Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Oh great, a new B5 thread, now I want to watch this show again, I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Grand Fromage posted:

B5's lost more cast than the original Star Trek.

I'm going to rewatch. Everything. Including the pilot, tonight. I have prepared with whiskey.

All of it? You will need a ton of whiskey, then.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kingtheninja posted:

Only a couple episodes down, I find it weird how often Sinclair sorties in a fighter. I figured he'd do more of what Ivanova does, but maybe he just wants to get off the ship.

He's a pilot at heart, he says sometime that he descends from a family of pilots since the Battle of Brittain, and if you pay attention you can see in his quarters and old sign with something along the lines "Sinclar Air trips", probably a past family enterprise. Also he fought in the Battle of the Line in a fighter, which is one of the most important moments of his life, so yeah, he is quite fond of that. I suppose career officers in the Earth Alliance fleet have to go through a fighter pilot phase before joining the upper ranks.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Welcome, glad to have a new watchthrough, always good for discussion. You'll probably pass my wife and myself shortly as we are not that fast to get through shows, but I have seen it about a half dozen times and she's seen it once.

When we finished she immediately wanted to start again, because she wasn't as keen on season 1 and wanted to see it with fresh eyes knowing what happens later. It really does improve immensely on a rewatch, but that first time leads to some great payoff later on, so stick with it.

I started rewatching the series approximately when this thread was created this time I didn't skip season 1 as I did last time, many years ago and I'm grateful I watched it, it's far better than I remembered.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kingtheninja posted:

Finished Babylon squared. Very curious about the man in the blue spacesuit. And I'm trying to figure out if/how it ties into the shadowy strangers.

No one ever listens to Zathras.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Honestly, the only thing I remember about the first half of season 5 is Tracy Scoggins and how hot she was before abusing botox.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If that's what you're here for just watch River of Souls

What I should do is rewatch season 5 again, I've skipped it in my last couple rewatches and it's probably better than what I give it credit for.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I'm somewhere in the early Season 2 at this point (episode 4 or 5 I think?). I'm kind of taking time to get used to Sheridan, as I really liked Sinclair. What was the off-set reason for switching?

The real reason was unknown until Michael O'Hare died in 2012. You see, many B5 actors have explained for years how difficult it was working with him on set, especially Jerry Doyle, who said O'Hare was quite an rear end in a top hat. The truth is O'Hare was diagnosed with a mental illnes that made him suffer from delusions and paranoia, so he struggled a lot to do his job. He started treatment but it would take time. He only confided in JMS, and was willing to stop filming until O'Hare recovered but eventually they decided it would be best if he left at the end of season 1 and O'Hare made JMS swear to keep this secret until he passed away.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

nerdman42 posted:

So far though, my favorite episodes are the one with Morden. What a fun creepazoid and that whole "What do you want?" questioning of everyone is an amazing tool to understand the characters and move the plot along. Its kind of weird that they were so open about what they want (Delenn aside) but its easy enough to brush over.

Edit: Oh, and does Walter Koenig come back as the Psi Corp guy because he's phenomenal.

Oh yes, you are going to see both of them around. About Koenig's perfomance, it can't be stated enough how good it is, I remember reading an interview where he said Bester was his favourite role on TV and he had a ton of fun with the character.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember the name of the episode but the one with Morden going around asking everyone what they want might be a good S2 choice.

Signs and portents, and I agree with you, it's the first episode 1 to really advance the plot and it received good ratings,.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's martial law, unless you want a clone army of Tommy Lee Jones controlling the judiciary.

That would be awesome, but an army of Sammo Hungs is fine, I guess.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
And the Minbari hated him for what he did in the Earth-Minbari war, kinda funny how that choice turned out.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
God, I wish dock worker strikes in real life got resolved as cleanly as in this show.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying this is new. If anything, the US has been living in a propaganda bubble while conducting a global campaign of terror and making alliances with tyrants for a century or so.

Oh, it's happened before, and it'll happen again.

Your disloyal opinons have been noted and Nightwatch has been informed. Expect a visit from the Ministry of Peace soon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
In that scene he's the smuggest dude in the entire planet. Some people consider Bruce Boxleitner a bad actor, but I loved him in B5

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Good bye Abrahamo Lincolni :(

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Or even as Bill Clinton.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Bubbacub posted:

Just realized there was a Babylon 5 podcast. One of the first episodes is an interview with Stephen Furst. :smith:

Can you share a link, please?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Frankly, that episode reminded me about the Jehovah's Witnesses more than anything else

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yes, I feel keeping the mystery around certain areas is a good thing, helps preserve the mystique. It is a persistent theme on this show how the universe is a big and mysterious place, filled with races and places who even old races like the Minbari know nothing about. If there is no sense of mystery and the unknown, then there's no need for adventurers and dreamers.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Jerry Doyle himself was a recovering alcoholic and of course there was Jeff Conaway as well.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the triluminaries might have been actually detecting Sinclair's DNA. I think the season 4 episode "Atonement" strongly alludes to that: the triluminary glowed for Delenn when she was sworn into the Grey Council. Dukhat knows what that means: she is a child of Valen.

Agreed, the whole "Minbari souls reincarnating in human bodies" theory only was a convenient lie the religious caste leaders made up to cover up the origina of Valen and fulfill the prophecy about the upcoming war with the Shadows

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jedit posted:

Did we even see inside a Centauri ship?

Yes, during the war against the Narns, especifically Refa bring Londo with him to watch the bombardment of the Narn homeworld.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Babylon 5: We are paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It was the year of fire corona... the year of destruction... the year we took back what was ours. It was the year of rebirth... the year of great sadness... the year of pain... and the year of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the year everything changed. The year is 2261 2020. The place: SA Babylon 5 thread

Edit: We are living in the craziest timeline.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 28, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

:aaa:

This looks really good.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
We are never going to get a better remastered version, which is really sad.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Doctor Zero posted:

His saving grace is his scathing wit and effortless delivery by Jason Carter.

“Ok, I’ll get a bucket!”

Yep, Marcus was a dork but he had his shining moments.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

ThingOne posted:

It does seem pretty convenient that the one weakness of the Shadow vessels is telepaths, something almost every major race has. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just that there has to be more to this than we're being told.

Season 5 spoiler
It's implied that the Vorlorns secretly engineered and developed the telepath gene in many races to use as pawns against the shadows. I think Lyta outright explains it at some point in season 5? My memory is fuzzy on that one.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 15, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I"ve been living under a rock for the past few months and I've missed the blind read thread, it's so good. Also I'm partly glad I'm not a first time watcher because for some stupid reason the SA mobile app ignores spoiler tags entirely.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jedit posted:

Only if you have enabled the relevant option in the settings. Spoiler blocks work fine for me.

Jesus Christ, I'm dumb, don't remember ever enabling that option. Thank you.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really like Kosh.

Everybody likes Kosh.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

ZRM posted:

This thread is off limits to them until they are ready. Until they have earned the right to go there. A million episodes from now.

We are beyond the rim now, where we must stay. One day, they will join us, and see all those who went ahead of them. All those that were missed, for so long. They will not be alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tj4qfe9afs

Blind watchers: "Get the hell out of our thread!"

We're literally the Shadows and the Vorlons.

Edit: Spoilers.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 4, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jedit posted:

You just reminded me of something my mother said the first time she saw 4X06. She was intrigued that after Lorien tells them that it's time to go it was the Shadows who asked for reassurance that they wouldn't be left alone. It's almost something that you'd expect from a younger child, but the Shadows are the older race.

Agreed, that was the vibe I picked up from that scene the first time I saw it, the Shadows and the Vorlons put up airs of greatness and enlightment but I would not be surprised if it was confirmed they were among the youngest of the eldest races and they longed for the approval of Daddy Lorien and their older siblings.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Narsham posted:

I think it’s fairly clear that the Minbari understanding of the Shadows is based almost entirely on what the Vorlons told them.

I think it's reasonable to treat what the Vorlons told to the Minbari with a grain of salt, as Kosh said, understanding is a three-edged sword... something something cryptic bullshit

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Doctor Zero posted:

Well I guess it depends on at what point in the series development you want to look at. Regardless, he did have plans for each actor's exit. What's not true from the Younger Races thread was that is was a detailed treatment.

Yes, still pretty impressive work from JMS part.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 6, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
TheAardvark's next episode is "Grail", ha, I'm really curious about what they will make out of it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

CainFortea posted:

The probations have started. It is too late for posters to rate.

And so, it begins.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
If you go to Z'ha'dum the blind thread, you will die get probated.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Stop fat shaming that space station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
You can't hate Sheridan for long, he's too hamtastic.