Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«39 »
Milky Moor
Aug 27, 2006

I'm a huge fan of B5 but I don't think any other stories beyond the B5 story really work. It's not like Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Grand Fromage posted:

Rebooting B5 would be dumb, but the setting has plenty of room for another series in it.

It'd be good to pair Ron Moore with someone to do a good depiction of The Dilgar War.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Tell him about the Twinkie.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

O my God, please please let this happen. I have goose bumps just thinking about it. And my eyes are beginning to tear up.

It's literally never going to happen unless Straczynski surrenders the IP rights. For many projects, new scans are not in the cards financially, or are only profitable if a company acquires all rights. Television shows only compound your costs, since the consumer isn't paying the same per hour for TV as they would for a film project.

And even when a company has all rights, sometimes there still isn't enough revenue to make the financials work. Look at all the classic TV shows that CBS started scanning in HD, but did not finish.

It's definitely cheaper than, say, the TNG in HD project, but that doesn't mean it's cheap.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Let's get our doughnut on

I don't think Babylon 5 needs a reboot or a new series.

My deep, weird love for B5 comes from it's epicness and, at the time, newness. There was nothing quite like it. The story was huge in scope and the serial nature was such a refreshing change from Star Trek. Retelling that story today, while I'm sure it could be done well, isn't really necessary. We've got that story. I don't need to see it again, or an alternative version. What's the point? And while you could say that about any reboot, Babylon 5's core strength was it's mostly pre-planned story. The core ingredients for other reboots are generally the setting and characters, but I don't think B5's are strong enough alone to warrant that. Telling a different story with the same characters would seem pointless.

And I feel similar about any new series - there may be room for other stories in that universe, but it somehow feels unnecessary. It's hard to imagine a story that really requires the setting, and that wouldn't seem like either a retread or an anti-climax after the epoch-defining story of B5.

All I'd really like from B5 at this point is a decent print of it. And I'd like creators to make really good space shows that I like as much as B5.

turn left hillary!! noo
Feb 12, 2002

Komrade Hitlerstalin
EX-GAIJIN AT LAST

Yeah. Ideally I'd like a camera-negative widescreen transfer remastered with cropped scans of the VFX portions of the 35mm master in the vault, even more than a hypothetical VFX upgrade or whatever. A pristine version of essentially what's on the DVDs. I'd sure take a simple 4:3 HD transfer of that master though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

V-Men posted:

It'd be good to pair Ron Moore with someone to do a good depiction of The Dilgar War.

No.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What do you have a problem with entire plot arcs being resolved by literally drawing names from a hat?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

ensign dwarf, set a course for getting blitzed the fuck out

warp factor nine

Doctor Zero posted:

What do you have a problem with entire plot arcs being resolved by literally drawing names from a hat?

I heard it was a dartboard

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I didn't say he should be in charge of it. He just needs to be paired with someone who can actually conclude arcs and think of endings to a story. Nobody complained about his work on DS9.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I heard it was a dartboard

Also pretty sure it was a spinning wheel thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milky Moor
Aug 27, 2006

The Dilgar War would be such a boring story.

«39 »