Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I've seen only a bit of this game before this LP, but I could already tell it's a great ride. I don't have a PS4 myself, so I really look forward to you explaining how great exactly and why. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fedule posted:

Honestly, if Uncharted scrapped difficulty modes and weird trophies and embraced adaptive challenge like Crash Bandicoot did it could've been even better than it is.

don't they already do this? at least in terms of making it easier by giving you ammo/removing enemies if you die too much?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

morallyobjected posted:

don't they already do this? at least in terms of making it easier by giving you ammo/removing enemies if you die too much?

The closest I found to this were some generous mid-fight checkpoints; I can't say I ever noticed ammo replenishing or enemies disappearing. Besides, aren't adaptive difficulty and scaling difficulty modes kind of opposed? Like, what would be the point of having a hardest difficulty if every time you died the encounter got a little easier?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fedule posted:

The closest I found to this were some generous mid-fight checkpoints; I can't say I ever noticed ammo replenishing or enemies disappearing. Besides, aren't adaptive difficulty and scaling difficulty modes kind of opposed? Like, what would be the point of having a hardest difficulty if every time you died the encounter got a little easier?

I could have sworn I read something about it once, but maybe I just read about how they did it in Crash Bandicoot and conflated the two.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't play Uncharted 4 on the hardest difficulty. When I played it on Crushing to platinum it there's a fight near the end that took me a full two and a half hours. Of course, there's also the fact that modes harder than Normal Moderate deincentivize the great run-and-gun gameplay of the series.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I've been playing games straight on hard for many years now. And I agree that uncharted dificulty is kinda BS.

My choice for hard comes from great adaptability. So games usually lose the Challenge part midway.
But the uncharted series just start throwing everything on you and killing you easily with buff enemies so you have to repeat a lot...

Same reason I never went new game plus on Dark Souls.
If the puzzles and traps changed it would be nice. Stronger enemies just take longer to kill.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I can't wait for whatever stupid set pieces this game has in store for us. I've always been totally blind going into Chip and Ironicus' Uncharted LPs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fedule posted:

RE4 has adaptive difficulty AND a hard mode. It's just it kept the adaptive parts subtle, so you didn't feel condescended to when the game dialed things down.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
drat this game is gorgeous. I don't have a PS4, so I've been looking forward to getting a really good look at it like this.

As I understand it, a lot of the textures/materials in Uncharted 4 were procedurally generated using Substance Designer. It sounded like Naughty Dog worked fairly closely with Allegorithmic during the development of both the game and the Substance tools. If anyone's interested in a pretty technical look behind the scenes at the art in the game, there are some videos from GDC 2016 on this stuff here.

(No real spoilers there from what I've seen. The videos were recorded before the game's release, so they were understandably aiming to avoid spoiling things.)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

chiasaur11 posted:

RE4 has adaptive difficulty AND a hard mode. It's just it kept the adaptive parts subtle, so you didn't feel condescended to when the game dialed things down.

the hard mode just locks the adaptive difficulty at max though, so it doesn't have both at the same time

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hard mode was perfect for me. There was one fight towards the end I spent something that felt like an hour trying to clear. And it was pretty intense with enemies rolling from all directions. The fight became a puzzle where I was trying to find the optimal route through obstacles just to stay alive long enough while making sure my bullets lasted.

It helps that the game is balanced perfectly as far as thrills per minute is concerned. There's always a sweet as hell plateau of amazing sights and relaxing climbing that follows a crazy firefight. There's a lot more variety than in previous games which keeps the game fresh scene after scene.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If this game were any other genre I'd probably buy it just for the graphics but I don't like cover based shoot men games. TLOU bended the rules just enough to be fun

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Uncharted 4 actually does more than just cover based shooty action but I'll let Chip cover that.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

After seeing this LP started I went back and finished the last two thirds of Uncharted 3 because I never did that.

That game still looks amazing, occasional framerate drops aside.

Also, where have I seen this guy before?

it must be someone's profile picture somewhere or something. Maybe it just reminds me of Boognish

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sout posted:

After seeing this LP started I went back and finished the last two thirds of Uncharted 3 because I never did that.

it must be someone's profile picture somewhere or something. Maybe it just reminds me of Boognish
It looks like :eng101: to me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well that was a ridiculously charming intro. Kinda reminded me of The Goonies until you could see the city in the background.

How's the HD collection of the first three games btw? I only ever played the second, so it'd be mostly new. Is it worth investigating, or am I better just sticking with the PS3 versions?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Uncharted 1 is still awful. Uncharteds 2 and 3 are still great. They all look fantastic in the Remastered edition, and they got rid of some of the rough edges too. It's worth a buy.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

sout posted:

Looks like something from Newgrounds.

God I wasted too much time with that site.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if Chip and Ironicus will ever take a look at Golden Abyss.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

sleepy.eyes posted:

Looks like something from Newgrounds.

God I wasted too much time with that site.

Dad's Home!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Is there any MUUK™ in this game?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't play Uncharted 4 on the hardest difficulty. When I played it on Crushing to platinum it there's a fight near the end that took me a full two and a half hours. Of course, there's also the fact that modes harder than Normal Moderate deincentivize the great run-and-gun gameplay of the series.

it is nice that you can actually stealth through most of this game tho

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

it is nice that you can actually stealth through most of this game tho

Yeah but Crushing makes that near-impossible too. And in the fight I mentioned it's not even an option.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah when I said I played through most of UC3 yesterday, I meant that I blitzed through the first bit on hard, then on normal, then "gently caress it, easy mode." Just wanted to be caught up for the LP tbh, I remember the other 2 games having to do a lot of retries on so many different areas. It's so hard to survive when you get yourself in a bad position.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

What happens if you get caught while slinking around the orphanage?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

MrWillsauce posted:

What happens if you get caught while slinking around the orphanage?

you get shot, the screen goes white and everybody around you yells "NATE!"

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I'm disappointed that Chip didn't show off stealth takedowns with the nun and priest

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
There are a decent amount of short cutscenes that play when getting caught in a bunch of situations in this game. I'll be compiling those in a video with some other optional stuff that can happen when you screw up in this game at a later point. If you get caught in the orphanage, the nun grabs Nate by the ear and pulls him back to his room. It still treats it like a normal game over though, so there's no backtracking through your room again. :v:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chip Cheezum posted:

There are a decent amount of short cutscenes that play when getting caught in a bunch of situations in this game. I'll be compiling those in a video with some other optional stuff that can happen when you screw up in this game at a later point. If you get caught in the orphanage, the nun grabs Nate by the ear and pulls him back to his room.

I was considering posting that as a joke but huh that's actually what happens. Like the girls' dorm in Bully.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
I'm pretty stoked to actually follow the thread while the LP is live this time around (like I should have done with the Megaman Legends LP).

But now I have to decide if I want to watch the uncut commentary from the start or save that for when I inevitably watch the entire LP over again. :confused:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Chip, I wanted to go back and rewatch your reaction to the E3 trailer back in 2015, but apparently the video was taken down by Activision. Are you ever planning to reupload the video, or is it lost to time forever? Because honestly, it is a god drat tragedy if they have robbed us of your reaction to the FF7 remake trailer.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

sout posted:

Reminds me of Dad from those Dad's home flash videos from way back when.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The only thing frustrating about this LP is going to be waiting for the first few chapters. The game starts out slow and its like a show that works better as a binge watch over waiting week after week.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

The only thing frustrating about this LP is going to be waiting for the first few chapters. The game starts out slow and its like a show that works better as a binge watch over waiting week after week.

Uncharted 4 was definitely taking some cues from The Last of Us. It's definitely got that TV show pacing, with lots of slower moments and transit with dialogue padding out the action sequences. I think it's in a good way, though. All of the dialogue really helps sell the characterization and story.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Uncharted 4 was definitely taking some cues from The Last of Us. It's definitely got that TV show pacing, with lots of slower moments and transit with dialogue padding out the action sequences. I think it's in a good way, though. All of the dialogue really helps sell the characterization and story.

I'd say that some of them go on a bit too long but we'll get there when we get there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

Dad's Home!

gently caress.

I kept thinking of Junior Senior for some reason, and that's not even Newgrounds in any respect.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Inferior posted:

Uncharted 1 is still awful. Uncharteds 2 and 3 are still great. They all look fantastic in the Remastered edition, and they got rid of some of the rough edges too. It's worth a buy.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well that was a ridiculously charming intro. Kinda reminded me of The Goonies until you could see the city in the background.

How's the HD collection of the first three games btw? I only ever played the second, so it'd be mostly new. Is it worth investigating, or am I better just sticking with the PS3 versions?

Yeah the HD version of Uncharted 1 - 3 is pretty great. They also fixed a few things in each gaqmes. Uncharted 1 got rid of the useless sixasxis gimmick, so no longer do you need to balance the controller while walking on logs and grenades are like how they are in Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 had a lot more skins to use, as all the multiplayer costumes got added to it. And Uncharted 3 got all the bonus features that 1 and 2 added back in. So you can once again be Doughnut Drake in the game while the Next Gen filter is on. Only slight annoyance there is not all weapons are unlockable, so if you are trying to get a trophy for X kills for using a weapon, you might need to visit a chapter with a enemy who uses it if it not in the weapon list.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/735357972784807936

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

sout posted:

:eng101:

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I would listen to books on tape if they were read by Vargas. This episode also features the beginnings of Nate's wrestling career.

Episode 2: Pyrate Falsehoods.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Ah, Panamá, where the jails are staffed and inhabited exclusively by Mexicans.

• Locked thread