you get the thrill of discovering that a particular biome has a really sweet thing in it since you're guaranteed several million square miles of evenly distributed resources and Events or whatever, and it doesn't take 10 minutes to get to the next biome. Unless I haven't gotten to some part with epic insane monsters you have to fight who do more than run at you in a straight line or robots that arent brain dead drones, even the combat is better, for all the customization you can do to your guns and crap.
I really dislike the hunger mechanic in Minecraft, but as clumsy and shallow as it is in vanilla, at least it works toward a goal of pressuring the player to take early game risks. There's a bunch of collection stuff in No Man's Sky because ?????? Maybe because other survival games do it.

Like it doesn't make much sense for No Man's Sky to be a survival game. You could just make it a Pokemon Snap-style scavenger hunt and ask players to find a certain set of landmarks/x number of creatures/etc. and it would make way more sense as a way to get players to explore as many planets as possible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

I got a refund for this on PS4. Went into the support chat and requested it politely and the rep responded so quickly it was like she was copy pasting it for everybody who was asking lol. Still feel like an idiot for buying it but at least I'm not out $60
PS4 is win, Steam doesn't even care if they sell you outright broken poo poo, let alone refund it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Steam will only refund you within 24 hours or something.
They wouldn't refund my broken FFX HD collection because I didn't find the bugs in time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PC gaming is win.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

how was FFXHD broken? i've put like 30 horus in and got distracted, but gently caress picking it back up if there is some game breaking bug
I just had a weird cutscene bug about 2 chapters into FFX-2 where it canceled all the dialogue. Like it would just not play the audio and skip the animation entirely, it was weird. Not a clue what was up. I'll get it on PS4 in a couple years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

ah...i was gonna give x-2 a miss anyway
Why would you do this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The reasoning for that bugs existence was cool. Apparently a lot of games, instead of trying to generate random numbers because it's a pain to do well, just look at the system clock for the number to put into the RNG. This is what they did on the PS3 version of FFXHD, and when they ported it to PS4 they forgot to change the thing that said it was a PS4 clock instead of a PS3 clock so it just defaulted to 12:00AM 1/1/1900 and everybody got the exact same seed for every RNG outcome in the game, meaning no matter how many times you tried to beat a boss the outcome wouldn't change if your strategy was the same. Bizarre
This is pretty cool and I hope someone mods in the ability to enter custom RNG seeds or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I remember being embarrassed by the skimpy outfits many years ago is it actually a good rpg?
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I would but I can't close low tax threads lol
I closed it.

• Locked thread