Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What was the objection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just that it was such an insane conspiracy theory that nobody would believe it, so it was a dumb plotline.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Just that it was such an insane conspiracy theory that nobody would believe it, so it was a dumb plotline.

Having Delenn running around as exactly that makes it insanely easy to land that accusation against the rest of the station. Watching the show gives you perspective that a TV watcher on Earth or even a lot of EarthGov officials wouldn’t have.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grand Fromage posted:

Simpler times :unsmith:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Grand Fromage posted:

I was listening to their episode about “Voices of Authority” (s3e5), and they complained about how ridiculous and over-the-top the political officer was. If the last four years have taught us anything, it’s that a) fascists are often ridiculous and buffoonish, and 2) this makes almost no difference.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember when I first watched the show I thought it was real dumb that Clark had so much support since it was patently obvious to anyone that he'd assassinated Santiago and was a fascist. I did not have those thoughts in my current rewatch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's ridiculous about it now is that there's any semblance of finesse instead of being big huge and blustering.

So much of it sounds ridiculous until you just see or feel the social pressure firsthand. It's crazy stuff. I only hope the lessons people have learned now wind up lasting into the future instead of some kind of "return to normalcy" farce covering it all up so it can happen all over again. Or continuing to happen without any interruption.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Did Clark have that much genuine support, though? In that sense of 'I'm surprised he had so much.' I always got the impression that there weren't many genuine Clarkists but there were a shitload of people who were scared to speak out or act against him because he'd execute and/or disappear them. When it came down to it, something like half of Earthforce turned against him and the moment there was no threat of reprisal there were people marching on his office. But he has Psi Corps and Nightwatch and so on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The guy who replaces General Hague mentions he has majority support from the public in Severed Dreams.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Remember that even before Clark we're talking about a government that regularly sends troops in to 'put down' colonial rebellions.

The people of Babylon 5 are unusually liberal, rather than representing wider Earth Alliance attitudes. It's more like Mars than Earth.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The Name of the Pod had a complaint I just heard about the bizarre and patently absurd conspiracy theory about B5 doing human hybrid experiments during the ISN episode in season 4, and while I get the objection at the time, it's hilarious listening to it now in the age of QAnon.

SaintFu posted:

I was listening to their episode about “Voices of Authority” (s3e5), and they complained about how ridiculous and over-the-top the political officer was. If the last four years have taught us anything, it’s that a) fascists are often ridiculous and buffoonish, and 2) this makes almost no difference.

What can I say, 2019 was several decades ago and we were innocent young men.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

head58 posted:

What can I say, 2019 was several decades ago and we were innocent young men.

Oh yeah, no shade, it's just amazing listening to it in 2020.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Lochley giving Sheridan poo poo for rebelling against an earth government that was literally controlled by ancient demon aliens was always baffling to me pre-2016, alas

head58
Apr 1, 2013

We were also trying super hard to not be overtly political wrt current US politics, because we really didn’t want to deal with idiots writing to tell us that actually Homeguard was more like Antifa and Earthgov was clearly the Hillary Clinton administration and furthermore

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

Did Clark have that much genuine support, though? In that sense of 'I'm surprised he had so much.' I always got the impression that there weren't many genuine Clarkists but there were a shitload of people who were scared to speak out or act against him because he'd execute and/or disappear them. When it came down to it, something like half of Earthforce turned against him and the moment there was no threat of reprisal there were people marching on his office. But he has Psi Corps and Nightwatch and so on.

Earth is said to be solidly supportive. I think part of the problem is that a vocal minority of supporters plus propaganda would make it difficult for people who oppose Clark to tell whether or not they're in the minority. Given the harassment we see from Nightwatch on the station, we can only guess how much worse things are on Earth.

If you only watch Fox News and read the New York Post and the Washington Times, you'd be convinced that the vast majority of Americans support Trump and that other media are lying to you. Clark's regime would be even more effective at controlling the media, I imagine, given that they have both Psi Corps and Mr. Morden's friends to support them. People aren't that hard to fool, in aggregate, and that's without adding factionalism to the equation. Recall that Earth was almost completely depopulated within living memory; I rather imagine the bunker mentality that experience produced would have had a larger impact than 9/11 did in the US.

B5 played differently during the invasion of Iraq, too. It's unfortunate how often it seems to be applicable to the world we live in.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

The guy who replaces General Hague mentions he has majority support from the public in Severed Dreams.

All dictators have huge majorities of support, on the surface, as long as their goons stay loyal.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Horizon Burning posted:

I got the impression that even if they weren't genuine Clarkists, they still thought he was doing a good job representing Earth interests, sort of like how people don't like Trump but they think he's doing a good job handling the economy and that he was Santiago's VP so how bad could he be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

V-Men posted:

I got the impression that even if they weren't genuine Clarkists, they still thought he was doing a good job representing Earth interests, sort of like how people don't like Trump but they think he's doing a good job handling the economy and that he was Santiago's VP so how bad could he be.

So what you're saying is that Clark is Biden?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Can we not do this here? We have two whole forums and about fifty million other threads to bitch about the upcoming election in.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Midjack posted:

Can we not do this here? We have two whole forums and about fifty million other threads to bitch about the upcoming election in.

The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for pebbles to vote.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Clark was elected as vice president and arranged for his president’s death to become president.

Obama is not dead. Nor is Trump, so I have no idea what you think you’re talking about.

If you assume the majority of people think the former president died in an accident or a potential terrorist attack (it was probably aliens), I don’t think there’s a point of comparison to be made, but the one the show deliberately sets up is LBJ after JFK’s assassination. The only alternative I see that would fit the circumstances is Dick Cheney becoming president on an alternate 9/11 where a plane hit the White House and killed President Bush.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Narsham posted:

Clark was elected as vice president and arranged for his president’s death to become president.

Obama is not dead. Nor is Trump, so I have no idea what you think you’re talking about.

If you assume the majority of people think the former president died in an accident or a potential terrorist attack (it was probably aliens), I don’t think there’s a point of comparison to be made, but the one the show deliberately sets up is LBJ after JFK’s assassination. The only alternative I see that would fit the circumstances is Dick Cheney becoming president on an alternate 9/11 where a plane hit the White House and killed President Bush.

In the 2000s it was a common belief among those on the political left that Cheney was in some way angling for the Oval Office, and that GWB would die in office or be forced to resign, leaving Cheney to take office. In the B5 discussion Usenet group I used to hang out in the comparison was made quite often.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sounds kinda ridiculous considering how W just delegated to Cheney all the power he could ever want out of high office without any of the trouble of having to appear in any way likable to court the electorate.

B5 doesn't really elaborate much on Earth's internal politics, but I assume that Santiago took Clark to widen his base. Clark did have an unprecedented endorsement from Psycorp, so some kinda crazy political maneuvering was happening. Or maybe Earth has some kind of ridiculous system where the runner up in a primary or something automatically becomes VP, so Clark got the office while being radically different from Santiago. There's no particular reason to assume that their government is well-structured.

Presumably there's a bunch of issues aside from international space policy, and it wouldn't be surprising if foreign relations was actually one of the least important to human politics, because that's how it is in America. Ivanova voted on the basis of whose face she liked better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In the 2000s it was a common belief among those on the political left that Cheney was in some way angling for the Oval Office, and that GWB would die in office or be forced to resign, leaving Cheney to take office. In the B5 discussion Usenet group I used to hang out in the comparison was made quite often.

I remember JMS posted once that a White House staffer told him Bush and Cheney were big B5 fans. Never sure whether to believe JMS' stories though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Politicians are weird people with weird opinions on fiction that presents commentary on them.

I don't think anything can top Margaret Thatcher being a fan of Yes Minister and trying to do a lovely little skit with them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember JMS posted once that a White House staffer told him Bush and Cheney were big B5 fans. Never sure whether to believe JMS' stories though.

That's easy to believe. Clarke is clearly Lyndon B. Johnson to JFKs Santiago. They even remade his inauguration.

Sheridan is Nixon Reagan in this scenario.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

It wasn't some White House staffer, it was Karl Rove. And he didn't tell JMS, he told Bruce Boxleitner (according to JMS). And Cheney wasn't mentioned. I don't imagine he watched a lot of sci-fi.

Boxleitner is right-wing, and Jerry Doyle was definitely closer to the Bush/Cheney side of things than to the Clinton side of things. And Rove is unquestionably a nerd.

The JMS Usenet post:
http://worldsofjms.com/usenet/post/021126a.htm

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Suppose it shouldn't come as that big of a surprise that John "nuke'em See you in Hell" Sheridan would be right leaning. but it still hurts :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At least a few of Garibaldi's more rightwing lines were taken from stuff Jerry Doyle said in earshot of JMS.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

McCloud posted:

Suppose it shouldn't come as that big of a surprise that John "nuke'em See you in Hell" Sheridan would be right leaning. but it still hurts :(

Same :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lol you guys have 90% of entertainment and media on your side, throw us a bone now and then

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ultrafilter posted:

At least a few of Garibaldi's more rightwing lines were taken from stuff Jerry Doyle said in earshot of JMS.

Doyle hosted a radio show that was basically discount Alex Jones in terms of right-wing nutbag bullshit.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

lol you guys have 90% of entertainment and media on your side, throw us a bone now and then

*glass tinkle noise* No. *glass tinkle noise*

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Narsham posted:

Boxleitner is right-wing,
The JMS Usenet post:
http://worldsofjms.com/usenet/post/021126a.htm

That certainly puts his character in Supergirl in a slightly different perspective.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

V-Men posted:

That certainly puts his character in Supergirl in a slightly different perspective.

But nobody is going to say that Alan Bradley in the TRON movies is particularly right wing. Even Sheridan isn't especially right wing when considered as a whole. Jerry Doyle may have been Garibaldi, but then he was a broker who decided to have a go at acting; JMS shaped the part around the man because it got a better performance out of him. Boxleitner is an actor, and more than capable of not being himself on screen.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

But nobody is going to say that Alan Bradley in the TRON movies is particularly right wing. Even Sheridan isn't especially right wing when considered as a whole. Jerry Doyle may have been Garibaldi, but then he was a broker who decided to have a go at acting; JMS shaped the part around the man because it got a better performance out of him. Boxleitner is an actor, and more than capable of not being himself on screen.

I sure wish I could find that speech the future Earthers make Sheridan give about blazing a path across the galaxy through the blood of alien children.

But I def agree with you. Honestly Boxleitner can still deliver a stirring enough speech that I'd follow him into battle.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
https://streamable.com/7ui8ik

According to JMS's commentary on the episode, Boxleitner spent a while studying Hitler's mannerisms for that speech.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Vavrek posted:

https://streamable.com/7ui8ik

According to JMS's commentary on the episode, Boxleitner spent a while studying Hitler's mannerisms for that speech.

Aw they left out my favorite part:

"Through your blood and the blood of your children, we will blaze a path across the galaxy. What we cannot take by force, we will win by subversion. And... in the end... we will bury you."

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

V-Men posted:

The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for pebbles to vote.

This made me laugh way too hard. Danke.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

ZRM posted:

*glass tinkle noise* No. *glass tinkle noise*

Hah... you guys are making me die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babylon 5 is an extremely good show.