Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

This is Hong Kong. A poppin’ joint where you’ll find the hippest couples in the Secret War droppin’ it like it’s hot. If you wanna show your bae that ‘you da man’ then you best ‘turn up’ here; er’body in the place be swaggin’. Don’t matter whether shorty like hangin’ outdoors or gettin’ crunk in da club. If you got the scrilla’ then Hong Kong got yo back.

It is February 2017, The Transfer happened about twenty years ago. The Communists got the city! People are frustrated about the whole affair especially about choosing a Chief Executive. Well, until President Trump forced the Chinese Communist Party to allow the Hong Kong people to choose unvetted candidates. So, what did they do to try and make sure pro-Beijing people run? Simple, they made it crazy expensive to run! Meaning the majority of the race got some mainlander money to help them. So, it seemed like the Hong Kong people won’t be able to get a candidate that they wanted. In the end, it seemed to be whatever the establishment wanted.

Until an eccentric Hong Kongese billionaire named Leslie Lau joined into the fray, and started to grab headlines. Claiming he’s going to be running a grassroots movement for the Hong Kong people. He has stated he will make Mandarin illegal to speak in Hong Kong and use the money from those fines toward Cantonese and English language education. He even has the song "Boundless Ocean, Vast Skies" by Beyond as his campaign anthem.

Popular with the people of Hong Kong especially recently with using the hashtag #Chexit and stating if he had to take out an important state official to a dinner. It’ll be at this local dim sum place he knows. “We’ll just grab a couple of porkbuns and get back to business. No need for anything elaborate.”

Nevertheless, there is a deeper crisis hidden in Hong Kong. A secret war that has been fought for since time began. Evil factions vie for control not only of the present but of all time. You; however, are only about to be thrown into it.

See, this journey begins at a nice local Kowloon dim sum joint known as the Eating Counter. What begins next is you entering the Secret War and fight to ensure the forces of good win, if not, will the evil fascist apes, eunuch sorcerers, or actual reptilians win?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Feng Shui 2! This is going to be a weekly game run on Roll20 using Discord. I am looking for about two to five Chi Warriors to join the fight and cause all sorts of crazy mayhem.

The time for the game will most likely will be run on Thursday nights at 6pm CST to 9pm CST but others days can be negotiated.

Tone of the game is going to be just like the films of Hong Kong. So, imagine Hard Boiled, Saviour of the Soul, A Better Tomorrow, Mr. Vampire, etc.

Don’t have to generate characters from the modern juncture. You can be like from the future as a ghost or monster who ends up trying to help the forces of good.

What I want from you:

-Your character’s name, archtype, and melodramatic hook
-Picture to compliment it
-A couple sentence backstory
-Talk about your favorite Hong Kong film
-What do you like about TRPGs?
-What are you looking out of this game?

Recruitment will end around August 14th

If you need to ask me any questions about the game, you can usually find me in SynIRC in #acolyte

Ramba Ral fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Paul Lee, Maverick Cop
Concept: Undercover in the Sun Yee On
Hook: My handler was killed by the triad for getting too close to their biggest secret.
Backstory in progress, if you really want me to post it. I mean, poo poo, he's a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules, I can go into more detail if you want, but the picture and hook say it all really

Talk about your favorite Hong Kong film: The only one I've ever seen is Project A2 with Jackie Chan (dubbed) and I remember enjoying it greatly. Also if you couldn't guess, playing the hell out of Sleeping Dogs right now.
What do you like about TRPGs?: Being a big drat hero and triumphing over impossible odds.
What are you looking for out of this game?: Being a big drat hero and triumphing over impossible odds. Also magic kung fu duels, stylish gun battles, and pork buns.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I want in on this, but I'm PST, so 4pm is a little early for me. Any chance we could push it back a little? 7 CST would be best, but even 6:30 CST should be enough to get home from work and settle a bit. Otherwise, Thursday nights work great for me.

As far as a character goes, I've got:

Inspector Kate Wu, the Karate Cop
Melodramatic Hook: Looking to bring in Lucky Zheng, the Triad boss who ordered the killing of Teddy Wu, her father.

Lucky Zheng:

(The late) Teddy Wu:

Kate Wu is the daughter of a cop, the granddaughter of a cop, and probably even further back than that. When she first went to try to become a cop, she was the smallest of the recruits, but she fought her way through it. At times, this meant literally fighting her way to respect from her fellow officers. She's been an inspector for a year, and she's pretty sure she's going to be doing this for a while, since it's the best chance she has in bringing in her father's killer. She might be a little obsessed with her job.

Favorite Hong Kong film: Kung Fu Hustle is probably my favorite, just because of the combination of heroics, comedy and kung fu action. I've got a soft spot for slapstick.
What do you like about TRPGs? Love heroics, love choices that matter, love having control over what's going on.
What are you looking for out of this game? Full Hong Kong action, melodrama, etc. I love the sudden shifts of Hong Kong movies from melodrama to action to slapstick to etc etc.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 17, 2016

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
here my carater

James "Jimmy" Dodger Jr., Scrappy Kid
Hook: Parents presumably killed by bad guys (was too young to remember who or why), barely escaped them through a gate and has been living on the streets in HK ever since

Growing up on the streets as a white kid in Hong Kong was tough, so Jimmy had to be tougher. He learned to sort of read Cantonese and English by sneaking into movie theaters and is a huge fan of Bruce Lee and Donnie Yen. His few possessions include his baseball bat, trusty homemade throwing stars, his jacks and marbles and an old sepia-colored picture with the words "James and Catherine Dodger, 1924" on the back.

what film: I've enjoyed most HK action films I've seen, the most recent of which was Five Deadly Venoms and the Ip Man series. Stephen Chow's done some pretty good, funny films as well.
why game: TRPGs are a fun way to hang out and are much less structured than video games and board games which is great.
why tihs game: I want to see badass heroes doing cool stuff and spouting cheesy one-liners while fighting impossible odds and barely escaping with their lives.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah, cool apps so far.

On moving the start time up a bit, I'll be fine with 6:30pm CST, just to let you know, I work nights so I'll have to leave at 9:30 at the latest.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
That's 4:30 PST? Could work for me.

Do you want me to expound on Paul's backstory? I could write a little more but I figured you'd get the idea from the picture/archetype combo: hot-tempered, quick with a gun and a pun, maybe a little more at home in the tiad than the police force.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Oh, Sleeping Dogs is a great game, which I 100% completed and got all the achievements for.

So I get your background with wanting to be a snarky Wei Shen and all. Just go ahead and have fun giving it your own spin on it. Doesn't have to be exhausting at all.

And here is a Hollywood gem that is basically Feng Shui:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EiTD2Hgo

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off

Lin Jing-Sheng, Pictured Center, Martial Artist

A young but classically trained chinese assassin, skilled in both Shaolin shadow boxing, and the Wu-Tang sword style.

7 years prior, a 17 year old Lin was sent on his first assassination to kill a critical Hong Kong political figure before his attempts to open talks regarding the state of HK's political status. That part was a success, but he was discovered while making his exit and was disavowed by his clan.

Since then he has been hiding out in the cantons, avoiding direct contact with Chinese authorities and making a living by boosting high end import cars for triad chop shops, but Lin would do anything to lessen Chinese power in the area.

OR

Tai Obeng, Sifu

New Age tai chi instructor and spiritual wellness guru of the chakras, crystals, and feng shui stripe.

For all his years of practice and passion for the arts, he'd always believed them to be more placebo treatments for stressful modern lives, rather than the actual, functioning magic it turned out to be.

Now his life is a hectic mess of spiritual rules and balances as he tries to keep the city from collapsing in on itself on account of the abysmal collective chi.

Favorite Hong Kong film: I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment about Kung Fu Hustle, but I'm not sure it counts. Big Trouble in Little China is american and The Raid is korean, so they don't count either. Pin it between "Executioners from Shaolin" and "Shaolin and Wu Tang" for martial arts what-the-fuckery
What do you like about TRPGs? The social game aspect. It's still a game, but it's freeform and no strong competitive aspect. So really it's just having fun with well structured bullshit.
What are you looking for out of this game? My byline is "Cavalier Jackassery" but what I'm looking for from this game is to get into either high flying crane kick antics, or street level legbreaking crime action.

e-dit: The details under the characters is totally line item and changeable if it doesn't suit. just the broad strokes

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung
Well, time to get the cast for this game to get going:

Feng Shui 2 starring
Captain Walker as Paul Lee
thelazyblank as Inspector Kate Wu
Owl Milk as James "Jimmy" Dodger Jr.
SevenSocks as Lin Jing-Sheng

I would like to start out this Thursday, August 18th for our first session. You all up for it?

Roll20 room will probably get setup later in the week since I want to find out if there are any available API scripts for it, but here is the Discord link for now so you can just chill in it.
https://discord.gg/jD868UX

• Locked thread