Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sebmojo posted:

The doctor guessing vorlons as angels is, well... Hmm.

I may be thinking of a different scene but isn't there a bright light, sound of wings, and a fuckin' harp playing? I know that happens at least once but I don't remember if it was after.

E: Yeah I just watched it. Light, wings, harp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can remember speculation along those lines before the season 2 finale aired. It's hinted at pretty hard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh, k then

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rewatching that scene it's so unsubtle I'm amazed I didn't notice it the first time around. But, hindsight.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

Rewatching that scene it's so unsubtle I'm amazed I didn't notice it the first time around. But, hindsight.

Hindsight is what? HINDSIGHT IS WHAT?! SAY IT! SAY IIIIT!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hindsight is what? HINDSIGHT IS WHAT?! SAY IT! SAY IIIIT!

A three edged sword.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

The_Doctor posted:

Did Kosh know? Could he sense the sleeper personality and was trying to examine it? Does he have a copy of Talia’s personality on a data crystal? Can she be restored from backup? :ohdear:
Aww, I woulda liked if this happened.

Something for fanfic to address, I guess

*triple checks thread title to make sure it's the right one*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The doctor guessing vorlons as angels is, well... Hmm.

They were already talking about Childhood's End in theorizing what the Vorlons could be, which seems like an easy springboard for that.

Also there was that one scene where Kosh showed Delenn his true form in a flash of light in Season 1, that seems like a pretty big hint.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Another big hint is that the Shadows are set up as the opposites of the Vorlons and they look pretty demonic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah I guess that's all legit :bahgawd:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I found the reference to Lyta possibly going to Vorlon space a lot more suspicious.

But it's difficult to compare the reaction of modern, genre savy viewers with our first views, when we could watch one episode a week at most. And unless we had VCR, couldn't rewatch episodes. And rewinding VCRs was a lot less user friendly than jumping to a specific time stamp like you can do with modern videos.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ayin posted:

Aww, I woulda liked if this happened.

Something for fanfic to address, I guess

*triple checks thread title to make sure it's the right one*

That was originally the plan but Talia’s actor left the show and they brought back Lyta. Doing the same thing with Lyta would have been too much so JMS just dropped it.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Torrannor posted:

I found the reference to Lyta possibly going to Vorlon space a lot more suspicious.
She talks about it rather extensively in Divided Loyalties.

Doctor Zero posted:

That was originally the plan but Talia’s actor left the show and they brought back Lyta. Doing the same thing with Lyta would have been too much so JMS just dropped it.
Awwwww :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ayin posted:

Awwwww :(

Yeah, Thompson wanted to do something more high-profile than a low-budget, syndicated TV show, so she jumped to JAG and then NYPD Blue before she went to work for CNN.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know the specific timelines, but Thompson and Doyle were divorced by 1997, so their relationship was probably not great around the time that she left the show.

I liked Talia better than Lyta as a character, but I think seasons 3 and 4 probably wouldn't have worked as well if the replacement hadn't been made.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know the specific timelines, but Thompson and Doyle were divorced by 1997, so their relationship was probably not great around the time that she left the show.

They got married right around the time she left, in 1995.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

I liked Talia better than Lyta as a character, but I think seasons 3 and 4 probably wouldn't have worked as well if the replacement hadn't been made.

Lyta was good when the writing was good, byron would have been 1000% better if she had been written as an effective foil to him

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Lyta was good when the writing was good, byron would have been 1000% better if she had been written as an effective foil to him

Sunk cost: JMS had an excellent plot to make Ivanova's life awful, and then Christian left late in the day and he was up against a faster production deadline because of the shortened schedule and lower budgets with TNT. He should have scrapped or reworked more extensively; not doing so left Lyta something of a non-entity for the Byron subplot.

If he'd gotten to late S5 Lyta sooner that might have fixed the problem. Instead of a large subgroup of Byron's followers being murderous thugs, have Lyta be the militant he's desperately trying to rein in.

Also, glad to have you modding the newbie thread. My immediate thought was to post "No mercy!" in that thread but that would have been amazingly stupid.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I did say it in discord though. Rule with an iron fist!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
I was poking around on wikipedia, as one does, when I learned that Ardwight Chamberlain, voice of Kosh, also adapted a shitload of anime scripts

Including a quarter of the first season of Digimon

he retitled the first episode "AND SO IT BEGINS"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ayin posted:

I was poking around on wikipedia, as one does, when I learned that Ardwight Chamberlain, voice of Kosh, also adapted a shitload of anime scripts

Including a quarter of the first season of Digimon

he retitled the first episode "AND SO IT BEGINS"

"THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR 'MON"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have stayed up way too late watching the holy trinity of S3. But there was no way I was going to watch Messages From Earth and let those cliffhangers lie.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Will people please stop bumblefucking into the newbie thread to prove that they know more than the blind watchers and have a DEEPER APPRECIATION for certain scenes?

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR 'MON"
You have forgotten something*

* he may have done this ep too, I don't quite remember
also spoilers for season 1 digimon i guess!

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
Y'all got me watching it again. Just got through The Long Twilight Struggle, and I'd forgotten just how powerfully John Schuck can overpower any scene he's in. The guy's the perfect incarnation of Larger Than Life. I really wish they'd used him more.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The talk about the viewing order in the newbie thread reminded me of one of the oddest scheduling choices with the movies - The River of Souls, which was set after everyone left B5, was broadcast before Objects at Rest, so slightly spoiling that episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Looks like Boxleitner might have some work coming up - Jared Leto just let slip that TRON 3 is coming.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Good for Boxleitner, but god drat I hate Jared Leto. He's the worst part of every film he's in and I don't understand why anyone wants to work with him given the stories about how he treats people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Good for Boxleitner, but god drat I hate Jared Leto. He's the worst part of every film he's in and I don't understand why anyone wants to work with him given the stories about how he treats people.

It's very likely that Leto will be the villain. TRON Legacy's main weakness was not having a villain as hissable as David Warner, so that appears to be covered.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

It's very likely that Leto will be the villain. TRON Legacy's main weakness was not having a villain as hissable as David Warner, so that appears to be covered.

And Bruce/Tron/Whatever-his-character's-name-that-wasn't-Tron is going to blast him STRAIGHT TO HELL!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

And Bruce/Tron/Whatever-his-character's-name-that-wasn't-Tron is going to blast him STRAIGHT TO HELL!

Rinzler. Which I recall because the character is named for movie historian JW Rinzler, who did a very good Making of Alien which I got for my birthday this year.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

What was wrong with fascist CGI Jeff Bridges? :laugh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also there was that one scene where Kosh showed Delenn his true form in a flash of light in Season 1, that seems like a pretty big hint.

Complete with sound of wings.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Considering he's one step away from being a cult leader in real life (see details about his mediocre band that somehow grooms its fans into a cult) he should lean into the villain roles more. I thought he was decent in Blade Runner 2049. Weirdly enough I saw this old movie called Lord Of Illusions and thought he would actually be a decent fit for the main baddie Nix.

Tron Legacy was alright (Jeff Bridges did what he could) but something just didn't click. I don't blame anyone in particular except maybe the male lead as he just didn't seem to have that certain IT. Michael Sheen is incredible as always and should have been around more. The soundtrack is top notch and the film is beautiful to watch but I always relegate it to background noise. David Warner is always brilliant though and anything suffers from his lack of presence. They could make a film about David Warner, Patrick Stewart, Brian Blessed and some other fourth just sitting around drinking and telling about their life for hours and I would watch it.

From Blind Watch thread and on topic: The orbital bombing of the Narn. I still think that scene holds up but what do you guys think? If they had a giant budget would you have included scenes of the devastation of Narn? If someone in the future did redo B5 it might be kinda cool to toss in scenes of the different planets but it would take away some of that "stage play" feel. Not saying I want someone new (aside from maybe one person depending on how he does with Dune) to remake B5 but I wonder if it could be done, should it be done?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No, I think it was perfect as is. We get the horror from London, but G'kar's speech is what delivers the devastation

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you were remaking B5 now, the graphics would essentially be free, so you can show whatever you want. The issue is that you still only get about 42 minutes per episode, and you have to spend that on what's important to the story. Londo is, and the Narn homeworld isn't.

e: Another interesting thing to think about is that if you're watching the show now you know that all five seasons were produced. That means you're missing out on a major part of the experience we had way back when. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think it's nothing either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

No, I think it was perfect as is. We get the horror from London, but G'kar's speech is what delivers the devastation

This. Watching characters react to destruction rather than showing it is often more horrifying and impactful than seeing the destruction on screen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

From Blind Watch thread and on topic: The orbital bombing of the Narn. I still think that scene holds up but what do you guys think? If they had a giant budget would you have included scenes of the devastation of Narn? If someone in the future did redo B5 it might be kinda cool to toss in scenes of the different planets but it would take away some of that "stage play" feel. Not saying I want someone new (aside from maybe one person depending on how he does with Dune) to remake B5 but I wonder if it could be done, should it be done?

No. The fall of Narn is not the important part of the fall of Narn. The important part is putting us in Londo's position as he watches, insulated by distance but knowing that he's crossed a line that he can never return from. Seeing the destruction from the ground would just be splashy effects for the sake of it, as well as lending us the perspective of the victims - which is G'Kar's job.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
What I do think you do is in a later episode or two (like the one where G'Kar has to arrange for messages from Homeworld to be smuggled onto the station), you have very brief (2-4 second) footage of the devastation afterward.

It's like Chris Crawford's decision in his computer game about the cold war not to do animated graphics if you trigger a nuclear conflict: there will always be people who see the explosions and other effects as neat and a reward instead of horrifying.

Ships blowing up is cool, even if characters are dying. So show the effects on Narn in a way which underlines how not cool things are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

B5 is about the characters more than anything. Which is why we always get shots of the characters watching even the space battles and reacting to it.

And why that one time we see a ground action go poorly and everyone dies felt so weird and a lot of folks didn't like it. We're watching this show to see the reaction of the main cast really.