Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo the Babylon 5 on HBOmax does not look good at all. Maybe its just me I dunno it looks really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zat posted:

It looks as good as it ever has. Though the video is slightly more visibly compressed on HBO Max than on Prime Video, smoothing out the film grain a bit, but nothing major.

It's a huge improvement over the DVD versions anyway.

Note also that The Gathering is not remastered, if that's what you started with.

Yeah that's what I started with. That's what's listed as S01E01. I haven't seen Babylon 5 in literally 20 years or more so be interesting to rewatch it. I remember some major plot archs but a lot of the middle stuff I don't remember at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm through most of Season 1 of B5 now and drat is it good. Like some of the episodes are kind stinkers, but when its good its really loving good. Just got through with Voice in the Wilderness.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Finished Season 1 of Babylon 5. I sleep skipped a few episodes but overall I really liked it. I'mma try to make a effort to watch all episodes going forward though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm now on Season 2 Episode 18 and goddamn this show is good. Even despite the really really bad CGI which I've grown now accustom to its totally addictive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm basically rewatching Babylon 5 with very little memory of it. I just got to Episode 19 Season 2 The Long Twilight Struggle and goddamn I had totally forgotten of the turn out of the Narn Centauri war. Goddamn it is brutal how powerful the episode is

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Polaron posted:

Yeah but then you don't get the hilarity of seeing Bryan goddamn Cranston show up in full Ranger getup.

Wait Bryan Cranston was on B5!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm actually kind of excited. I just started rewatching the whole thing after not seeing it for 20 years. It'll be interesting to see if it makes it through developement. JMS has just gotten better with writing Sense8 was super loving good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It'd be definitely gayer this time around.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm on Season 3 Episode 4 and its great to see Brad Dourif in B5.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Holy poo poo Episode 10 of Season 3 is loving intense! this isn't even a mid season finale. Shits going out of control!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

pentyne posted:

The episode with the Markabs essentially committing self-genocide because they refuse to believe the truth about a disease is over 25 years old and if they did it again today people would lose their poo poo on them for being "political" and it would be just glorious to watch unfold. Of all the things to change, remaking that episode and keeping to the original plot would be amazing.

I never read or heard anything about the background for that episode, but the context in the mid 90s make me think that AIDS was likely a factor in writing the story.

I just watched that recently and it definitely has a feeling of being a AIDS allegory especially because they think its a moral failing which is what people thought about AIDS during the 80s 90s and even now. It was really good.

Its interesting to me because I think its the episode that shows the show isn't afraid to end on a total downer. A lot of episodes end on a downer or on a "no real ground was made".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Holy poo poo balls this lady in Season 3 episode 12 Sic Trans Vir, Goddamn Vir's to be wife is a total loving psycho. :psyduck:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I feel like I've reached the Cool Zone of the series I'm now on Season 3 Episode 16. A Whole bunch of poo poo has happened. Some of it pretty dire. Its good though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They should do the original idea for DeLen where she was suppose to be male then turn female. Would be really good and cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's a real oppurtunity to make agressively progressive Scifi with the new Babylon 5. I feel like with JMS work on Sense8 that its likely to be pretty out there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just got to Season 3 Episode 20 And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place , Goddamn it I'm half way through it I have to finish it later but dammit dammit dammit G'kar you fool why did you go to Narn!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

God the ending of this episode is one of the absolute best moments in the whole drat series.

I'm on pins and needles I don't know whats going to happen.

edit:

drat that was good was not expecting that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 1, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm now on Season 3 Ep22 Z'Ha'Dum and drat this is intense. Sheridan's wife shows up! WTF. And John is going to go with her. This is hosed. Sheridan has to know that this is bad idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just finished Season 3 Episode 22 Z'Ha'Dum , drat that was good and this new opening is different with everyone saying something is cool and good. I'm now on Season 4.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just finished the episode super bad rear end. I kind of remember some of this when I originally watched it on TV 25 years ago. Sheridan went out like a loving boss. I know he comes back but drat I dunno how. Maybe that piece of Kosh he has in him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've made it to Season 4 Episode 4 Falling Toward Aptheosis. Goddamn the Emperor of Centauri is totally mad. Love that character its so :psyduck:.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't see how its only 5 episodes into the season 4 and poo poo is already going sideways. I dunno what the rest of the season is going to be about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm now at the Bryan Cranston episode of B5. It's good.

edit:

Well now I'm on season 4 episode 6. The shadow war is over? WTF are they going to do the rest of the season. Everyone just left.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 2, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's pretty drat good I'm excited to see what the rest of the season is going to be about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This poo poo moves fast I was not expecting Bester to turn up again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm at Season 4 Episode 11, I have no idea where this is going. My memory of the show from 25 years ago has faded. The only thing I remember is Sheridan gets captured and poisoned with a corned beef sandwich. Ivanova dies and Marcus uses some machine to bring her back. Garibaldi is a sleeper agent for the Psicorp

I have no idea where this is headed. I mean its season 4 and episode 11 and things are heating up with the Earth v Babylon 5. Its good so far.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm at another episode of Season 4 Episode 14 and Bester has shown up again. Its seems he has shown up just to piss off Garibaldi and Lyta lol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've made it to Season 4 Episode 18 Intersections in Real time. Goddamn. This show. Can't believe all that's happened. drat Bester is cold as ice. I can't remember if he gets his comeuppance or not. I hope so.

edit:

WTF I finished Season 4 , it was really good but what the loving christ was that last episode.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 3, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm on Season 5 Episode 2 now. First episode was pretty good. The Long Night of Londo Malari is really good though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm on Season 5 Episode 6 Strange Relations. I really don't like Byron. This whole telepath sheltering thing is going to go loving sideways badly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Got to episode 7 Season 5 Secrets of Soul. Franklin is pretty high and might about helping the Hiyaak. Still don't like the Telepath storyline.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I got to the Penn and Teller episode. Also apparently it was also written by Neil Gaiman so that was a big surprise. Pretty good episode so far.

edit:

Oh hey big loving surprise that the telepath colony turned into a total poo poo show because their leader had a martyr complex.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 4, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Besters back and the Telepath thing is hopefully winding down. I'm on Episode 11 Season 5. Besters great to hate. Koenig is so wonderful in the show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just really don't like the telepath storyline that much and that seems to be the main focus of the season so its been rather unenjoyable for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well the telepath thing turned out about how I was expecting it to turn out. I'm now on episode 12 Season 5. Glad that particular storyline was finished , hopefully. Disappointed no one killed Bester.

I don't like the new music for the series and I don't like B5 opening. I liked the narrative opening more , but whatever. Its still really good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm really digging the idea of G'Kar becoming a spiritual leader. Waiting to see how that turns out. So far the season is really good but it has this real anticlimactic feel to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Got to Episode 13 Season 5 The Corps is Mother , The Corps is Father. Good episode so far I like that its focused on Bester. I really dislike Bester but drat does Koenig play him so well that you kind of love him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat Season 5 episode 14 The Corps is Father , The Corps is Mother was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've made it to Season 5 Episode 17 Movements of Fire and Shadow. drat really hoping things turn out alright for Londo and G'Kar. Mostly I'm worried about G'Kar. This is a much better plot than the telepath storyline.