Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if this has been posted recently, but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyN4LRcakCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kaynorr posted:

I like the overall premise of Crusade quite a bit, largely because in other Notable Science Fiction Properties they interact with an awful lot of hypertech and yet somehow it seems to have no effect on the actual world. The premise of "How would galactic civilization cope with having access to technology it's just not ready for?" was a pretty good one.

The execution was, well....what it was. Thanks a bunch TNT, I guess?

There was some discussion at the time about this. The consensus was that if Crusade had been Babylon 5 season 6, Turner would have left it alone. He hosed with it because he thought it was his show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kaynorr posted:

I like the overall premise of Crusade quite a bit, largely because in other Notable Science Fiction Properties they interact with an awful lot of hypertech and yet somehow it seems to have no effect on the actual world. The premise of "How would galactic civilization cope with having access to technology it's just not ready for?" was a pretty good one.

Have you not watched Stargate SG-1?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
He probably has because there's 17 seasons of Stargate tv series plus a handful of movies and they stubbornly managed to make it so that the world is utterly unchanged by anything that has taken place or anything humans have obtained in their travels offworld, a situation bordering on ludicrous considering humanity as of the last Stargate stuff made is that of the sole galactic superpower, possessors of the accumulated knowledge and technology of two extinct ancient races, and a gigantic city-starship is parked in the San Francisco Bay. All within 10-15 years of humans stepping foot off the planet for the first time.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Shout out to the Babylon 5 goons. Re-watched it to S4 last year and got super emotional at the Londo / G'kar scenes. Just kicking off S5 now, its the real thing!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Walter Koenig was interviewed for The Archive of American Television about playing Al Bester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GVL3TdMXs

Minor spoiler for something that I don't remember happening in season 1.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
If you mean the description of the episode Koenig was originally cast for, he's talking about Eyes, season 1, episode 16. I had no idea that role was written for him. (Also, there's a Bill Mumy interview about Babylon 5 as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVG_1_OriPM )

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vavrek posted:

If you mean the description of the episode Koenig was originally cast for, he's talking about Eyes, season 1, episode 16. I had no idea that role was written for him. (Also, there's a Bill Mumy interview about Babylon 5 as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVG_1_OriPM )

Might be time for a rewatch. It's been approximately a decade at this point.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Walter Koenig was interviewed for The Archive of American Television about playing Al Bester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GVL3TdMXs

Minor spoiler for something that I don't remember happening in season 1.

Oh man he's so old now. :(

Bester owns though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man he's so old now. :(

If Jerry Doyle wasn't dead I'd be suggesting a Fate of Bester movie right now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vavrek posted:

If you mean the description of the episode Koenig was originally cast for, he's talking about Eyes, season 1, episode 16.

He's not, he's talking about And The Sky Full of Stars (1x08).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
:doh:
I should have known 'internal affairs investigation' and 'Sinclair is kidnapped and mindprobed' were two different stories, but honestly, look at EarthForce. Can you blame me?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The way Bester talks was always weird to me. I dunno if it's some kind weird regional thing, or some kind of affectation. I've only heard people talk like that on old shows, the only other example I can think of is Dickie Smothers. I can kind of imagine old elocution coaches pushing for that way of speaking back in the day.

It made him seem less threatening, made him seem like a grandma, and I was never really sure if that was intentional or not.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way Bester talks was always weird to me. I dunno if it's some kind weird regional thing, or some kind of affectation. I've only heard people talk like that on old shows, the only other example I can think of is Dickie Smothers. I can kind of imagine old elocution coaches pushing for that way of speaking back in the day.

It made him seem less threatening, made him seem like a grandma, and I was never really sure if that was intentional or not.

I think it's an integral part of the character: he's this little guy that looks and acts like anyone could push him around. He's supposed to be disarming and non-threatening until the gloves literally come off.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wish we had a little more of a wrap-up with Talia's character, I'm on a rewatch and she does a pretty good job with her role. I do like Lyta a little more, the actress has more dynamic range (and obviously more to work with), but it'd have been nice if they were able to get Andrea Thompson to come back for an episode, similar to how they got Na'toth's original actress back in season 5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hope and vaseline posted:

I wish we had a little more of a wrap-up with Talia's character, I'm on a rewatch and she does a pretty good job with her role. I do like Lyta a little more, the actress has more dynamic range (and obviously more to work with), but it'd have been nice if they were able to get Andrea Thompson to come back for an episode, similar to how they got Na'toth's original actress back in season 5.

That'd be a bit hard since Psi-Corps killed her and dissected her brain.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The exact nature of her trapdoor out of the plot would have to have been adjusted, true.

Alternately: What, you believed Bester? (About anything?)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vavrek posted:

The exact nature of her trapdoor out of the plot would have to have been adjusted, true.

Alternately: What, you believed Bester? (About anything?)

Very true. I'm just trying to think what the trapdoors for other characters probably were if they'd departed the show now. Ivanova's was probably getting outed as a Telepath. Franklin would've been stim addiction in some manner. Garibaldi probably just goes off the deep end altogether like he apparently does in season 4, I reckon. Or gets the old "two days to retirement" death during a random street crime.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wonder how the show would have been if Mira Furlan had bailed. I have an especially hard time thinking up a replacement for Delenn. Also, what would have been her trapdoor? Killed by some warrior caste fanatic?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torrannor posted:

Wonder how the show would have been if Mira Furlan had bailed. I have an especially hard time thinking up a replacement for Delenn. Also, what would have been her trapdoor? Killed by some warrior caste fanatic?

The diplomats are the easiest; They get recalled, meet the replacement, because ~Politics~.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The diplomats are the easiest; They get recalled, meet the replacement, because ~Politics~.

Sure, theoretically. Yet nobody recalls the "diplomat" that just broke the Grey Council, and leads two thirds of all Minbari. That train left halfway through season 3.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it would have been Billy Mumy, right? That would have been a very different show.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think it would have been Billy Mumy, right? That would have been a very different show.

Woohoo?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torrannor posted:

Sure, theoretically. Yet nobody recalls the "diplomat" that just broke the Grey Council, and leads two thirds of all Minbari. That train left halfway through season 3.

Sure, but I meant more the "we don't know if they'll be back next season" trapdoors from the first few seasons and general secondary cast, rather than being fairly certain your now-defining main characters are probably going to be in it til the end of the show's life.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Ummmm I'll ship it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You're wondering how they would have replaced the character who underwent a major physical transformation. If Furlan had left for any reason they'd just have bunged Delenn back in a chrysalis "for the second stage of the process".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nah the assistants were the planned trapdoors, JMS has said that. It's what Vir, Na'Toth, and Lennier were "for".

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It boggles my mind how different the Centauri arc would have gone if they needed Vir to take Londo's place around the end of season 2.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bell_ posted:

It boggles my mind how different the Centauri arc would have gone if they needed Vir to take Londo's place around the end of season 2.

I feel like a bunch of Londo's deliberate atrocities would have become Vir's unintended consequeces

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like a bunch of Londo's deliberate atrocities would have become Vir's unintended consequeces

Look, could you just, I don't know, deal with the Narn problem?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Londo has to get to his War without End death, so he's recalled to Centauri Prime and sets Vir up as his replacement. Vir gets instructions through intermediaries or off-screen conversations. And JMS probably desperately tries to get Jurasik to come back for S4. Failing that, Cartagia sends Londo off to some remote post and it's Vir and G'Kar trying to fix things.

Kashia
Nov 9, 2018

Darling Nikka.
Halfway through season 4 now, just finished the 'Racing Mars' episode, and...did this show from 1997 casually refer to marriage equality as a thing nobody bats an eyelash at in the future? Wow. I wonder how much further the portrayal of the Ivanova/Talia relationship would have gone if Andrea Thompson had stayed on the show.

Also Garibaldi noooooo :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kashia posted:

Halfway through season 4 now, just finished the 'Racing Mars' episode, and...did this show from 1997 casually refer to marriage equality as a thing nobody bats an eyelash at in the future? Wow. I wonder how much further the portrayal of the Ivanova/Talia relationship would have gone if Andrea Thompson had stayed on the show.

Yeah

quote:

One of the biggest noooooos in television history.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I love the way B5 dealt with homosexuality. In the future, nobody will care. No coming out stories, no bigotry, just ordinary relationship stuff.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kashia posted:

B5 does a lot of cool things like that. Like how, also in Season 4, Garibaldi angrily says of Sheridan: "He's not the Pope! He doesn't look anything like her!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

B5 does a lot of cool things like that. Like how, also in Season 4, Garibaldi angrily says of Sheridan: "He's not the Pope! He doesn't look anything like her!"

That's just cliché, though. SF trying to be socially aware in the 90s always had the future with a black president and a female pope.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Jedit posted:

That's just cliché, though. SF trying to be socially aware in the 90s always had the future with a black president and a female pope.

That future is real. I created it and it’s real!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Kashia posted:

I wonder how much further the portrayal of the Ivanova/Talia relationship would have gone if Andrea Thompson had stayed on the show.

According to panel discussions, JMS' take on it was like mashing two dolls together and squealing NOW KISS, so I'm kinda (very) glad it got truncated into something subtle. I am very much over a dude's take on how a lesbian relationship plays out, and given how the supplementary material about Marcus turned out...

Yeah.

...Yeah.

I mean, I agree with the sentiment, generally. I thought the way the Ivanova/Talia relationship was presented was wonderfully executed, I liked that there was no eye-batting at the general concept, and, like, yeah. As a bi/leaning gay woman (then teenager) from a conservative family, seeing two women together in a way that wasn't torpedoed by the prevailing 'AND NOW, A DUDE SEDUCES ONE OF THEM AWAY' bullshit and/or built up as a male fantasy was pretty loving cool. I do not get the impression that it would have stayed that way.

EDIT: I feel the need to apologize for reminding people in this thread about the Marcus thing.

EDIT 2: If you have no idea what the Marcus thing is, just pretend I didn't mention it.

EDIT 3: vvv noooooo :(

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 1, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, you can't leave me hanging like this. What's the Marcus thing? How can there even be a Marcus thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Wait, you can't leave me hanging like this. What's the Marcus thing? How can there even be a Marcus thing?

Ever watched AI? Remember the ending? Well, that's what happened to Marcus and it's official canon.