Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It could only have been better if they'd managed to get Patrick McGoohan in to be one of the interrogators (I believe this was a plan they had)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You're past all the rough stuff now

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It happens at least once in the main B5 run too, with "everybody lies" when they're trying to root out the mole

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's funny that overthrowing the government in a military coup backed by alien governments then becoming galactic dictator is more or less what Clarke's propaganda was saying he wanted to do

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It also doesn't work as well with the Ubermenschy undertones of the telepath war

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Earth: Final Conflict was good in the first season, went downhill from the second and fell off a cliff in the fifth trying to chase ratings by badly aping Buffy.

The actor who played Sandoval turned up in Designated Survivor out of nowhere and made me smile

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It'll be the zoom and cropped 16:9 same as on Amazon I bet

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I quite enjoyed Jeremiah at the time, no idea if it holds up.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The gospel preacher in "and the rock cried out no hiding place" had some good scenes in his one episode

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Am I the only person who doesn't mind pillar boxed 4:3 for shows intended to be 4:3? Zoomed and cropped 16:9 last time I watched through B5 on Amazon was an inferior experience to the 4:3 version I have. If they have something better to scan from, fantastic, but I'd far rather have it in the aspect ratio it was originally intended to be in.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Even if it was shot in 16:9, the shots are composed in 4:3, because that's what most viewers were going to watch it in when it was first aired. So with the existing 16:9 release you get a combo of live action shots where everything is blocked in a 4:3 box in the middle, the composited live action/FX shots where they have to zoom and crop so the quality plummets mid scene and it's framed weird and the full CG shots that are made to look even worse by grainy zoom on the low res and also with bad framing.

A higher res scan can fix some of these problems, or at least even out the quality, but 4:3 is still a better option in my opinion

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Iymarra posted:

Also not for UK as far as I can see. Goddamn it

On the bright side, I found a budget miniseries with Bester/the guy who plays the fish guy on star trek disco/the woman who was the head of atlantis research in stargate atlantis and also teal'c too as some folk on a spaceship.

It's awful and apparently done on a shoestring budget.

UK had it all on Amazon last year, then it was being shown on a freeview channel from beginning to end until a couple of months ago. Now they've shown it all Amazon might get it back.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Maelstache posted:

Eh, it was never taken off Prime in the UK as far as I can see? Annoyingly it's not in the subscription package though, you still have to pay for individual seasons/episodes.

Ah right, I didn't check after having watched it once on Amazon. My 4:3 .avis are still superior.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The station is orbiting Epsilon III, which implies at least another two planets in the system.

The staging point off Io is a completely different location, which is in the Earth solar system

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Babylons 1-4 span in both directions. Now what went into deciding which colours they were, that might be interesting.

Babylon 1 was red, we know 4 was green and 5 is blue. We can presume 2 and 3 were also coloured differently, maybe orange and yellow for a rough rainbow order.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ThingOne posted:

Well that escalated...everything.

So Earthgov has decided to drop the act and go full fasc and of course that means they're cozying up with the Centauri. Meanwhile the Centauri are so high on their own success they think they could've attacked Babylon 5 and gotten away with it. They're going to overreach eventually and get burned bad and I doubt Space Satan is big on helping out failed minions. I'm not sure if Londo not being able to see Kosh is a sign of how far he's fallen or if it means that the Vorlons never tampered with the Centauri.

Edit: The fact that the Vorlons have apparently conditioned younger races to see them as angels is a bit odd in it's own right. If the Shadows are such bad news it seems like you wouldn't need extra prodding to accept the their help.

Understanding is a three edged sword

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The ony way to improve Intersections would be if Patrick McGoohan had been available to play the interrogator (as I think was the original plan)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why the Vorlons thought it was easier to steal from the future rather than just build their own is anyone's guess.

B4 was a way to rules lawyer their way out of directly interfering in the little competition they have going

also it amuses me greatly that it must be a bit of a Bill and Ted moment of 'remember for later we need to send a station back'

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Cartagia is clearly Caligula though (or at least the long held perception of him)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I want to see how people transfer between the counter-rotating parts of B1-4. The relative angular velocity has got to require some good timing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

CainFortea posted:

Elevator to central zero g tram, move over to next stop, elevator down. The rotational velocity is zeroed out slowly over the elevator ride.

That would only be possible at the two ends though, if at all. One is counter-rotating inside the other

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I just want to imagine a hole in the floor of the inner tube that you have to jump down at just the right time to land safely in the outer shell

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The remnant of Kosh Naranek forces Ulkesh Kosh off the station to their deaths to protect everyone as well.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not sure why we need to spoiler tag this but I won't be a dick by accident

The Vorlons have no qualms about genetically modifying and practically enslaving individuals to serve them and their needs (eg Sebastian, Lyta) and modifying entire species to naturally view them as divine and a turning a significant subset into living weapons.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Doctor Zero posted:

In the past new watchers would find their way to Sigma 957 and join us and we would watch and marvel. Now the younger races have founded their own society but we still keep traditions here.

ZOG

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There was a time and permission factor involved too. Everyone else was too busy to have time for the ethics debate they would have demanded to have if he'd let anyone else in on the plan.

I choose to believe Marcus is the genuine nice guy that nice guy creeps think they are. Susan even says he never asked anything in return and he never mopes or complains that he deserves her, Lennier style. The short story never happened.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I feel very dumb for only just realising that Delenn paraphrasing Sagan could easily be reconciled as Sinclair/Valen's doing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm just happy that someone somewhere with decision making power has accepted that zooming and cropping to widescreen is not a superior experience to a consistent 4:3 version

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The Prisoner is such a mess that it's not possible to create a viewing order without continuity errors. Still great, but not really a good example of a well plotted show.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a tragedy that McGoohan wasn't available to be an interrogator in Intersections in Real Time.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Early How I Met Your Mother did a few unreliable narrator gags with events that happened later on: 'oh wait that wasn't then, that was years later, I'll tell you about it another time' kinda stuff

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Londo's jacket being out at the cleaners so he has to wear his old purple one, just in time to see his vision correctly fulfilled is a nice little moment.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I, for one, am happy to be spared Jerry Doyle's opinions on a Babylon 5 reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the most successful in the country. But he loved B5 and by all accounts was a great guy to hang out with on an individual level, so I dunno that it would affect any opinion he might have about a reboot if he were around.

'Dirk Benedict on Starbuck being cast as a woman, but worse' would be my prediction