Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know it's a plot point, but I love how the Minbari warrior caste hates Sheridan for being dishonorable about seeding nukes on asteroids, when the Black Star was gunning for them specifically because they were sending out a distress signal saying they were harmless.

You reap what you sow, assholes.

(my favorite moment in the entire series is when he does it again to the Vorlons and the Shadows. 'They're pissed" indeed.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One thing I dug about B5 is that at some point during the Earth/Minbari war, even the rear end in a top hat warrior caste was beginning to think this poo poo wasn't so fun because they were wrecking poo poo way too easily.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm kinda on a B5 kick but I don't have the time to watch it all to answer my question: what was the supposed-to-happen endgoal for the Vorlons and Shadows? Each of them inspire a bunch of lesser races, and have them goad their respective disciples into a war to see who wins (and thus is proven right)? I get it from a conceptual level ("you lost your way, you were obsessed with being proved right"), but the Shadows were actively involved in the last Shadow War, which seems like it wasn't supposed to be part of the deal.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Was the decision to end the overarcing plot of the story in the early-to-mid part of S4 a choice, or the result of the cancelled-wait-no-we-aren't situation the series had near the end? Every time I do a rewatch, I'm pretty much done after that.

I love that Lorien says "oh they are here to talk to you, I can't interfere", but the minute the Sheridan's words fall to convince them to gently caress off, Lorien has to steps in and goes "Hey my dudes, this guy is right".

e: oh man, I love when the nukes go off and it jump cuts to Tallman's :stare: face.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 15, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

JMS has never exactly hidden the inspiration he took from Lord of the Rings. In the book the struggle does not end with the destruction of the One Ring; nor does the story in B5 end happily as soon as the villain is defeated.

Yeah, I get that it's kinda a LOTR thing, I was wondering if the overly long and unnecessary post-evil segment (just like the Scouring of the Shire is) was intended as such, or the oddness of the shows fate made it required and JMS was just spinning it as a LOTR thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Any particularly solid/interesting podcasts about the show? There's "The Audio Guide To Babylon 5", but for all I know I'm missing something I should put my ears to.