Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching a few episodes a week with friends, and going through Clark's takeover a few weeks back was unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
His ship blew up the Dilgar war criminal and her immortality serum, before Earth forces could scoop 'em up. Shadows would have thought the kinks she built into that stuff were hilarious.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it helps that the basic personality trait of the Religious Caste is a kind of knockoff-Vulcan refined befuddlement. The Warrior Caste gets to barely kettle their anger all the time, but it's rare to see one of the priestly types really take up any emotional space.

Friends and I watched Refa's death scene a couple of months ago. I don't think I'd seen the episode since it aired originally, and spent the entire time giggling and rubbing my hands, just waiting for it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's easier to bend over and kiss your rear end goodbye without pants on.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

In that scene he's the smuggest dude in the entire planet. Some people consider Bruce Boxleitner a bad actor, but I loved him in B5

I grew up watching him in things like TRON and Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and B5 when it aired in my early twenties. I'm hopelessly biased in favour of the man, regardless of what his actual acting chops may be.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sinclair: Well, after all, no one knows exactly what you look like. That makes some people a little nervous.
Kosh: Good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the angle of the head. Having it raised higher makes it look like Kosh II is sneering at everything in contempt.

It probably doesn't hurt that he looks like he's cosplaying Maleficent, too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"This is some tasty spoo!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
*click* *click* *click* "Zathras see O'Brien have very sad life too."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Besides some of the actors these days the only things I remember about Seaquest is that there was a dolphin and two of the later episodes, one which had terrorists or whatever blowing up gigantic global carbon dioxide scrubbers (because we killed all the plants???) and another where some guys were doing the decidedly non-sea-related activity of being commandos in a jungle. That may have been the same episode or neither being an episode of Seaquest at all.

The terrorists were combat replicants, who everyone hated because racism and future-Vietnam veterans. They were also capable of surviving in a lower oxygen environment than humans were, so the plan was to suffocate humanity and take over.

There was a big, mentally challenged one on the Seaquest crew too, and I don't want to think too hard about that confluence of traits right now.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of Star Control.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll never forget that dream sequence where Kosh is saying his goodbyes through Sheridan's memory of his father. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Well Gosh, they were all really impressed down there, I can tell you."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

And have George's father in the line up of earth religions with the Festivus poll.

Oh my god, yes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Friend says: "Airing of greivances against the Vorlons."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still have a soft spot for Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Brad Dourif has been a favourite 'that guy' actor since Lynch's Dune. Doing a spin on the Demolished Man was cool, too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still amused by the father threatening Franklin with a tiny little knife as he and his family backed out of medlab. That was a nice touch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
For me, the pilot is something fun to come back to and play 'spot the foreshadowing' with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
What Dirty said, essentially.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

One thing I'll never forgot about Star Trek TNG/DS9 was that they cast the best actors as Cardassians. Like it was on their casting sheet "Be able to go toe to toe with Patrick Stewart or similar"

"Convince me that there are five lights."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME!?
i hear you

I live for that exchange.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

JMS posted his memories of Harlan Ellison (too long to post here):

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/1999083533459833

I'm tearing up. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

I think Tatooine was supposed to have been a much nicer planet in ages past, though I may admittedly just be remembering old EU stuff that has no relevance any longer.

This was suggested by a bit of Tusken lore in one of the Star Wars CRPGs, but I won't guess where that fell in the old layers of canonicity.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking of the episode where they're chatting cloak-and-dagger stuff in the bathroom, and in the background there's this sealed airlock door marked 'Pak'ma'ra use only'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think one of the most underated moments of B5 is G'Kar's little speech about an Ant to Catherine Sakai.

This. So much this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Platonicsolid posted:

It's here, and added to the lappy in honor.

( NERDING INTENSIFIES! )

This is why I need a laptop.

Edit: Nice! Mine arrived too. Thanks, Pick!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 31, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Drunk Vir is almost as adorable as just-got-laid Vir.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

That sequence always puts me in mind of Holst.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

wizzardstaff posted:

S1E10, Believers - I thought this could have been a Star Trek script almost word for word until the last five minutes. If it had been Trek, the doctor would have done the operation, the kid would have been quiet and moody and ambiguously soul-less before being whisked away by angry parents, and the captain would have given a monologue questioning whether the right choice was made. Instead we got...what we got. It reminds me that the show has a different tone that I need to prepare myself for.

I always get a kick out of the dad pulling a tiny little knife on the doctor. It's the, er, little touches.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I love that motorcycle B-plot in the dorkiest way possible.

Marmaduke! posted:

Anyone know how you translate the garbled spoiler talk in the comments?

I dunno if browsers can do this by default any more, but I cut and pasted it into https://www.rot13.com/

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Platonicsolid posted:

Brought to you by Interplanetary Expeditions, the Anla'shok Historical Fund, and Viewers Like You

We pledge for the One, we man phone banks for the One.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
By G'kwan! What is that man doing to his dumpgate?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I missed insect dude later on.

A friend of mine still carries a candle for that weird mantis dude.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably one of the reasons why I'll always have a warm spot for B5: it reminds me of original-series Doctor Who and BBC Shakespeare productions.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Vavrek posted:

I believe so, just ... a year before the start of season 1.

Lurker's Guide gives Feb 22, 1993 for The Gathering's air date, Jan 26, 1994 for Midnight on the Firing Line.

I remember setting time aside to watch The Gathering, and then waiting that drat year for the rest of the show to finally air.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

wizzardstaff posted:

The redeeming lightness of this episode, and what made me smile at the end, was Ivanova doing a When Harry Met Sally fake orgasm dance and all but fist-bumping the ambassador's servitor in recognition of him getting dunked on.[/spoiler]

This is probably one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. Especially that bit at the end.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well if you're going to have a hyperspace dimension, you might as well make it weird and crazy instead of just normal space but fast.

My favorite version of that is Star Control, where they totally mix around the galaxy into their own map.

I read this post, and the Hyperspace music has earwormed me. I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That kind of thing really peaked in the seventies and early eighties, and petered out shortly afterward, if my media consumption's any indication.