Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
RIP Vir :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My parents have been rewatching the series lately--it's one of their favorites--and one thing I noticed is the change with their 4K TV. This is where it seems like I'm about to veer into something critical, but quite the opposite. One of the first things I noticed on their 4K is that TV shows and movies looked a lot more like crappy theater sets than they used to. So when I sat down to watch some B5 with them, I thought, "Oh man, I can only imagine how Babylon 5 is going to look, considering it looked like a live theater stage in fricking 1995." And the answer is, I think it actually looks basically the same, which is good! Most of the shows look worse on the 4K, but Babylon 5 seems to have the stage-set mentality from the get-go, so if anything it works better because it was going for a more authentic presentation from the start.

Additionally, they did a good job casting people who look pretty normal, even in the backgrounds. There's a really good range and though different cultures have different outfits, a lot of it feels really practical.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As much as I'd love to see the cardboard tubes holding up the gauze in the Emperor's throne room :downs:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno, I always thought B5 seemed realistic. It's mostly cramped, feels very military. There's plenty of automation. I also would guess there are other command areas, C&C is likely coordinating and issuing orders to other departments.

There's even an episode about that where Earthgov wants Sheridan and Ivanova to pay 30 extra credits a week to stay in quarters with an additional 7 square feet.

Anyway, let's look at some quarters

Clearly the main difference between Minbari and Centauri cultures are camera angles and vases.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 27, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Londo's is the only odd one out in that it doesn't quite feel right, it sort of feels like the clearance section at a Pier 1, but it doesn't really matter. The rest are stellar, and when Londo is onscreen you're just watching him anyway. Peter Jurasik owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's fascinating in that you can kinda see what the original version was like from the scripted lines, with G'Kar just quietly (or threateningly) enjoying getting to watch Londo die, but it is so much more G'Kar that he sees it all as a grand cosmic joke. He doesn't have to kill Londo, he doesn't have to do anything and he still gets to watch him die :munch:.

That is everyone's favorite scene, it just loving owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-SJh8szjA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm in the middle of S2 so I don't think I've seen him really verbally destroy someone yet, looking forward to that now.

Do, because it owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

I thought it was a cool line but delenn's delivery was flat, much like her character overall.

I have NEVER seen a more wrong opinion on this ENTIRE WEBSITE.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Season 1 has some funny-rear end episodes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22m3YR1tZ7k

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

They sort of do. There's a scene a few episodes later where Delenn is sending a report back to Minbar and says "There have been ... difficulties ... in concluding a trade agreement with the Lumati." It's a throwaway gag, but great fun if you spot it.

JMS never forgets.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It doesn't matter if Marcus "acts like a spy" it matters if he is an entertaining character who fills a good niche in the show. To be honest he's my least favorite major cast member, but I deal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Sheridan doesn't quite work as a balanced character who "may or may not be in the right". He's presented as in the right basically all the time. It's arguable a few times in text, or in what he's actually doing, but the show doesn't do a good job as selling it as morally grey. Might just be how Boxleitner plays it.

Kosh I think was more of an unknown quantity when B5 was originally airing, I mean we go back and we know the context now so it's hard to revisit the mystery of it.

Byron just isn't being played right for what he's doing. I don't think it's the actor's fault but he was not the right choice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons they don't want to remaster for HD is because people would be able to read all the jokes on the arrival boards. One S1 episode has a board indicating the imminent arrival of the Rolling Stones farewell tour.

Hehehe. That rocks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5's relationship with Earth is part of what keeps it grounded as something more than "humans hooray!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had a dream last night that I won a call-in trivia show hosted by Alex Trebek. My final question required me to know that Babylon 5 had a crossover episode with Seinfeld. I know this didn't happen, but... it's too bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

JMS only having one good story in him doesn't mean no one else could write one.

Maybe in that universe, he's done great work elsewhere, even with nonfiction as with Changeling.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BrandonGK posted:

There's a part of me that wishes we could've had a Babylon 5/DS9 crossover just to see an indignant speech-off between Bruce Boxleitner and Avery Brooks.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 29, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

One thing I'll never forgot about Star Trek TNG/DS9 was that they cast the best actors as Cardassians. Like it was on their casting sheet "Be able to go toe to toe with Patrick Stewart or similar"

Oh I completely agree, the actors portraying Cardassians wipe the floor with everyone else, Gul Dukat especially. That's why I'm a cardie tankie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Q_res posted:

That's awesome as-is, but I think I preferred it as a simple line drawing tbh.

It's not actually shaded yet but I won't have time until later.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All the Cardassians are great. It's like listening to what Bashir is saying the first time we meet Tain. Tain's telling the lies he needs to get Bashir to tell the truth that Tain wants to know, and he uses his lies to disguise why he wants to know it. Good poo poo.

Why, at those best moments, it's almost as good as Babylon 5 is all the time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Especially their dicks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The French are generous lovers

They’ll give all six

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They guard front doors

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm like 99% done with this, and it's going to be made into a vinyl sticker. Send an e-mail to sendthemtopick@gmail.com if you want one, so I know how many to order :toot:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darth Freddy posted:

Saw that this was on amazon prime and geeked out a little to hard, wife made fun of me. Haven't seen this show since I was a kid so binging hard. Just hit the second season today.

Yesssss so good. Post as you re-realize how great it is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Katsulas and Jurasik are a loving joy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You will know pain, you will know fear, and then you will die have a pleasant flight

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are so many. Even beyond Lost in Space Kid.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darth Freddy posted:

drat, just watched confessions and lamentations. Wow I did not remember this one at all from when I was a kid. Kind of ballsy to wipe out an entire species and have no real redeeming ending.

It's a Strong episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's also all the stuff they originally planned on doing with Delenn. JMS is awesome he's a weirdo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
S5 is better than people give it credit for, but yeah I just skip the byron scenes. It's easy in a world where you can just fast-forward stuff that isn't working for you personally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah and it's important that the Shadows aren't evil, per se. I mean there is something to be said for their method of instituting personal growth versus the opaque and order-driven vorlon perspective. Which is the whole point. Killing a bunch of people randomly with no purpose in the greater narrative isn't really that Shadow.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

I do like how the Vorlons were not the obligate good guys, and in fact were fairly evil themselves. It is a nice twist and change of pace for the ancient races to be really two sides of the same coin and the other races are the actual protagonists.

It is extremely cool that they’re equally evil, which is not really as evil as blindly ideological and in need of some perspective checks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kosh IS good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kosh 💕

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh man. There’s... so much for you. There’s so much in your future

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes, untreated rabies is 100% fatal. Kind of amazing,

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I got my wife hooked on Babylon 5 and we have been watching the show a lot on Amazon Prime. :homebrew: We are half way through season 2 now, so the Narn have declared war, the centauri emperor is dead, and Earth Force is way too relevant and real to 2018.

Oh man just wait until you see what else happens to Earth that is extremely fuckin relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of people who died though !