Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Isn't it weird how the one race that has legit prophets are the Centauri, who weren't visited by the Vorlons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Season 2 finale, when Kosh is force out of his encounter suit, every race sees an angel of some kind according to their religion except for the Centauri, implying that all those races had been genetically tampered with by the Vorlons to respond "favorably" to them. The Centauri having telepaths and prophets seems like they occured naturally instead of being seeded by the Vorlons.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There's definitely multiple readings you can take from that scene. There's the big meta statement on Centauri especially with the time-loop foreknowledge the Vorlons would have that the Centauri would essentially be the first beachhead for the Shadow offensive. It could be a personal comment with Londo, with his lack of spiritual belief, or perhaps his connection with Morden has rendered him some protection from Kosh's projections. Or maybe Londo is just plain damned.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That was the original actress too, not the replacement right?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

JMS is kind of a big whiny baby that repeats the same general plot points in whatever medium he's working in. I'll always love B5 but I've really soured on his output afterwards.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

no goddammit NO

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

They did a really great job making the encounter suit expressive with little more than head movements and eye-aperture changes.

And just how loving sinister Kosh II was in comparison with Kosh's subtleties.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

Boy am I glad that I don't have to wait between the s3 finale and starting s4.

Edit: Ha, I love that they show Vir's little wave in the opening now.

The original air dates for B5 were super weird, I remember War without End being the big season break, and S4 starting almost directly after Z'ha'dum.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

http://epguides.com/Babylon5/

It's really weird. Season 1 up to late Season 2 (Confessions and Lamentations) ran almost uninterrupted with a few 1/2-month breaks. This continues to War Without End, until Intersections in Real Time and a big break after Deconstruction when they switched networks.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

TNT marketed B5 reaaally hard in the beginning of the season (iirc they did a full daily schedule marathon of seasons 1-4 in the s4/s5 gap), and it seemed like there were barely any ads at the end of the run. In the Beginning was a pretty great way to kick off the TNT transition also.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 16, 2017

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Everytime I see a glut of new posts in this thread my heart skips a beat thinking another cast member died :/

And yeah the Gathering is extremely optional. If you find yourself going, jesus christ I have to sit through another hour of this, just skip ahead to the series.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Space: Above and Beyond is what comes to mind.

Grand Fromage posted:

Space: Above and Beyond was the same era.

drat you!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dirty posted:

-Earth: Final Conflict - I have a lot of affection for EFC, but it's terrible.

The first season was passable near-future sci-fi, with basically Roddenberry's treatment of the Vulcan's first contact with earth. Then it went... so far off the rails after that. But I still kept watching to the very strange end.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Same thing with Andromeda, it was a decent enough low-budget stab at that "Starfleet ship gets thrown into the far future where the Federation is gone and chaos reigns" idea with all the franchise serial numbers filed off, then Sorbo got increasing creative control and it morphed into Space Hercules. And both of those shows had especially terrible final seasons where they ditched nearly all remaining traces of the original premises to take complete left turns into :wtf: land.

I seriously forgot that Andromeda existed, but now I'm getting flashbacks to Sorbo wearing chain mail in space. The, uh, ship was cool in it at least?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Vorlons ruin everything.

You are not ready for immortality.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

V-Men posted:

I generally enjoyed his run on Amazing Spider-man, as long as we forget Sins Past ever happened.

Ditto. ASM and Supreme Power before he lost interest and abandoned it were all good poo poo. Everything else though..

Oh I almost forgot JMS was responsible for getting me into Thor. it's a shame how that run ended with the drama between him and Marvel.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jedit posted:

He didn't lose interest in Supreme Power, he was ordered to tone it down and quit rather than comply.

Tone it down in a Max series? That's... that was the original point of the brand...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, I found the worst performance to be Furlan's over the whole show- O'Hare did reasonably well with the material he was given.

I didn't have any problems with the main cast, though obviously some were stronger than others. The guests-of-the-week though... man there were some bad actors there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Leave B5 alone, remake Crusade so it's actually watchable

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah the telepaths being shipped to run as shadow cpus was a preventative effort against the league telepaths jamming their ships. It's a weird perversion of their intent as a weapon also since telepaths were engineered by the Vorlons to be used against the Shadows.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Amazon's encoding is all messed up for the cgi scenes. In the dvds I think it's 30fps for the cgi and 24 fps telecined for live action, it looks like they reverse telecined the cgi and hosed up the frame rate badly in the process.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Also this is just the worst article

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-quick-hack-guide-to-watching-only-the-best-of-babylon-5

I can understand wanting to skip large swaths of season 1 but this author even omitted Signs and Portents.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I liked Infection... I'll take it any day over a self-righteous Franklin story

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Airspace posted:

I have access to The Gathering but it sits there, unbidden. Unwatched.

I like this arrangement.

Good man.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I've watched s1 of B5 countless times and I've only made it through the entirety of TNG s1 once, when I was a kid through syndicated reruns.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

McSpanky posted:

If you can't handle Babylon 5 at its worst you don't deserve it at its best :colbert:

You gonna watch Legend of the Rangers now?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Narzack posted:

Alrighty, I'll just peace out from the thread and just watch the gently caress out of the show. I do like it a lot. about halfway through the gathering, and I don't see what all the hate is for, apart from some really weak acting from the Lt. Com.

Please keep posting in this thread so we can live vicariously through fresh new eyes

Give us your innocence...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Midjack posted:

We all would have been better off without the Lyta/Byron gently caress scene.

jesus that was a weird loving scene

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I always felt that DS9's music never really matched the tone of the show. As uh, dated as B5's soundtrack may be, it was really effective in how it was used. I can clearly remember specific pieces associated with important moments in the show (especially from the ep, The Long Twilight Struggle), and the theme music in each season except maybe the fifth season all felt very iconic.

Meanwhile I literally can't remember a single piece of music from DS9.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GLOW has one of the best current opening themes but I guess it's not conducive to binge watching so Netflix only shows it on the first episode of each season..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HqErTHlDMg

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Selachian posted:

Just finished my binge rewatch (in my wife's case, first time watch) last night with "Objects in Motion," "Objects at Rest," and "Sleeping in Light" last night. Needless to say, there was way too much dust in the ol' living room.

I seriously think the back half of season 5 is even stronger than most of season 4. It's just such an emotionally satisfying journey at that point, maybe with the exception of incel Lennier.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

jerry seinfel posted:

G'kar was bodyguard was just weird to me because G'kar just has so much going on.

Like in between authoring critical documents for the alliance, and being an elder statesman and revolutionary figure twice over for his people now he's gotta follow Londo around.

I'm mid season 5 and just wrapped up the Byron storyline, but what ever happend to Ta'Lon?

You'll find out soon!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Workers don't have headbones cause they use it to build their spaceships, duh

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's really weird. Like did she just refuse to accept on-set direction or something?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The pilot seems to be missing from amazon, so I just started with the first episode and have kept up fine aside from a sense that there’s an extra thing or two I should understand about Kosh’s status or what others think of him. But I feel like anything about him that’s part of the original premise will be recapped when he starts becoming more important.

I think the Gathering is actually more contradictory with what is later revealed about the Vorlons, tbh, but you're right in that what is followed up on later will be explained. One character, Lyta Alexander, the resident station telepath, was changed when the series went to air into Talia Winters, but they bring Lyta back in significant capacity in later seasons. That's the only really important thing from The Gathering.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pick posted:

Man it bums me out when people rag on him, he's a great writer and made a great show I love a lot.

I love Babylon 5 but his output since then has been really hit and miss, especially on the comics side. He tends to reuse the closed time loop a lot in different works, particularly in origin stories.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I like to think JMS contributed all the sci-fi and conspiracy plot aspects and the Wachowskis did all the interpersonal stuff as well as everything lgbt and the group orgies. God Sense8 is the most magnificent mess and in a better timeline it would have gotten 5 seasons but I'm happy with what we did get.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

B5 and DS9 are two conceptually similar shows that went down very different paths and are both excellent in their own ways. Being a kid and watching both of them airing concurrently was loving fantastic even if a lot of the themes went way over my head at the time

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Seemlar posted:

If Warners would just let go of it, I'd take a 4:3 upgraded release in a heartbeat. The 16:9 version was a nice idea but at this point it's just a novelty, one that actually harms to experience with what they had to do to the FX to fit with it.

Definitely this. At some point it was even streaming on some service at 4:3 SD quality without the jarring transitions and cropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pick posted:

- pizdulgir

A phone decal of this would be sick