Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Nah. The Eric Red version with xenomorph pigs, xenomorph cows and xenomorph chickens. IIRC, it ends with the "mechanical" part of biomechanical coming into play and producing a xenomorph space station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maelstache posted:

The script I'd want to see adapted is the Vincent Ward space monks version, it was basically The Name Of The Rose with xenomorphs.

The Name of the Morph

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Name of the Morph

Leonard Maltin gave Morphblast more stars.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platonicsolid posted:

Leonard Maltin gave Morphblast more stars.

Morphfinger

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Morph Mutiny

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McSpanky posted:

I thought that had something to do with Ironheart's "gift" and Kosh's interest in the development of the younger races, like he was making a backup of her to compare to later stages of human psionic evolution or something, but of course that all got flushed with her character.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Talia's plot got copied onto Lyta.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

THIS IS SPOILERY IF YOU ARE WATCHING NEW SKIP THIS.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Talia's plot got copied onto Lyta.

Yeah so Takeshima was supposed to be the mole. Then he had to shift that to Talia. So he set up an “out” with Kosh so they could get her back. Then the actress pissed him off and left and so JMS had Talia dissected. The Kosh backup quietly ignored. The remnants of her story got shifted got shifted to Lyta.

(Pat Tallman left under similar circumstances- asking for too much money and thinking her character irreplaceable- but that was all her agents fault and not hers so JMS left the door open. Lesson - do not piss off JMS is you ever want to work with him again)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I thought that was Claudia Christian, not Pat Tallman.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I believe something similar happened with Tallman between 'The Gathering' and the series proper. In fact, I think that's the only reason Talia even existed as a character.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Platonicsolid posted:

Which sort of begs the question why the Vorlons would care about Talia personally. Or would Kosh do it just for giggles?

I would figure he saw Ironheart's gift to her as a potentially valuable weapon against the Shadows.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Yes she did it too. Which is why she’s not in S5. I *think* they reconciled eventually.

Q_res posted:

I believe something similar happened with Tallman between 'The Gathering' and the series proper. In fact, I think that's the only reason Talia even existed as a character.

Right. But in Pat’s case it was her agent being a douche.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It wasn't entirely money. There was a movie deal involved, plus Christian went out of contract after S4 when everyone else signed an extension. It ended up with a messy situation where both sides were saying "all they have to do is call" and neither side was willing to do so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
JMS hitting on Claudia Christian couldn't have helped.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh yikes. I’ve been reading along on the episode capsules at the lurker’s guide and got the sense from his (usenet?) comments for each episode that he was that kind of 90s dork, but it’s sad to find out that he was that kind of 90s dork.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

(Pat Tallman left under similar circumstances- asking for too much money and thinking her character irreplaceable- but that was all her agents fault and not hers so JMS left the door open. Lesson - do not piss off JMS is you ever want to work with him again)

That's not what Tallman says (with JMS confirming): Tallman's account is that one of the Warners execs hit on her and when she turned him down, he intervened to ensure Tallman got an offer of scale (minimum wage) with a 24-hour window to accept or decline. (This would have been $1200 per episode, vs the $5000 per episode rate offered the performers for the pilot.) Then JMS was told that Tallman asked for $10,000 per episode. Tallman tried to call JMS but he was at an event and unavailable (the exec in charge of negotiating the contract knew this).

She did communicate with JMS afterward, shared her bit of the story, and when Andrea Thompson said she was planning to quit JMS offered Tallman a guest star spot immediately (bypassing the Warner executives) and she accepted.

Note that according to Tallman's account, Jerry Doyle and Andrea were engaged at this point, Andrea left because she wasn't getting the storylines she wanted and had other offers, and the parting was amicable.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

His side of the story is that it was a misunderstanding.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

His side of the story is that it was a misunderstanding.

I'd have to dig up my copy of Babylon Confidential, but I think the only misunderstanding in him sending her a car with flowers for their friendly dinner was that he didn't understand how inappropriate it was to hit on an actress working in your show. :shrug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She misunderstood how I was always there to listen to her after those jocks broke her heart and that I AM SO NICE AND

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd have to dig up my copy of Babylon Confidential, but I think the only misunderstanding in him sending her a car with flowers for their friendly dinner was that he didn't understand how inappropriate it was to hit on an actress working in your show. :shrug:

What's the timing on that happening, because that's, you know. That's a scene Ivanova has, with Corwin, later, with some details swapped around.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vavrek posted:

What's the timing on that happening, because that's, you know. That's a scene Ivanova has, with Corwin, later, with some details swapped around.

:eyepop:

I'd completely forgotten that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Ahahaha whoa poo poo I never made that connection before.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vavrek posted:

My (foggy) recollection is it's post season 4, and JMS says he did the same for each of the cast, but Claudia took it the wrong way. No idea if the other cast members have ever confirmed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

My (foggy) recollection is it's post season 4, and JMS says he did the same for each of the cast, but Claudia took it the wrong way. No idea if the other cast members have ever confirmed.

I just looked. It was towards the end of S4, so the Corwin scene is just an unhappy coincidence.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Doctor Zero posted:

THIS IS SPOILERY IF YOU ARE WATCHING NEW SKIP THIS.

Yeah so Takeshima was supposed to be the mole. Then he had to shift that to Talia. So he set up an “out” with Kosh so they could get her back. Then the actress pissed him off and left and so JMS had Talia dissected. The Kosh backup quietly ignored. The remnants of her story got shifted got shifted to Lyta.

Yes, where Talia was going to be a superpowered telepath thanks to Ironheart, Lyta was a superpowered telepath thanks to the Vorlons. I don't think it was ever mentioned on screen, but I suppose the mind-recording of Talia could have been used to figure out how to modify Lyta.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dirty posted:

Yes, where Talia was going to be a superpowered telepath thanks to Ironheart, Lyta was a superpowered telepath thanks to the Vorlons. I don't think it was ever mentioned on screen, but I suppose the mind-recording of Talia could have been used to figure out how to modify Lyta.

Late show Telepath stuff: They created telepaths in the first place, so it's unlikely that the results of psi corps experimentation would be news to them

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Jedit posted:

I don't remember that. It's Ivanova who has the coffee plant.

I think Ivanova had a throw away line about finding or being told about the previous XO's plant. It was in, Midnight on the Firing Line, or another really early episode. I wanna say it was at the end of Invonva's first scene though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Expired Vitamin posted:

I think Ivanova had a throw away line about finding or being told about the previous XO's plant. It was in, Midnight on the Firing Line, or another really early episode. I wanna say it was at the end of Invonva's first scene though.

iirc, they just reuse pretty much the same dialogue with Ivanova, saying she had a small plot set aside for her coffee plant like Takashima did in the pilot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just noticed that the episodes on Amazon are in widescreen. Does that mean that these episodes are zoomed and cropped, or is it an open matte situation or something? Nothing looks off-center or missing from the frame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just noticed that the episodes on Amazon are in widescreen. Does that mean that these episodes are zoomed and cropped, or is it an open matte situation or something? Nothing looks off-center or missing from the frame.

Open matte. They were, thankfully, filmed in widescreen and cut to 4:3.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It looks good for that. The open-matte Seinfelds I’ve seen look a little weird sometimes with the extra space. It’s very lucky that the show was done that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It looks good for that. The open-matte Seinfelds I’ve seen look a little weird sometimes with the extra space. It’s very lucky that the show was done that way.

It was probably filmed for 4:3, being on widescreen film was just incidental. They're gonna cut the sides, so it doesn't matter :pseudo:.

JSM's final stroke of planning for everything was presumably filming like everything would be seen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was probably filmed for 4:3, being on widescreen film was just incidental. They're gonna cut the sides, so it doesn't matter :pseudo:.

JSM's final stroke of planning for everything was presumably filming like everything would be seen.

He shot wide since that was a foreseeable development but the scenes are set up such that nothing critical will be missed in 4:3 screens so there's nothing really important happening to the left or right. All the CG was made 4:3 so it's cropped for wide presentation and is unlikely to be redone, ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m two episodes into season two and the biggest change I’m having trouble with is the 9000% increase in smooth jazz.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Midjack posted:

He shot wide since that was a foreseeable development but the scenes are set up such that nothing critical will be missed in 4:3 screens so there's nothing really important happening to the left or right. All the CG was made 4:3 so it's cropped for wide presentation and is unlikely to be redone, ever.

This gets brought up every few pages, but the original CG is all lost so there is no updating it without redoing it from scratch and a studio will never spend the money to do that.
:smith:

Ironically, a few dedicated fans could probably remake it all from scratch and have it look better, these days. :pcgaming:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

And if I ever become independently wealthy, I'm going to learn 3D animation and do just that.

And if I win the mega millions, I'll buy the rights from WB and hand it over personally to JMS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

:wrong:

It was revealed relatively-recently that the original CG was done in a surprisingly-high ratio and cropped down for 4:3. And that Warner Bros won't let JMS have the masters out of their archives.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

It was revealed relatively-recently that the original CG was done in a surprisingly-high ratio and cropped down for 4:3. And that Warner Bros won't let JMS have the masters out of their archives.

I don't doubt you, but do you have a source for that? I had thought that Netter or JMS were the source of the 4:3 CG claim but it's been a while since I went mining that deeply.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The CG was done in 4:3 https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/22/babylon-5-digital-video-quality/

Eyud fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 19, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

I don't doubt you, but do you have a source for that? I had thought that Netter or JMS were the source of the 4:3 CG claim but it's been a while since I went mining that deeply.

When Amazon started streaming JMS posted on his Twitter account that Warners still had the original film master negatives the production was required to submit, and that they could cheaply strike a new transfer at 4:3 which would be trivial to upgrade to HD quality for a Bluray release.

I'm unaware of any statement about CGI at higher than broadcast standard. I do know that there's been some ambiguity about the "CGI is lost" statement as to the best of my recollection, everything was turned over to Warner Brothers who pretty much want nothing to do with the show and thus may be sitting on the CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I thought all the CGI stuff was lost to a warehouse fire which is why The Lost Tales had a bunch of inconsistencies in ship sizes and such because it was all sourced from fan-made stuff?