Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought that way until someone pointed out that gyroscopic forces would make such a ship almost completely unmaneuverable. I wish they'd had extra CGI capacity to show them spinning down for combat.

I actually find it funnier as is. Like, humans did this feat of engineering but when they go into combat the reaction is "gently caress it, laser go brrrrrrr"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the spinning section should be split in half and counter-rotating or turn off for combat at least, but gently caress it, rule of cool wins. It's a great design.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CainFortea posted:

"gently caress it, laser go brrrrrrr"

Which is why I also have a soft spot for the Novas which can best be summed up as "strap as many giant fuckoff lasers to a brick as we can".

I mean in general I love almost all the starship designs in B5 and think they all tell a story about the perspective and status of the race that built them.

e: I'm fighting the urge to do my breakdown of all the major powers ship designs and how they contribute to telling the story of their builder races while stuck in these zoom meetings.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 2, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone know where I can get the series in Canada? I've been wanting to rewatch it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone know where I can get the series in Canada? I've been wanting to rewatch it.

The only options I know of is either ordering the dvds, or spending 150 dollars to buy the digital version fron the play store.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

e: I'm fighting the urge to do my breakdown of all the major powers ship designs and how they contribute to telling the story of their builder races while stuck in these zoom meetings.

There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams, that stems from you not writing that loving post goddam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr. Stab posted:

The only options I know of is either ordering the dvds, or spending 150 dollars to buy the digital version fron the play store.

gently caress.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Which is why I also have a soft spot for the Novas which can best be summed up as "strap as many giant fuckoff lasers to a brick as we can".

I mean in general I love almost all the starship designs in B5 and think they all tell a story about the perspective and status of the race that built them.

Why are you fighting it?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The avalanche has already begun, it is too late for pebbles to vote.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mostly because I hate phone posting but I'll try and effort post after making dinner.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello thread! I was told I should post here after I let the PS4 thread know I had just started to watch this show. My knowledge going in on what it was about is prsctically zero. I knew it was about a space station with a lot of varied people living on it and that is about it. I knew that it was extremely lauded and had been meaning to watch for absolute years.

Well with the situation the world is finding itself in, I bought season one on itunes a few weeks ago and until today had watched The Gathering and Midnight on the Firing Line.

Today I have just watched Soul Hunter, Born to Purple and just this moment finished Infection. There is another thread in the Sci-fi Wi-fi called Babylon 5 Blind watching where I posted a few thoughts and at the risk of doubling up I would like to share them here too as it is safe to say I am invested in the show.

VideoGames posted:

1-2 finished!
w Morgan shepherd was pretty awesome in this and goodness what an interesting kind of alien.

I was really intrigued by his mentioning of Delenn being a Satai? (Not sure the correct word) but from her introduction I have had that bit of dialogue from the first episode about how the minbari just stopped the war with humanity and why that was.

It feels like an episode that any other series would treat as a monster of the week episode but in fact is laying down ground work for something bigger!

No idea what but that is why I am watching.

I do like the new doctor too!

VideoGames posted:

1-3 Born to the Purple

Can I just say that I have seen some of the title names for the episodes and they are great. They have a sort of old skool scifi feel to them.

This one was even better. Londo is a really interesting character. I am not quite sure what to make of him. I absolutely buy his feelings for Adira and hers for him despite what she did. That final wave at her as his expression changes to sadness and loss is excellent acting.

I also liked seeing Sinclair be a bit devious (leading to that wonderful moment with g-Kar. G-kar’s little “oh you” grin when Sinclair complimented him made me grin.

I think so far I most enjoy the back and forth between Londo and G-Kar and wish to see more of them. They act like Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in the odd couple and while they feel like arch enemies there is also a kind of playful respect and friendship. It is great!

Something else I like is that despite having a big cast they only show the people necessary. The episodes are dense and too often in big ensembles you have to show every character even if they are not doing things. This feels more tightened.

The Garabaldi and ianova sub story was also very touching.

I think I have enough time for two more episodes tonight!

And now for what I think about 1-4 Infection

The episode felt pretty standardvto me for most of it (alien tech going awry due to capitalist greed) but despite this, the way Babylon 5 has approached it feels fresh which I suspect is due to the strength of the writing for the characters.

It was the last few minutes, however, where it really shone. When Sinclair was fighting the man weapon, everything he was saying was mesmerising. Michael o'Hare was an acting powerhouse in that scene and even though he was the main star I was still on the edge of my seat. Plus I thought it strange how yet again he was going up against an enemy despite being the guy in charge 'surely there are other departments for that.'

It was then the moment with Garibaldi that put a beautiful capstone on it. Him actually voicing my thoughts and the writing being so real as to not really have a proper resolution to what Garibaldi said. That we as the audience knew he was acting against himself but having a friend bring it to light is not the kind of thing that just fixes it.

Then Sinclairs final words about what we would lose if we did not reach the stars. Honestly, that retroactively lifted the whole episode for me and if the show is made up of these moments as I am lead to believe, then I am surely in for an incredible treat!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

VideoGames posted:

Hello thread! I was told I should post here after I let the PS4 thread know I had just started to watch this show. My knowledge going in on what it was about is prsctically zero. I knew it was about a space station with a lot of varied people living on it and that is about it. I knew that it was extremely lauded and had been meaning to watch for absolute years.

Well with the situation the world is finding itself in, I bought season one on itunes a few weeks ago and until today had watched The Gathering and Midnight on the Firing Line.

Today I have just watched Soul Hunter, Born to Purple and just this moment finished Infection. There is another thread in the Sci-fi Wi-fi called Babylon 5 Blind watching where I posted a few thoughts and at the risk of doubling up I would like to share them here too as it is safe to say I am invested in the show.

And now for what I think about 1-4 Infection

The episode felt pretty standardvto me for most of it (alien tech going awry due to capitalist greed) but despite this, the way Babylon 5 has approached it feels fresh which I suspect is due to the strength of the writing for the characters.

It was the last few minutes, however, where it really shone. When Sinclair was fighting the man weapon, everything he was saying was mesmerising. Michael o'Hare was an acting powerhouse in that scene and even though he was the main star I was still on the edge of my seat. Plus I thought it strange how yet again he was going up against an enemy despite being the guy in charge 'surely there are other departments for that.'

It was then the moment with Garibaldi that put a beautiful capstone on it. Him actually voicing my thoughts and the writing being so real as to not really have a proper resolution to what Garibaldi said. That we as the audience knew he was acting against himself but having a friend bring it to light is not the kind of thing that just fixes it.

Then Sinclairs final words about what we would lose if we did not reach the stars. Honestly, that retroactively lifted the whole episode for me and if the show is made up of these moments as I am lead to believe, then I am surely in for an incredible treat!

I think we're all monitoring (and loving) that thread and I recommend that you stay out of this one until you've finished your watch. You do NOT want to get a stray spoiler for this show, it'll ruin the experience you're going to have!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Agreed. A signal flare went up and we flocked to Sci-fi wi-fi like ravenous wolves. Understand that nothing excites a B5 fan like seing in real time the reactions of someone watching the show for the first time.

So please, for your sake and ours, stay in the sfi fi thread. None of us want to inadvertently spoil anything

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

And we will be waiting here for you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you! I will :) this will be my last post here for a while! I now have a notebook taking notes and already written a bit about Parliament of Dreams!

Till later my friends!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

God this is loving great. That thread is like Christmas AND Easter all rolled into one.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought that way until someone pointed out that gyroscopic forces would make such a ship almost completely unmaneuverable. I wish they'd had extra CGI capacity to show them spinning down for combat.

The original plan was for the Omega's engines to be mounted on massive gimbals to counteract the gyroscopic forces, but it was too expensive/time-consuming to actually do.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TraderStav posted:

God this is loving great. That thread is like Christmas AND Easter all rolled into one.

*in extreme Londo voice*

Oh we're all in for a treat, yes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the spinning section should be split in half and counter-rotating or turn off for combat at least, but gently caress it, rule of cool wins. It's a great design.

That wouldn't help with the gyroscopic stabilization problem that a spinning section would create. Even if they're counter rotating, that means trying to yaw or pitch the craft would have to fight the gyroscopic force.

Also, VideoGames is a precious potato and needs to be protected. He went into the Eve thread, a place full of bitter jaded terminally online people and just had fun mining and encouraged others to have fun chilling in space.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

And we will be waiting here for you.

We have always been here.

CainFortea posted:

That wouldn't help with the gyroscopic stabilization problem that a spinning section would create. Even if they're counter rotating, that means trying to yaw or pitch the craft would have to fight the gyroscopic force.

Couldn't you alter the spin speed of one section or the other to produce a force for maneuvering?

I mean the real answer is you wouldn't spin under thrust because the thrust is creating gravity, the spinning section needs to fold back like the Argo in Battletech, but given what we're working with in B5.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

Couldn't you alter the spin speed of one section or the other to produce a force for maneuvering?

I mean the real answer is you wouldn't spin under thrust because the thrust is creating gravity, the spinning section needs to fold back like the Argo in Battletech, but given what we're working with in B5.

Fold back? How do you mean? If it folds in it's going to move faster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fold back? How do you mean? If it folds in it's going to move faster.

The Argo has three habitat modules. When the ship isn't under thrust, those spin and the floors are facing outward. When the ship goes under thrust, the modules fold back so the floors are facing toward the engine, and the thrust gravity takes over for the spin gravity.

E: The thrust configuration. It's a neat design.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 2, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That wouldn't help with yaw or pitch. You could use it to rotate, but then when you wanted to stop rotating you'd have to apply the other force anyway. If you had counter rotating hab units it would still be more efficient to just use thrusters since your roll axis would be energy neutral from the start.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

The Argo has three habitat modules. When the ship isn't under thrust, those spin and the floors are facing outward. When the ship goes under thrust, the modules fold back so the floors are facing toward the engine, and the thrust gravity takes over for the spin gravity.

E: The thrust configuration. It's a neat design.

It would be tricky to do this seamlessly, you'd have to be actively, aggressively reducing spin while you're doing this, because the tendency when folding in would be for the whole thing to spin faster.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's been a very long time since I studied any physics, but IIRC, while counter-rotating sections would neutralize the torque on the rest of the ship, they wouldn't help with maneuverability otherwise. Any rotating object resists torque perpendicular to its axis of rotation. Again, going from memory, the resistance is proportional in some way to both the speed and mass of the rotating objects, but I don't remember the name for all this science or the nature of the equations. Any rotating section would therefore make it hard to pitch or yaw the ship, even if they were counter-rotating. Counter-rotation would make it easier to spin them up or down.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you! I will :) this will be my last post here for a while! I now have a notebook taking notes and already written a bit about Parliament of Dreams!

Till later my friends!

Hey VG welcome and see you soon! Didn’t mean to recommend you a thread and then have you take a hiatus from it. :shobon:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VideoGames posted:

Till later my friends!

When it is time, come to this place. Call our name. We will be here.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm prepping for my effort post by deep diving into much the published material of B5 ship design. As a teaser, we were both half right earlier. Production of the Omega class began during the Earth-Minbari war but none were completed before the battle of the line. Also the original design was intended to have a gimballed engine section which would orient to counteract the torque of the rotating section. But they ran out of time building the model so they just slapped so engines on the back and called it a day.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

When it is time, come to this place. Call our name. We will be here.

:perfect: This gives me chills.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think I'm going to have to unfavorite the other thread cause the temptation to talk about stuff is very great.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CainFortea posted:

I think I'm going to have to unfavorite the other thread cause the temptation to talk about stuff is very great.

I know what you mean. That's why I've just been lurking over there. Still, it's too fun to watch them go through it to ignore entirely.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ConfusedUs posted:

There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams, that stems from you not writing that loving post goddam.

lmao

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Just reply here, that's what I'm planning on doing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Just reply here, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Okay

TheAardvark posted:

S1E9

Also Lennier is cool and my friend and I will not allow ill to be spoken of him.

This poor poster. Though I do remember really liking Lennier too, especially with him and the motorcycle. I thought that was entertaining.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 3, 2020

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was sorely tempted to post :dudsmile: after that, I admit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Okay

This poor poster. Though I do remember really liking Lennier too, especially with him and the motorcycle. I thought that was entertaining.

Lennier was OK up until he started getting weird about Sheridan and Delenn which was what, mid S4?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Midjack posted:

Lennier was OK up until he started getting weird about Sheridan and Delenn which was what, mid S4?

I thought it was more into s5

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I thought it was more into s5

Could be, it’s been a long time since I’ve watched B5.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Midjack posted:

I think, in retrospect, the point where Lennier starts actually going downhill is that bar scene with Marcus. It's not romantic love as you'd understand it, it's a nobler, purer love. But I understand that she is fated for another. That's when he really started turning into a printer carrying "nice" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Scifi Wifi also has room for other b5 threads, it is the friendly sci-fi subforum :)