Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ZOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well that's a loving snipe.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I figured it spoke for itself, as it were

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just watched Soul Mates. The bit where Susan asks Delenn if she tried washing her hair with water and she acts like the thought never occurred to her has me wondering about male Minbari who grow beards. Are their beards like really grody, or are they brittle because they use the exfoliant Delenn mentions on them?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Just watched Soul Mates. The bit where Susan asks Delenn if she tried washing her hair with water and she acts like the thought never occurred to her has me wondering about male Minbari who grow beards. Are their beards like really grody, or are they brittle because they use the exfoliant Delenn mentions on them?

Flarn also acts as beard wax.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the little karate poses Lennier does when threatened

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Well thinking about the difference between beard hair and scalp hair makes me immediately jump to the question of whether Minbari have body hair.

I guess it'd be interesting if there were some other kinds of differences for species beneath the neck. G'kar has been shirtless with spots that go all the way down, and we've learned too much about Londo's weiner.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well thinking about the difference between beard hair and scalp hair makes me immediately jump to the question of whether Minbari have body hair.

I think it's one of those things you have to chalk up to 'it's TV'. Minbari have no head hair, or eyebrows, but some Minbari have and cultivate beards and moustaches, and it's not clear if they have any other body hair. Any of the answers that fit what we see don't really make a lot of sense unless Minbari chose to engineer themselves to have just that specific bit of hair (or maybe the Vorlons did for some inscrutable reason). I think it would make sense if the Minbari 'actually' had no hair at all, and that the facial hair we see is just an 'unrealistic' affectation of the TV show, but that's not

quote:

I guess it'd be interesting if there were some other kinds of differences for species beneath the neck. G'kar has been shirtless with spots that go all the way down, and we've learned too much about Londo's weiner.

you left off the 's', Centauri have six :) We know from various parts of the show and Crusade that humans and aliens have a decent amount of sex, but the biology doesn't have to be especially compatible for that to work, so there are probably wide variations in what form and equipment the 'covered by robes' parts of the body have. Especially with technology in the mix, do those Centauri women have some kind of fancy programmable six vibrator rig sitting around at home?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gyrotica posted:

As an aside, there could be lots of reasons other First Ones don't do it.

#1: It conveys some kind of actual technical disadvantage (as you posit), but the Shadows do it for Shadow reasons (they think it looks really cool and ominous).
#2: They never figured out how the Shadows do it. This is not particularly far-fetched: while they might have been around a million years, the technology could be fiendishly complex, and there are real-world examples of much simpler technology we just straight up lost that we can't reproduce accurately or only did so fairly recently (like the whole Damascus steel deal, and IIRC some kind of special welding they perfected in WW2 for ships but got lost afterward - can't find the source, maybe made that one up?)
#3: They know how to do it, but the Shadows did it first, and they don't want to look like they need it.

Personally I like the options that play into First One pettiness and hubris.

There’s an extra point to the Shadows using pilots as they do: the Shadows claim that species grow stronger through conflict. But the key way in which they’ve lost their own way is that they do not believe this seriously for themselves: the Shadows can sit at “home” and fight an entire war through their proxy pilots. Now, they might do that because individual Shadows seem more vulnerable than Vorlons (compare the trouble with Ulkesh’s death versus Londo’s guards gunning down the two Shadows with Morden), but really it’s because they already consider themselves fully evolved. They knock over anthills, but they aren’t considering themselves as ants.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Narsham posted:

There’s an extra point to the Shadows using pilots as they do: the Shadows claim that species grow stronger through conflict. But the key way in which they’ve lost their own way is that they do not believe this seriously for themselves: the Shadows can sit at “home” and fight an entire war through their proxy pilots. Now, they might do that because individual Shadows seem more vulnerable than Vorlons (compare the trouble with Ulkesh’s death versus Londo’s guards gunning down the two Shadows with Morden), but really it’s because they already consider themselves fully evolved. They knock over anthills, but they aren’t considering themselves as ants.

Also when the shadows fought Kosh it took multiple shadows enough time to kill him that he had a whole conversation with Sheridan while the fight was going on. The explanation for Ulkesh could just be that non-first-one weapons aren't that effective on Vorlons, but the Shadows killing Kosh would have access to Shadow tech and were expecting to fight a Vorlon so presumably would come loaded for bear energy squid.

I think it's interesting that the philosophy of the Shadows is about chaotic, individual advancement but individual Vorlons are much stronger than individual Shadows. You'd think the 'gain power through struggle' faction would be stronger individually, but they're clearly not.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I think it's interesting that the philosophy of the Shadows is about chaotic, individual advancement but individual Vorlons are much stronger than individual Shadows. You'd think the 'gain power through struggle' faction would be stronger individually, but they're clearly not.

It fits well IMO. The Shadows are individually weak so they focus on inducing chaos and struggle on the younger races so as to lead them indirectly. The Vorlons are individually strong so they lead much more directly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Also when the shadows fought Kosh it took multiple shadows enough time to kill him that he had a whole conversation with Sheridan while the fight was going on. The explanation for Ulkesh could just be that non-first-one weapons aren't that effective on Vorlons, but the Shadows killing Kosh would have access to Shadow tech and were expecting to fight a Vorlon so presumably would come loaded for bear energy squid.

There are also fewer Vorlons. The Vorlons achieved their perceived perfection through advancement of the individual, but the Shadows did it through advancement of the masses. After all, you can't gain power through struggle if there's nobody to struggle against.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are there actually fewer Vorlons or are they just more reticent to leave their planet since they can't go invisible?

I guess living technology would also blur things there.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are there actually fewer Vorlons or are they just more reticent to leave their planet since they can't go invisible?

Well, we never really hear back from the census workers we send, so...

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

ultrafilter posted:

It fits well IMO. The Shadows are individually weak so they focus on inducing chaos and struggle on the younger races so as to lead them indirectly. The Vorlons are individually strong so they lead much more directly.

They have a philosophy that constant individual struggle leads to strength and that working together leads to weakness, but that hasn't applied to them. If they're constantly engaged in struggle and conflict, it should lead to tough individual shadows who are prepared to hold their position with strength. They don't have to start with the ability, it could be advanced mental powers, some kind of link to hyperspace, or technological devices like power armor or force fields, but I'd expect them to be capable of dealing with a surprise attack from one of their companions, and certainly with a couple of primitive Centauri guards.

Justin says "It's really simple. You bring two sides together. They fight. A lot of them die, but those who survive are stronger, smarter and better."
"It's like knocking over an ant-hill. Every new generation gets stronger, the ant-hill gets redesigned, made better."

But that doesn't seem to have actually applied to the Shadows, they haven't gotten stronger, smarter, and better the way the Vorlons have. It does fit with the idea that they've lost their way and aren't actually living the philosophy they're supposed to exemplify.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 28, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I believe it's mentioned at one point - by Lorien IIRC, and he'd know - that the Vorlons are few in number. But you're making me doubt now, and it could have been Delenn who said it. If it was then her information could be inaccurate.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It's Kosh that mentions the Vorlon are few in number, it's his initial excuse for them not intervening personally in the conflict when Sheridan requests help - which turns out to mean few sympathetic Vorlon who actually care about the younger races, not as an entire race because when they take the gloves off and start attacking the Shadows directly, they certainly don't appear to be few in number

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well, given the intelligence of their ships they probably don't need much in the way of crews. I can imagine most Vorlon ships only having one or two of them aboard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, given the intelligence of their ships they probably don't need much in the way of crews. I can imagine most Vorlon ships only having one or two of them aboard.

Or even none. Kosh's ship flew uncrewed on at least one occasion. But yeah, I'd be ready to assume that every Vorlon ship had only a single pilot.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It's easy to imagine a situation where the Shadows are acting openly and are seen as heroic while the Vorlons manipulate in the background and are obvious villains. For that matter, if JMS hadn't been trying to do the "Vorlons seem good but everything they actually do isn't, while Shadows seem evil but some of the things they do are good" twist, it'd be possible to have both factions operating openly from the start of the show.

Ironically, I'd guess either that both would have supported the Narn-Centauri war (that it should be fought, not taking sides), or that they'd have split with the Shadows supporting the Narn and the Vorlons supporting the Centauri. It's interesting that I never spent much time thinking about that conflict in terms of anything outside of the past Narn conflict with the Shadows and the Morden-and-Shadows influence over Londo and Refa and their faction. If the Shadows didn't want to neutralize the Narn and hadn't liked Londo's "what do you want" answer so much, where might they actually fall in terms of broader ideology? And where would the Vorlons fall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I think it's one of those things you have to chalk up to 'it's TV'. Minbari have no head hair, or eyebrows, but some Minbari have and cultivate beards and moustaches, and it's not clear if they have any other body hair. Any of the answers that fit what we see don't really make a lot of sense unless Minbari chose to engineer themselves to have just that specific bit of hair (or maybe the Vorlons did for some inscrutable reason). I think it would make sense if the Minbari 'actually' had no hair at all, and that the facial hair we see is just an 'unrealistic' affectation of the TV show, but that's not

Maybe only the Minbari that are a descendent of Valen can grow beards?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

We know from various parts of the show and Crusade that humans and aliens have a decent amount of sex, but the biology doesn't have to be especially compatible for that to work, so there are probably wide variations in what form and equipment the 'covered by robes' parts of the body have. Especially with technology in the mix, do those Centauri women have some kind of fancy programmable six vibrator rig sitting around at home?

Human-made massage chairs are VERY popular back on the Homeworld!

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
An internet friend of mine started up a "watch B5 week-by-week" and while she and the others are newbs I've seen this show too many times as it is. We just got up to Deathwalker and I was impressed. I always remembered it as a mid-tier episode between two great episodes but it's actually a fascinating little one-off that I assume might have managed to have payoff if Andrea Thompson hadn't had to leave in the middle of season two. My only complaint is that Sinclair's deescalation of the League ship threat seems a little abrupt. Anyone else have any episodes they remembered as kinda "meh" that really shone on a rewatch?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It always throws me that TKO has *that* main plot and then the Ivanova sitting shiva for her father subplot which is really good character stuff

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

hope and vaseline posted:

It always throws me that TKO has *that* main plot and then the Ivanova sitting shiva for her father subplot which is really good character stuff

I'll be watching that episode next week... Not looking forward to the main plot.

Yesterday I rewatched "Signs and Portents" and it was all I could do not to rant incessantly about how fun a villain Mr. Morden is to the newbies since at this point he hasn't done too much yet.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Ed Wasser has so much fun with that character. He comes off as charismatic and a little annoying early on, then he's charming but so slimy you just want to punch him (or threaten to put his head on a pike), then when things are falling apart the mask cracks and he does a lot more intimidation than persuasion. Really great villain performance.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wasser nailed the 'oily dickhead businessman' vibe perfectly. He was one of my favorite characters in a series full of great ones.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ed Wasser has so much fun with that character. He comes off as charismatic and a little annoying early on, then he's charming but so slimy you just want to punch him (or threaten to put his head on a pike), then when things are falling apart the mask cracks and he does a lot more intimidation than persuasion. Really great villain performance.

He's a bridge extra in an early episode, and i think canonically he is a different character but i like to think that's just Deep Cover Morden

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I would have loved a really solid scene between Morden and Cartagia. Both actors do different kinds of evil so well.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

sebmojo posted:

He's a bridge extra in an early episode, and i think canonically he is a different character but i like to think that's just Deep Cover Morden

The only continuity problem with that being 'really' part of the show that I can think of is that he's shown to travel under his own ID which says deceased later on, you'd think he'd have a better cover ID. Maybe he's just arrogant once he's in position as liason to important people and doesn't bother with that kind of detail anymore.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Why no Zathras Day?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

In the pilot, at that. Canonically he is a different character, his part has a name.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

In the pilot, at that. Canonically he is a different character, his part has a name.

DEEP COVER MORDEN

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Jedit posted:

Are you saying that the Shadow's hacking tech can't change a character name in a set of credits? Seems pretty simple for First One tech.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Last Call posted:

Why no Zathras Day?

Because no one listens to Zathras.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Last Call posted:

Why no Zathras Day?

Because everyone celebrate different Zathras, everyone being too confoosed.

Bad idea.

Very bad idea.

Zathras said as much to begin with, and Zathras gave up on it altogether because nobody celebrate the work he does.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sebmojo posted:

He's only in the Pilot episode (which not everyone watches), then shows up as Mr Morden. :)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe only the Minbari that are a descendent of Valen can grow beards?

Dukhat had a beard, and JMS said he wasn't a descendant of Valen. It's just a rarity among the Minbari, like human redheads.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just Another Lurker posted:

He's only in the Pilot episode (which not everyone watches), then shows up as Mr Morden. :)

exactly, deep cover morden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Guy from the bridge in the pilot got reassigned to deep space exploration, then “came back” in the same way Anna came back.