Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

The 90s were a magical time

Wasn't until the 2000s they became "Enhanced Interrogators"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Pretty much.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"President Trump signed a decree today declaring marshal law..."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's martial law, unless you want a clone army of Tommy Lee Jones controlling the judiciary.

Yes! Best typo ever. :-)

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

It's funny that overthrowing the government in a military coup backed by alien governments then becoming galactic dictator is more or less what Clarke's propaganda was saying he wanted to do

He's hardly a dictator, though. We see the limits of his power pretty clearly in season 5.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

But the back half is so much better!

Downes was early on in his career, with only a few credits before B5. I tend to pin the Telepath arc's crappiness on a lot of other factors before him. Too bad he became the face of it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The Gathering is most interesting to me as a production artifact. Once you're a fan, take a look to see how all the pieces started to get assembled.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I recall reading that all that was supposed to pay off with Talia later orln, but it got scrapped when Andrea Thompson left, and the role got shifted to Lyta. The powers Lyta got from the Vorlons would originally have been to Talia from Ironheart.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

I'm still amused by the father threatening Franklin with a tiny little knife as he and his family backed out of medlab. That was a nice touch.

All you need in their culture - just cut your opponent and they have to kill themselves.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Yeah, too often expanding the lore actually compresses it. Everything is conveniently connected, it make the universe feel small. It's lazy writing, which means it's easy, and often very fanservicey.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

What I really need is a new Babylon 5 video game. I really want a video game adaptation actually of Babylon 5 Wars, because that table top game is hard to find now.

Held on to the Into the Fire poster for years. What might have been...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

It's here, and added to the lappy in honor.

( NERDING INTENSIFIES! )

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Evil is mundane

One minute you're just drawing a pay check, the next you're forcibly separating parents and children, never to be reunited.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

That's the thing about the show that still impresses me - few episodes are total garbage* with no impact. Even one-offs like TKO still do world and character building.

*Grading on the "Shoestring budget 90s Sci-Fi" curve

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'd always thought it was clan related. Head bones are familial, and while some families have a predilection towards a caste, it's not dispositive.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

B5 is essentially framed as a docudrama of future historical events. The grand shape of things is always given in the past tense, while the specifics of time and descriptions of place are in the present tense.

Brought to you by Interplanetary Expeditions, the Anla'shok Historical Fund, and Viewers Like You

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

We pledge for the One, we man phone banks for the One.

We mail you this tote bag for the One!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Delsaber posted:

A buddy of mine is watching B5 for the first time on Comet and doing a pretty good job pointing out guest stars I've somehow never noticed in three or four runs, such as Jessica Walter as a random senator in Season 2. It's pretty fun to have a fair number of fresh eyes on this show after so long.

Keep an eye peeled for a young Brian Cranston too.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

doing the incredulous “these are G’Kar’s quarters; this is G’Kar’s table; this is G’Kar’s dinner” routine come out really clumsy and stagey, but it definitely gives the show character.

That was always one of my favorite bits for him, though.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

As I recall, didn't a lot of the production staff have a theater background, and so use theatrical tricks - lighting, flippable sets, etc - to save money?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

head58 posted:

Since there are a bunch of people watching for the first time I’ll take the opportunity to plug the B5 podcast I do, The Name of the Pod. We go episode by episode but focus more on the enduring legacy of the show in genre television rather than just synopses, and we try to avoid spoilers of what’s coming. We’re in the middle of s3 right now. We’re not complete garbage so maybe give an episode a listen.

I'll check it out, I do need more non-political podcasts. I hope it's better than Jumpgate - I listened for a while but something about their tone was very grating.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I wouldn't call Strazynsci a hack or a one hit wonder - he did yeoman's work on TV scripts for decades - but I do tend to think he had one great idea, B5, which he's been recycling or attempting to recapture since.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

There's a later S2 episode that establishes that hyperspace is very strange, and not shaped like realspace. Two points can be close in hyperspace but very far apart in realspace.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Narsham posted:

Talia would presumably have gotten triggered and then saved by the recording Kosh and the VCR made of her, if she hadn't been escape-hatched.

Which sort of begs the question why the Vorlons would care about Talia personally. Or would Kosh do it just for giggles?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

It's noted at least once or twice that our Kosh has an interest in humans that borders on the unseemly, isn't it? Plus that psychic exchange where he manifests as Sheridan's Dad. I can imagine him being that kind of sentimental, as well as paternal.

Eh, I always felt that was unearned, less shown than told. But then I never found the Vorlon motivations that coherent.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Name of the Morph

Leonard Maltin gave Morphblast more stars.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

head58 posted:

It wasn’t 100% in JMS’s control though because he lost Michael O’Hare between Babylon Squared and WWE. I have to imagine that required some effort to bend the whole storyline to where Sinclair could still be The One and Sheridan/Delenn were still the main characters. I wonder what that would have looked like if O’Hare had stuck around for the whole run - would that 2 parter have been the series closer at the end of season 5?

Pretty sure that was the original treatment, or at least the concept at some point in drafting. The cycle would be have been closed at the end of the series, when Sinclair got sent back to be Valen.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I always thought the five seasons were supposed to act like five acts of a play, with the last season acting as the denouement.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I always took that line to be knowing and sarcastic. Fascists rarely view themselves as fascists. I mean, until a few years ago...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I played the hell out of the board game in college. Still have it, although I'm not sure it holds up. Very fiddly and late 90s/early 2000s.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

And "beyond the ring". I'm inclined to chalk it up to bad proofreading/editing, which nobody does anymore.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Greatest Generation is the superior Trek Pod.

Sadly I've never found a B5 cast that wasn't bad or grating.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

This should help.

Belatedly, but drat do I want that was a giant wall poster.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

Better than that Londo doll.

It's a mockery!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't platonicsolids posting that.

I find this far more gratifying than I should. :sparkles:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which I guess is a condemnation of the presidential system.

Truly America's most dangerous export.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 9, 2019

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Genocide sucks, who'd have thought?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's weird that after season 1, there's no real problems with raiders ever again.

Which I know that those raiders were being sponsored by the shadows, but it still seems like if it was an issue back then, it should be possible for other groups to start operating. Organized crime in general practically disappears.

I'm fairly sure they admitted somewhere - DVD commentary? - that the Raiders were largely something they'd throw in in season 1 to give some action beats.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

How do you not love the accidental Canticle for Leibowitz scene?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

Pound pastrami, can gasoline, six bagels, bring home for Valen.

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

That's pretty nice. Wish there were one of the station itself. I've seen one shared by a guy from a few years ago, but didn't have any plans with it.