Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd forgotten Na'Toth, which is bad because she's pretty funny, no-selling all of G'Kar's bullshit.

She was an awesome character and then the second actress kinda got the idea that she needed to be subtle and she disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Babylon 5 is such a mix of things. The show is sometimes shallow and twee and other times deep and meaningful. There's genuine drama and genuinely bad acting. Sometimes simplistic morals, and sometimes elaborate and complex showings of genuine conflicts between differing philosophies.

It's weird how much it shines through all of the bad bits. The military bits sometimes feel like the writers and actors act like the military is just some scaled up version of football. It makes me keep thinking that a scene is going to end with "AND WE'RE GONNA WIN THAT GAME FOR THE HOME TEAM!"

The weird thing to me is how mixed babylon 5 is as a show- it didn't really work all that well for me, though there were absolutely parts where it did.

While Londo and G'kar were wonderful, I thought Delenn was profoundly uninteresting and she got a lot more airtime than those two. The human characters were uneven and poorly acted, and the rangers just seemed a bit over the top to me. I found it really hard to buy the Delenn/captain stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say they're one of the better TV couples, just for being an actual relationship growing over time through multiple seasons instead of going from zero to "oh, they're in love now" with a single episode.

I know, but I didn't find it believable that the relationship would be anything more than professional.

happyhippy posted:

Delenn is the main character in B5.
She's pivotal in EVERYTHING apart from the crappy parts of season 5.

Her acting is really not there and she's definitely a feature character which is kinda the problem with the show.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Timby posted:

"Acting is really not there" is definitely the show's biggest problem (O'Hare, Jurasik and Katsula were really the only ones who ever stood out), but as KHS said, Furlan's ability to emote is better than most of her colleagues. Her biggest problem is having to deliver some really, really rough dialogue while still tripping over her accent.

Yeah, that's true- I think if Delenn's dialogue was a bit more on point and punchy she probably would've been easier to watch.

I thought Bill Mumy did a pretty good job, too, as well as the first actress for Na'toth.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

Her "Why not?" in Severed Dreams is my favorite Delenn line. The rest of the speech is fine, but that "why not?" has just the perfect degree of dismissal.

"Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

I thought it was a cool line but delenn's delivery was flat, much like her character overall.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pick posted:

I have NEVER seen a more wrong opinion on this ENTIRE WEBSITE.

As the show goes on, they focus more on Delenn and Sheridan and put her more and more forward and it sucks because other characters who are less monotone get sidelined for her. I had absolutely no problem with Lennier who also kinda had that thing going on.

I also thought the Rangers were pretty dumb and a bit on the nose for what JMS was going for.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, I found the worst performance to be Furlan's over the whole show- O'Hare did reasonably well with the material he was given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pick posted:

I mean, I have heard people make the same claims about Mira Furlan and in that case I nearly flip

Boxleitner, Doyle, and Furlan all put in weak performances on B5, some of the latter might come down to her writing, but I was never really impressed with those characters' moments.