Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
In a follow-up, Lindelhof stressed that the character of John Sheridan is NOT, under any circumstances, Khan.

In other news, Mark Wahlberg was seen testing uniforms that expose a significant amount of his chest, and Walter Koenig has refused to discuss whether Bester will experience being mind controlled.

(You can tell its a fake because Warner Brothers doesn't want to spend a dime on B5 and all the mentioned people cost top dollar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Zero posted:

You can tell it’s fake because Lindeloff would never be able to identify the themes of the Shadow War.

Well, he doesn't so that checks out

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
JMS said it's fake. :smith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Really, the idea of Melissa McCarthy playing Londo, G'kar, Vir and Lennier wasn't a big enough hint?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

JMS said it's fake. :smith:

If you read it, you wouldn't use :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If you read it, you wouldn't use :smith:

Yeah, I was holding out hope he was attached when it was just some people on twitter saying ~reboot~, but glad it was FAKE NEWS :trumppop:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Q_res posted:

Really, the idea of Melissa McCarthy playing Londo, G'kar, Vir and Lennier wasn't a big enough hint?

Honestly, I only considered it confirmed when I recognized each of the ships.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012
The Comet channel is showing it nightly starting today.

I've just started watching The Gathering.

In retrospect, O'Hare was real good. Alas, ***** happened in a year

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012
I forgot David McCallum was the guest star on episode 3.

cooooool.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Found some footage of the latest Babylon 5 cast reunion. https://youtu.be/0oHtLmjKRbE?t=108

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Q_res posted:

Found some footage of the latest Babylon 5 cast reunion. https://youtu.be/0oHtLmjKRbE?t=108

Hahahahah holy poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Proud to say that people out there are still drawing getting into the show and drawing babylon 5 fanart, god bless.

- pizdulgiver (as a conventional sa user tho, you probably don't want to go here)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTWjvSad6U

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 25, 2018

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Are reactions from a first-time viewer going through the series something this thread enjoys, or should I keep it to myself?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wizzardstaff posted:

Are reactions from a first-time viewer going through the series something this thread enjoys, or should I keep it to myself?

I'm new to this thread itself, but as a huge B5 fan, I would love to hear your first time impressions.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Please do share.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wizzardstaff posted:

That's like what keeps this thread alive :toot:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

wizzardstaff posted:

It sustains us. We will even go into spoiler mode for you!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
drat, this is an appropriate thread title, because that just happened to me.

Glad it's folks discovering the show instead!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I introduced my wife to this show a few months ago and she absolutely loved it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Speaking as a woman there is a lot of deep affection for B5 from women in particular. I'd say we're more likely to get into it than most other scifi series you might expect.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I am relatively unspoiled for the series because I was never too interested in even learning anything about it; it seemed like a monumental effort to get into and besides I already had memories of DS9 from childhood to sustain me. But I've always felt like it was a major piece of sci fi history I was missing out on, and this month I realized that it's all streaming on Amazon and I can watch episodes on my commute. So here we go.

About the only thing I know going in is that it was designed with the whole story in mind from the start, so foreshadowing is important. I know there are beings from another dimension (or something) called Shadows in conflict with the Vorlons, I know Sinclair's wife will eventually show up possessed by one, and I know about a few costume/cast changes--but I don't really know the hows and whys of any of that.

So far I've watched the first half dozen or so episodes, then realized that Amazon put the pilot at the end of the season and watched that. First impressions: obviously the production quality and the CGI segments (not to mention the synths in the pilot) scream early 90s, but I'm okay with that. I like picking out where bits of set have been re-used in other shots. It doesn't feel shoddy or cheap, it feels like a labor of love. This is especially true in the makeup department; I see plenty of extras who pop in for a shot with full facial prosthetics. They could have easily just gone with forehead wrinkles or even plain old humans, but somebody thought it was important enough to put money and energy into putting those aliens in the background.

One other thing I'm noticing is how much the TV conventions of the time could influence the writing. The last episode I watched was Deathwalker, where they deal with a war criminal. In between figuring out the moral implications of using scientific research from Space Nazis, the characters have to repeat themselves every ten minutes to sum up the plot for people who just tuned in after the last commercial break.

Favorite episode so far: Parliament of Dreams. I like how it showed off the personalities of all the major alien races (except the Vorlons, who I honestly forgot about for a while) and G'Kar's assassin paranoia was very entertaining. I thought the line of religious leaders at the end of the episode was a big cop-out but I guess they probably weren't willing to alienate their viewers and convert humanity to MegaTechnoProtestantism right off the bat.

Least favorite episode: Infection. I actually did try to start the series like six or seven years ago, and this episode is one of the ones that made me stop. That and the godawful T-Mobile ads that were accompanying the streaming service. But I am a completionist and dutifully went through it again this time around.

Best setting element: the giant bar table shaped like a 5 in the pilot. They really lean into the whole 55555 iconography all over the station. Which, you know, if the previous four stations all met horrible ends, maybe you shouldn't be constantly reminding everyone of that fact? It's got to be horrible for workplace morale.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Best setting element: the giant bar table shaped like a 5 in the pilot. They really lean into the whole 55555 iconography all over the station. Which, you know, if the previous four stations all met horrible ends, maybe you shouldn't be constantly reminding everyone of that fact? It's got to be horrible for workplace morale.

Babylon 5's construction was funded in large part by a licensing deal with Daft Punk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pick posted:

Speaking as a woman there is a lot of deep affection for B5 from women in particular. I'd say we're more likely to get into it than most other scifi series you might expect.

Completely agree. She loved Delenn, Lyta, Talia, Susan, and Na'Toth the most.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Completely agree. She loved Delenn, Lyta, Talia, Susan, and Na'Toth the most.

You might also want to show her the movie JMS wrote, "Changeling", which is based on a true story and seems insane, but is "based on" in the sense that he had to TONE DOWN HOW INSANE REALITY WAS. It goes into a lot of how women are treated by the police and it's a movie that, to be honest, most men I know thought was "meh" and women thought was exceptional.

There are a few annoying things in Babylon 5 with respect to women, but incredibly few, especially compared to Trek honestly (and I really like Star Trek).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

This is me settling in to watch the reactions over the next few weeks of new watchers. :munch:

I got a vendor sales rep to start watching B5. She was talking about how she loved GoT and was upset it was almost over but she loved how it had an overall arc. I said “well... if you REALLY like that kind of thing you should watch the show that started the whole multi-season arc thing to begin with but you have to have a tolerance for 90s TV. “ I also said if she could get to the 3rd episode of S2 and not be hooked it wouldn’t be for her probably.

She messaged me on LinkedIn saying she started and liked it so far. I’ll have to see if she made it through S1.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Pick posted:

You might also want to show her the movie JMS wrote, "Changeling", which is based on a true story and seems insane, but is "based on" in the sense that he had to TONE DOWN HOW INSANE REALITY WAS. It goes into a lot of how women are treated by the police and it's a movie that, to be honest, most men I know thought was "meh" and women thought was exceptional.

There are a few annoying things in Babylon 5 with respect to women, but incredibly few, especially compared to Trek honestly (and I really like Star Trek).

Pick have you watched The Expanse? Based on your posting ITT I think you'd enjoy it.

Also everyone should watch it because it's the best sci-fi TV since B5!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I intend to, once things calm down a little at work. Thanks for the recommendation!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pick posted:

I intend to, once things calm down a little at work. Thanks for the recommendation!

they're making season 4 atm, so it's a good time to get into it - season 3 was a cracker. don't read up about it though, there's a nice bit in s3 that's fun to come upon blind.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I agree don't read anything. It's very good. It doesn't really get going until episode four, but as a B5 veteran I don't think that'll throw you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Grand Fromage posted:

I agree don't read anything. It's very good. It doesn't really get going until episode four, but as a B5 veteran I don't think that'll throw you.

I read the first book so when my wife and I watched the first season I waited for the poo poo to hit the fan keeping an eye on her reaction. Her :tviv::wtc: reaction was memorable.

So, yes. Don’t loving read anything. Just watch it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Zero posted:

I also said if she could get to the 3rd episode of S2 and not be hooked it wouldn’t be for her probably.

I tell people to skip the pilot, start with all of Season 1, and if they get stuck, to skip ahead to Coming of Shadows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The books are good, I'm not including those as don't read. But the show is an excellent adaptation so if you don't feel like reading you're not really missing out.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Doctor Zero posted:

I read the first book so when my wife and I watched the first season I waited for the poo poo to hit the fan keeping an eye on her reaction. Her :tviv::wtc: reaction was memorable.

So, yes. Don’t loving read anything. Just watch it.

I had a weird time with The Expanse because while I wasn't familiar with the source material itself, I had played in a role-playing campaign that heavily cribbed from the book's plot. So when it came time to watch the show I recognized a lot of things in a really twisted mirror.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

wizzardstaff posted:

I had a weird time with The Expanse because while I wasn't familiar with the source material itself, I had played in a role-playing campaign that heavily cribbed from the book's plot. So when it came time to watch the show I recognized a lot of things in a really twisted mirror.

Which is funny, because it was pulled from a planned tabletop setting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Plotac 75 posted:

Which is funny, because it was pulled from a planned tabletop setting.

Which was from a cancelled MMO, so the show is a TV adaptation of a book adaptation of a tabletop adaptation of a video game.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If people are looking for new B5 reactions, quasi-popular internet reviewer Mark Oshiro is going through each episode now. Just started season 2 this week.

It's also what's finally pushing me to try and finish, I accidentally dropped off around season 3.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

If people are looking for new B5 reactions, quasi-popular internet reviewer Mark Oshiro is going through each episode now. Just started season 2 this week.

It's also what's finally pushing me to try and finish, I accidentally dropped off around season 3.

If you dropped late season 3 or season 4 I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nerdman42 posted:

This guy is mildly insufferable. I

Like he’s totally cool and good until something or someone triggers him, and then he’s the worst.

I loved his watch of Avatar the last Airbender, until I very very much did not.