Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Later on, not really a spoiler, Dr. Franklin describes his religious views as "Foundationist" which is basically a searcher who tries to find the truth in all religions. I don't remember if he says it but it strikes me that this is probably the closest to JMS's philosophy.

How well Franklin's faith serves him probably fills any remaining blanks in pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, if the show had treated Sheridan a bit more harshly on that I'd be fine, but Garabaldi's opposition is dismissed as mind control and Deconstruction of Falling Stars basically goes "Sheridan did nothing wrong and thinking so is wrong". It's probably my least favorite episode of B5.

I'm not sure Deconstruction of Falling Stars actually does that, though. The episode filters Sheridan's achievements through the lens of a society that is looking for a way to 'justly' go to war with their neighbours; but particularly in the hologram scene, there's consistently more than a grain of truth to what is being said via the characters.

The point of the episode, as far as I'm concerned, is that any society sufficiently removed from events can use them to further their own agenda.
Sheridan did a whole bunch of stuff that makes a lot of sense to the viewers of the show and the people who were in/around B5 at the time, but as the show points out, very few people on Earth were aware of the Shadows/Vorlon war and the way that the propaganda shield evaporated when Sheridan attacked liberated Earth meant that a lot of that information was probably only given to the population post-fact. And if you've been living in an environment where your 'news' is controlled strictly by the state, you're likely to treat the news that you're free - announced by the same media channels that fed you propaganda for so many years - with more than a little suspicion.

If the average person on the street doesn't have an annotated autobiography for Sheridan going into detail about everything he did and why, I can easily imagine it being easy as gently caress to spin that he did it all because he hated humanity. He was responsible for the deaths of thousands of humans; those deaths wouldn't have happened if he hadn't intervened; I can't imagine the transition from police state to democracy being a smooth one, so add in a whole bunch of crimes. All because Sheridan listened to aliens.

Not sure if that makes sense, I'm tired and slightly drunk.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Baka-nin posted:

The Rangers always confused me, and I still don't see how Marcus is supposed to work, he's supposed to be helping run a secret underground network of soldiers and scouts, but he's so loud and flamboyant in mannerism that he sticks out like a sore thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_Y4MbUCLY

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I tried watching Alias when it started showing in the UK, except I was living in Wales at the time and S4C (Welsh-language version of Channel 4) made it unaffordable.
Unaffordable in the sense that they'd change the time (and sometimes day) it aired at, from anywhere between 22:30 and 01:30. Meaning that the only way you'd know when to turn your TV on would be to buy a copy of the TV listings... which I couldn't afford as a student.

But you can bet your favourite sheep's arse that Pobol y Cwm was on at the same loving time every day.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

SG-1 was weirder since a lot of those planets had been populated for thousands of years. But there were some that they mention massive cities on and just didn't show because of budget, presumably.

Also, the Goa'uld coming by every so often to just wreck poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It ties into the overall theme of the show - the unending fight between order and chaos. Although it's a little confused, politically, since fascism is all about strict order and control and Earth is always getting 'corrupted' by the chaos faction.
Let's not forget Clark turning the orbital lasers onto Earth once he'd lost, although I agree that Garibaldi sending Earth back to the dark ages is pretty awesome.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Oof, Confessions and Lamentations hits a lot harder than the last time I watched it, that's for sure.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never actually did the math on just how many people Talia had sexual tension with until The Doctor complained about her third instructor ex-lover.

Franklin snarking on anyone else over their love life is :irony:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Seemlar posted:

The show never explored it further, but back in the day once the malevolence of Kosh's replacement was clear and the Vorlons shown to absolutely not be few in number or lacking power, I assumed that Kosh telling Sheridan there were too few of them to help meant there were too few sympathetic Vorlons like himself

Vorlons are just ur-Boomers.
99% of them think that everyone younger them is an idiot, politically naïve and the only reason they're even alive is because we built this loving galaxy and now you kids want to tell us how to run it, but gently caress you, we'll do what we want and if you don't like it, we'll genocide the loving lot of you, we earned these genocide credits, not like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only thing a thread on forums.somethingawful.com needs in order to be filled with assholes posting spoilers, is for it to be a thread on forums.somethingawful.com