Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Data Graham posted:

E: that said, the "all of Earth's religions all lined up for your perusal" at the end of The Parliament of Dreams was unexpectedly moving.

Eh, I'm a little indifferent to that. It pulls out the ol' Star Trek cliche of "One Planet = One Culture...except humans 'cause we're super special" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't worry, you'll learn about what and why

Yup.

There's little bits and pieces through the next few seasons, and then it's all laid out in the B5 movie "In the Beginning."

There's 6 B5 movies:

"The Gathering" which also served as the pilot, so you might have already seen that. If not, you should watch it if only for the introduction of an important character later.

Then there's "Thirdspace" which takes place about midway through season 4.

"In the Beginning" is the best of the B5 movies by a LONG shot, in so much as it's very, very good, and the others range from "total poo poo crap" (Legend of the Rangers) to "it was ok, I guess." (the rest.) But it is VERY spoiler-heavy. It gives background details on smaller things hinted at or briefly mentioned in earlier episodes. You shouldn't watch it until after you've finished Season 4.

"River of Souls" takes place sometime in Season 5. It's got Martin Sheen, but that's about all it's got going for it.

"A Call to Arms" takes place after Season 5. It's ok. Served as a sort-of pilot for the B5 spin-off series, "Crusade." Which if you want more B5 in any form you can watch after you watch "A Call to Arms."

"The Legend of the Rangers" comes after "Call to Arms", and it was also intended to be a pilot for another spin-off. It's complete dig poo poo. Like..it's better to not watch it. You'll be tempted for more B5, and think "it can't be that bad." but it is, and it will taint all the other B5 you watched.

Then there are two "short films" made about ten years ago called "The Lost Tales." They're ok. Each is self-contained and pretty much entirely centered on one character.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

"The Quality of Mercy": daaamn, nice set of double-twists in this one. I was about 2/3 of the way through and thinking "Wow, it seems like the doctor lady and Franklin have come to a nice pat agreement; seems this one's wrapped up early". But then the murderer story tied back into it all of a sudden, and then just as I was kicking myself for not seeing that coming, there's another when she suddenly goes all badass. That's quite a piece of writing.

Quality of Mercy is probably my favorite Season 1 episode just because of that last scene.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also an episode that you think is a one and done, but is important in the future.

Indeed.

In addition to the alien healing device used to save Garibaldi and Ivanova's lives, it introduces the concept of "Death of Personality" used quite well in "Passing Through Gethsemane."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Drunk G'Kar is Best G'Kar.

"They were the bad guys, as you say, and we were the good guys!
And they made a very satisfying thump when they git the floor!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8OBQ-tHsY

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

So that's ... S4E06, and the show's apparently over?

I mean...there's still the whole Earth Civil War thing going on...

BTW, if you want to, now would be the best time to watch the Thirdspace movie.

It's ok...I like it more than it deserves because I'm a sucker for

extra-dimensional/Lovecraftian "horrors." Also, that awkward elevator scene with Zack trying to hit on a telepathically possessed Lyta is hilarious.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I remember back in the day, JMS would post a lot on Usenet boards and argue with people who said someone like President Clark could never rise to power, fascism couldn't possibly take over again, especially after another 200 years of progress, etc...

He would say that there's always the potential for it, point to several examples from history and say how it's a slow process of politicians seeding doubt and fear, and that it's not like a fascist dictator was simply elected overnight.

Welp...

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2016 around 14:38

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DAS Super! posted:

I still get bummed out when Walter White gets sent on his suicide mission.

if you think of him as Tim Whatley, it becomes easier to accept his death.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, Vir may be gone, but I was in the grocery store last weekend and saw this:

Who's Zima sign in the Zocolo is outdated now, hmmm?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

fist4jesus posted:

I'm having such a nice time doing a rewatch and then BAM King loving Arthur.

"THEY were the bad guys, we were the good guys; and they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Seems like.y to be engineered because itís very unlikely for a disease to be 100% contagious and 100% lethal.

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/airborne-prions-disease/

Though it's worth noting there are no airborne prion diseases. So unless you work in a very unsanitary butcher's shop, sawing through mad-cow infected cattle brains all day long, it's not a concern.

But even without that added bit, from everything we know right now, prion diseases are all 100% fatal, and that's WITH what little treatment we can give. And it clearly doesn't take much to MAKE them aerosolized/airborne, so add in some weird evolutionary path and I could see the potential for a prion or prion-like disease for aliens that can be spread through the air.

Rabies is also 100% fatal without treatment, I think, and if treatment is after symptoms show, then it's still close to 100%. But it's not that contagious, and certainly not airborne.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at Jul 19, 2018 around 18:43