Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

We just watched The Gathering the other night. Aside from Takashima's unfortunate acting and Dr. Kyle's propensity for the thousand-yard stare (granted, he saw a Vorlon), it's fine.

Every time I watch B5 I like it more. Even the so-called bad parts. Once you cross the threshold and can see its flawed earnestness as a feature rather than a bug; as part of its charm, as the scrappy underdog much like many of the cast members - which was semi-purposeful as to the feel they were going for - it becomes amazing.

I'm not saying the bad parts are bad intentionally, but the struggle was real.
Are there any documentary movies or books on the show's production and all the poo poo that went crazy? I have heard a lot in snippets here and there but it seems like something that'd be a really interesting thing to sit down and watch or read.

Milky Moor posted:

I remember something like this, too. I want to say that his hair was supposed to be short because only Centauri of status were supposed to have such outrageous hair (and Londo didn't have that status) or it was inverted.

Either way, Londo ended up with maybe the biggest hair of all the Centauri. No other Centauri - not Lord Refa, not any of the Emperors - come close.
One of the things I love about Peter Jurasik is how happy he is to entirely own something as ridiculous as that hair and then make it work.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://b5books.com/2016/06/28/hbos-silicon-valley-raids-babylon-5-costumes/

as an aside: anybody ever get one of those coffee table books that're sold out?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 10, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dirty posted:

Ron Thorton's ill :(

https://www.gofundme.com/2pbngrnc

We have him to think for all kinds of B5 CGI goodness.

This really makes me want to go re-install Escape Velocity with the full B5 quest and skin mods. :3:

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Walker Smith half of the TKO episode is fantastic. You've forgotten that wandering-outsider-combatant was a major category of film back then. B5 was artistically obligated to show deference to the genre. They did a great job, the space 90's costumes were great. Its also the Zima episode. Doubley so in the sense that its an acquired taste no lost to most audiences.
Those Smirnoff Ice things are pretty close to Zima but yeah, it was certainly unique.

Also never forget Bawls :911: