Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Ooohh! They may have found Babylon 4

Show is definitely getting really cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No one listens to Zathras

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TraderStav posted:

My sister got into sci-fi aged seven purely on the back of that episode and the two preceding.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

No one listens to Zathras

I bet even Zathras doesn’t listen to Zathras

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The thing about S1 is what they were trying to do was really good, but they don't succeed at it so well. When you rewatch it you can pick out the aim much more easily, so it comes off better.

It’s a fair cop. He’s much better on second (and third) viewings.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

John Murdoch posted:

I knew people had warned that the Amazon versions were rough but I laughed that off since I never had an issue with the show or even the effects. But boy the quality of the effects shots in these versions sure is something. :whitewater:

Geez, the Amazon versions look like they were captured from VHS, not professional tape or anything. They are literal garbage, visually.

I only look at them sometimes because there's some interesting tidbits in the "X-Ray" trivia feature they have for each episode.

The quality I get watching them on Comet TV is several orders of magnitude better than the Amazon ones, except for loving commercials.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Zero posted:

He’s right though.

Balls.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The tragedy of O'Hare's Sinclair was, especially on re-watches, that by the end of Season One Sinclair was finally starting to click for me....and then he's gone. If O'Hare had been able to keep going, I can't help but feel that he'd have grown into the role and we'd have had something really special. It's the lost potential that troubles me the most, I think.

Beyond Season One spoilers, protected that the newbies not be spoiled It was a shame, because in War Without End, the depths of emotion that Chrysalis Sinclair was showing had been lost over a season and a half of inactivity and we were back to the overly dry performance of The Gathering Sinclair. :sigh:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

TraderStav posted:

I suppose I don't know what's to come with who replaces him,

He fights for the users.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The thing about S1 is what they were trying to do was really good, but they don't succeed at it so well. When you rewatch it you can pick out the aim much more easily, so it comes off better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah S1 is a lot better on a rewatch. There's so much in there that you can't know the first time around.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah S1 is a lot better on a rewatch. There's so much in there that you can't know the first time around.

I enjoy the characters, and enjoy revisiting them, which comes from knowing the characters well already.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

The tragedy of O'Hare's Sinclair was, especially on re-watches, that by the end of Season One Sinclair was finally starting to click for me....and then he's gone. If O'Hare had been able to keep going, I can't help but feel that he'd have grown into the role and we'd have had something really special. It's the lost potential that troubles me the most, I think.

Beyond Season One spoilers, protected that the newbies not be spoiled It was a shame, because in War Without End, the depths of emotion that Chrysalis Sinclair was showing had been lost over a season and a half of inactivity and we were back to the overly dry performance of The Gathering Sinclair. :sigh:

Yeah by the end I really liked Sinclair and I could just feel the guy fighting so hard to retain his sanity. He just oozed the wounded Vet whose mind had been frelled a million ways for various people’s agendas. I wanted him to win so badly. I actually got miffed by Sheridan because I had invested in Sinclair’s journey. Then I read the internet a few years later and I got :smith: all over again. I can’t wait to see the newbie reaction to the various stages of Sheridan.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vavrek posted:

I enjoy the characters, and enjoy revisiting them, which comes from knowing the characters well already.

Yeah, the spending time with old friends feeling. This show has it. And on a re-watch, the rough edges can be excused because you know where they were going with whatever thing, and it's easier to enjoy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm the opposite. I already know the stuff I need to know from the worst episodes, so i'm more likely to skip them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Von_Doom posted:

He just oozed the wounded Vet whose mind had been frelled a million ways for various people’s agendas.

Wrong show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Wrong show.

frakkin' newbies

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a hard time picturing mentally picturing any physical difference between Sheridan and Sinclair unless I'm literally looking at a picture of both of them. Even if I'm looking at one I can't really visualize how the other one looks different.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

They don't look anything alike. :thunk:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Wrong show.

Oh my giddy aunt! I know but I will use Farscapeisms forever. Was I the only one suspicious of the Minbari and the Vorlon watching Season 1? Maybe I’m cynical but they just seemed ... too good. New guy: what is your take of the races in your watching so far? Weirdly I understood and even liked the Narn. The Centauri were schemers but I remember thinking they were mostly harmless. Heh. I mistrusted the boneheads more than most and thought they were going to be the main antagonists back in the day. I wish I could somehow wipe my memory and do it all again. I still have never seen crusade or the crusade movie. Is that free on Prime?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, I was about to point out that the actor playing Sheridan is MANY inches shorter than the one playing Sinclair.

However, Sheridan is 6'2" and Sinclair is 6'1".

I never knew Boxleitner was a fuckin giant compared to most actors in hollywood. He just always comes off as being slightly above average height.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can get just not having an eye for faces, and the two are sort of treated interchangeably by the rest of the cast. They're the same position, the same role, and the same uniform.

The key feature to differentiate them is eyebrows.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also: Voice, Intonation, and emotive range.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And varying propensity to send things STRAIGHT TO HELL

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Wrong show.

I'll accept blame here.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

And varying propensity to send things STRAIGHT TO HELL

I feel like some fresh squeezed orange juice all of a sudden.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

So, I was about to point out that the actor playing Sheridan is MANY inches shorter than the one playing Sinclair.

However, Sheridan is 6'2" and Sinclair is 6'1".

I never knew Boxleitner was a fuckin giant compared to most actors in hollywood. He just always comes off as being slightly above average height.

I do exactly the same thing in real life. I'm the same height as Boxleitner or slightly taller on a good back day, but I don't appear to take up any space unless I want to. A guy even called me "shorty" once - he was six foot five, but he was also pretty surprised when I asked what the gently caress he'd been smoking and we both stood up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TraderStav posted:

The first one sank into the swamp

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Second one sank into the swamp too.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The third one burned down, fell over, and sank into the swamp

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The fourth one went forward in time, then backward in time, and sank into the swamp. But the fifth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, son, the strongest space station in all of the galaxy.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

look i never finished the show i mean i might one day but for the times i am a fake gamer girl but please do not talk down sinclair i will fight you in real life

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lost my old email posted:

look i never finished the show i mean i might one day but for the times i am a fake gamer girl but please do not talk down sinclair i will fight you in real life

sinclair is <3 and his unrequited yet burning hot bromance with gary baldy is the best thing in the show

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The fourth one went forward in time, then backward in time, and sank into the swamp. But the fifth one stayed up.

For 25 years or so, anyway

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For 25 years or so, anyway

It's only a CGI model.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Santiago promised to drain the swamp. He just filled it with Babylons.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

sebmojo posted:

gary baldy

This is perfect

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And after all these years, the greatest mystery of the show remains: What colour were Babylon 2 and 3? (Canonically, the Babylon Station was red.)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Based on the existing pattern, orange and yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
ROY G BIV

Babylon 6 will be indigo!