Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ultrafilter posted:

Honestly out of all the characters probably the best match for Brian was G'kar, but Andreas Katsulas perfected that role, so no dice.

Ivonava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
People would definitely listen to Brian Blessed Zathras.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Brian Blessed as Sinclair.

“HELLOOOO! OLD FRIEND!”

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I do wonder how well James Spader would have been as Morden. Kinda thinking of his Robert California, questioning the underlings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You know, when I made my "Neroon chews the scenery more than anyone" comment, I realized that I was actually thinking of Draal.

So, uh, sorry about that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Neroon definitely has bits of backdrop in his teeth.

And I think Spader would be wasted on Morden unless you gave him more screen time. I’m thinking more like Bester although Koenig was perfect so ...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
James Spader as the political office. Don't change a single scene or line.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now I'm trying to think of a way B5 could use a Raymond Reddington style playboy raconteur hitman type of guy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Data Graham posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a way B5 could use a Raymond Reddington style playboy raconteur hitman type of guy.

I mean what show wouldn't benefit from a Raymond Reddington style playboy raconteur hitman type of guy?

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
There's a new fan rerender! :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0ka2xJF94

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1325240085483188226?s=20

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The scene of the president attempting to destroy the planet in retaliation for his obvious defeat is not reassuring at all.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
It sounds like there's an official "remaster" slowly and ineptly being released.

I say "remaster" because it because it basically seems to be decent quality 4:3 scans of the broadcast versions which, considering the absolute smudge-fest we've been dealing with, is a heck of an improvement.

And I say "ineptly" because Amazon UK has a "Remastered" banner but the episodes seem to still be the same terrible quality, and others are reporting that some of the episodes on iTunes are now this better quality 4:3 version. So I don't know if these are actually going to be delivered in any kind of orderly fashion, or if we're forever going to be in this pot-luck state where you might get a remastered episode depending on any of the following: the episode, the streaming service, the region, fate.

JMS has linked to a YouTube video which is light on description but seems to be a comparison of the "remaster" and the old versions we had. It's definitely too much of an improvement to be AI upscaling, but not so good that it's amazing, so it seems believable enough.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1328634855823876097?s=20

And actually, looking at the comparisons, I think I'd be fine if this is all we ever got. A little softness around the edges helps hide some of the roughness, I think!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really hope this makes it to Vudu since I bought the series there...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Even the vudu versions we have are, if not light-years, then at least a bunch of AU better than the DVDs or anything else.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dirty posted:

It sounds like there's an official "remaster" slowly and ineptly being released.

I say "remaster" because it because it basically seems to be decent quality 4:3 scans of the broadcast versions which, considering the absolute smudge-fest we've been dealing with, is a heck of an improvement.

And I say "ineptly" because Amazon UK has a "Remastered" banner but the episodes seem to still be the same terrible quality, and others are reporting that some of the episodes on iTunes are now this better quality 4:3 version. So I don't know if these are actually going to be delivered in any kind of orderly fashion, or if we're forever going to be in this pot-luck state where you might get a remastered episode depending on any of the following: the episode, the streaming service, the region, fate.

JMS has linked to a YouTube video which is light on description but seems to be a comparison of the "remaster" and the old versions we had. It's definitely too much of an improvement to be AI upscaling, but not so good that it's amazing, so it seems believable enough.

And actually, looking at the comparisons, I think I'd be fine if this is all we ever got. A little softness around the edges helps hide some of the roughness, I think!

But I would purchase for a 3rd time and be very happy with this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dirty posted:

I’m not sure I’d take his word for it since his sight has been going for a while. :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Watch the video. The difference is huge.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The scene of the president attempting to destroy the planet in retaliation for his obvious defeat is not reassuring at all.

I think it was pretty much a given that is how this was going to end.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

poo poo, I can actually read the Zocalo sign now

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I’ve only ever seen the DVDs and that definitely looks so much better

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm just happy that someone somewhere with decision making power has accepted that zooming and cropping to widescreen is not a superior experience to a consistent 4:3 version

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Endless Trash posted:

I’ve only ever seen the DVDs and that definitely looks so much better

It's maybe too warm on skin tones, but that's a hell of a lot better. Someone tell Amazon I'll buy the series if it gets that treatment, plus a re-render from original assets for the space scenes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

It's maybe too warm on skin tones, but that's a hell of a lot better. Someone tell Amazon I'll buy the series if it gets that treatment, plus a re-render from original assets for the space scenes.

It's not just the colour, it's the sharpness. All the lost detail is back. Short of a full 1080p remaster it's the best the show is ever going to look.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mllaneza posted:

It looks like all five seasons on Amazon Prime have the label "Remastered" across the top of the season icon. Which is exciting. They may have already done it.

Thirty bucks a season is less than I paid for the DVDs, I think.

EDIT: JMS says this about the source, but he's not sure:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1328864560200073219

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 18, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Someone should probably fire up Severed Dreams and see how it looks since that was stuck with the widescreen version even on that Vudu release

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

mllaneza posted:

You might be waiting a long time/forever for that last part. What we're getting here is the absolute bare minimum - making the best of what's already in the can. If it's broadcast masters, I guess that means this is far less work than even the DVDs, which must have been re-edited for 16:9 and had new captions etc. Which is slightly ironic if what we end up with is a much better deal.

If it's taken this long to get this apparently inexpensive and comparatively low-effort task done, we should get CGI re-renders around 2258.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 18, 2020

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The first three attempts to remaster Babylon 5 were sabotaged. The fourth vanished mere moments after hitting store shelves.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Endless Trash posted:

The first three attempts to remaster Babylon 5 were sabotaged. The fourth vanished mere moments after hitting store shelves.

Pulled into the future to help win the war against the quarantine.

originally B4 was supposed to go to the future in early treatments

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Zero posted:

Pulled into the future to help win the war against the quarantine.

originally B4 was supposed to go to the future in early treatments

And it was in the show as aired :colbert:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And it was in the show as aired :colbert:

Well, yes. Fair point I guess.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Does "The Paragon of Animals" (s5e3) on Vudu load for anyone else? I've tried off and on for a while and it just won't :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We're recently past that in our watch and didn't notice anything like that.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Along with the remastered versions online it looks like a bluray release might be coming https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/113020-1400

quote:

Also, we’re starting to hear rumors that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is cooking up a Blu-ray release of the classic Babylon 5 TV series, which would presumably involve some kind of upsampling and remastering. But a number of European retailers have set a Babylon 5: Complete Collection for tentative Blu-ray release in March. We’ll keep our eyes on this and post as we learn more.

This is apparently from someone who's leaked stuff like this before, including the LotR 4K set months before it was announced, so hopefully it's true. It'll almost certainly just be the 480p remastered versions but that's still a huge improvement

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
As is typical with these kind of things, JMS has no idea what’s going on here.

Which probably means that if this is coming, he won’t have any involvement and we’re going to get the same bonus material as we got on the DVDs (if we get that!)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

And you know what? I don't care. If true, this is still better than I have come to expect.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's possible that JMS is involved but can't say anything yet. There's a difference between an anonymous leak and something that's traceable to a single individual.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's always been pretty clear that the deal he had to sign to get B5 produced means he has no influence or control over it anymore. He retained feature film rights but literally everything else is WB's, and they don't talk to him. He says dubious poo poo at times but I think he's being truthful about having no clue what's going on and not being involved.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Something like a March 2021 release would be amazing even if it's just an upscaled broadcast master deal. I thought the Vudu version was the best one we were ever going to get, but the iTunes/Prime video sampler looked better for sure, and I have no doubt that's the stuff that's gonna be on the discs.

I can't believe I'm already thinking another rewatch even though I just did one this spring/summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Are we at the point of doing AI upscaling, like they can do with video games? Or is that still a ways away? I guess you'd need to do it frame by frame, but it seems achievable.