Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rewatching the show and I had forgotten about G'Kar's fetish for human women.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Someone needs to write a story about the poor sod who gets called in to work on G'Kar's laptop and stumbles on the ambassador's browser history.

The real reason why the techno mages fled was because G'Kar had asked them to update his software.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

G'Kar has his poo poo in alphabetized folders while Londo accidentally downloads a virus on limewire.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Narsham posted:

Everyone talks about the Technomages but nobody spends a moment to think about the poor Technosupport staff.

I hear after the Great War they hired a couple of Zathrases.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It seems like the person powering the Great Machine has run out of juice. Would you like poor, old Zathras to order a new one?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jng2058 posted:

B5 knew more or less where it was going from the very first episode.

One thing I had forgotten about the show is that Londo says how he's going to die in the first episode.
I also like the random pak'ma'ra who walks into the assassination attempt at Lyndista in Sic Transit Vir, realizes what's going on and slowly backs away.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch:
Swedish meatballs are the one universal constant.
Vir apparently lost a lot of weight in the week after Sheridan went to Z'ha'dum.
It's amazing how Londo manages to portray himself as the victim.
Marcus Cole is basically a space samurai and yet he's the biggest dork on the show.
Did you know that Ivanova is russian? Because she will bring it up constantly.
It must be infuriating to work in a place where everyone answers even the simplest question with a vague philosophical parable.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 15, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Don't let your media consumption ratio fool you. The rank and file of the trumpers are broke as gently caress as well. They're just not usually the ones traveling across the country to do protests.

Because they can't afford it probably.

No they're not:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/13/white-trump-voters-are-richer-than-they-appear/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Clarke isn't that popular either. The moment there's evidence for foul play several colonies revolt, a big portion of the army defects and Clarke has to use draconian measures to keep power.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: Those minbari uniforms the Babylon crew gets has to be the ugliest piece of design ever. Especially those vests they added.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

I always got the impression the colonies were unhappy, and what happened with Clarke simply give them the opening to break off.

Yeah, Mars was in a constant state of rebellion during the whole show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: Apparently a side effect of becoming a telepath is long and luxurious hair.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

No wonder the Narn want telepaths.

I'm pretty sure G'Kar owns at least a couple of human hair wigs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: Doctor Franklin's self righteousness reaches critical mass in Secret of the Soul as he condemns a race to go extinct because their ancestors committed genocide. Also, my face when Rebo and Zooty shows up:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 11, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Maddeningly hard to take (compounded by my distaste for Gaiman when he tries to get a bit too precious, like the bit with Zooty's translator at the end) but the incomprehensibility of the humor is wholly by design. Imagine going back to the 1950s and explaining that in the future, for a a couple of years people were going to lose their poo poo over a picture of a cat that desires a cheeseburger. "I don't understand, why does the cat talk like that? Is it a China-man?"

That meme is older than you think it is:

My main objection is that Penn and Teller are unfunny libertarian assholes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: Lochley's hair is reaching centauri proportions:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I definitely like Believers more than I do TKO. Sorry audience, you don't get the good ending, the kid is dead. That's what happens when you cut him open like a meat animal. Welcome to Babylon 5.

It also shows that the main characters will gently caress up royally even though they're the good guys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not as hilarious as seeing Bob Kelso as a space captain.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm also going to be a contrarian yet again, and say that I don't want the tone of a new show to be significantly different from the original. Seen a lot of posts about wanting it to be hornier

Babylon 5 was plenty horny though. G'Kar's fetish for humans, Londo's dick in full view, Ivanova having sex with an alien envoy, Sheridan and Delenn having to explore their erogenous zone while her caste listened..

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I don't think the centauri were meant to be very efficient

They had a guard watching a spot in the courtyard for generations because once upon a time a princess wanted to protect a flower. And since you couldn't question an imperial order and the emperor forgot to rescind the order there had to be a guard watching that spot. Even though the flower was gone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

B5 Reboot: The avalanche has started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

So who is Morgan le Fay?

Speaking of, I really liked how G'Kar goes full fanboy when he meets the guy who believes he's king Arthur.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

Bester is so goddamn good. I really can’t think of someone who can have the same amount of menace, competence, and charm in one package while doing it so effortlessly.

The episode where goes to Babylon 5 just to gently caress with Lyta and Garibaldi pretty much sums him up. If he managed to make someone feel like poo poo, he had a good day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babylon 5 rewatch: The Fall of Centauri Prime is so good and effectively the good bye episode to Mollari, even though he'll keep on living for some years. I also love that one female centauri standing in the background trying to sweep up some of the rubble.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please don’t leave the plastic gasoline canisters I asked for in public, it’s too hard to explain them away
The Canticle for Leibowitz really redeems the episode.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 3, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Delenn spending her last years heckling public debates.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's a neat touch that even though they're not part of the plot of the episode you will sometimes see monks in the background.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edit: never mind

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly think that Jordan Peele's "gently caress it, Being John Malkovich is a prequel to Get Out" response is a lot easier to respect.

Why would you care if people theorize about what references you're making in your work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hollismason posted:

drat Season 5 episode 14 The Corps is Father , The Corps is Mother was really good.

The idea that someone would find Bester sexy is kinda disturbing though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

Just got to Babylon Squared in my rewatch. Is that supposed to be the Shadows attacking B5 in Sinclair's vision? Because lol at them using 20th century welding equipment if so.

It's kinda funny how they gave Sinclair a scar in the visions. Then the actor quit and there's nothing that causes a scar. But he still have to have it the next time he shows up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The only opening I don't really like is the first one. It just goes on and on. But even that one has some good parts like "Humans and aliens, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal . . . all alone in the night."

"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

Even that bit's flawed: "two and a half million" would be a snappier, less-clumsy way of saying it than "two million, five hundred thousand". But it is what it is. (Maybe JMS will streamline it in the reboot.)

"A hunk of metal with some weird guys in it spinning in space."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"It spins, okay?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OnlyBans posted:

Spoilers can ruin things that rely on a twist. B5 isn't that though. B5 gets better the more you know. Giving people more to know helps draw them in.

Literally the first time we see Mollari he says "yeah, G'Kar is going to strangle me to death. That's how I die."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hollismason posted:

that really bad haircut

I mean, how would you tell the difference between a good haircut and a bad one in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I got the remaster yesterday just in time for me convincing my wife that we should watch B5. We had already started, got up to and including Believers before we fell off the wagon. But now we've seen By Any Means Necessary and Signs and Portents and she's invested. :toot:

I have to say, the future is loving stupid. Why is the remaster of a quarter century old TV show region locked and almost impossible to get a hold of in Scandinavia? I just want to give you my money for gently caress's sake. The number of hoops I had to jump through to get ahold of the remaster is ridiculous.