Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm a huge fan of B5 but I don't think any other stories beyond the B5 story really work. It's not like Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Grand Fromage posted:

Rebooting B5 would be dumb, but the setting has plenty of room for another series in it.

It'd be good to pair Ron Moore with someone to do a good depiction of The Dilgar War.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

O my God, please please let this happen. I have goose bumps just thinking about it. And my eyes are beginning to tear up.

It's literally never going to happen unless Straczynski surrenders the IP rights. For many projects, new scans are not in the cards financially, or are only profitable if a company acquires all rights. Television shows only compound your costs, since the consumer isn't paying the same per hour for TV as they would for a film project.

And even when a company has all rights, sometimes there still isn't enough revenue to make the financials work. Look at all the classic TV shows that CBS started scanning in HD, but did not finish.

It's definitely cheaper than, say, the TNG in HD project, but that doesn't mean it's cheap.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I don't think Babylon 5 needs a reboot or a new series.

My deep, weird love for B5 comes from it's epicness and, at the time, newness. There was nothing quite like it. The story was huge in scope and the serial nature was such a refreshing change from Star Trek. Retelling that story today, while I'm sure it could be done well, isn't really necessary. We've got that story. I don't need to see it again, or an alternative version. What's the point? And while you could say that about any reboot, Babylon 5's core strength was it's mostly pre-planned story. The core ingredients for other reboots are generally the setting and characters, but I don't think B5's are strong enough alone to warrant that. Telling a different story with the same characters would seem pointless.

And I feel similar about any new series - there may be room for other stories in that universe, but it somehow feels unnecessary. It's hard to imagine a story that really requires the setting, and that wouldn't seem like either a retread or an anti-climax after the epoch-defining story of B5.

All I'd really like from B5 at this point is a decent print of it. And I'd like creators to make really good space shows that I like as much as B5.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah. Ideally I'd like a camera-negative widescreen transfer remastered with cropped scans of the VFX portions of the 35mm master in the vault, even more than a hypothetical VFX upgrade or whatever. A pristine version of essentially what's on the DVDs. I'd sure take a simple 4:3 HD transfer of that master though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

V-Men posted:

It'd be good to pair Ron Moore with someone to do a good depiction of The Dilgar War.

No.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What do you have a problem with entire plot arcs being resolved by literally drawing names from a hat?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Zero posted:

What do you have a problem with entire plot arcs being resolved by literally drawing names from a hat?

I heard it was a dartboard :v:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I didn't say he should be in charge of it. He just needs to be paired with someone who can actually conclude arcs and think of endings to a story. Nobody complained about his work on DS9.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I heard it was a dartboard :v:

Also pretty sure it was a spinning wheel thingy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Dilgar War would be such a boring story.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Milky Moor posted:

The Dilgar War would be such a boring story.

Yeah. The point of the Dilgar War is to provide backstory, not to be a story. While it would be possible to make it interesting, what happens if it makes references to some other bit of universe history? Do we also then need a series for that? And maybe another about Earth's first contact with the Centauri? The trend for filling in backstory that we don't need filling in is really starting to drag.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 24, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, let's do a prequel series about Sheridan as a kid

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I know, let's do a prequel series about Sheridan as a kid

"Get the hell out of my playground"

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

I think Crusade and Legend of the Rangers has shown that's not true.

I did not think Crusade was bad, especially watching it in the suggested order. The biggest hickup on my last rewwatch (my first since it aired) was Gary Cole. He is a good actor, I am just so used to seeing him in comedy now.

Legend of the Rangers, on the other hand...that was truly wretched.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Someone in the thread might find it to be of interest that JMS said, in a recent Twitter thread, that he's been diagnosed with both Asperger's syndrome and reactive attachment disorder (inhibited). That gives a different context to a few of the management-related things that went on over B5's run, including the S4 Claudia Christian departure.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Am I the only person who doesn't mind pillar boxed 4:3 for shows intended to be 4:3? Zoomed and cropped 16:9 last time I watched through B5 on Amazon was an inferior experience to the 4:3 version I have. If they have something better to scan from, fantastic, but I'd far rather have it in the aspect ratio it was originally intended to be in.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Most of the live-action footage for B5 was shot in 16:9, so a lot of what you're seeing wasn't zoomed or cropped.

That said, when they go to effects shots, those weren't created or composited in 16:9, so that's where it becomes zoomed and/or cropped.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Even if it was shot in 16:9, the shots are composed in 4:3, because that's what most viewers were going to watch it in when it was first aired. So with the existing 16:9 release you get a combo of live action shots where everything is blocked in a 4:3 box in the middle, the composited live action/FX shots where they have to zoom and crop so the quality plummets mid scene and it's framed weird and the full CG shots that are made to look even worse by grainy zoom on the low res and also with bad framing.

A higher res scan can fix some of these problems, or at least even out the quality, but 4:3 is still a better option in my opinion

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That said, a new widescreen transfer from the camera negatives, coupled with cropped/zoomed effects from the 2K 4:3 master, should be good enough even for Blu-ray. I doubt it'll ever happen because of the expense, so a straight transfer of the master in 4:3 is the best we are plausibly ever going to get, and I'd be happy with that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wouldn't there have to be substantial restoration work done on the negatives for a new transfer? I seem to recall reading something about when they dug them out of storage for the DVDs, they discovered a significant amount of damage, like rats had chewed through some of them or something.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Timby posted:

Wouldn't there have to be substantial restoration work done on the negatives for a new transfer? I seem to recall reading something about when they dug them out of storage for the DVDs, they discovered a significant amount of damage, like rats had chewed through some of them or something.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997037663235457024

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

JMS only having one good story in him doesn't mean no one else could write one.

Maybe in that universe, he's done great work elsewhere, even with nonfiction as with Changeling.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

Maybe in that universe, he's done great work elsewhere, even with nonfiction as with Changeling.

Nobody mentioned another universe, Pick.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's now available on Prime, aside from S3 which I assume is some sort of back end oversight.

Haven't watched B5 in ages, time to solve that.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

It's now available on Prime, aside from S3 which I assume is some sort of back end oversight.

Haven't watched B5 in ages, time to solve that.

Better not be missing S3 for long. Severed Dreams is godly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks like the movies aren't included either and the biggest oversight is that this poo poo loving CROPPED to fill the drat screen, ewwwwwwwwwww.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also not for UK as far as I can see. Goddamn it

On the bright side, I found a budget miniseries with Bester/the guy who plays the fish guy on star trek disco/the woman who was the head of atlantis research in stargate atlantis and also teal'c too as some folk on a spaceship.

It's awful and apparently done on a shoestring budget.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Something that’s bothered me that sadly wasn’t addressed in the script books at least not that I could find.

1. Shadow ships need a living being as a cpu
2. Telepaths being shipped to the shadows to act as CPUs. They hate psi corps because TPs can jam them.
3. Anna Sheridan used as a CPU but she’s not a telepath
4. :confused:

So is this a mistake in writing or am I missing something? If the shadow ships need telepaths then why would they use THAT PERSON if she’s not one? If they are ‘upgrading’ the CPUs to be resistant to telepaths then why would the Shadows condition them to hate Psi Corp because presumably they’d be immune to blocking otherwise why bother?

There’s fan speculation about it but nothing from JMS that I can see. What am I missing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Something that’s bothered me that sadly wasn’t addressed in the script books at least not that I could find.

1. Shadow ships need a living being as a cpu
2. Telepaths being shipped to the shadows to act as CPUs. They hate psi corps because TPs can jam them.
3. Anna Sheridan used as a CPU but she’s not a telepath
4. :confused:

So is this a mistake in writing or am I missing something? If the shadow ships need telepaths then why would they use THAT PERSON if she’s not one? If they are ‘upgrading’ the CPUs to be resistant to telepaths then why would the Shadows condition them to hate Psi Corp because presumably they’d be immune to blocking otherwise why bother?

There’s fan speculation about it but nothing from JMS that I can see. What am I missing?

The ships don't need telepaths to pilot them, telepaths are just better at it because they're resistant to blocking. And the Shadows hate Psi Corps because it isn't in their pocket entirely; Bester is absolutely anti-Shadow, and that means every one of the most powerful telepaths on Earth is also against them.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah the telepaths being shipped to run as shadow cpus was a preventative effort against the league telepaths jamming their ships. It's a weird perversion of their intent as a weapon also since telepaths were engineered by the Vorlons to be used against the Shadows.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ah that jibes. I always thought that Psi Corp hate was a defense, but it’s more that they are conditioned to hate the other TPs that aren’t being used so they can eventually wipe them out. Sort of like how they culled the Narn telepaths after the last war.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Iymarra posted:

Also not for UK as far as I can see. Goddamn it

On the bright side, I found a budget miniseries with Bester/the guy who plays the fish guy on star trek disco/the woman who was the head of atlantis research in stargate atlantis and also teal'c too as some folk on a spaceship.

It's awful and apparently done on a shoestring budget.

UK had it all on Amazon last year, then it was being shown on a freeview channel from beginning to end until a couple of months ago. Now they've shown it all Amazon might get it back.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Amazon's encoding is all messed up for the cgi scenes. In the dvds I think it's 30fps for the cgi and 24 fps telecined for live action, it looks like they reverse telecined the cgi and hosed up the frame rate badly in the process.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Amazon's encoding is all messed up for the cgi scenes. In the dvds I think it's 30fps for the cgi and 24 fps telecined for live action, it looks like they reverse telecined the cgi and hosed up the frame rate badly in the process.

What is it with this show and any kind of delivery of the episodes post-original airing?

Zathras can never have anything nice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Orv posted:

S3 confirmed as available !

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Also this is just the worst article

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-quick-hack-guide-to-watching-only-the-best-of-babylon-5

I can understand wanting to skip large swaths of season 1 but this author even omitted Signs and Portents.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-quick-hack-guide-to-watching-only-the-best-of-babylon-5

I can understand wanting to skip large swaths of season 1 but this author even omitted Signs and Portents.

He also omitted A Voice in the Wilderness - without which the Great Machine appears out of nowhere at the end of S2 - and Born to the Purple, removing all emotional charge from Londo's heel-face-heel 360 in S3.

The must-watch for S1 is ten episodes: Midnight on the Firing Line, Born to the Purple (Adira Tyree), Mind War (God help us, but it introduces Bester and sets up Talia's arc), And The Sky Full of Stars, Signs and Portents (Morden), A Voice in the Wilderness 1/2 (the Great Machine), Babylon Squared, The Quality of Mercy (the healing device) and Chrysalis. It's also worth watching The Parliament of Dreams, Deathwalker, By Any Means Necessary, Eyes and Legacies.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

So based on this list, we should skip The Long Twilight Struggle (so meaning we see the Narn/Centauri war start, but not end), but watch Grey 17 is Missing?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Tsaedje posted:

UK had it all on Amazon last year, then it was being shown on a freeview channel from beginning to end until a couple of months ago. Now they've shown it all Amazon might get it back.

Eh, it was never taken off Prime in the UK as far as I can see? Annoyingly it's not in the subscription package though, you still have to pay for individual seasons/episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Maelstache posted:

Eh, it was never taken off Prime in the UK as far as I can see? Annoyingly it's not in the subscription package though, you still have to pay for individual seasons/episodes.

Ah right, I didn't check after having watched it once on Amazon. My 4:3 .avis are still superior.