Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

TraderStav posted:

I just watched Survivors the other night, and woo-boy was Gariabialdis ‘civilian wear’ shirt something else.

My favorite is Sinclair's ... greatcoat/cloak combo? in Born to the Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I mean, come on!

Those jeans! That hair!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Who is that in the middle? I can’t figure it out under all that 80s.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doctor Zero posted:

Who is that in the middle? I can’t figure it out under all that 80s.

Blaire Baron, who played Carolyn Sykes in the original pilot. The part was reworked in Season 1 to be Catherine Sakai, played by Julia Nckson-Soul.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Angels, you're going undercover on a space station.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

remusclaw posted:

I just finished the series and goddam I was warned but was not prepared for the waterworks to get going with Sleeping in Light. What a fantastic show and what a heartfelt ending.

The ending is the show's greatest recommendation. If you're trying to sell someone on committing to watch B5, tell them "you know how fans complain about the ending of every show ever ? The B5 endings are universally loved. yes, there are two."

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Blaire Baron, who played Carolyn Sykes in the original pilot. The part was reworked in Season 1 to be Catherine Sakai, played by Julia Nckson-Soul.

Ohhh yeah. Thanks.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Babylon 5 in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/09/jump-the-shark-babylon-5

Although the author shows he knows his stuff by talking about Centauri penis tentacles, it's like he just hit a word limit and stopped writing the article. Rarely for the internet, you'll be better off reading the comments on this one...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So, By Any Means Necessary... I was WAY more engaged in the flower plot than the A plot on the strike.

Please tell me the acting gets better. The labor negotiator and senator are atrocious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

Please tell me the acting gets better. The labor negotiator and senator are atrocious.

Eh... the incidental character actors are pretty rough overall. Usually Londo and G'Kar eat enough scenery for it not to matter too much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

remusclaw posted:

I just finished the series and goddam I was warned but was not prepared for the waterworks to get going with Sleeping in Light. What a fantastic show and what a heartfelt ending.

The only Scifi ending so good the nerds don't complain about it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Marmaduke! posted:

Babylon 5 in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/09/jump-the-shark-babylon-5

Although the author shows he knows his stuff by talking about Centauri penis tentacles, it's like he just hit a word limit and stopped writing the article. Rarely for the internet, you'll be better off reading the comments on this one...

The author acting like the Drakh in S5 weren't set up in early S4 :colbert:

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The author acting like the Drakh in S5 weren't set up in early S4 :colbert:

To be fair, his memory of that appearance may be a little... blurry :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I'm talking more specifically about "You just made a mistake, Londo! Even if my associates lose this war, they have allies! THEY'LL MAKE SURE CENTAURI PRIME PAYS THE PRICE FOR WHAT YOU'VE DONE HERE TODAY!" (to copy and paste from the wiki)

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Fair to say the Drakh had a real image problem.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hey let’s not lose focus here.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Dirty posted:

Fair to say the Drakh had a real image problem.

I kinda see what you did there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

And to be fair, I don't think they really developed much of an ideology for Clark and his fascists that would have to be eradicated beyond just consolidation of power and hanging out with evil aliens. Of course, a pro move would've been flash forward showing a contingent of humans romanticizing some loyal Earthgov officers and building statues of them in an attempt to rehabilitate the history.

:golfclap: And that's a realfact.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

So, By Any Means Necessary... I was WAY more engaged in the flower plot than the A plot on the strike.

Characters as bit-part-y as the Senator, not so much. New character coming in for one episode's A plot ? Yes. Recurring characters like Neroon and Bester, the recurring cast starts great and finishes great. Jeffrey Coombs only appears in one episode, but he was busy with DS9.

I do think that the character of the labor negotiator should have shown up again a few times. They didn't have the right casting for thatso we got one of the dockworkers instead.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I found a bunch of VHS tapes that have pretty much the whole broadcast run of Babylon 5 on it. Probably original airings since my dad recorded it but I’m not 100% sure. Is there any reason to transfer this stuff to digital? (I have the equipment so it would be essentially free)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's VHS, so likely not. Maybe if it was recorded on the highest quality. Maybe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If it’s the SciFi first widescreen run where they hosed up the CG it might be worth capping the mistakes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Zero posted:

I found a bunch of VHS tapes that have pretty much the whole broadcast run of Babylon 5 on it. Probably original airings since my dad recorded it but I’m not 100% sure. Is there any reason to transfer this stuff to digital? (I have the equipment so it would be essentially free)

Does it have long outdated commercial breaks and other things? It might be worth it for archival purposes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does it have long outdated commercial breaks and other things? It might be worth it for archival purposes.

I guess that’s what I’m asking. Is there some big unfilled need that people want this? I don’t really care personally but I also don’t want to be the guy that got rid of something fans are looking for.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There are going to be some people who want it. That number is unknown and really kind of unknowable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Generally speaking, people love the poo poo out of seeing old ads just for the nostalgia factor. Especially if you can salvage them in decent quality.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Signs and Portents. Dare I say the first GOOD Babylon 5 episode? Coherent and engaging story. Political intrigue. Action. Comedy (Londo and J'kar's elevator impatience). Mystery. Great stuff! No one over acted. I'm impressed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TraderStav posted:

Signs and Portents. Dare I say the first GOOD Babylon 5 episode?

I will loving shank you.

It probably is the first great episode, though. It's also the season title episode and they were always pivotal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think that's where I started my friend on her extremely stripped down tour of season 1 so yep.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

TraderStav posted:

No one over acted.

Except Majel Barrett.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dirty posted:

Except Majel Barrett.

I could watch her overact all day. :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I think that's where I started my friend on her extremely stripped down tour of season 1 so yep.

That's stripped too far. The bare bones S1 is nine episodes: Midnight on the Firing Line, Mind War, Signs and Portents, And The Sky Full of Stars and the last five. And even then you miss Legacies, which is quite relevant later.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You can start B5 anywhere good and your own curiosity will move you to watch earlier episodes to get a fuller picture. I started watching in S2E19 Divided Loyalties, and while it was sometimes hard to know who the people involved were, there was enough redundancy that you could follow it through and get hooked.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiBJ2Rs3kC0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of season 1 is great and those who say otherwise are heretics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I said come in! posted:

All of season 1 is great and those who say otherwise are heretics.

TKO.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Nice. Glad he's put something back up. Not sure I entirely buy his reason in the comments for taking them down, since, well, he's put them back up again. Pretty sure the real reason is that he was just grumpy at JMS and his Twitter posts about the CGI.

EDIT: One thing I did notice in that is it looks like the tiny garden that they have most of their conversations in was actually included in the CGI in the station interior.

The camera seems to be pushing in on that bit just before a scene there. I guess the grey building has the doors they come out of.

I really wish they added some detail to that big old expanse of diff_hull.tiff on the left, though. B5 definitely got their money's worth out of that texture.

It's sort of funny how grand the station interior is, but anything with actors looks really cramped. I'm not sure my brain ever fully accepted that the garden area is supposed to be "outdoors" and that the characters were standing in one tiny part of a huge vista of forests and buildings. Even the expansive view from Sheridan's office just didn't look very grand somehow. That 5-mile long rotunda only ever felt truly big that one time Sheridan leaped out the train.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 16, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oh no, that's the next episode I have to watch.

Should I play on my Switch during it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nope, just pop a Zima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Nope, just pop a Zima.